• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku receives death threats for reporting No Man's Sky delay

daveo42

Banned
Man...fuck these people. Just fuck 'em. You might not like the guy or the site he's on or whatever, but once there's some layer of anonymity, people turn into absolute douche-cocks and threaten his life? Like, what in the absolute fuck is wrong with you?

Jennipeg

I just don't understand this, I think people need to get a grip. Why threaten the guy writing the news anyway, did he delay the game? Is someone's life over because of it? So depressing.

Anonymity turns people into the worst version of themselves. Wonder if we'll ever find a solution to this one day.

People are just terrible period. All you have to do is look to Facebook and Twitter to see that people really don't care about attaching hatred to their real name.

Boke1879

nothing about these children constitutes an industry.

Yea while it happens in this industry it's not limited to it. Look at sports, politics, movies. Pretty much anything in the modern culture has fandom and pricks willing to say and do stupid shit in defense of it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The death threats aimed at Jason and the Hello Games team in response to this are absolutely baffling and appalling.

I'll personally prank order 1000 pineapple pizzas to Hello Games and SCI offices if they dare to show another space pan out demo of NMS for like the fifth time and leave Gravity Rush 2 out of the conference.

Press Sneak Fuck is cool in my books doe. Don't get why he is getting any heat.

besada

Banned
Let's avoid inline linking of people's shitty responses to this. All you're doing is giving them more visibility.

yami4ct

The idea that Death Threats can be seen as 'lol just trolling' goddamn abhorrent and a good chunk of why the internet is in the state it's in.

Are we finally going to admit there are serious fucking problems with the online gaming community? Yes, people on the Internet are shitty in general, but there is an incredibly potent toxicity that infests gaming specifically

Kvik

BeachClasherMDR said:
Be afraid, human

I imagine he looks like this:

latest

Kidding aside, why haven't Twitter done anything, though? All those promises for curbing abuse?

This makes me miss GFW Radio. This angry guys rants and death threats would make a great Hero of the Web segment. I read his rantings in Whiskey Nerd's voice.

udivision

It's not even that Jason said the game was trash or that the developers were poopy heads.

He said "I have reason to believe it will launch at a later date" and that was enough to get the rage machine started.

This industry is fucking Embarassing.

This game will probably be the next spore and be quickly forgotten and people are threatening death over it. Jesus Chris

Have you paid attention to the sports industry? This isn't a game industry exclusive problem.

cyba89

What a stupid crazy person.
What will he do if the game turns out to be 'just okay'?

Also really bad that Twitter does nothing about this.

Mr-Joker

Banned
In the UK sending death threat is illegal and can land you in trouble.

Honestly people just need to learn that writing death threat isn't cool nor is reading them isn't nice and I will never understand why people resort to sending death threat.

The worse part is that site like Twitter does nothing to help people who have received death threat other than offering pointless advice while the account remains active.

Maxim726X

Of course this is disgusting and shouldn't be tolerated... But does anyone else think that posting this isn't the best idea?

I feel as if all Jason is doing is giving idiots like this a platform for their stupidity, so they can have a moment in the sun.

TUSR

Banned
Im a little out of the loop here, but can someone clarify the course of events that lead up to the confirmation of a delay?

Twitter as a business is so out-of-touch with their users it's unreal. They're like the SEGA of social networks.

Start protecting your users.

OmegaFax

This is disgusting. It's just a game. It's developed and marketed by a lot of people. Powers of business and whatnot can't always hit a date on a calendar and it's unavoidable.

jbug617

Banned
Jason posted another comment in the discussions part of the article that talks about when is it okay to talk about leaks etc
Most of the news you see on gaming websites is aggregated from elsewhere. Few reporters are regularly pursuing scoops and cultivating developer sources, which is why these conversations so often center around us at Kotaku.

So! When is it OK to post about “leaks”? The easy answer is “always.” A reporter’s job is to get information to readers, so when information comes that reporter’s way, it’s their responsibility to verify and report it, right?

Of course, things aren’t always that simple, and there are sometimes legitimate reasons not to report on something, especially if it’s something that people will find out about anyway. There are a lot of factors to consider. Who is this information going to serve? Who is it going to hurt? Does the news value justify reporting this?

“News value” — that’s the somewhat vague rubric we often use at Kotaku to determine whether we should report on something we hear about. Is it newsworthy that EA is releasing a new Madden this year? Probably not. Was it newsworthy when we reported, back in 2013, that despite the Fallout 4 hoax, Bethesda was indeed working on Fallout 4? Absolutely. Is the story of Destiny’s troubled development newsworthy? 100%.

