• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Final Fantasy Versus XIII dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"No money to spend on towns since we spent it all making really pretty CG sequences that people are only gonna watch once. Sorry."

I've never understood this; FFXIII had cityscapes, NPCs, and shops in the same area. They just dual purposed as dungeons or events (whatever you want to call Ch. 7). At one point on Gran Pulse,
the party enters an empty town
. It's all there ... unless you want to argue that it doesn't count because the dual purpose and they would have had to stretch out their resources to create "real dungeons" or something.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The thing I really don't understand is where the Luminous engine fits in, they've already said they want to move away from large scale internal development. They've had huge issues with the White Engine/Crystal Tools, did they make this pretty demo just to appear relevant, or are they actually going to build a Final Fantasy for PS480 on it? It'd be a huge risk, no matter how closely they want to ape the West.

Actually I wondered whether that was a mistranslation. Was Gamasutra actually at that convention in Taiwan? I looked through the related news piece on Famitsu with my bad Japanese and also read a 2 rather detailed reports on a Taiwan gaming news site and they've never mention anything about not doing large-scale internal project again. One of the Taiwan articles on the actual presentation has a part where he talks about how FFXIII-2 development is different because it's the first time they outsourced development for an FF title in order to control budget and efficiency. If Toriyama had mentioned such an important point at the presentation why didn't the Taiwan reporter (or Famitsu's) mention this in their report? Almost all of the Gamasutra article matched up with what was said in the Taiwanese article except for this very pertinent part about not doing large-scale development in the future. Was there any other source for this piece of info (that didn't cite Gamasutra)?

NeoUltima

I doubt this is Nomura's fault. It could be, but I imagine it's the company withholding the needed team size to get the project done, and if so, it's almost certainly frustrating him more than as any of us.

I recall reading in an interview (or maybe I am imagining things) that much of the Versus team was working on XIII. So Versus development never actually began proper until after XIII finished.

RedSwirl

I freaking love CG. The opening battle to FF XII, the attack on Eden in XIII and the Mac Forest scene from X not to mention all the great work in VIII and IX are among the highest of highes I've ever had with games.

That said, 2.5 Mill a shot is crazy and I wouldn't really blame them for dropping them.

I definitely think CG is less necessary these days. You should really only use it in scenes that display something of a scale totally beyond what you're doing in the real time engine, and real time engines are capable of a lot more today. The reason you had so much CG in the PS1 days was because those real time engines couldn't do a whole lot, like complex facial expressions for instance. Another thing to consider is how much disc space CG takes up now that developers try to do it in 1080p.

Is the JRPG genre really dying in the west or is Japan simply struggling to have a strong showing on consoles? If I'm not mistaken, Tales of Vesperia became somewhat popular simply because it was a decent JRPG. If anything, people are probably hungry for a quality JRPG but Japan just isn't delivering anything like their output in the PS1 and PS2 eras. Unlike last gen, where there was fierce competition among JRPGs, there isn't really that much competition. If a developer can produce a successful JRPG, it might be a great time to do it if the development costs can justify it. But this is just my conjecture.

I personally think it's the latter. Or at the very least, it's almost impossible to know if JRPGs have lost appeal in the west because there haven't really been enough on consoles to test that appeal.

Derrick01

Banned
As far as making CG goes, I feel that was slightly less dumb since at least they could write it off as part of the marketing budget.

Spending CG money as an expensive commercial seems a bit different to me than spending $10+ million on CG that only shows up in the game without gaining any extra marketing attention.

Yeah I don't think CG should even be in games at all anymore. It's an outdated and overly expensive concept that takes you out of the game due to it looking 100 times better than what you're really playing. I get it for commercial purpose even if I personally hate it as it's misleading (due to it looking better) and tells you nothing on the game, if I was a casual I would be upset over those and the live action trailers that are so popular now.

Dalthien

No, because that presumes he always knew what the situation would be.

For example, he could have been given a small staff, maybe twenty people, to get the ball rolling on a full scale PS3 FF, with them putting in the foundation so when the time comes, SE can send in an army of two hundred to generate all the assets needed, and the army never turns up. That's not his fault.

No, that wouldn't be his fault. But that is also a difficult scenario to envisage. If SE initially agreed to a 200-man team once the ball was rolling, and then got cold feet and said screw it, then there's no reason not to communicate that with the fans at that point. Let people know that the scope and scale of the project has been drastically reduced in order to let people know what kind of product to expect.

