• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Final Fantasy Versus XIII dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wild guess is they'll get FFXIV 2.0 out the door, support it then once that settles down they'll announce FFXV.

Versus always looked and felt like a mainline game anyway.

it really doesnt feel like a main line game, its always felt like a gaiden

StuBurns

Banned
If it isn't canceled, Nomura shouldn't have a problem saying, "It isn't canceled".
Sure, give him a ring, let us know what he says.

At the most SE PR will issue a statement, otherwise we'll have to wait till Famitsu interviews staff for FFXIII-3.

DieH@rd

Banned
I would be really bummed if its realy canceled. FFv13 had an awesome art style, good setting, and great music.

So far i dont believe what Kotaku is saying, their games coverage was really poor these days.

IHaveIce

Banned
Yeah, I'm referring to his statement. Claiming that you are going to refuse to purchase any product a company puts out in the future because they cancelled a game that we knew very little about BUT HAD THIS ONE MUSIC TRACK RELEASED THAT WAS AWESOME is ridiculous.

I understand it. There are 2 things which could give me some faith in Square Enix back. Kingdom Hearts 3 and Versus.. both of the titles were hinted at in the past but never came out... If one of them is cancelled I'm pretty much pissed.

I surely won't buy a FF13-3 or such shit.

Aeana

Let's see...

Airships
Overworld
Character designs/setting which is more interesting than the actual mainline XIII
HD Towns

That's not a Gaiden.
I'm not sure what any of those things - especially the last two - have to do with whether a game is considered mainline or not.

Takuya

Banned
lol Does S-E honestly think that this would go down quietly? haha
I hope Wada gets fired. (regardless of the outcome)

Kyoufu

I'm not sure what any of those things - especially the last two - have to do with whether a game is considered mainline or not.

Production values. All that money and effort (look how long the game is taking) wouldn't go into a Gaiden, would it?

Aeana

Production values. All that effort (look how long the game is taking) wouldn't go into a Gaiden, would it?
I think the whole mainline vs. gaiden thing is silly regardless, but SE has put plenty of resources into games not being numbered Final Fantasy games.

Hex

Banned
SO glad that this is a Kotaku rumor since I can disregard it with safe certainty.
I am sure that they thank everyone for the hits that they are being given though.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
FFXIII-V...fans...which do you think would be worse: game cancelled, or game is released and is really bad?

I think there's a good argument to be made that the world would have been a better place with no DNF.

Go_Ly_Dow

any big japanese sites picked this up yet?

would like to think this is mounting pressure on s-e to come out with a statement.

Toth

It would be a real shame for the game to be cancelled. But you just can't take this long with a game, show only snippets, and expect anything positive.

Let's see...

Airships
Overworld
Character designs/setting which is more interesting than the actual mainline XIII
HD Towns

That's not a Gaiden.

None of those things matter. At all.

Side games have had airships, overworld maps, interesting character designs and towns.............

The real kicker is that its an action rpg, thats what makes it a side game.

Hell even yesterdays XV rumor had enhanced XII turn based gameplay as the battle system. It has to be turn based to be a main line game

Kyoufu

I think the whole mainline vs. gaiden thing is silly regardless, but SE has put plenty of resources into games not being numbered Final Fantasy games.

I think it's silly too but I just don't see them sticking with the XIII brand which looks like it's going to head into Tales of level of sales.

Type 0 style of renaming if anything.

Gbraga

I'm really, really sad right now.

It was honestly the main reason I picked up a PS3, I was so hyped with all the trailers, and when they released gameplay I liked it even more.

I'm glad we had games like Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2, so I'm not really pissed because I got a PS3, but this really sucks. Oh well, I hope at least the FFXV being made by Ivalice Team rumor is also true.

Hex

Banned
If it isn't canceled, Nomura shouldn't have a problem saying, "It isn't canceled".

Yes because they need to snap and issue a statement every time some website posts a "rumor".

You would then see "rumors" being thrown around even more than you do now just trying to get some kind of response from devs.

SkylineRKR

I reckon they'll rebrand this for very damn sure. XIII has a shitty rep, they're better off with leaving that mythology for the mediocre XIII sequels anyway.

No, 13 certainly wasn't a lucky number for Square.

Persona86

Banned
I honestly don't care if it's true. I'd much rather have Kingdom Hearts III.

Don't really understand how people can get so excited for a game by watching countless CG trailers and a little glimpse of not-so-hot gameplay, either.

The atmosphere alone beats FF13 in every way.

By the way there is also quite a bit of nice of info on Versus that people like me have read that has made us very excited, e.g world map, driving vehicles, airships, realistic modern style city etc etc. Everything I've read points to it being what FF fans want and need for the evolution of FF, it's going to be amazing, mark my words.

