• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Ferr986

If Sony doesn't deny this rumor within the next 24 hours I'll start to believe there's something going on. This will affect current sales and unless this's true they would be denying this as fast as they can.

wouldnt affect sales that much in the short term. The average player will not even know till they see a PS4.5 announced and think "wtf is going on with my PS4".

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Motherfuckers better let me trade in my launch PS4 with a ~$50 upgrade fee to get the new one or I'm gunna be pissed. Translation: I'm probably going to end up pissed.

Splintering the installbase like that would be a real dick move.

I don't think calling them "Motherfuckers" or demanding a company give you "basically" free shit because "reasons" is a good look for anyone.

People acting like their PS4 will be rendered useless, lol. The games will still work for PS4 as well and you do not have to upgrade until you are ready. It will be the same kind of deal with what Microsoft is doing with Xbox.

If it's just a resolution upgrade to 4K then I won't mind at all. I don't have a 4K TV regardless, but if it's an upgrade that makes games run better then I will mind.

Faustek

Come on guys! this is great news! Now they'll finally be able to achieve disc emulation for PS1 and PS2!!

Or They and MS are really building proprietary Steam Machines.

Wagram

I don't like, but at the same time the cost of such a device would likely be way outside the average consumers range anyways. That would require a much better GPU than what we have now.

To keep hardware parity with Xbox. That's the main reason I see.

Xbox One was / is a duff > Microsoft replace it in quick fashion (as hinted by Phil Spencer)

PS4 doing great > Follow Microsoft or PS4 becomes the weak console with new Xbox being the better choice for new customers. PS4 no longer doing as great.

I would think Sony would have ideally liked to have the PS4 as their defacto games machine for years to come. It's selling amazingly well so I can only see external factors being the main cause for this direction.

IMO.
Supposing Xbox One+ releases in 2017, why don't Sony wait for 2018 and release a more powerful PS5 to have the upperhand for another generation?

Let Microsoft deal with the problems of launching mid gen. Xbox One+ wouldn't have real next gen games made for it because that would piss OG XBO users off, and there wouldn't be enough XBO+s out there to justify games taking advantage of it's power.
Then, before XBO+ reaches a big enough userbase, Sony could release a more powerful PS5 which is backwards compatible with the PS4 just in time for the first next gen games.

It makes sense to me.

HooYaH

I don't know why this makes people upset. Sony wouldn't allow there to be PS4K exclusive games. They aren't going to split their user base like that and essentially have 2 consoles out. Nor would publishers or developers do that to themselves. You'll likely see better fps, resolution, some other graphical upgrades. I think that's awesome for people that want those things. And like others have said, if they can add various other upgrades to the console besides just the increased power it would be great. I'd consider buying one.

I would like an upgrade, but I guess some people here would like a 8 year cycle again. Upgrading every 4 years is not bad at all compared to other industries with full backward capabilities.

Kolx

wouldnt affect sales that much in the short term. The average player will not even know till they see a PS4.5 announced and think "wtf is going on with my PS4".

Why would you even risk that when you can basically deny it? I've already seen people saying they will delay their purchase of PS4 cuz of this. ofc that is if you have nothing under development with this idea.

Fdkn

Would you still be against it if you continue to get EVERY game on PS4 until some reasonable date [late 2019 for example, after that you still get many, but not all]?

playable or '''playable''' ?

We've already seen how cross-gen works. It sucks.

Crayon

I think it might be blowing it out of proportion. Sounds a new revision with a newer HDMI out. Maybe a 4k scaler. The nonsense chatter from Phill Spencer from before is blowing this up.

I agree.

Again, if there is some major demand for 4k gaming, maybe they can make this for a very handsome price and get some of that 4k money.

ghostjoke

Banned
They (the whole industry) just keeps removing ticks from the benefits of console list. 4K is way too optimistic when it's next to "4.5" It's way too optimistic in general.

Why_not_both%3F.jpg

Why can't Sony put BOTH 1080p AND 4K asset on the same BD disc?