In this case (from an outsider's perspective with absolutely no inside knowledge), it appears that SE probably expected a project at the scope and budget (and probably even smaller) along the lines of XIII (considering that it would be unusual for a spin-off to command a higher profile than a main entry). But Nomura ran off designing something far grander in scope and scale than SE had ever committed to. So now we have this mess that has been dragging on for an eternity now.

Of course, that doesn't absolve SE for letting this thing drag on year after year after year. At some point (much earlier than now) they should have realized that Nomura's vision was inconsistent with the expected budget and timeline for the game, and either made him fit the game to the required budget/timeline, or just move the project to another director. So SE is equally culpable in allowing this farce to continue for so long.

kinn

Oh SE, you have lost your way in this world. Pick up the phone.

1289397996-sakaguchi.jpg

Bring him back!

DanielJr82

I don't think they cancelled the project entirely. It's probably continuing on as FFXV... for next gen? Who knows. No way they aren't going to recycle all those assets.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This is what they said in regard to cancellation rumors for the Crystal Bearers back in 2008:

We have never announced that Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers has been cancelled and have every intention of releasing it. There may be some concerns as a firm ship date has not been set but rest assured there will be an announcement once we finalize the date internally.

Although there are many Square Enix related rumors out there that we do not comment on, due to the feedback from the readers, we felt it was necessary to provide a statement to alleviate the worries of those who are looking forward to the game. The fan base that the Final Fantasy series has is appreciated by everyone at Square Enix (not only the developers) so we hope this statement will prevent any further spreading of the rumor.

We apologize for any unnecessary distress this rumor may have caused and hope the fans of the series can again look forward to the upcoming release of Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers.” - Square-Enix statement

So hopefully this week they'll say something similar.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is what they said in regard to cancellation rumors for the Crystal Bearers back in 2008:

So hopefully this week they'll say something similar.

Given that they also commented on Versus after the staff redirected to Final Fantasy XIII statement, I feel it would actually be an actively bad sign if they don't comment by the end of the week, since they definitely have a history of doing it for sufficiently large rumors.

I'm thinking the reason it might be a bit more problematic now than the Crystal Bearers situation is there wasn't any need for a name change there. Recent interviews about the game make me think that's something they're planning on doing, and will re-reveal the game with the new name at TGS. Until then, they would rather pretend it doesn't exist to the public. This would force their hand and require them to refer to the game as "Versus XIII".

Of course the Theatrhythm DLC throws a giant wrench into this theory, so who knows.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm thinking the reason it might be a bit more problematic now than the Crystal Bearers situation is there wasn't any need for a name change there. Recent interviews about the game make me think that's something they're planning on doing, and will re-reveal the game with the new name at TGS. Until then, they would rather pretend it doesn't exist to the public. This would force their hand and require them to refer to the game as "Versus XIII".

Of course the Theatrhythm DLC throws a giant wrench into this theory, so who knows.

Well I mean, Brothers In Arms: Furious Four is obviously being renamed, but no one at Gearbox or Ubisoft had a problem saying it was still in development using that title.

Given that they also commented on Versus after the staff redirected to Final Fantasy XIII statement, I feel it would actually be an actively bad sign if they don't comment by the end of the week, since they definitely have a history of doing it for sufficiently large rumors.

They might not comment if it's TGS bound. And for stock holders, the truth has to come out someday, so killing it silently will only bring more damage in the long run.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Ananaz

Isn't the Theathrhythm Somnus DLC only marked as "from FINAL FANTASY SERIES" anyway, as opposed to "from FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII"? At least looking at some Youtube videos it seems that way.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Isn't the Theathrhythm Somnus DLC only marked as "from FINAL FANTASY SERIES" anyway, as opposed to "from FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII"? At least looking at some Youtube videos it seems that way.

So does the FFXIII-2 DLC song. But in the PR, it says FF Versus XIII, from my email:

SQUARE ENIX is pleased to announce the schedule for 12 additional add-on audio tracks for THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY. Each track will be available for $0.99.

July 12, 2012
1. “Somnus” (FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII)

Well I mean, Brothers In Arms: Furious Four is obviously being renamed, but no one at Gearbox or Ubisoft had a problem saying it was still in development using that title.

I guess. I imagine the way something like this would be approached varies from company to company. Of course it's not likely to be a situation many find themselves in.

Oh jeez....

Yeah, I think it would be a bad idea if they didn't comment.

Sentenza

I really have to ask at this point: what made this versus so anticipated? Wasn't it supposed to be just a spin-off of Final Fantasy XIII, the game that virtually everyone hated?