But there are plenty of cases where the answer to that question is no, and in those cases often we choose not to report things we hear. I had a conversation with someone from Ubisoft earlier this year and I told them that I’d heard bits and pieces about For Honor (aka “Hero”) before it was announced at E3 2015, but that we chose not to report that stuff because it didn’t seem newsworthy enough. The Ubisoft dev told me that getting to show off the trailer and surprise people, unspoiled by leaks, was one of the best moments of their career. That had an effect on me, believe it or not. It’s one of the reasons we haven’t reported on Ubisoft’s next new IP, which I’ve also heard a bit about.

Now back to No Man’s Sky. When we asked ourselves whether it was newsworthy that this ambitious, crazy-hyped game had been delayed, the answer we arrived at was always “yes.” I first heard about this from a single (very reliable) source a few weeks ago, keep in mind, so when a second source showed me GameStop marketing materials that corroborated it, I knew it was for real. At that point I wouldn’t have been doing my job if I chose not to report it. It’s news.

Neiteio

I know of incidents in my area where people said far milder things about Obama and were questioned by government agents shortly thereafter. Too bad we don't have the resources to dedicate similar responses to all of the other whackos making death threats on the Internet. If someone came and checked on them, many of these cowardly types would be too spooked to pull this stunt again.

KevinCow

Banned
This won't stop until someone finds a way to press legal action against the idiots who say this shit and they start getting arrested for it. Death threats can get you arrested in real life. They should get you arrested on the internet, too.

shandy706

Are we finally going to admit there are serious fucking problems with the online gaming community? Yes, people on the Internet are shitty in general, but there is an incredibly potent toxicity that infests gaming specifically

Looking at Twitter, I disagree that it's specific to anything.

Anger and "death threats" can appear for almost anything it seems. Canceled concerts, sports teams losing, someone just saying something controversial, famous person saying they have a boy/girlfriend...and on and on.

All these people need to be checked into mental hospitals.

Do people who say "Who cares they're just trolls" think it's just one person who sends people garbage because they didn't like what a creator or whoever had to say? And that they as moderately public figures are not gonna take death threats seriously?

Honestly the amount of entitlement, lack of empathy, and just general shittiness from people is infuriating and disheartening. Doesn't help especially this is basically Twitter in a nutshell after years of people calling them out on how they handle harassment.

I've heard of death threats being sent for movies too, it's not exclusive to gaming.

Death threats in gaming tend to be more visible as the community and developers are linked much closer than any other industry, so it has more impact and is brought to our attention more often.

Someone sending a death threat to say Tom Hanks for Da Vinci Code won't get as much press or visibility as someone sending a death threat to Hello Games because H.G are more likely to post about receiving death threats.

At least that's my take on it.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Devils advocate here but it was pretty fucked up of that Kotaku writer to personally delay a videogame like that

oti

Banned
I did not expect parts of the No Man's Sky fanbase to be so ...... intense.

I guess thats just space games for ya.

My guess would be that Sony giving the game the prominent spotlight it has gotten adds a certain allure to shitty internet idiots.

yami4ct

Of course this is disgusting and shouldn't be tolerated... But does anyone else think that posting this isn't the best idea?

I feel as if all Jason is doing is giving idiots like this a platform for their stupidity, so they can have a moment in the sun.

Shutting up, saying nothing and letting these assholes continue to scream insults hasn't fixed the problem either. Might as well try a different approach.

What a crazy world. Death threats because Jason reported the delay and threating the developers because they confirmed it is just crazy. Social media, anonimitty and the sense of entlitement really brings out the worst of these people. I have no words, and it's sad how this shit is rooted on gaming.

Aselith

It doesn't matter if it's just trolling to those saying that. It has to be taken seriously because there's no way tell which is a serious issue when a bunch of people are doing it "for the lulz"

Sober

No Man’s Sky director Sean Murray tweeted on Saturday that he’d also received death threats for the crime of delaying his game a few weeks.
I didn't know receiving death threats was now part of the game dev cycle.

Gator86

Devils advocate here but it was pretty fucked up of that Kotaku writer to personally delay a videogame like that

Yeah, even for assholes on the Internet, this is weird. It's like threatening a weatherman for saying it's going to rain during the weekend. "I can believe you made it rain. I planned to go to the dog park. You're gonna die tonight!"

MCN

Banned
Shit like this is why so many gaming websites are glorified PR shills. Any attempt at actual journalism and reporting is met with extreme vitriol from the people who should be benefitting from it.

Top Bottom