• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PlayStation 4 codenamed 'Orbis', 2013, AMD CPU, SI GPU, Anti-Used Games

StevieP

Banned
You are wrong on cost,

I am not wrong on cost if AMD is offering console makers a deal with an SoC of some kind.

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/01/18/xbox-nextxbox-720-chips-in-production/
It's also the most logical choice for BC with 360, which is PPC as well.

Can you find any more recent rumours? Oban may not be exactly what's listed there.

And /thread. Same shit different console.

Except this time, with the other console makers and publishers in agreement, online passes for all games is going to happen.

No used games probably means no rentals. I really hope this isn't true because I rent 75% of the games I play. I very seldom buy used but hate the idea of not being able to sell or trade the games I've bought. I seldom do this either but I want the option available to me. Sometimes I make mistakes or end up with a game just never want to play again.

Mifune

Mehmber
I really don't care about used games. Sure, I buy them, but more out of convenience than anything else. It's not to save the extra five to ten bucks or whatever.

But BC? Man, I wish these console guys would realize that the ability to play old games on new consoles is CRUCIAL to building a legacy for the medium. But then they don't really care about video games nearly as much as they care about money.

Raistlin

summary
-no BC with Ps3
- http://orbis.scedev.net/ exists
-AMD 2012 GPU with up to 4k resolution for games. AMD Southern Islands GPU http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Islands_(GPU_family)
-AMD x64 CPU
- anti used game system like PC games with always online DRM.
Sounds pretty sick potentially. While it may be technically capable of 4k resolution for games, it's unrealistic to expect it to be used for anything beyond a couple of arcade games later in the systems life.

The real reason for it is simple, the integrated HDMI Tx will be able to support BD 4k. I'm excited to hear about 1080p3D however.

No BC is... upsetting :/
It is, though I suspect PSN arcade games, etc will at least work.

Why give a console a codename when everybody knows its final name
Simpler for internal discussion.

If its going to be called something other than ps4 it will not be "The PlayStation" anymore and lose some of its marketing power.
Playstation Vita

Rumor about PS4 being anti-used games like the Xbox Durango rumor, makes it seem more legit. Figured if one goes that route, they'd all have to. :(
Will Wii U be the only next-gen console to allow used games if it comes true about PS4/Durango? Will that affect Publishers/Developers for the better or worse? And will that decide what games are on Wii U?
If it does has an affect, I think it would obviously be negative. Would be pretty crazy if Nintendo gets shit on by devs for another gen, only this time for a totally different reason.

If these used game rumors restriction rumors are be true; I'll be done with consoles who enforce such garbage.
How is this different from Steam?

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
I feel bad for anyone who believes those pastebin specs =( Reading the specs again, I now feel really really bad, but at the sametime I want you to PM because I have this ocean front high rise condo unit to sell you located in Kentucky for $17,000 for 7,000 sq ft.

They seem plausible to me.

XB720
Octa-core cpu (Power8 with 4 threads per core)
Kepler Level gpu
4 gigs of ram
Launch 2014

PS4
Steam Roller cpu
AMD GPU
2 gigs of ram
Launch 2013

Wii U
Tri-Core CPU?
AMD GPU
1 gig of ram
Launch 2012

While I think both the PS4 and XB720 have similar optical drives, Microsoft may go for a holographic disc format for faster data rates and tougher security.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
I don't get why people expect/want PS3 BC in the PS4. The cell is not a cheaply made CPU. While they could add to it for PS4, it would probably be expensive in design and probably wouldn't be developer friendly. By having someone else do the CPU (like AMD), R&D cost will be lower, more likely to be developer friendly (especially if they go with a more PC like environment), and the cost of the hardware will likely be cheaper. By trying to cram in PS3 hardware along with PS4 hardware would result in a larger console (to fit all the components), probably a higher power consumption, and a much higher pricetag (it would be like selling a PS3 and PS4 together). One of the reasons Sony ripped out PS2 BC was to save money on PS3 hardware costs. People would probably be more likely to buy a PS4 if it was priced at $300 compared to $500 just to include PS3 compatibility.

I actually think they'll be able to get some PSN games running, but probably not all which fully utilize the cell.
It would definitely be more expensive. It would probably need the RSX since many games were designed to strictly run on it. If the PS2 was hard enough to emulate, I expect the PS3 would be even more difficult. I pretty much guarantee having BC would cost at least $150 more.

how many games really utilize the cell? alot of game are also on the 360 so i don't see that many games utilize cell. maybe the Sony only IP.

StevieP

Banned
Nvidia is not a factor in consoles next gen. Neither is power8. Holographic drives are not even a gleam in the eye of these console makers. Any optical drives will be blue laser.