Pranay

I really have to ask at this point: what made this versus so anticipated? Wasn't it supposed to be just a spin-off of Final Fantasy XIII, the game that virtually everyone hated?

Characters
setting
open world
Combat seems like kh [even though they showed basic stuff] which i like
felt like a fully fledged FF unlike 13

Pranay

Even though FF popularity is on a decline, a lot of friends would love to play versus, because combat seems accessible to them since they hate atb/turn based games

I'm not sure I understand how exactly they'd "quietly cancel" such a high profile project by arguably their most prominent developer now.

They'd just leave it on their release schedule indefinitely? People would stop asking about it?

It's not The Last Remnant...

1289397996-sakaguchi.jpg

Bring him back!
215993.1020.A.jpg

Sequel time.

It was PS3 exclusive, although I believe it may have gone multiplatform over a year ago but far into development and that was one of the main reasons for it long and troubled development cycle.

The main reason I was so excited for the game was cause it was being developed by the KH team and it had a real time combat system similar to KH, but was going to be more mature and dark like a FF game with all these other FF like elements. They said there would be an explore able map for example, that got a lot people excited. Seemed like a mix of the best from FF and KH. Best of both worlds. The game had a lot of promise.

Go_Ly_Dow

Kinding doubting they would rename until XIV and XIII-3 are out the door. They will most definitely be the focus at TGS. Then if we assume they release within Q1 2013 we might not hear anything until E3...

(They also need to market FFXHD and Type-0 Western release at some point)

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

StuBurns

Banned
No, that wouldn't be his fault. But that is also a difficult scenario to envisage. If SE initially agreed to a 200-man team once the ball was rolling, and then got cold feet and said screw it, then there's no reason not to communicate that with the fans at that point. Let people know that the scope and scale of the project has been drastically reduced in order to let people know what kind of product to expect.

In this case (from an outsider's perspective with absolutely no inside knowledge), it appears that SE probably expected a project at the scope and budget (and probably even smaller) along the lines of XIII (considering that it would be unusual for a spin-off to command a higher profile than a main entry). But Nomura ran off designing something far grander in scope and scale than SE had ever committed to. So now we have this mess that has been dragging on for an eternity now.

Of course, that doesn't absolve SE for letting this thing drag on year after year after year. At some point (much earlier than now) they should have realized that Nomura's vision was inconsistent with the expected budget and timeline for the game, and either made him fit the game to the required budget/timeline, or just move the project to another director. So SE is equally culpable in allowing this farce to continue for so long.
Just to be clear, this is all just wild 'what if' speculation. But my point wasn't that SE have changed their mind about the project, as much as they've just taken longer than they should. It seems more a case of having that asset army being otherwise engaged. Originally Versus was meant to be out before Agito, presumably the huge wreaking crew staff were meant to go from XIII to Versus, to Agito, to XIV. However they went from XIII to XIV to Type-0, putting Versus on the back burner. That could be because of release window issues (which people generally suggest), or engine problems, or game design issues. Whatever the cause, Versus didn't go into full scale production until way way later than was originally intended. SE are actually quite open to postmortem style discussions, so I do think we'll eventually find out why that 'army' turned up so late.

nasos_333

It was PS3 exclusive, although I believe it may have gone multiplatform over a year ago but far into development and that was one of the main reasons for it long and troubled development cycle.

The main reason I was so excited for the game was cause it was being developed by the KH team and it had a real time combat system similar to KH, but was going to be more mature and dark like a FF game with all these other FF like elements. They said there would be an explore able map for example, that got a lot people excited. Seemed like a mix of the best from FF and KH. Best of both worlds. The game had a lot of promise.

The best of FF13 does not mean much though

Personally i dont think any FF game this generation has any chance to be anything like FF7-8-9, simply because the graphics cant possible have the detail of 2D backgrounds and art in todays 3D

Maybe next gen we get a better chance

The closest to older FF games i have seen, is the 2.5D Bravely Default on 3DS, that uses some stunning 2D art mapped in polygons

Another thins is the setting, for some reason i cant get to like the new style of FF, i dont like the art almost at all, hated the new summons style etc and found the whole thing very generic looking overall

Aeana

I honestly wouldn't feel anything if they did rename Versus to XIV.
If they renamed Versus to 14, then they would be totally denying the existence of the MMORPG they've been working on for years. If anything, you'd probably feel the desire to laugh raucously.

Roman numerals strike again?

Road

My tinfoil hat version of the story is that SE has been holding back Versus hoping either Microsoft or Nintendo would break them out of the exclusivity. That has not happened.