You buy the disc and it runs at whatever resolution of PS4 you have?

This way, developers can make it run on BOTH PS4 units - you can keep playing it on the original PS4 and when you feel like upgrading, you can play it at 4K on the new PS4.5. All on the same disc. No need to repurchase.

It wouldn't even be considered "Backward Compatibility" - it would simply be a matter of HARDWARE SCALING.

And the PS4.5 could UPSCALE current 1080p PS4 games to 2K or 4K, if you wanted, so SOny could continue to sell older PS4 games for the PS4.5.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Xbox One was / is a duff > Microsoft replace it in quick fashion (as hinted by Phil Spencer)

PS4 doing great > Follow Microsoft or PS4 becomes the weak console with new Xbox being the better choice for new customers. PS4 no longer doing as great.

I would think Sony would have ideally liked to have the PS4 as their defacto games machine for years to come. It's selling amazingly well so I can only see external factors being the main cause for this direction.

IMO.

why would sony be worried? nobody flocked to xbox just because it was more powerful.

Anastasis

With AMD supporting external GPUs (albeit through thunderbolt 3 connections), is there anyway the PS4 could benefit from something similar?

IMO.

Even if MS launches a new Xbox more powerful than PS4, I don't see PS4 sales slowing down. It's too late, Sony has the momentum, everyone is on PS4, all your friends are on PS4, you're not gonna switch for just extra power.

Why would you even risk that when you can basically deny it? I've already seen people saying they will delay their purchase of PS4 cuz of this. ofc that is if you have nothing under development with this idea.

A bunch of idiots throwing a temper tantrum on a forum don't mean shit.

How much PC horsepower do you need to run 4K games well at, say, 30fps? I was under the impression it was kind of a lot. Like GTX 970 levels of horsepower. That seems like a pretty significant jump, and it also sounds very costly. When would this PS4.5 release? If it's not for another two years maybe this makes sense, but any sooner and it seems unbelievable.

EDIT: wait, I forgot that 4K = 2160p, not 1440p. That makes this seem even less likely, no? The GPU in this thing will have to be pretty intense, as will the VRAM. How do you get all that into a $400 package when GTX980s sell for well beyond that price point?

StereoVsn

Why are people freaking out? It would work the same way as PCs except having to optimize to 2 SKUs vs 1,000,000. Or the same idea as iOS devices.

As long as APIs and OS stays then this should work great for everyone. People who want 60fps on 1080p or say 4K with 30fps get their wish. People with current PS4s will get games with roughly same performance as they do now. In 3-4 years you will see games requiring new 4.5 only show up.

Do you think that Ubisoft, EA or Activision will drop 65-70mil PS4 install base (by say end of 2017) just because PS4.5 gets released in Nov of 2017?

No, they get to sell games to everyone just as they do now plus the buyers of the upgraded model get higher res, more graphics effects or higher FPS. It's not the end of the world.

If Xbone is going in the direction of upgrades then Sony has to do the same pretty much. Again, it doesn't make your current PS4 bad, obsolete or useless. I bought GTX980 card last year. By end of this year there will be a new GTX1080 card that's over 2x as fast. Doesn't mean that I can't run games on my video card on the current PC then.

I think this is just a sign that standard console cycles are going away. It will be more of a PC/Steam Machine approach to gaming (But not as often as Mobile). MS has already started doing this and hinted at the Hardware side, now Sony is doing the same. Nintendo is also doing it with NX (at least from what little we know).

I think as long as the games are compatible with both versions then I don't see an issue. If you can play Uncharted 4 on both but one has higher Res/Framerate then awesome. People who care will pay more and get the PS4+ (people like me haha). I would only have an issue if it splinters the player base of the games and splinters the population of PSN on PS4.

They can convince people that cellphones costs 600 god damn dollars and make you pay it off over 2 years, again, again, and again.

But we cant even theorize a fucking video game machine costing 400 bucks and it needs to last 7 years!?

