• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

So they are developing a new system for the handful of 4K owners out there ?

I can´t really believe that.

Yeah, this isn't a product specifically targeting 4k TV Owners. If you look at PS4k as nothing more than the PS4 Slim with some enhancements, you can see the system isn't being made for 4k users only.

They will slim down the system, upgrade a few parts to keep costs down (and maybe increase performance for games in the future) and enable future cost cutting measures down the line. And the system will have the ability to stream 4k content and play 4k BluRays. If you do not have a 4K TV, it will still do 1080p, play all the PS4 games (and hopefully with better performance), and BluRays.

The PS4k will quickly replace the PS4 on the shelves. Once Sony releases the PS4k, I dont see the standard PS4 being produced any more once stock has been depleted. Sony is not going to have the PS4K competing with the PS4 with 2 Skus on the shelves that could confuse some customers.

This is nothing more than the PS4 Slim, with 4k abilities, and maybe a bit more horsepower under the hood.

Jonboy

I'm shocked so many actually believed Sony would be dumb enough to make a "new 3ds" style system with exclusive games. I know they've done some questionable things in their history, but they aren't dumb enough to destroy all the goodwill (and user base) they've built with PS4.

I don't really care about any of the 4k stuff, but if the slim model offers improved performance in games (frame rate, graphical effects, etc.) then I'm there day 1.

RaijinFY

It doesn't confirm anything. They know nothing of the specs. They are only speculating whats possible based on current parts. They are really only saying that its not possible to do PS4 quality graphics in 4K in a console sized box.

I agree, i don't see anything confirmed at all.

vpance

The PS4k will quickly replace the PS4 on the shelves. Once Sony releases the PS4k, I dont see the standard PS4 being produced any more once stock has been depleted. Sony is not going to have the PS4K competing with the PS4 with 2 Skus on the shelves that could confuse some customers.

I wonder if they'll do a die shrink PS4 slim as well and cut to $199. I mean, that's the strategy every gen right?

If it is as you say they must figure they can milk the high end crowd a little longer with PS4K and do the cost reduced $199 version in 2018 or something.

I wonder if they'll do a die shrink PS4 slim as well and cut to $199. I mean, that's the strategy every gen right?

If it is as you say they must figure they can milk the high end crowd a little longer with PS4K and do the cost reduced $199 version in 2018 or something.

I just do not think that Sony will have two PS4s on the shelf very long. If they were able to offer a standard, non 4k Version for $199, that would be great. However, it just opens up a lot of questions for customers like "Will both of these play the same games? What is difference? Will they both work with VR?" Stuff like that, I just feel that 2 consoles on the same shelf could be confusing for consumers.

Papacheeks

Banned
I just do not think that Sony will have two PS4s on the shelf very long. If they were able to offer a standard, non 4k Version for $199, that would be great. However, it just opens up a lot of questions for customers like "Will both of these play the same games? What is difference? Will they both work with VR?" Stuff like that, I just feel that 2 consoles on the same shelf could be confusing for consumers.

That hopefully is what they will talk about in detail at E3. If they can tell people that PS4K is for people with 4k displays, and saying its a new model specifically for that, I think it will be fine.

Now that we understand it's mainly for 4k resolution and content wise games will remain the same.

vpance

Thinking about it more now I agree. Sony is pushing 4K and all the new color and HDR standards so it makes no sense to continue making the outdated OG model for the rest of the gen, slim or otherwise. This would save them from having to make 2 very different models simultaneously, along with avoiding the issues at retail you mentioned.

PS4K comes in at $399, OG gets a cut to $299 to clear out inventory and then in 2017 PS4K is cut to $349. And then in 2018-19 the slim to PS4K appears.

Hawk269

Yeah, this isn't a product specifically targeting 4k TV Owners. If you look at PS4k as nothing more than the PS4 Slim with some enhancements, you can see the system isn't being made for 4k users only.

They will slim down the system, upgrade a few parts to keep costs down (and maybe increase performance for games in the future) and enable future cost cutting measures down the line. And the system will have the ability to stream 4k content and play 4k BluRays. If you do not have a 4K TV, it will still do 1080p, play all the PS4 games (and hopefully with better performance), and BluRays.

