• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Can't say I am a fan of this idea at all. I buy a console so I know for the next X amount of years I can play anything that comes out on it and know I'll get the best experience from whatever is made for it. Going the iteration route, and the inevitable "versions" of games I imagine will follow could not interest me less. This hasn't worked for anyone in the console space before, and I can't imagine it doing much better now.

wapplew

problem is we are cross gen'd permanently and cross gen fucking sucks.....it also means that the old version may be even gimped to sell newer hardware or run even worse than some of the crap we get now.

I'm not a fan of this approach

This so much.
The only reason for foward compatible is new hardware release too soon and they don't want to piss people off. Forward compatible fucking sucks!
It sucks for dev, it's suck for gamers.

daveo42

Banned
Cd2k1w7W8AAXN_r.jpg

The world is ever changing.

wZWFEZl.gif

V has come to.

Wait a sec, what would Sony win by doing this ?

PS4 is selling extremely well (and show no sign of slowing down), they're making a ton of money, WHY would they do this ?

To keep hardware parity with Xbox. That's the main reason I see.

Xbox One was / is a duff > Microsoft replace it in quick fashion (as hinted by Phil Spencer)

PS4 doing great > Follow Microsoft or PS4 becomes the weak console with new Xbox being the better choice for new customers. PS4 no longer doing as great.

I would think Sony would have ideally liked to have the PS4 as their defacto games machine for years to come. It's selling amazingly well so I can only see external factors being the main cause for this direction.

IMO.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Because splitting the market has worked so well before...

I am beginning to think that there is a complete lack of understanding among those in the console space on why this doesn't even matter.

You think devs are going to abandon the PS4 population for the ps4.5? No, they will develop for the bigger one, ps4 and allow ps4.5 to get better Framerate and IQ. When ps5 comes out, ps4 will be phased out but ps4.5 will still run the games(And so on).

Basically, like fucking pc but without the imaginary hassle.

cheesekao

Some of you need to take a step back and look at this rationally. Getting upset over rumors or misinformation is one of the worst aspects of neogaf or any forum really.

pushBAK

Probly has a lot to do with HBM. It's a paradigm shift in memory technology, without an update PC's would be the only place to play 4K.

doemaaan

So it's supposed to help with the performance of VR?... That really annoys me. As if me wanting to spend the $499 wasn't enough already, now there's this supposed new console that will make the experience smoother? The ps4 I have now damn well better not give me one hiccup while playing any VR experience.
Wow, can you imagine if they start releasing VR games that are only supported by this supposed new console?? Fucking hell. I really don't like this at all.

Zedox

The Sony version of UWP (aka just their gaming platform) will happen with some forward and all backward compatibility. It just makes sense. Do it sony. Do it.

It doesnt bother me because I sure as hell womt upgrade until im ready.

But I am bothered my the almost guaranteed increase in bad ports. It will happen and its gonna suck.

grumble

This would be such a horrible idea I'd be surprised if it were true. It would fragment the install base which would destroy half the point of the system for both gamers and developers.

Ellite25

I don't know why this makes people upset. Sony wouldn't allow there to be PS4K exclusive games. They aren't going to split their user base like that and essentially have 2 consoles out. Nor would publishers or developers do that to themselves. You'll likely see better fps, resolution, some other graphical upgrades. I think that's awesome for people that want those things. And like others have said, if they can add various other upgrades to the console besides just the increased power it would be great. I'd consider buying one.

I'm only down for 4 year refreshes, and I'm still more along the lines of the new hardware coming out in year 5 even. This gen...

No Gran Turismo yet
No GTA yet
No Mass Effect
No Final Fantasy
No Resident Evil
No Dragon Quest
No God of War

Nothing yet from so many popular studios, so yeah, I get the apprehension. I think 2018 is a nice transition year. All ps4 needs is hardware improvements that don't effect the userbase in any way.

Yes Sony Yes I really want to see this. Have an upgrade planned every two years if it means the console gets iterations like the iPhone. Would be great for consoles game development of it meant games could run better and better with each new version of the console

jaypah

Nothing happens in a vacuum.

Microsoft announced similar plans very recently. Some people liked the idea. Some people hated the idea. Reasonable arguments were made on both sides.

So, if Sony is going this route it adds validity to all those who defended/liked Microsoft's similar decision.

Therefore, it is not surprising to see some of the most active members from the "Microsoft open to making iterative console hardware" thread submitting a lot of posts in this thread.

Did you quote the wrong post?

SenkiDala

Wait a sec, what would Sony win by doing this ?

