• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

StoopKid

SqohAK.png

I really wouldn't be that shocked. I remember on message boards people swore up and down no way ps4 will have 8gb ram.

Heartfyre

Plainly every PS4 game would run on all PS4s, just better on PS4K. Otherwise it's a generational divide and may as well be called PS5. That's the only way I can make sense of all this.

oti

Banned
lmao. You expect a box to be released that lets you play 4k gaming in the 500-600 range??? That is some funny shit. 980ti's alone barely can hit 4k @30fps and that is turning some settings down to get there and those are +$600 GPU's alone. You want 4k and minimum 30fps out of console by the end of the year, expect to pay about $1,200.00 if not more for that pleasure. Perhaps in full year or year and a half you can get a console doing 4k/30fps at around $800+.

This is why I don't take the 4K claim too seriously right now. I can see some cleaner textures and maybe 60 FPS throughout (which for me would be way more important than resolution) but 4K for like 500€ maybe? Hard to believe.

Seeing how consoles are already crippling under new games compared to the PC I'm happy this is happening.

Hawk269

Yeah 4k is pretty niche right now. I think the details will be revealed and it's a HDMI upgrade with a 4k scalar built in. And everyone will go meh.

4k TV's however already upscale whatever content to 4k already.

I said it before, I think this may just be a 4k Blu Ray Trojan horse like Sony has done in the past with DVD and Blu Ray. A remodeled PS4 with a 4k Blu Ray Player and HDMI 2.0 port to allow it to have the bandwidth for HDR and 4k Blu Ray playback. You can have indie games to 4k, but simple games that don't require a ton of resources.

thuway

Good shit, AMD/Nvidia upcoming processor jumps are going to be too good to ignore as far as power per watt. It's either waste it on an Xbox One/PS4 Mini or go big... Maybe they should do both.

Discontinuing the PS4 and fully realizing a PS4S sounds like a better idea ;). Keep one machine at $399 and the other at $249. You essentially hit the sweet spot.

Fdkn

Let's be honest, the practical result of this will be using PS4.0 as the baseline and then just upping the framerate and resolution.

After seeing how many cross-gen games work or how 3ds 'run' some games that have increased stuff in N3DS... I wouldn't put my hand on the fire on that.

Devs take enough compromises already on fixed hardware to push their mostly useless eyecandy and openworldeverywhere stuff. Giving them a reason to push even farter is not really a good idea.

In that same line of thinking, I don't think the way to improve the current bloated budgetting of game development is giving them the chance to go for even more expensive assets and productions values.

I would love to see a 1 or 2 year cycle in console country. Much like tablets and phones. As long as they can guarantee compatibility for 3 years at minimum.

Easily

Upgrades along our current SOC development path are reaching their limit soon.

Until the next big change in computing happens we are going to see much smaller gains

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I would love to see a 1 or 2 year cycle in console country. Much like tablets and phones. As long as they can guarantee compatibility for 3 years at minimum.

I find this to be a terrible idea for consoles. I used to think it would be ok but on further thought I think it will just fragment the userbase.

Only 3 years of compatibility? Please.

jax

Banned
If the price is right I might sell my PS4 for this. Hopefully it improves the graphics at 1080p as well since my only above 1080p screen is my 1440p PC monitor.

lmao. You expect a box to be released that lets you play 4k gaming in the 500-600 range??? That is some funny shit. 980ti's alone barely can hit 4k @30fps and that is turning some settings down to get there and those are +$600 GPU's alone. You want 4k and minimum 30fps out of console by the end of the year, expect to pay about $1,200.00 if not more for that pleasure. Perhaps in full year or year and a half you can get a console doing 4k/30fps at around $800+.

Well to be fair they never said the graphics rendering level would be what we have now @ 4K, so for all we know we could be seeing circa 2008 PS3 graphics at 4K.

ExVicis

Fuck no. Besides being extremely wasteful that's a fuck ton of money to throw around.

Wreav

Banned
This is sorely needed from a VR perspective, and it's clear for literally EVERYTHING Sony has said for the last 2 years that they anticipate VR being the standard form of entertainment within 5 years.

This is how they get there.

Faustek

4K setup would cost quite a bit. I don't think Sony would chase the 1% market.

The PS3 was for the 1% market....cost them dearly.

I'm not understanding this mentality.

If you buy a monitor today and a better one comes out a year from now, will that make you upset? If you buy a car now, and an updated model is released next year, will that make you upset? What if you bought a printer today and a better one comes out a year from now... how does that affect you?

yeah I have a 750Ld coming in. Gonna get really pissed if they realease a 750LiX that removes the ability for me to drive on the road -.-

Sony and MS want that mobile phone money.

People upgrade their phone every 2 years.

It´s the Apple thing: 3 3S 4 4S 5 5S

I think it´s really cool.

Games will stay compatible, but look better on a 4,5.

Most people finance their phones though. The best thing about consoles is you buy it and you know you're good for 5 years. The last gen went on about 2 years too long but it seems crazy to mess with this.

Oh so when people been talking about a Xbox One Pro (aka me) and the updated ways of hardware with consoles...some people "laughed". I hope it's true for all consoles. No need to keep these generations that long. This is exactly what a bunch of people speculated (just on the MS side based off of Phil's comments).