This is nothing more than the PS4 Slim, with 4k abilities, and maybe a bit more horsepower under the hood.
Lol. So you think Sony is just going to eat the cost of the 4k blu.ray player they put into it? By your suggestion ps4k will take over at one point, but at what additional price. Sony won't give away the additions at no incremental cost to the consumer.

lingpanda

What I haven't heard anyone speculate on, is if this is indirectly related to the Nintendo NX. Could Nintendo's new hardware actually be on par with Sony's? Do they know something we don't?

mike4001_

and maybe a bit more horsepower under the hood.

But isn´t this the problem ?

When they use it game cannot run on the old PS4

Or they don´t use it and the added horsepowers are for nothing.

And they cannot just do a 30 vs. 60 fps game because this needs a "lot" more power.

And most PS4 games are already 1080p

Hawk269

Thinking about it more now I agree. Sony is pushing 4K and all the new color and HDR standards so it makes no sense to continue making the outdated OG model for the rest of the gen, slim or otherwise. This would save them from having to make 2 very different models simultaneously, along with avoiding the issues at retail you mentioned.

PS4K comes in at $399, OG gets a cut to $299 to clear out inventory and then in 2017 PS4K is cut to $349. And then in 2018-19 the slim to PS4K appears.
Think higher though. Right now as in today the cheapest 4k blu ray player alone is 399.99. Both thebos4 and ps4k can live together. It is not a hard sell to consumers to say they both play the same games, but the 4k one does it better plus you can play 4k movies. In this day and age that us not confusing. 10 years ago it would of been but not now.

except it wasn't for Sony:

PS1 – 1994
|
6 years
|
PS2 – 2000
|
6 years
|
PS3 – 2006
|
7 years
|
PS4 – 2013

just one year difference
6 year generations are too long though... Phones, tablets, PCs, basically everything other than consoles get updates on a yearly basis. I can't imagine using the same phone for 7ish years.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
6 year generations are too long though... Phones, tablets, PCs, basically everything other than consoles get updates on a yearly basis. I can't imagine using the same phone for 7ish years.

Not really if a game took 2 years to make that's 3 games in a gen from each dev.

Some devs can take 3 or more years so 6 years is a good number.

woen

A phone is not a home console. That comparison has always been off-topic and continues to be. If you don't understand why you have 6-7 generations and why it benefits to "the industry" (and the gamers) then I don't know what you're posting in these kind of threads.

I credit consumers in general with a lot more savvy than you're suggesting there. Certainly enough to differentiate between PS4 Standard @ £199 and PS4 Enhanced @ £399 and be able to choose which is worth their investment.

But isn´t this the problem ?

When they use it game cannot run on the old PS4

Or they don´t use it and the added horsepowers are for nothing.

And they cannot just do a 30 vs. 60 fps game because this needs a "lot" more power.

And most PS4 games are already 1080p

Think of a phone, for example. A more high powered Android device could run the same game better than an older Android device. It is still the same app, but runs better on the more powerful device. PS4 game development has moved to an easier development environment that could transition to new hardware.

If the SDK could be updated, to allow the PS4 games to scale performance for a PS4 and a PS4K, I dont think it is out of the realm of possibilities to have the PS4K run games with a slightly better framerate, at the least, than a standard PS4.

Lol. So you think Sony is just going to eat the cost of the 4k blu.ray player they put into it? By your suggestion ps4k will take over at one point, but at what additional price. Sony won't give away the additions at no incremental cost to the consumer.

Are you expecting the PS4K to come out next month? I dont! But you would have to be crazy to think that Sony is going to introduce a PS4K at a crazy price just to get 4K Media abilities out to consumers. I just think for your standard consumer, PS4 and PS4K on the shelves together for a long time could be confusing. Sony, as a hardware company, I am sure is working on their own 4K BluRay Drives. When they get the price down a bit, then they will launch the PS4k.

Lets think what is on the horizon for Sony this year. They have PSVR Launching in the Fall. I dont think they want to try to advertise, educate, and market PSVR, while also trying to advertise, market and educate the public about PS4K as well. I bet PS4K will launch next year, after PSVR has had a few months on the market, and also when 4K BluRay Drives are more affordable and the PS4k can launch in that $350-$400 price range. The PS4 Standard could drop to $300, until supply runs out, then it will be replaced.

Again, these are just my opinions of how I see things playing out. Sony isn't going to eat the price of a 4K BluRay drives just to be nice. They will launch PS4K when the drives are affordable enough to have the console at a price they see fit.

A phone is not a home console. That comparison has always been off-topic and continues to be. If you don't understand why you have 6-7 generations and why it benefits to "the industry" (and the gamers) then I don't know what you're posting in these kind of threads.

Surely one of the benefits of moving to x86 and AMD APUs is a consistent architecture and set of common APIs that can be shared with future machines be they PS4.5, PS5, or even PS6. And given that releasing more frequent hardware revisions shouldn't have any major impact on game development cycles.

The key isn't how many revisions are released in a given time frame, but how long each revision is supported before it is retired.

I credit consumers in general with a lot more savvy than you're suggesting there. Certainly enough to differentiate between PS4 Standard @ £199 and PS4 Enhanced @ £399 and be able to choose which is worth their investment.

Ok, that is fine, so basically you are saying your opinion is better than mine? That is the cool thing about opinions. And we are all just guessing here anyways! ;)

vpance

Think higher though. Right now as in today the cheapest 4k blu ray player alone is 399.99. Both thebos4 and ps4k can live together. It is not a hard sell to consumers to say they both play the same games, but the 4k one does it better plus you can play 4k movies. In this day and age that us not confusing. 10 years ago it would of been but not now.

Confusion possibility aside, they might not even be able to manufacture OG at anything less than 28nm, or if it's even worth it to redesign the old chipset for 14nm with Polaris waiting in the wings. With no ability to reduce OG to prices below $300 without taking a big hit means the possibility of the price differential between 4K and OG actually being pretty small, like $100. In that case it's better to just phase out the old model gradually I think.

I'm seeing a lot of people quoting $399 as the price point. If this report is accurate in terms of what it's being added, I wouldn't hold your breath.

I'm shocked so many actually believed Sony would be dumb enough to make a "new 3ds" style system with exclusive games. I know they've done some questionable things in their history, but they aren't dumb enough to destroy all the goodwill (and user base) they've built

Additionally people seem to forget that around 160m consoles were sold last gen between MS and Sony. So far they've sold around 45m this gen between them. Not taking into account multiple purchases, that still leaves a shell of a lot of casual gamers waiting for price reduced models.

Like it or not Sony still need the original PS4 spec going forward. Relying on a single £349+ PS4.5 SKU and worse still aiming exclusive titles at it will cause more harm than a bit of bad blood with early adopters.

Two and half years in and devs are still producing cross gen titles targeting two totally alien platforms in PS3 and PS4. Surely it's better if all 80m+/- customers on the one platform across two closely related models that are far easier for devs to target and much closer together in hardware capabilities?

except it wasn't for Sony:

PS1 – 1994
|
6 years
|
PS2 – 2000
|
6 years
|
PS3 – 2006
|
7 years
|
PS4 – 2013

just one year difference

People have the impression last gen was long because of xbox. MS killed Xbox early, and 360 was a full year earlier than PS3. So it was 8 years.

Ok, that is fine, so basically you are saying your opinion is better than mine? That is the cool thing about opinions. And we are all just guessing here anyways! ;)

Not at all, I'm saying I think consumers are clever than you give them credit for. I might be wrong in that, you might be right, I'm just saying I think consumers could cope with that kind of choice. Nothing more, nothing less.

slapnuts

I don't want to upgrade my current PS4.

But I know I'd feel like shit playing on the old model while I know there is a better version out there and would feel the need to upgrade.

Sucks to know I'll have this feeling every 2 plus years.
If Sony do this they have to do something amazing beyond 1080p/60fps but I figure this is mainly a VR initiative.