PS4 is selling extremely well (and show no sign of slowing down), they're making a ton of money, WHY would they do this ?

Exactly my thought, I just don't understand this move, if it turns out to be true.

They have just no reason to do that. And people (including me) who preordered the PSVR will cancel this preorder if they start to feel that the PSVR has in fact been made to work with the PS4.5 and not with the "simple" PS4.

Motherfuckers better let me trade in my launch PS4 with a ~$50 upgrade fee to get the new one or I'm gunna be pissed. Translation: I'm probably going to end up pissed.

Splintering the installbase like that would be a real dick move.

joms5

I thought you meant graphically.

Oh no no. That will happen with the release of Uncharted 4.

But like good lord, I've only got 8 games for my PS4 so far (with 2 or 3) that I still have to buy. And this system is already into it's 3rd year. Makes me almost regret not waiting to pick one up.

Illucio

Banned
Never a good idea to update a console midway unless you can equip it to your console. Don't pull a Nintendo and make exclusive games for it either, just have them boost performance or have slightly better parts to help things like Wifi or help boost the Playstation VR.

hemo memo

Gold Member
A few requirements to sell me on this:

- Full backwards compatibility, including DS4. I do not want a new controller. Unless its DS4 with better battery life.

- Hardware that can EASILY 60FPS full settings the most challenging current software, like Witcher 3.

- Along with that upgrade, software emulation for (at the very minimum) PSX and PS2. PS3 is a pipe dream but hey.

- Make the upgrade linear enough to allow developers to...maybe patch performance enhancements to old PS4 titles? (Witcher 3, RoTR, FFXV, ect)

Other than that, im cool with my PS4 and i have a PC. I'm probably gonna buy this anyway if it's true, but i wont be excited for it unless it's more convenient than my PS4.

Digital Foundry is having a field day.

Loving all the anger in this thread. The end of traditional consoles are upon us, FUCK YES. No more PS4, PS5, just PlayStation and Xbox ecosystems. Closed down PCs>>>> consoles.

Console running games at 4k when currently the 1080p60fps is difficult to achieve? I will believe it when I see it. Maybe 4k 24fps. Or super expensive.

But if this is true, think about all the remasters that can be remastered again. So many games!

I expect the games to run about the same as ps4 games, just at higher resolution. I don't think we will see 30 fps ps4 games running at 60 fps at 4k. Or added effects.

Kolx

If Sony doesn't deny this rumor within the next 24 hours I'll start to believe there's something going on. This will affect current sales and unless this's true they would be denying this as fast as they can.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
It doesnt bother me because I sure as hell womt upgrade until im ready.

But I am bothered my the almost guaranteed increase in bad ports. It will happen and its gonna suck.

This, people thinking PS4 1.0 stuff will stay the same are living in lala land.

ironcreed

Banned
People acting like their PS4 will be rendered useless, lol. The games will still work for PS4 as well and you do not have to upgrade until you are ready. It will be the same kind of deal with what Microsoft is doing with Xbox.

wapplew

I don't know why this makes people upset. Sony wouldn't allow there to be PS4K exclusive games. They aren't going to split their user base like that and essentially have 2 consoles out. Nor would publishers or developers do that to themselves. You'll likely see better fps, resolution, some other graphical upgrades. I think that's awesome for people that want those things. And like others have said, if they can add various other upgrades to the console besides just the increased power it would be great. I'd consider buying one.

And that's what make me upset, better resolution/fps and other graphical upgrades. Just like PC.
PS4.5 play better performance PS4 games, PS5 play even better performance PS4 games, PS5.5 play much much better performance PS4 games.

ViciousDS

Banned
This so much.
The only reason for foward compatible is new hardware release too soon and they don't want to piss people off. Forward compatible fucking sucks!
It sucks for dev, it's suck for gamers.

exactly.....why optimize games anymore? They will no longer be targeting hardware and waste resources making a game run good, while looking as good as it can on the current generation.

instead it will be optimize for newest hardware and port to old

think black ops 3

which ended up working worse than black ops 2 and having less content for the same god damn price on the PS3 and 360......yes, that's the future right there....fuck that

GnawtyDog

Banned
Looking forward to the mess the market will become. Cause surely the market will follow what ever the marketing department spouts with no confusion and apathy, just love and care.

We'll see.

vcc

I think it might be blowing it out of proportion. Sounds a new revision with a newer HDMI out. Maybe a 4k scaler. The nonsense chatter from Phill Spencer from before is blowing this up.

Top Bottom