That would signify the death of consoles as we know them. Why would a company fragment its own market, especially that it has sold close to 40 million consoles already? What benefit would it bring to its already established consumers' base? Why would a model that suits phones, which are considered a necessity in today's world, be adapted to a sector that has gained so much from being stable and standardized?

I call bullshit on this article...

Trago

So MS and Sony are doing this. Perhaps both companies want to avoid the step function of new generations.

That, and avoid pissing away all the hard work put into their current platforms.

PS3 features, store, and content are stuck on that platform. Ten years of foundation building down the drain.

Same with the 360.

Games rendering at native 4k? That would be closer to a PS6 than a PS4.5.
I can see a new iteration happen but 4k? Pure BS.

Even then, you can bet devs would said "fuck it, I'm making a 1080p - 1440p game that looks like a tech demo" before going for actual 4k that barely no one has in their homes yet. Or I'm making a game that looks like The Order but runs great on PSVR at its resolution before a 4k game.

OneUh8

Lots of news dropping these past couple days. Not sure how I feel about this, but as long as their is an upgrade path for owners of either console (If both MS and Sony are doing this) then I will be okay with it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I personally think all of this is fine. As long as the length in between new console versions doesn't get abusive, I'll be glad to see a more rapid evolution of tech.

i don't quite get the anger about this either. if fall 2016, then that is 4 years since ps4. if they wait another4 for the console after that (where maybe you'd drop ps4 support), that is 8 years since ps4 which is longer than previous generations.

people want BC, this would give you BC.

people that just bought a PS4? you aren't being expected to buy a ps4.5, that is aimed more at people that jumped in 2013. you can wait 4-5 years just like you would normally and maybe get the model after this one.

Lingitiz

I hope this isn't true. Theres no need for this.

Considering how underpowered the hardware currently is and there may be a desire to have the system with VR components built in...there kinda is. Granted the system is doing well financially so the push is not needed. But from a technical standpoint there is totally reasoning to iterate fast.

Lmao, kinda hard to be a fanboy with these companies pulling the same moves, huh?

That would signify the death of consoles as we know them. Why would a company fragment its own market, especially that it has sold close to 40 million consoles already? What benefit would it bring to its already established consumers' base? Why would a model that suits phones, which are considered a necessity in today's world, be adapted to a sector that has gained so much from being stable and standardized?

I call bullshit on this article...

The upcoming end of moores law makes this shift less dramatic man

Nabbis

Seeing how consoles are already crippling under new games compared to the PC I'm happy this is happening.

I don't get this. Multiplat development is made with consoles as the baseline. Not having capabilities to scale graphical settings is not "being crippled", there is no fundamental gameplay design difference between these two platforms.

Rad-

Aww yiss. With this rumor and the similar direction MS is heading, console gaming is starting to get interesting to me again. This gen has been such a bore and last gen was 2-3 years too long.

Phu

Banned
I don't even need better hardware yet, I'm still waiting on enough good games for systems that are already out.

If this theoretical PS4.5 has no exclusive software, runs existing games at higher frame rates and Resolutions and can also run all PSVR games at a native 120fps. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Hell if it's reasonably priced I'd upgrade myself.

Plainly every PS4 game would run on all PS4s, just better on PS4K. Otherwise it's a generational divide and may as well be called PS5. That's the only way I can make sense of all this.

Generations won't exist anymore. I'm sure they will start naming the OS instead like android and you will get games that only run on that os/latest build of the hardware.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The only word I have is "wow".

First Microsoft talk of incremental upgrades and now Sony apparently have.

If this is where consoles are headed I'm just gonna sell my Xbox and put the money towards upgrading my PC some more.

Technically I think Sony talked about it first. Its just the MS article got more attention.

There is absolutely no reason for "Only Playable on PS4.5" unless the dev hates money. Those that upgrade will be niche.

Yea...I cant see that either. Then again cross gen games is still a thing so maybe it still will be a thing. The generations as we know it are about to disappear.

And cross gen with PS4 and PS 4.5 wont be on the same level as PS3 and PS4

If this theoretical PS4.5 has no exclusive software, runs existing games at higher frame rates and Resolutions and can also run all PSVR games at a native 120fps. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Hell if it's reasonably priced I'd upgrade myself.

It will be exactly this

Portugeezer

TBH I don't care about 4K, so if this is a thing it wouldn't bother me.

Now if games have better performance or graphics (besides resolution) then I would be pissed. Just wait for PS5 or fuck off, but a PS4 which could run the same games but at native 4K wouldn't be so bad.

Either way, I don't believe this to be true until I see it.

Let's all thank the switch to x86, everyone.

This was bound to happen. Even a completely "independent" PS5 would (should) be completely backwards compatible with PS4 due to the architecture. They might as well have a release in between that allows whoever prefers it to play at higher resolution/framerate while still being compatible with the OG PS4 *shrug*

More frequent hardware releases work in the phone, tablet, computer, and gaming hardware market, no reason it couldn't work here. Better for everyone too as gaming technology (graphics, etc.) doesn't get held back because of weak hardware having to be stretched over 7 year periods.

platina

DvXt7k.jpg

Lingitiz

C'mon guys, this is bullshit.

Klepek along with the two other corroborating journalists at Kotaku have nearly spotless track records. If this was some bullshit media outlet from nowhere reporting this I wouldn't believe it. I doubt he'd report this unless he felt like it was for real.

Top Bottom