• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

6 year generations are too long though... Phones, tablets, PCs, basically everything other than consoles get updates on a yearly basis. I can't imagine using the same phone for 7ish years.
Fuck that i like long generations, especially with the graphical diminishing returns i love being able to just have one box for a long time

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I guess that's my question, is it a 4k PS4 or a PS4 Slim (or both)?

That is what we are all trying to dig at, and a few, such as myself are leaning toward's possibly both (slim and performance upgrade in one, old one phased out).

If not, then the current PS4 may have a cheaper slim, and this one will replace the current PS4 pricepoint.

Still think the former makes more sense treading new water in the console space.

Quasar

A phone is not a home console. That comparison has always been off-topic and continues to be. If you don't understand why you have 6-7 generations and why it benefits to "the industry" (and the gamers) then I don't know what you're posting in these kind of threads.

Probably because potentially seeing consoles change from the geological model to something more modern is of interest.

Consumers mostly didn't care enough to tell the difference. The Wii name held no weight by the time the Wii U was released.

As someone who knows a thing or two about video games, I was confused by the Wii U - the reveal caused massive confusion as to whether it was a console... or a tablet add on for the Wii... due to the naming.

This didn't disappear for the mass market because, shockingly, a lot of the mass market don't care enough to research these things - bigger number = better is about as far as you'll get, which is why Sony's platform naming is genius... but for someone to research the difference between PS4 and PS4K? That's a stretch. Consumers don't care enough.

Epix

It seems reasonable to me that Sony would introduce a Slim PS4 that's "slimmer, and plays 4k UHD discs" rather than a new PS4 that's "Slimmer, plays 4k UHD discs, and plays games a little faster."

Doesn't seem the like the benefit of bifurcating the consumer base with a new SKU that runs games slightly faster makes any sense for Sony. Adding 4k playback, yes I can see that but not improving gameplay performance.

STEaMkb

I guess that's my question, is it a 4k PS4 or a PS4 Slim (or both)?

Hardware refresh > 14nm APU > 4K media playback (zero benefit for games).

Sony will position the device similar to how they promoted PS3 Blu Ray functionality.

Thinking of buying a Samsung or Panasonic 4K Blu Ray player? Pick up a PS4 and get one included :p

ClearData

They are probably misconstruing efficiency gains owing to a die shrink for a power increase.

AMD Making 20nm APUs For PS4 and Xbox One Slim – Will be smaller, cooler and cheaper

http://wccftech.com/amd-developing-20nm-ps4-xboxone-apu/

Kotaku bungled the story.

Is it possible that Sony and Microsoft were preparing to go to a 20nm die for a slim model back in 2015 but AMD might have stepped in and said they were going to the 14nm process that would provide more architectural advantages? Maybe that convinced them to hold off. Sony did end up releasing that revised PS4 with more compact memory modules and better power efficiency. Maybe they were planning those improvements for the slim model and they will be more dramatic improvements when that model actually arrives along with more potent 4K support..

Theonik

If Sony names it literally the PS4.5 the public will scoff it off for the most part. It would need to have a name like PS4K.
I don't think they will really name it the PS4.5. But it doesn't really matter as much as a new platform as Sony doesn't need people to move to it. It is purpoted to replace the existing PS4 like a souped up slim system.

Is it possible that Sony and Microsoft were preparing to go to a 20nm die for a slim model back in 2015 but AMD might have stepped in and said they were going to the 14nm process that would provide more architectural advantages? Maybe that convinced them to hold off. Sony did end up releasing that revised PS4 with more compact memory modules and better power efficiency. Maybe they were planning those improvements for the slim model and they will be more dramatic improvements when that model actually arrives along with more potent 4K support..

I take it it was indeed AMD saying they were going to skip 20nm to go right to 14. Going to it may have caused them to talk about Polaris or similar, and got the ball rolling for a, perhaps, upgrade along with the shrink.

Dahaka

So 1080p/60 and/or more details is more of a reality than 4K. As I expected.
Never believed the latter anyway. No way it beats a Titan X. Not enough magic in this world can cram such heat in such a form factor..

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Don't see the point if its 4K upscaled, not native.

Your new 4K TV, monitor will do the same for you and probably just as good as the PS4K

THE:MILKMAN

In the video they claim the PS4k will have an extra cpu core unlocked, but the 7th cpu core was unlocked to devs late last year. Sony have to reserve something for the OS.

I was thinking the same. No offence to them, but they seem confused about some things (though to be fair I may be too).

I can't believe it would be Polaris based yet presumably continue to use Jaguar cores.

kyser73

Don't see the point if its 4K upscaled, not native.

Your new 4K TV, monitor will do the same for you and probably just as good as the PS4K

This.

I think people don't realise most 4K TVs already upscale 1089 > 4K, so why would you need the console to do it?

platina

Hmm according to the know there's a game specifically harnessing the power of the ps4k to be shown at e3 and releasing early next year.
If it's silent hills I will cry so much

And yet consumers couldn't tell the difference between the Wii and the Wii U.

Right, let's think for a moment about they were confused. People thought it was an upgrade or add-on. Why? I think it's because people more and more expect incremental upgrades a la phones, pads and laptops now. It's how everything else works now. (Nintendo's ridiculous naming conventions were part of it, too.)