So not just trailers, open your eyes. :)

Famassu

FFXIII-V...fans...which do you think would be worse: game cancelled, or game is released and is really bad?

I think there's a good argument to be made that the world would have been a better place with no DNF.
Sorry, but there's no chance this game will be bad. The reason it has taken so long is precisely because they've taken extra care not to rush this game, they spent a long time simply getting to know the PS3 hardware (in the beginning, much time was simply spent seeing how far they could push PS3) and took their time making what they believe are necessary changes to make it the best it can be (i.e. they've changed from a traditional world map into something that's more like FFXII's overworld).

Dereck

Yes because they need to snap and issue a statement every time some website posts a "rumor".

You would then see "rumors" being thrown around even more than you do now just trying to get some kind of response from devs.
If Nomura said the game isn't canceled, that would stop the rumors, not generate more.

Kyoufu

Sorry, but there's no chance this game will be bad. The reason it has taken so long is precisely because they've taken extra care not to rush this game, they spent a long time simply getting to know the PS3 hardware (in the beginning, much time was simply spent seeing how far they could push PS3) and took their time making what they believe are necessary changes to make it the best it can be (i.e. they've changed from a traditional world map into something that's more like FFXII's overworld).

Every project has a chance of being bad. Nothing is guaranteed.

It does look great though.

Patryn

Curious: At this point, do we know how much revenue comes from their Eidos side vs. their Japan side? Has Eidos begun providing more than 50 percent income of the company?

What I'm trying to get at is what is the possibility within the next 10 years or so that we'll see a Western executive come in and try to impose some discipline on the Japan side?

As for this specific rumor, from my reading it basically sounds like it's actually saying that it's being rebranded as FFXV. Even says that the assets are being moved into that game.

And Duke Nukem Forever was the greatest game ever. I mean, just look at all the time they spent polishing that!

Takao

Banned
Curious: At this point, do we know how much revenue comes from their Eidos side vs. their Japan side? Has Eidos begun providing more than 50 percent income of the company?

What I'm trying to get at is what is the possibility within the next 10 years or so that we'll see a Western executive come in and try to impose some discipline on the Japan side?

As for this specific rumor, from my reading it basically sounds like it's actually saying that it's being rebranded as FFXV. Even says that the assets are being moved into that game.

SE in Japan is more than just video games.

Famassu

If Nomura said the game isn't canceled, that would stop the rumors, not generate more.
That won't stop the rumors. Remember the time when MGS4 hadn't been released yet? No matter how many times Konami denied it, these "MGS4 is coming to Xbox 360" type rumors popped up every few days. Nomura has spoken about Versus XIII just a month or two ago. That's confirmation enough that it's still in development, they don't need to issue a statement that says so every few days.

Dereck

That won't stop the rumors. Remember the time when MGS4 hadn't been released yet? No matter how many times Konami denied it, these "MGS4 is coming to Xbox 360" type rumors popped up every few days. Nomura has spoken about Versus XIII just a month or two ago. That's confirmation enough that it's still in development, they don't need to issue a statement that says so every few days.
I must have missed it.

And Duke Nukem Forever was the greatest game ever. I mean, just look at all the time they spent polishing that!

Question 1 - Not even close

The japanese side is the bread and butter.

Phatcorns

My guess is that it's just being renamed to Final Fantasy XV. That doesn't account for why morale was affected at Square Enix though.

My guess is that it's just being renamed to Final Fantasy XV. That doesn't account for why morale was affected at Square Enix though.

then what of the XV rumor being like 12 being directed by a different team?

You see, we have multiple rumors that dont mesh together.

Odds are all of them are false

Probably renamed, right? Like from Agito XIII to Type-0. I assume the September 1st "future of XIII" announcement will be to end the FNC series (XIII) as a whole.

Famassu

Sorry, but if you're too ignorant to understand the differences between DNF and Versus XIII, there's no point in answering you.

So what's the breakdown of Eidos to Japan? 30/70? 20/80?

Id say its probably closer to 65 35. But that has more to do with the fact square publishes alot of japanese and western games that they didnt develop so it makes the numbers really impossible to determine

LMAO... Yeah right after spending all that time and money some people really think SE is just going to let this game die?

Or it's never going to be released? Or it's for next generation?

Yes I know it's taking so very long.... But it's still coming out and on the PS3.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Well this kind of doesnt make sense unless the game is just awful or brutally imcomplete requiring millions more to get it done.

That's setting yourself for disappointment.

Patryn

Sorry, but if you're too ignorant to understand the differences between DNF and Versus XIII, there's no point in answering you.

Your argument seemed to me to be is that because they spent a lot of time working on FFVXIII, it must be good. I posted a counter-example to that thinking.

Did you have another point? If so, please enlighten us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom