• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Corpekata

Banned
Doesn't this kind of line up with the Netflix statement about a hardware revision allowing 4k playback a year or so ago?

I'd highly doubt we'll see many games at 4k, though some smaller scale games might be likely. It'll add support for it like the article says, but probably be fairly rare.

Sylas

They're gonna have to price very competitively to get people on board. If you start touching on PC-levels pricing, there's less and less reason (outside of perceived convenience) to stick to consoles. It'll be interesting.

Vamphuntr

Seems to justify my choice of spending money on a gaming PC instead. At least I control the parts I will get and can upgrade too.

For the average consumers it probably won't be different from the 3DS/N3DS or the traditional slim console revisions.

JordanN

Banned
I don't like what these consoles are becoming, save us Nintendo.

I find this ironic since they're the ones who started it.

br1K3Ec.jpg

If anything, the blame is on them.

Par Score

This is how consumer electronics works.

A 5-7 year lifespan for a product is just not feasible, though I'm not sure if consoles will drop to a Apple style yearly model or go for some middle ground.

Edit: SCOOOOOOPS

Feorax

Really not interested.

PS4 to me still feels like a "new" console that's yet to really hit it's stride. Such a waste if it never gets the chance to in it's current form.

Kudo

I'd buy it but.. Sounds like a very stupid idea, or very good one if you want to go down like Sega.
So probably not true, or just preparations for PS5 in 3-4 years.

The back end of the last generation was excruciating as far as game perf went so I wouldn't be totally opposed to a beefier version of a console late in the cycle. I can see this doing well if it's marketed purely as a type of "elite" PS4, I can't imagine it would do well if games became exclusive to it, or if it was pitched as a replacement for the original model.

Whatever road they go down the old PS4 (or current I suppose) still has to be the lowest common denominator as far as software compatibility goes. We live in very, very interesting times where both Sony and Microsoft are talking about this stuff.

Protann

I already dropped $400 on a PS4, I'm going to be dropping $400+ on PSVR, and they have the balls to try to sell a new and improved PS4? This just makes me want to invest in a good PC.

reKon

Banned
Once the rumors start accumulating this place will go insane. I for one welcome the future of being able to steaming 1080P 60 FPS Uncharted 4 on PS4.5 remote play on my future 10+ inch screen tablet using a Dualshock 4.5 while I'm away from home where my console sits. What a time..

Quonny

This single rumor (from a source I trust) means I'm holding out on PSVR now.

Welcome me, PC brothers and sisters, for I feel like I may become one of you soon.

For w.e. reason I hope this isn't true. But some part of me is like yes Sony make this happen.

It would push me to get a new TV for sure.

Patryn

Whee. So glad I got a PS4 on day one. I'll certainly get one of the new ones and bend over for another $400...

Unrelated, but where is that link to the PC Build thread?

SerTapTap

If true this is SO fucking stupid to pull the same gen as PSVR. Buy PS4, buy PSVR, buy ANOTHER PS4, it's sorta worse than the New 3DS...speaking of, holy shit are they going to need to provide more value than that thing. I have a New 3DS and I still think it's stupid.

Also, we're getting moderately late into the console cycle, it makes so much more sense to just release a PS5 after 5 years and keep backwards compatibility.

entremet

Not a chance in hell this will happen.

No one in their right mind will purchase another console for just 4K because that will mean Sony believes their consumer base will purchase a 1000-2000$ 4K TV, and I do not see Sony falling for something so idiotic.

CE devices are becoming disposable. Consoles will be no different.

That's pretty surprising. How many 4K TV's are in the market?

Yup. I suspect developers pushed them both on this because of how they seem to be struggling with some demanding games this early in the gen

Were you around last gen? Tons of high profile games at sub-hd resolution barely making 30fps. A new GPU isn't going to make a difference. Pack in a Geforce Titan and devs will try to squeeze as much power as they can while trying to maintain a passable framerate.

Eusis

I call this BS. Sony would do like sega and shoot themselves in the foot like the genesis CD
The idea is probably more smartphones and less that.

Which I won't like very much given the appeal of consoles has been a solid baseline to depend on. Then again if this is full BC with games beings patchable to take advantage and out at the end of next year it'd solve BC issues, be out in a similar time frame to earlier generations, and help kill that late gen nagging feeling that this console exclusive could have been SO MUCH BETTER on even a low range PC.

Sounds like bullshit to me. Especially since Sony has been pushing the concept of every PS4 being the same as a major selling point to developers for PSVR at GDC

psvrl3st3.png

Crayon

I don't know bout all dat. PS4 games already look pretty sharp at 1080p. Is 4k getting that big that they need a 4k ps4? Where's the higher end psvr to go with it?

Are people seriously thinking a PS4.5 could do 4K gaming?
I have a 980ti and most AAA-games wont run in 4K at a good framerate.

And what's the point of having 4K resolution if most people are going to watch it in 1080p, I would take 1080p and stable 60fps over a higher resolution. I would by a PS4.5 that enforces a 1080p/60fps standard for games.

Ferr986

I that's true I guess it's time to move to PC only finally.

If i have to drop out a big money every 3 years I may as well drop it for the superior specs.

Wheres the security in investing in an incrimental upgrade when another will release soon after?

I really hope this model is not adopted by consoles - leave it to the pc space where games performance can be scaled accordingly to hardware.

If this releases next year thats 4 years. That seems like a more then healthy split between doing a yearly upgrade ala iphone and the 6 year + console cycles of old.

Krisprolls

Banned
I don't like this idea. You fragment the user base and you lose part of the system closeness so I don't see it as a good idea.

Just call it PS5 and release it in a few years and it'll be fine.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I heard about this by some friends in the game industry.

Pretty bad move concerning customers if you ask me. We have seen how well the New 3DS did, but if price is the same as current PS4, as soon as good numbers will be revealed, devs will jump on the occasion to forget 'old' PS4.

I worry about the opposite. I think with the PS4 userbase being so massive, devs will just continue to make games for that alone and the new features will have only a few games to play.

Were you around last gen? Tons of high profile games at sub-hd resolution barely making 30fps. A new GPU isn't going to make a difference. Pack in a Geforce Titan and devs will try to squeeze as much power as they can while trying to maintain a passable framerate.

Assuming the games will still be built for baseline ps4/xb1 that won't be the case here.

Top Bottom