This idea of a fixed platform for five-plus years is a business model from the 1970s. We can't expect it's never going to change. Even the OS refreshes aren't enough over time. Look at how hampered the PS3 eventually was by its lack of RAM. The PS Store became nearly unusable because of it.

Change happens. This kind of refresh only makes sense today.

THE:MILKMAN

Hmm according to the know there's a game specifically harnessing the power of the ps4k to be shown at e3 and releasing early next year.

I'll leave aside the possible "downgrade" pitfalls this could lead to with the casual audience/current PS4 owners, but the obvious contender is GOW 4. Though I did note in a post by Zoetis in one of these PS4K threads that he quoted the word 'panic'. So may be Bends new game? A huge stretch there, granted...

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
This.

I think people don't realise most 4K TVs already upscale 1089 > 4K, so why would you need the console to do it?

For media. There is 4K content online. And 4K blu rays are a thing now.

Don't expect games to be rendered at 4K though.

Bgamer90

Banned
And yet consumers couldn't tell the difference between the Wii and the Wii U.

Bad comparison. Nintendo focused more on the game pad instead of the system, and there were already a ton of "Wii _" accessories before the Wii U launched. Nintendo set themselves up for confusion.

All Sony will have to do is say, "Old model for this price, new model for this more expensive price -- both systems play same games but the more expensive model is more powerful" and everything will be fine. It will be no more confusing than iPhone 6 vs. iPhone 6S.

RK128

If it's silent hills I will cry so much

We are already getting PS4.5 exclusives!? What the fu......!

Fine, will hold my thoughts until E3, then I will be rightfully angry over this news.

MchugN

We are already getting PS4.5 exclusives!? What the fu......!

Fine, will hold my thoughts until E3, then I will be rightfully angry over this news.

I'd say it's more of a PS4 exclusive that happens to look better on PS4K than a regular PS4. Kind of the whole point of this thing if true.

RK128

I'd say it's more of a PS4 exclusive that happens to look better on PS4K than a regular PS4. Kind of the whole point of this thing if true.

'Noticeable performance differences between PS4 and PS4.5', 'Games using the new hardware'

Will wait until E3 before I fully comment on this.

Lady Gaia

It's patently untrue that there's no benefit to the console doing native upscaling. There are multiple scenarios where it really would make a difference.

For one, games with a frame buffer at any resolution other than 1080p. While there almost certainly isn't the horsepower to run AAA titles at 4K, there may well be a few that decide to run at intermediate resolutions. 2400 x 1350 is about 56% more pixels than 1080p. Scaling down to 1080p and then back up to 4K wouldn't offer any resolution benefits, but scaling directly to 4K would be a different story.

For another, even at 1080p the UHD specification provides significant per-pixel benefits over HDTV. Support for HDR and much improved color gamut are both perfectly good reasons to support 4K output directly. Converting the same signal through a standard 1080p intermediary would strip all of these benefits.

Lastly, even if not very many games support native 4K, that's a very different thing from no games with a full 4K frame buffer. Having output hardware that allows a seamless transition between AAA 1080p titles and less intensive 4K titles without having to have your AVR or TV resync across resolutions changes makes for a much nicer experience.

RK128

I believe its fair to say this is happening.

Really hope Sony announces this soon, that way people can see what the differences between this new things and the original PS4 are.

All these rumors are pushing me away from getting a PS4 honestly.

AniHawk

There will be major (and in my opinion, justifiable) backlash if the PS4.5 has exclusives games. That wouldn't be good at all. I really can't see that happening.

what if it's the last guardian and it just needs a little more time than fall 2016 to complete the upgrade to the new hardware.

I'm not sure they will face the same issues with confusion. What Sony should strive for if they go through with this is something closer to what Apple has with the iPhone. Applications are compatible with everything in a unified platform until it's not, but faster devices might get better performance. For a while games will work on both the enhanced and normal PS4s until the later becomes irrelevant and developers stop supporting it.

Is anyone (that thinks this will be an incremental upgrade) arguing against this? This was the entire point of using x86.

It's not hard to communicate that the enhanced PS4 is better, Nintendo had already destroyed the Wii brand at that point.

But I do think they should take the PS4 off the shelf and replace it with the PS4K. As the market gets used to new consoles every three years, there will be less of an expectation that Sony needs to keep dropping the price and introducing "slim" models for consumers.

RK128

what if it's the last guardian and it just needs a little more time than fall 2016 to complete the upgrade to the new hardware.

.......XD!

It would just be icing on the cake, wouldn't it? A long delayed game being pushed to new hardware (OG PS4) to run better then but then needs even MORE power to run (PS4K or whatever.....just amazing :').

Really hope Sony announces this soon, that way people can see what the differences between this new things and the original PS4 are.

All these rumors are pushing me away from getting a PS4 honestly.

It'd hurt sales until launch. Not sure they'll do that.

RK128

It'd hurt sales until launch. Not sure they'll do that.

Not explaing the differences? That would be false marketing then, as if games look better on this new PS4 over the original one, people would be (rightfully) upset :l.

If Sony wants to dig its own grave, let them I suppose......that is too harsh :(. Sorry for that comment but I really don't want this PS4.5 thing to happen honestly.

Top Bottom