Sony is not going to be dumb enough and snap that finger on the 30+ million PS4's currently out there and abandon all of us that already have PS4's. This ONLY logical thing sony can possibly do is release this so called 4k model for simply that...for native 4k resolutions or higher than 1080p resolutions, what ever. I highly doubt Sony is gonna cut their biggest base of current PS4 owners off like that...that would be WORSE than every mistake MS has made with Xbox One thus far...no way in HELL will sony do this. Everyone that is fine with 1080p gaming on their current PS4 will be fine...no worries. Think about it...sony is not gonna cut their biggest portion of PS4 gamers (current owners) off like that.

krang

I only bought the PS3 so that I would have the most future-proof bluray player available. I'd certainly consider getting a PS4K for the same reason.

Sony is not going to be dumb enough and snap that finger on the 30+ million PS4's currently out there and abandon all of us that already have PS4's. This ONLY logical thing sony can possibly do is release this so called 4k model for simply that...for native 4k resolutions or higher than 1080p resolutions, what ever. I highly doubt Sony is gonna cut their biggest base of current PS4 owners off like that...that would be WORSE than every mistake MS has made with Xbox One thus far...no way in HELL will sony do this. Everyone that is fine with 1080p gaming on their current PS4 will be fine...no worries. Think about it...sony is not gonna cut their biggest portion of PS4 gamers (current owners) off like that.

Yes, but it is technically possible for Sony to release newer higher powered hardware more regularly without cutting off existing users. If the sales numbers are any indication the majority of console gamers are still on last gen machines. Supporting older hardware is a fact of life.

And what do you mean by native 4k resolutions? Do you mean GPU hardware rendering? If so how do you prevent devs using that extra power in 1080p (or lower) games? Why would you prevent the using these resources, it makes no sense. If you just want 4K output an upscaler would give you that, and the rumour appears to be for a '.5' mid-gen refresh with enhanced GPU.

dano1

A Sheep
Surely one of the benefits of moving to x86 and AMD APUs is a consistent architecture and set of common APIs that can be shared with future machines be they PS4.5, PS5, or even PS6. And given that releasing more frequent hardware revisions shouldn't have any major impact on game development cycles.

The key isn't how many revisions are released in a given time frame, but how long each revision is supported before it is retired.

Yeah I'm not sure why people here can't grasp that concept? If you want to upgrade to 4.5 or 5 great your games look,load and play better! If not all games forward will still work on your ps4. Choice is good!!

DieH@rd

Banned

But on the other hand, 7th gen gave us enough time to get several trilogies on them [Gears, Resistance, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Halo, etc]. I count that as a bonus, because users got a great platform with consistent sequel releases.

But on the other hand, 7th gen gave us enough time to get several trilogies on them [Gears, Resistance, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Halo, etc]. I count that as a bonus, because users got a great platform with consistent sequel releases.

Why would that have to change? What would stop a developer from producing great games and sequels, even trilogies (or more), on any given platform? Why would a PS4.5 (assuming an iterative sales model) put a stop to the Playstation Platform hosting more great trilogies into the future? I don't get it.

Yea that wouldn't stop with an iterative console.

I'm hoping that this is ps5....and that hardware just upgrades every 4 years now. I think 3 years is too short. Phones and tablets upgrade every year yea, but there's hardly any difference to the user from IPhone 5 to 5s to 6 to 6s besides stuff being faster and now you have touch based features. For consoles I think 4 years is a big enough leap to call it a new system, but if you don't want to upgrade, more power to you, both are fully compatible with each other.

With everything fully b/c, I think that's the best way to satisfy both sides of this.

And yet consumers couldn't tell the difference between the Wii and the Wii U.

Theonik

And yet consumers couldn't tell the difference between the Wii and the Wii U.
I'm not sure they will face the same issues with confusion. What Sony should strive for if they go through with this is something closer to what Apple has with the iPhone. Applications are compatible with everything in a unified platform until it's not, but faster devices might get better performance. For a while games will work on both the enhanced and normal PS4s until the later becomes irrelevant and developers stop supporting it.

It's not hard to communicate that the enhanced PS4 is better, Nintendo had already destroyed the Wii brand at that point.

Epix

Seems like a PS4 Slim is the most likely source of the story. My only question though, is will this new box be able to play UHD media?

Top Bottom