Corto

Exactly my point. If any company decides to be consumer friendly in a market full of anti-consumer sentiment they will gain marketshare. Mutually assured destruction doesn't work when you can't control all the players in the game.

That's what Sony did with the PS3 wasn't it? Linux, game sharing, region free gaming, folding@home. That didn't work so well for them then. If any, Sony will just adopt the same practices of the other competitors from the get go with the next console.

Okay then. Only reason I still have a console is Rock Band and some exclusive games on the Xbox, if they pull this shit on the "720" I'll do a full switch to PC, I'm playing on that most of the time.

I don't care if they release ZOMFG AWSUM exclusives, the whole anti-used games is a disgrace. I almost buy all my games new, but I won't support this.

And just how will switching to PC solve your anti-used games issue?

That's what Sony did with the PS3 wasn't it? Linux, game sharing, region free gaming, folding@home. That didn't work so well for them then. If any, Sony will just adopt the same practices of the other competitors from the get go with the next console.

Same as everybody boycotted the 360 because nobody in their right mind would pay for online play when the PS3 had it for free.

Azure J

The most interesting part about all these rumors is the hint that Southern Islands are going to get a lot of play going forward. That's going to lead to some seriously impressive games. Unfortunately, if this anti-used games thing comes to pass, a lot of folks are going to be burned in the worst way. Anti-consumerism is a bitch.

The Wii U's CPU is Tri-Core w/SMT, has 3 times the cache and is out-of-order. There isn't a single chance in hell this statement is remotely accurate.

Three single-threaded cores. Three. Single. Threaded.

The same source that leaked accurate WiiU specs to IGN last year. Who also leaked what I understand to be pretty accurate 720 specs to IGN this year.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/01/24/xbox-720-will-be-six-times-as-powerful-as-current-gen

Though the "20 percent thing" was a direct quote that didn't make any sense.

Expect more rumors about all of this stuff very soon.

May I inquire more about this particular detail in the right venue for it?

Corto

Please give me a boomerang controller, please Sony.

I expect something along these lines:

346kcv8.jpg

KageMaru

both of the codenames turned out to be correct though...

That is puzzling, but there are too many red flags that indicate a lot of it could be bogus.

I don't see an Intel chip (especially 8 core) in any console next Gen.

They seem plausible to me.

XB720
Octa-core cpu (Power8 with 4 threads per core)
Kepler Level gpu
4 gigs of ram
Launch 2014

PS4
Steam Roller cpu
AMD GPU
2 gigs of ram
Launch 2013

Wii U
Tri-Core CPU?
AMD GPU
1 gig of ram
Launch 2012

While I think both the PS4 and XB720 have similar optical drives, Microsoft may go for a holographic disc format for faster data rates and tougher security.

2014 launch for MS, power 8 CPU, and holographic disc format sound highly highly unlikely.

gryz

Banned
There is no reason to use x86 architecture on a console, none at all.

Except the whole problem with ps3 (and ps2 to a lesser extent) was the complicated high tech architecture that no one knew how to program for.

X86 would make development extremely easy and allow easy porting between PC and PSwhatever

Except the whole problem with ps3 (and ps2 to a lesser extent) was the complicated high tech architecture that no one knew how to program for.

X86 would make development extremely easy and allow easy porting between PC and PSwhatever

Yeah, Wii U and 720 are going to be nightmares to program for. Good move by Sony.

No BC doesn't bother me as I don't own a PS3, but all this talk of anti-used games systems in next gen consoles has me concerned - not because I buy used games, but because I like to be able to lend games to friends and sell them on occasionally.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Nvidia is not a factor in consoles next gen. Neither is power8. Holographic drives are not even a gleam in the eye of these console makers. Any optical drives will be blue laser.

The drive using a blue laser is fine. The technology breakthough is the disc structure. Holographic data encryption would be appealing to game publishers if possible.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
BoilersFan23 said:
I don't get why people expect/want PS3 BC in the PS4. The cell is not a cheaply made CPU. While they could add to it for PS4, it would probably be expensive in design and probably wouldn't be developer friendly. By having someone else do the CPU (like AMD), R&D cost will be lower, more likely to be developer friendly (especially if they go with a more PC like environment), and the cost of the hardware will likely be cheaper. By trying to cram in PS3 hardware along with PS4 hardware would result in a larger console (to fit all the components), probably a higher power consumption, and a much higher pricetag (it would be like selling a PS3 and PS4 together). One of the reasons Sony ripped out PS2 BC was to save money on PS3 hardware costs. People would probably be more likely to buy a PS4 if it was priced at $300 compared to $500 just to include PS3 compatibility.