The lack of perspective is STAGGERING

I bet if it costs 20 bucks a month for consoles and mp sub, people would eat it the fuck up.
I know I would

WERE x86 NOW, get real. Its just a computer in a box. Hell, the Xbox is closer than ever

the false equivalency here is the only thing blowing my mind. Dedicated gaming console does not equal: phone/tablet lol.

meanspartan

Fuck this if there is no easy (and reasonably priced) way to upgrade.

One of the few benefits of Console gaming is knowing that if I buy the system near-ish to launch, I will have 5 years or so of a console that will just work, no upgrades needed, and no feeling like you are getting a second class experience.

If this is gonna be the new practice, may as well just go PC-only.

Wait til Ps5 for 4k I think.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Can't wait to play cross-mid-gen games that run at a smooth 10fps on my og PS4.

If you got 5 years out it why are you complaining? I spend $1000+ every 4 years on a computer and $800 every two years on a video card. Plus $400 x (number of consoles) every 5 years for their revisions.

Even after adding that all up, in a 5 year period I bet I waste more the $3400 I spend on gaming on frivolous garbage like eating out at way to expensive restaurants, going to overpriced movies, blowing ammo at shooting ranges, buying crap that I will never use, etc.

I guarantee you do as well (though they may be different things).

Markoman

The Sony version of UWP (aka just their gaming platform) will happen with some forward and all backward compatibility. It just makes sense. Do it sony. Do it.

So Zedox, here we meet again :D
Like I've said in the Xbox Upgrade thread...Sony will react.
Here we are, I'm still very surprised by the news and we can't even say for sure who started this (maybe MS got some info beforehand and started the whole upgrade talk).

To push VR this makes absolutely sense, because the PS4 can't handle
AAA games @ 2X1080p + >60FPS

As a PS4 owner I stand by my point, the console upgrade idea made the Xbox even less attractive to me and now the PS4X follows the same path. I have built a new PC some days ago and I can see myself not owning consoles in the future now.

if it splits the market it's a bad idea. comparing to mobiles isn't the same either, because those all take advantage of development API's that make it easy to scale software up/down to have a somewhat broad device compatibility, and not only that, but consumers are willing to dish out the money for a device their whole life revolves around, not a stationary game console sitting in their living room.

to release a 'PS4.5' that can run PS4 games AND also allow devs to enhance their software to take advantage of the extra horsepower but stay compatible with vanilla PS4, they would have to overhaul how their software kits and API's work, establish a hard requirement that all games released moving forward must be compatible with the old PS4, and both of those things would surely make the testing and certification process a lot longer and more complicated.

this really smells of either PS5 just starting early or a PS4 with the PSVR box built into it. the wording about it having extra power for VR games sounds like it could possibly not even allow non-VR games to access the extra power at all.

Wow many people demanding that they offer a good upgrade program or else!!!

Also developers will still target the PS4 model now. They wouldnt build games just for the newer system. You realize developers like to make money right? The PS4 has an install base of almost 40 million by summer? Lets say ps4.5 release this fall and has a 20 million install base by 2018, the developers will still target the PS4. The games will run comparable to a low end PC but they will run just fine. Sony will probably support the base ps4 by 2021 or 2022 which is still too long for technology.

Ellite25

I would like an upgrade, but I guess some people here would like a 8 year cycle again. Upgrading every 4 years is not bad at all compared to other industries with full backward capabilities.
Most other industries offer upgrades yearly or every two years. If people don't want the PS4K don't get it, you'll still get the same games. Wait for a PS5. But I agree with you, I'm ok with upgrades every 4 years or so. By the time the PS3's cycle was coming to an end it was pretty outdated.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Fuck.this.

When spencer hinted at this I thought to myself how glad I was that my ps4 is my main console. But now? Fuck you Sony. And the worst part is, they might make money doing this.

Here comes everyone praising Sony for how smart they are

Been saying for months this was coming, now people are pissed. If gamers thought in environment where people pay for mobile phone upgrades much more than they do consoles things would stay the same are foolish to say the least. Not smart just good business sense at this point, but there's still risk.

Top Bottom