• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Silent Hills officially cancelled

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
With Silent Hills being cancelled, FOX engine (other than MGSV obv) is pretty much PES engine.

What a shame... so much potential is wasted.

They've been working on porting it to mobile for a while:
Gamasutra said:
Senior Mobile Programmer

Konami Digital Entertainment is currently looking for experienced Senior Mobile Programmers for High End 3D games! [Emphasis Theirs]

Inviting Worldwide Technology Director Julien Merceron and pursuing innovative game development process on its globally recognised game titles including the Metal Gear Solid series and the Pro-Evolution Soccer franchise, KONAMI Japan is currently seeking experienced and creative Senior Mobile Programmers. This position is expected to develop smartphone and tablet support for our newest game engine, and the ideal candidate will have great experiences on both console and mobile devices, substantial knowledge of graphic engine programming and strong passion for challenge.

Being well-known for its cutting edge FOX ENGINE
, KONAMI is driven forward to deliver an exciting game experience to users and we look forward to meeting lots of enthusiastic and motivated candidates.

Job Qualifications:

- Over 6 years of professional experience in creating 3D graphic libraries for PC/PS3/Xbox360.
- Proficient knowledge of 3D algebra, graphics programming and smartphone devices.
- Has the passion to provide great 3D graphics quality on smartphones and tablets.
- Outstanding C/C++ programming skills.
- Knowledge of Dx9, OpenGL 4.3 and OpenGL ES 3.0.
- Is proficient with "Test Driven Development".
- Has participated in shipping Hit Games.
- Possesses verbal and written communication skills in English or Japanese.

Preference:

- Professional experience in creating 3D game engines for mobile.
Source: http://jobs.gamasutra.com/job/senior-mobile-programmer-tokyo-25918

Rest in peace...

silent_790screen001.jpg

If the reason they did this was to spite Kojima then Konami can eat shit. Even if Kojima wasn't going to be part of the project they still could have went on with the idea with Del Toro. All the money and creativity wasted just like that. Pathetic.

Instro

Gaming has been the dominant part of Konami's most of their life right? It seems strange to see them abandon it in favour of the latest trend.

That hasn't been the dominant part of their business for some time now, and they will continue to transition out. The only exceptions I see are MGS and PES since they are guaranteed sellers.

Konami just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about horror culture (I'm an expert), but fear and scare are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Resident Evil where you can become successful by being an generic shooter. If you screw someone over in horror, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the horror public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase a survival game for either system, nor will they purchase any of Konami's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Konami has alienated an entire market with this move.

Konami, publicly apologize and uncancel Silent Hills for PS4/One or you can kiss your business goodbye.

night13x

The way things are going, I would not be surprised if Konami is "cashing out" on the video game business all together. The reason I am thinking this is as follows:

1) When they removed Kojima and his team from all of the games "A Hideo Kojima game", they claimed first that this was a way to reorganize the core of Konami so that everyone is under the same roof so to speak.

2) Around this time, we get confirmation that Kojima-san has "left the building" and pretty much working via contract only until the game is released. Also promotion (other than the bad publicity of what is going on) has completely dropped for the game.

3) When Konami was put under the microscope about the future of the game or even the series, they suddenly drafted a half-assed statement about hiring internally for a new mgs team (lol whose left to move to that team????). I Don't think they are actually doing this - this is just to try to ensure people that support for mgs hasn't dropped (they will drop it imo after they got their sales for mgs5).

4) The whole IGA / Castlevania situation. Also read that other high level leaders of several Konami games have also left the building over the past year.

5) So after they ensure everything is ok and they are just unifying everyone under the same core house....they go cancel the other major project they had, ironically with Kojima's name on it, called Silent Hills. Again they release (imo) a BS statement about how the series will continue just not like that. The series is good as dead now.

HOPEFULLY I am wrong about some of these things, but the way it is looking now, it is indeed dark times for many famous Konami game series. The best hope is that they might be willing to sell off the IP to other studios / publishers so that those IP can continue to exist.

OG Loc

Who would be surprised if it actually looked more like: Now we're not spending tens of millions of dollars on AAA games and can keep focusing on products with higher returns. Kojima was expensive. MGSV was expensive. Silent Hills was going to be expensive. Can you imagine how well Konami took Kojima telling them, "I want to work with [high profile director] and [actor gaining lots of traction] on a niche title."

Exactly.

Reule

Such a promising project involving two of the best game and movie creators out there, and it ends like this. Really a shame. :(
Honestly, what an extremely squandered opportunity here. Not even that, you get Norman Reedus who is obviously very popular right now due to The Walking Dead. I'd like to think the game would've done very well if marketed right. Especially since there is a demand to watch or stream popular horror games currently.

Wish they'd sell the MGS and Silent Hill properties to someone who actually gives a shit. That or someone willing to spend top dollar for Kojima projects.