With the PS3 being last place and FF getting a bad rep by the week, I don't think SE has any confidence on releasing it as PS3 only game at all.

duckroll

http://www.mistwalker-fr.info/images/news/1289397996-sakaguchi.jpg

Bring him back!

This guy is a joke. All the games he has released after getting kicked out of Square Enix added together can't even ship as much as the pathetic FFXIII-2 did. Now he's off doing silly iOS minigames because he has failed at making RPGs anyone cares about. Why would Square Enix want to call him? Lol.

My tinfoil hat version of the story is that SE has been holding back Versus hoping either Microsoft or Nintendo would break them out of the exclusivity. That has not happened.

With the PS3 being last place and FF getting a bad rep by the week, I don't think SE has any confidence on releasing it as PS3 only game at all.

Wow, is this post from 2007?

faridmon

This guy is a joke. All the games he has released after getting kicked out of Square Enix added together can't even ship as much as the pathetic FFXIII-2 did. Now he's off doing silly iOS minigames because he has failed at making RPGs anyone cares about. Why would Square Enix want to call him? Lol.

They never had the FF name attached to them. That is why they failed. I have enjoyed Lost Odyssey more than FF XIII.

faridmon

Nah, they failed because no one wants to play games from a has been loser. You can enjoy them though, but that doesn't change anything. :)

Loser? He made stupid mistake and left SE. As far as I can see, that is the only mistake he did. (Oh and ASH)

I am just saying, if FF XIII-2 was Lost Odyssey, it would have sold more and had better critical acclaim. ;)

Lost Odyssey and FFXIII-2 received similar review scores as assessed by aggregators...
The sad fact is that this would probably be better received and make more money than FFXIII-3 would.
In terms of profit - considering they're presumably just recycling assets for XIII-3 - I doubt it.

In terms of reception - The Spirits Within was panned more than FFXIII iirc.

Loser? He made stupid mistake and left SE. As far as I can see, that is the only mistake he did. (Oh and ASH)

I am just saying, if FF XIII-2 was Lost Odyssey, it would have sold more and had better critical acclaim. ;)

Only to an extent. If the FF name were the be all end all, then why didn't FFXIII-2 sell anywhere near as much as FFXIII?

And don't say because it's a sequel. If Square had made FFVII-2 back in the day, it would have sold just as much as VII.

faridmon

Only to an extent. If the FF name were the be all end all, then why didn't FFXIII-2 sell anywhere near as much as FFXIII?

And don't say because it's a sequel. If Square had made FFVII-2 back in the day, it would have sold just as much as VII.

I think because FF XIII wasn't well recieved and people who bought it were not intrested in the sequel.

Question: Don't you think that if LO was released on PS3 and had a FF name on it (I don't like Final Fantasy: Gaiden or something) it would have sold more?

Also, don't take it very seriously, I am just playing devils advocat. If someone would call him hero, I would have said he was a loser ;)

I'm not sure about that, but it would definitely have the same framerate! :D
Yeah, The framerate was terrible, I agree.

duckroll

Question: Don't you think that if LO was released on PS3 and had a FF name on it (I don't like Final Fantasy: Gaiden or something) it would have sold more?

This is a silly question though, since LO only exists because MS funded it and published it, and it was developed by a studio started up with MS funding. If it were released on the PS3 with a FF name, it would have to be developed by completely different people, and hence be a completely different game than what we got. Could it have sold more or less? Sure, but without knowing what sort of game it would be, we'll never know.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Do people really believe that Lost Odyssey scored and sold less because it didn't have the FF name behind it?

Critics have shown that they aren't really influenced by the FF name anymore, especially considering the battering FFXIII got, and Lost Odyssey wasn't a significantly better game than it when you consider the overall production values. It had a likable cast of characters and a better story but everything else was quite average.

If you look at the Metacritic score for LO, FFXIII and FFXIII-2, they are at 78, 82 and 79 respectively. That's spot on!

biocat

Do people really believe that Lost Odyssey scored and sold less because it didn't have the FF name behind it?

Critics have shown that they aren't really influenced by the FF name anymore, especially considering the battering FFXIII got, and Lost Odyssey wasn't a significantly better game than it when you consider the overall production values. It had a likable cast of characters and a better story but everything else was quite average.

If you look at the Metacritic score for LO, FFXIII and FFXIII-2, they are at 78, 82 and 79 respectively. That's spot on!

Critic scores don't always make or break sales. Especially so when it is a big name like FF.

Just look at most licensed games. Low quality and low scoring games that sell great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom