• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PlayStation 4 codenamed 'Orbis', 2013, AMD CPU, SI GPU, Anti-Used Games

aegies

If these rumors are true, the gap between next gen's systems will be much less, no? I'm assuming we won't be seeing another gap like we did between the Wii and the PS3/Xbox 360.

These rumors are indicating a sizable gap between the WiiU and Sony and Microsoft's supposed next console targets. The WiiU's CPU is already barely keeping up with the 360's CPU (though on RAM and GPU, it's trouncing current-gen tech).

StevieP

Banned
These rumors are indicating a sizable gap between the WiiU and Sony and Microsoft's supposed next console targets. The WiiU's CPU is already barely keeping up with the 360's CPU (though on RAM and GPU, it's trouncing current-gen tech).

The Wii U's CPU is Tri-Core w/SMT, has 3 times the cache and is out-of-order. There isn't a single chance in hell this statement is remotely accurate.

Is the no BC thing to do with them abandoning the Cell architecture?

Yes.

Durante said:
Bulldozer seems like a terrible architectural choice for a console.

It's not Bulldozer. The hint was already provided.

Ploid 3.0

If all this anti-used games stuff is true I'm going back to PC gaming and I don't even buy used games or trade in my own games. If they're going to remove my right to resell I no longer see the point in paying the price premium for console games. Whoever doesn't do this shit is going to get my money.

I think the premium was always about the convenience of the console. You know it'll work, no need to tweak, upgrade, or lower settings, and you know it is the same for everyone else on that platform. You just buy the game, and load it up. It's from the royalties, but the reason people pay the royalties is because in the end everything is put in a nice little bow for customers to gobble up.

Then there are the exclusives, online network, and now player points tied to platforms. While I wouldn't buy a game for console that is also on PC there are a lot of console games that don't show up on pc. Sometimes those games are interesting to me.

neptunes

I kind of wish Ken Kutaragi had Zero involvement with the PS3, Sony would probably be in a different place and we'd have BC in the PS4.

Durante

The Wii U's CPU is Tri-Core w/SMT, has 3 times the cache and is out-of-order. There isn't a single chance in hell this statement is remotely accurate.
The statement can still be accurate even if everything you just said is 100% spot on. Just reduce the clock far enough. Not likely, but absolutely a chance in hell.

NateDrake

Does that mean the WiiU vs. X3/Orbis will be closer to something, let's say, PS2 vs. Xbox again? Or GCN vs. Xbox?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Define "sizable.". Are we really talking as big a gap as this current gen?

Card Boy

Banned
You do realize 720 is rumored to go anti-used as well right so unless your getting it for the possible(?) 360 library.

Rumors are that MS is going this way, too.

Thing is i have more faith in Sony to pull some BS like this than MS. I guess time will tell.

I have invested hundreds of dollars in my PS2 and PS3 library, never being able to play it on a next gen Sony console. I'm not falling for the trap again.

People who want BC just don't get it. You already own a PS3.

And if my PS3 dies in 10 years? What then?

Durante

Does that mean the WiiU vs. X3/Orbis will be closer to something, let's say, PS2 vs. Xbox again? Or GCN vs. Xbox?
It won't be as close as that (<2x) but if these rumors are true it probably also won't be as large as Wii/PS360 (>8x). Anything more accurate than that requires more information.

I have been saying it forever, that CELL is a joke that Sony sold to PS fanboys about how special that pile of shit is. Cuz of it I have been having framerate issues this entire gen
Cell has fantastic performance/Watt with the right software. Had PS3 dominated like PS2 did you would have almost certainly seen a lot more of that. (And had RSX kept up better with Xenos)

StevieP

Banned
The statement can still be accurate even if everything you just said is 100% spot on. Just reduce the clock far enough.

Even in a console case the size of the Wii U, you won't need to drop clocks 50% or something crazy like that to control heat. The GPU is taking up far more of the TDP.

Regardless, clock speeds matter less than architecture.

Plinko said:
Define "sizable.". Are we really talking as big a gap as this current gen?

That's quite impossible.

PS2 to Xbox would be a best-case scenario between what's specced out here (brain_stew's picture's CPU if you can all figure it out + pitcairn let's-shave-some-CUs/clockspeed-edition) and what we've figured out in the Wii U insanity threads.
The exact nature of the gap isn't well known because things are still in flux, but the gap won't be as large as the gap was this generation. The most important distinction in the gap this time around is that development pipelines will be sharable, unlike this generation. Having less ram is far less of a hurdle than not being able to do programmable shaders. Whether publishers choose to exploit the availability of the extra avenue in their multiplatform plans has yet to be seen, however.

Edit: looks like someone on this page finally figured out Sony's CPU architecture of choice.

They're both going to lose then. If they truly think they can do this without repercussions they're so out of touch they deserve it to happen.

What repercussions? No used game sales?

Of course you could always switch to Apple or Steam who have been doing this for years? You may be the one out of touch.

I have invested hundreds of dollars in my PS2 and PS3 library, never being able to play it on a next gen Sony console. I'm not falling for the trap again.

And if my PS3 dies in 10 years? What then?

You buy a PS3? Not like they are all going to get destroyed when the PS4 comes out.
Personally I'll just sell off my library so the games can fund the next console. BC is nice to have, but it is not something I ever really use anyway so I am a bit either way on it. PSN releases are more of a concern because I can't sell those, it does make me hesitant to invest more into the service until it is cleared up.

amar212

With all 3 PS consoles alive and kicking and vast library of software spanning from 1996 I couldn't care less for the following:

- BC
- any kind of anti-used games policy

I buy only games I want to play and I keep them so my children can witness the world when games were on physical media.