Ushiwaka

Just what the fuck happened between Konami and Kojima to make them go into "cancel everything Kojima has ever touched" mode. Fuck.

What's even more maddening about this is that P.T. is going to be delisted on April 29. It's not enough that Konami is cancelling a future project, now they're completely removing a game/demo that people raved about. What's worse is that since it never got a physical release, P.T. will become impossible for new players to find and play.

It's completely insane. Imagine if there was an acclaimed movie that was released in theaters, and then never released again. The only way new players will be able to play it from now is if they know someone who downloaded it beforehand. YouTube may fill the gap with all of the Let's Plays of it, but that's a secondhand experience.

It's a mindboggingly shitty thing to do.

LordofPwn

prepare the MGSV box art sans Konami. i think a lot of us will need it...

Really enjoyed experiencing PT. its a damn shame...

LuuKyK

Pack your stuffs and get the fuck out off gaming business already, Konami.

No, they still need to release the new Suikoden game that Verendus said is in the works. No going out of business until they deliver that please. >_>

Honestly, what an extremely squandered opportunity here. Not even that, you get Norman Reedus who is obviously very popular right now due to The Walking Dead. I'd like to think the game would've done very well if marketed right. Especially since there is a demand to watch or stream popular horror games currently.

Wish they'd sell the MGS and Silent Hill properties to someone who actually gives a shit. That or someone willing to spend top dollar for Kojima projects.

It would be a hit surely. Just look at what P.T did to streams and lets play's on youtube.

The Reedus addition was only going to help.

Konami just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about horror culture (I'm an expert), but fear and scare are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Resident Evil where you can become successful by being an generic shooter. If you screw someone over in horror, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the horror public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase a survival game for either system, nor will they purchase any of Konami's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Konami has alienated an entire market with this move.

Konami, publicly apologize and uncancel Silent Hills for PS4/One or you can kiss your business goodbye.
The only time a parody like this is legit. konami's done with horror.

playXray

I did play PT but didn't they say it was just a "teaser" as in not how the final game would be?

Yes, as far as I recall, they said that it's likely that nothing from PT would be in the final game, and that it was just a playable equivalent of a teaser trailer (which are often made using footage completely separate from the final cut).

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
They're not dead, they're making amazing Pachinko and mobile games!

Why are making pachinko and arcade and mobile games somehow invalid? Because you dislike them or can't play them?

What is this epic meme of games not mattering if they're not on console.

Who would be surprised if it actually looked more like: Now we're not spending tens of millions of dollars on AAA games and can keep focusing on products with higher returns. Kojima was expensive. MGSV was expensive. Silent Hills was going to be expensive. Can you imagine how well Konami took Kojima telling them, "I want to work with [high profile director] and [actor gaining lots of traction] on a niche title."

Maybe they shouldn't have let it get to the point where they made a teaser and formally announced the game then in the first place. This is all on them and I don't give a fuck what the reasoning is no matter how reasonable. You don't announce a project and get so many people excited and then cancel it. If they were hesitant about the budget maybe they should have thought it all through first before allowing it, but they did, so they owe us a game we're not going to get.

Again, it's all on them.

koji kabuto

What the hell is Konami doing?
Are they giving up on the gaming business? Should just sell metal gear and silent hill franchises to Sony by now..

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The way things are going, I would not be surprised if Konami is "cashing out" on the video game business all together. The reason I am thinking this is as follows:

1) When they removed Kojima and his team from all of the games "A Hideo Kojima game", they claimed first that this was a way to reorganize the core of Konami so that everyone is under the same roof so to speak.

2) Around this time, we get confirmation that Kojima-san has "left the building" and pretty much working via contract only until the game is released. Also promotion (other than the bad publicity of what is going on) has completely dropped for the game.

3) When Konami was put under the microscope about the future of the game or even the series, they suddenly drafted a half-assed statement about hiring internally for a new mgs team (lol whose left to move to that team????). I Don't think they are actually doing this - this is just to try to ensure people that support for mgs hasn't dropped (they will drop it imo after they got their sales for mgs5).

4) The whole IGA / Castlevania situation. Also read that other high level leaders of several Konami games have also left the building over the past year.

5) So after they ensure everything is ok and they are just unifying everyone under the same core house....they go cancel the other major project they had, ironically with Kojima's name on it, called Silent Hills. Again they release (imo) a BS statement about how the series will continue just not like that. The series is good as dead now.

HOPEFULLY I am wrong about some of these things, but the way it is looking now, it is indeed dark times for many famous Konami game series. The best hope is that they might be willing to sell off the IP to other studios / publishers so that those IP can continue to exist.
What the hell is Konami doing?
Are they giving up on the gaming business? Should just sell metal gear and silent hill franchises to Sony by now..
They're focused on a different video game business these days:

konami1txuw1.png

konami2omuqs.png

Top Bottom