• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

-Horizon-

We don’t know whether current PS4 owners will be able to upgrade or if they’ll have to buy an entirely new device to benefit from this power boost
How would an upgrade work? That doesn't seem possible. Its gonna be "BUY this new more powerful console".

Griss

I feel like they would have predicted that MS would be forced into this, and that therefore they had to go ahead and do it to.

The fact that the PS4 can't do 4K (which is the big new thing) and is very weak by VR standards (the other big new thing) makes this a no-brainer for me.

Looking forward to it!

Shorter gens! More reveals! More excitement!

Eh, I'd rather the PS4 try to tackle higher frame rates than 4K. It's either 4K at 30 (or less) or we can stick with 1080p and hit 60 (if not higher).

I'll take 4k at 30fps please, and I'll pay handsomely for it.

jbug617

Banned
Patrick also mentioned that he was hearing about an updated Xbox One for a while also.
I’ve heard whispers about an upgraded Xbox One for a while now, and Microsoft has been public about the possibility. At a press briefing earlier this month, Xbox head Phil Spencer hinted to journalists that his company has been exploring the possibility of evolving hardware. “We look at these other ecosystems out there like mobile, tablet and PC,” Spencer told the assembled press, as reported by Polygon, “and we see that they have a very continuous evolution cycle in hardware, whereas between console generations most of the evolution is making it cheaper and potentially making it smaller.”

Tirod

I'm not necessarily against this myself (especially if there was a decent trade in promotion) but man consoles really aren't closed boxes anymore, huh?

ogbg

To go from struggling to hit 30 fps at 1080p to 4K is a bit more than a 0.5 increment. Seriously doubtful.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This is the reality. PC still doesn't require money for online play. Balance that against some console exclusives on a smaller market, I'm not seeing much of a reason to stick with consoles at all tbh.

Brinbe

Scoops is legit too, so I believe this 100%... I kinda doubt there'll be more on this @ E3, but holy crap. Seems too soon for this, but I guess it makes sense if this comes out in a year or two?

Console gaming is getting to be too fucking expensive, especially when you factor in VR.

And the last thing people need is more useless hardware cluttering their living spaces. This isn't a good precedent if there's not a smooth and easy way to upgrade.

Cipherr

Console gaming is getting crazy boooooys.

I like it. Probably more to do with accommodating VR better than 'splitting' the library.

Even though I just picked up a PS4 I'm perfectly OK with this. Bring on more iterative consoles!

One developer jokingly called it the ‘PS4K’ while telling me about the device.

That is disgustingly beautiful. No other name can come close.

Is this going to be like the PS2 revision that had 480p support?

I find it hard to believe a new PS4 revision would have anything to do with making games run better.

Freeman

Banned
PS4K. I can live with that as long as games are optimized and feature complete for the regular PS4.

How not to do it : New 3DS

Nameless

I know we heard rumblings of this before MS hinted about their plans, but Sony pretty much has to at this point. Both need to make it a official or kill these rumors as it's kind of screwing over prospective console owners.

Anywy, sure, I'd probably give my PS4 to my parents as a media device and grab the PS4 Type C. Both major players ramping up the power probably means this gen goes on another 4-5 years at least, which I'm fine with.

I'm intrigued as to what they will consider 4k ready for games.

I've always been pretty split between my play time on PCs and consoles. I wonder if incremental based hardware would just move me fully towards PC?

Either way, E3 could be nifty this year.

Ideologically I'm against creating a divide in the userbase, but if Sony is doing this primarily for VR game purposes then it's a little more understandable.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I added a couple other short snippets about how many sources they hit and that they're under the impression Microsoft is doing this too.

webster1

Neo Member
Depending on how this rat race gets implemented by Sony and Nintendo I may just quit gaming, I tend to get launch day consoles and get a game or two then let then sit. If the launch day consoles become obsolete after 3 years the only first adopters are going to be the people who can send 300 to 500 every 3 years for a console, others may tend to wait til the last iteration and buy games at that point or buy games til the last iteration.

but if that's the case how does an upgrade system solve the problem? Wouldn't developers still be making games for the current PS4 as the baseline?

Yes but at least now there will be an option for people to play in its "intended" form - that is, with little to no graphical compromise.

If devs weren't making games with the current ps4 as baseline then they would just start using the full power of the new one and the result is you'd still have 1080/900p and 30fps because they will ALWAYS push the limits in that regard

Top Bottom