Can't give more damn about all this.

Bring it on Sony, I want my 1080p/120fps Gran Turismo ASAP.

TriGen

There is no way Orbis and Durango launch in the same quarter, right? I think that would be awful for both, it would be like two fighters going head to head knocking each other down completely forgetting there is a third opponent just resting on the sideline watching the show.

I have said before that I believe the next Xbox is going to have surprise launch date, likely in Q1 of 2013 and any talk of not showing off new hardware this year is just to try to take attention from Nintendo at this years E3, think about it, the gaming media would completely favor a surprise Xbox announcement to a Nintendo console that's already been announced, also launching early in the year 2013 gives them a jump on Sony (remember that rumor that the next Xbox would likely not get a big jump on Sony but it might get a few months, this adds up).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Of course you could always switch to Apple or Steam who have been doing this for years? You may be the one out of touch.

If people keep bringing up Apple and Steam and applying it to the console gaming industry I'm going to blow a gasket.

amar212

They won't be able to play them once the verification servers go offline in 10 years anyways.

That is the reason I still have PS/PSone/PS2/PS2 Slim/PS360GB/PS3 Slim in mint conditions.

As long as the electricity and 12V chords (with honorable exception of 60GB PS3) are among us, my future children are safe.

StevieP

Banned
Three single-threaded cores. Three. Single. Threaded.

Source?
Everything else we have suggests SMT (with 2 threads per core)

What we know is that its cache is asymmetrically split (but it still has 3 times the cache of Xenos).
And we know it's out of order. Which would, again, more than likely refute that claim.

Vagabundo

Be careful what you wish for.

I think restricting used games could break the industry or the AAA games cycle anywy.

I'm looking forward to it personally.

As to BC, many people trade in their previous console to afford the new one.

saunderez

I dunno like people not buying their console. It's a pretty big repercussion. And Apple and Steam have considerably lower prices to compensate for the lack of resale so no I'm not out of touch. The console manufacturers continue to rip people off they will react by going elsewhere.

If people keep bringing up Apple and Steam and applying it to the console gaming industry I'm going to blow a gasket.

You can get mad, but it doesn't change the fact this is the direction things are going.

I dunno like people not buying their console. It's a pretty big repercussion. And Apple and Steam have considerably lower prices to compensate for the lack of resale so no I'm not out of touch. The console manufacturers continue to rip people off they will react by going elsewhere.

Again so where will they go? If the console manufacturers are 'ripping people off' are you going to make your own console? If sales drop then prices would be lowered as well. It will obviously change the industry. But people will still want to buy games so who do you think is going to win when most people will just buy cod anyway and the rest have already long accepted no returns/used game sales?

People can complain but if they want to play games, they will have to line up and buy them on the console they are made for. There really isn't a choice here unless a console manufacturer somehow manages to go against the tide, when they have no reason to do so. Hence no real repercussions at all.

Card Boy

Banned
Anyone else think the PS4 will make Sony go 3rd party? After the Vita and PS3 sales things ain't looking bright for Sony. The anti-used games and no PS3 BC could be disastrous and could be PSP:GO levels.

Alrix

What do you do when your PS3 dies and new PS3s aren't readily available? It's not like the PS3 is easily emulated, allowing you to play Uncharted 2 on a PC.

Plus I want to be able to take advantage of any kind of "upgrade your console" deals at a place like Gamestop. When 3DS came out I traded in my DS Lite and got the 3DS for $99. I still want to be able to play my old games, though. This is why backwards compatibility is important, to me at least. Even without a special deal, I'd like to get some kind of credit to make the new console release cheaper on my wallet. Can't do that if I need to keep the old console to play older games. So basically, no BC, no used games, no sale.

KageMaru

I'm having a hard time catching up with the thread while at work, would someone mind summarizing why some all of a sudden assume the next Xbox will be more powerful based on this rumor? I really don't see one having a significant advantage over the other.

IMO we're looking at a ps2 vs. Xbox gap, if not larger. We still need to find out more specifics such as the amount of memory, number of votes, etc.

Thing is i have more faith in Sony to pull some BS like this than MS. I guess time will tell.

Sony was rumored to have it in PS3 and they didn't do it.

As said before in the thread it could be possible if both of them decide to do it with the invovlement of pubs (nintendo is the wild card here) so i don't think either Sony or MS would do it themselves and risk getting blown up.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Anyone else think the PS4 will make Sony go 3rd party? After the Vita and PS3 sales things ain't looking bright for Sony. The anti-used games and no PS3 BC could be disastrous and could be PSP:GO levels.

I don't know if they'll go third party or just shut down their games division, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the PS4 bombed.

Junie12

Hmm, the anti-used game policy sounds pretty bad, since I do sell a lot of games I don't like.
I'll still give the new PS a chance though if it has a really good library. I'll just buy most of the games when they go to greatest hits or when they hit bomba price. Don't want to lose $60 bucks to find out I don't like a game. Of course this also means I won't buy nearly as many games now since I do buy used games.

Oh well at least my backlogs won't be as big as it was this gen!

Globox_82

Banned

most likely. But you are ignoring that MS will pull the same stuff. However I think this will hurt more Sony then MS.

aegies

Source?
Everything else we have suggests SMT (with 2 threads per core)

What we know is that its cache is asymmetrically split (but it still has 3 times the cache of Xenos).
And we know it's out of order. Which would, again, more than likely refute that claim.

The same source that leaked accurate WiiU specs to IGN last year. Who also leaked what I understand to be pretty accurate 720 specs to IGN this year.

Top Bottom