The logic is that it's easier selling people on a new product when they have already invested in it; with the biggest investment being in PSN software. That PSN account is vital because its a hotline to your wallet.

There's also concerns about the chilling effect on PS3 as a platform by announcing that all your purchases are obsoleted when you upgrade to their new baby.

Simply put, in these days where online services more than ever are a critical component of a platform's value-proposition, its an extremely valuable thing as a promotional piece.

Now, from a practical standpoint emulating everything but PS3 should be straightforward enough on a system spec'd as rumoured. Including Vita if Sony opt for a touch-screen controller, which is quite possible.

However, again there are marketing complications. Orbis as described should be perfectly capable of running PS2 titles as well as a high-end PC emulation, but how do you market that when you've already played the HD-Remaster card?

Its a bit of a weird situation if you consider pricing too. This machine needs to exist concurrently with PS3 for at least the first couple of years of its life, it simply takes a good chunk of time to build up an install base that can justify the sort of budgets its going to take to really show what the hardware is capable of.

Given the only real argument in favour of x86 is cost, presumable Sony will want to launch it at a reasonably accessible price, which basically means PS3 needs to be pushed down significantly lower than it is currently. Which brings up an interesting conundrum in that how do you justify a relatively expensive box with relatively little software, when a budget-priced PS3 is very conprehensively featured and has a massive back-catalog of titles that are already HD friendly...

But anyway, I'd definitely take stuff like the anti-used game thing with a very large pinch of salt, because that sort of system-level stuff is going to be decided long after the actual hardware is finalized.

KageMaru

This isn't really the case and wasn't the case for the ps2. Developers know how to use the cell really well, especially at this point in the generation.

TunaLover

I tend to buy used games when I can't find those anymore in retail, sometimes I miss a game on release and buying it used is the only way of getting it.

Anti-used games policy is really bad for us. I mean they treat us like we are trying to cheat, steal or something.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sony: We are taking a stand and allowing use game sales!
Publishers: Well microsoft isn't, so we will just release our games on that platform
Sony: But can we still have call of duty?
Publishers: No.
Sony: Well...we are still going to take a stand

They don't want hearts and minds, they want gamers wallets.

As for not comparing steam and apple to the console industry, your points are valid but you are assuming the console industry will not change. However in the face of competition It will have to, and it will not be away from successful and proven business models.

So you're telling me that Activision would willingly NOT put a CoD game on a major gaming console to take a stand against used games?

Not enough LOLs in the world.

Sounds pretty sick potentially. While it may be technically capable of 4k resolution for games, it's unrealistic to expect it to be used for anything beyond a couple of arcade games later in the systems life.

The real reason for it is simple, the integrated HDMI Tx will be able to support BD 4k. I'm excited to hear about 1080p3D however.

It is, though I suspect PSN arcade games, etc will at least work.

Simpler for internal discussion.

Playstation Vita

If it does has an affect, I think it would obviously be negative. Would be pretty crazy if Nintendo gets shit on by devs for another gen, only this time for a totally different reason.

Isn't Steam optional?

That is puzzling, but there are too many red flags that indicate a lot of it could be bogus.

I don't see an Intel chip (especially 8 core) in any console next Gen.

2014 launch for MS, power 8 CPU, and holographic disc format sound highly highly unlikely.

Yeah, I expect MS to launch before the sony system again. Anyway, weren't rumours suggesting that MS was going with AMD before there was even any mention of whether sony would or not?

If anything, I rather suspect the 720 will be the less powerful of the two given MS's current ethos

consoul

It was clear from the outset where Sony was going with the 'Online Pass'.

We bought the Horse Armor, we accepted the Online Pass.
Now look where we've ended up.

Future generations will not thank us for what we've allowed to happen here.
SHAME ON US ALL you guys.

AlexBasch

And just how will switching to PC solve your anti-used games issue?
Because with the insane prices I have gotten for some games in Amazon or Steam I don't mind keeping them forever in my library. It was almost the same or even the less price I paid for renting games.

Knowing Microsoft or Sony, if they go DD only they'll have Killzone 5 for $59.99 with some rare price drops along the years.

That's the way I see it of course. I didn't mind getting DNF for $3 and much less spending $12 on Dragon Age Origins to have them forever locked into my account. I know they will never do that console side.

Then again, Green Man Gaming is starting to test a game trading system, I trust more in PC side when it comes to DD only.

So you're telling me that Activision would willingly NOT put a CoD game on a major gaming console to take a stand against used games?

Not enough LOLs in the world.

You are assuming it is a major gaming console. This doesn't happen just because Sony release it *cough* vita. How do you think it gets to be a major game console? Are you seriously suggesting Activision or EA wouldn't do something like this to make more money? You are applying the current state of play to the next generation. We have seen over and over that things can change pretty quickly in the gaming world. On top of the world one day, gone the next.

Knowing Microsoft or Sony, if they go DD only they'll have Killzone 5 for $59.99 with some rare price drops along the years.

So you can see your issue is with trust and pricing, rather then anti-used as such. This is understandable as I have the same concerns.

well, that's hard to answer, but i presume we'll be looking at much higher prices for things than steam offers on PC. i mean, part of why i'm okay with no resale value for a PC game is two fold... it was cheaper, and i'm pretty much guaranteed to still be able to run the game in ten years, with likely improvements.

i mean, some games i bought on steam 6 years ago on PC, i can now run with crazy AA solutions in 3D, or at much higher resolutions than i could run back then. buying a PC game that ties itself to an account is cheaper, and seems to be much more future proof (though obviously nothing is infinitely future proof).

so those are some differences.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You are assuming it is a major gaming console. This doesn't happen just because Sony release it *cough* vita. How do you think it gets to be a major game console? Are you seriously suggesting Activision or EA wouldn't do something like this to make more money? You are applying the current state of play to the next generation. We have seen over and over that things can change pretty quickly in the gaming world. On top of the world one day, gone the next.

You are suggesting that they would willingly not put a game on one of big three consoles 'to make money.' Think about that for a while.

They could be eliminating 50% of their audience.

coldfoot

Banned

360 wasn't x86 and it wasn't hard to develop for. Cell architecture required a lot of low level coding to perform due to its design and memory architecture, and not because of its instruction set.
Most of game code is written in high level languages anyway.

BobLoblaw

Banned
While the whole used game exclusion doesn't mean crap to me since I'm primarily a pc gamer, I do hope that if Sony/Microsoft do go this route that 1) they lower the upfront cost to maybe $49.99 (DD) or $54.99 (physical) and then have mandatory price reductions three or so months after the new title releases.

protonion

Rarely a gamer buys only used. If they do this and lose a consumer, they will lose the money from the -say- 2 games he buys in a gen. Will they force another to buy at least 2 new games to cover this loss?

Here's another thought. Make your games feel valuable. If you release mediocre half products filled with dlc slots and one page manuals... yeah people might not want to treasure it.

AlexBasch

So you can see your issue is with trust and pricing, rather then anti-used as such. This is understandable as I have the same concerns.
Well yes, other than that, I see it as a set of advantages and disadvantages. Consoles are locked systems that don't allow any kind of tinkering or modding (though is happening on recent PC games that get released without modding tools) but the good thing is that at least you could find some cheap used games along the road and you could borrow the games to friends to help them test 'em out and maybe buying a copy for themselves or sell them to other people and get money to buy new games, that's how I managed to play so much games this gen but kept only a little amount of worthy games.

If this advantage is lost in the next console gen, I'd rather pick the side that has better performance, allows for more modding and customization it's cheaper and better yet, it "allows" BC because I don't have to switch to another console to play, it just works.

Dueck

Banned
The whole "anti-used games" aspect will only be successful if both MS and Sony implement it. Nintendo doesn't appear to be making a true competitor to their stuff, but we shall see. Otherwise, it's basically a PR death warrant for the one who uses it alone. If the PS4/whatever does arrive during the 2013 holiday season, and the new Xbox is still a year or so away, I think it won't backfire quite as badly, as the kinds of people who drop $500+ on a console aren't cheap or poor to begin with (and are therefore pretty likely to not mind buying new games at full price anyways).

The rumor started with MS, and now it's on Sony's console too. I think it's looking fairly credible. They see what a giant revenue stream the online pass system is, for basically no effort on their part. With this, it goes to the next level. People can't even play the used games at all without buying some sort of activation key. This is a perfect example of companies going too far though. I don't think the consoles will fail, but it will definitely end up costing them more than it's worth, especially if the Wii U ends up being more powerful than we expect.

I wouldn't miss the lack of a used game market. It would just make me more careful with my purchases. Rather than buy just about anything I feel like, then trade two or three games back for a new one, I would need to make absolutely sure it was something I wanted to have. I think that will hinder sales as well, as the whole "trade" thing is going to be significantly less profitable/utilized, so people won't risk their money as willingly. I'm sure some analysts have figured out a way for this process to give them a net profit in the next 10 years (once gamers are begrudgingly forced to accept it), but I think all it will take is one company to choose not to participate and ruin it. I'd be amazed if Nintendo ever did something like that, and if they were the only ones who didn't, it would give them the edge they need to cream the others.

Top Bottom