• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
If the machine is completely backward compatible, I don't get what the fuss is all about, outside of people being mad they can't afford the upgrade path.

If games are developed to scale between both, everyone wins.

If it's just to render or even just scale at 4K with no other differences to a game's version the existing PS4 l would be ok with it. That's mostly for 4K early adopters and gives Sony something to market the PS4.

Anything else makes me feel cheated as an early adopter. Previous sony consoles got more efficient over time but they actually lost features in newer models and not the opposite.

jelly

End of the year, is there even tech coming that would give a leap and be price competitive?

The gen that never was....

I wonder if they come under 100w, would they be powered by USB Type C?

It Sony really wanted to do this upgrade why not just build a PS4 that's capable of running 1080p 60fps? 4K TVs aren't even main stream in 2016. By the time the actual PS5 comes out 4K may be main stream.

I agree, but I think it would be smarter for Sony to sell three options:

Standard PS4 (1080p 30fps) - $300
Premium PS4 (1080p, 60fps, improved image quality) - $400-450
4K PS4 (4K 30fps) - $500-600

4k gaming? lol.....that would be really expensive for the console market right now. I'll abandon the console space and upgrade my PC if this is true.

You are right, it will currently cost PC users at least $1200 (probably closer to $1500us) to game at 4K 30fps for current AAA games. It won't be cheap for Sony to sell a 4K PS4. Having said that though, 4K is surely getting cheaper. Nvidia may be releasing an affordable mid-range 4K card at the end of the year that could be half the cost of current 4K cards (Pascal mid-range could be 300-350, compared to 650 for a GTX 980 ti).

This means, in my opinion, that perhaps it could be possible for Sony to sell a 4K capable PS4 for $500 a couple years if they play thier cards right, cut the right corners, and work the right deals.

Hawk269

It's possible that my story is wrong, but then my sources are wrong, too. I specifically asked about a new GPU, and they said it's not just upscaling: it's a new GPU.

My gut tells me we're looking at Sony being able to brag about 4K, even if lots of games don't use it. (I'll take 1080p/60fps, thanks!) You know, like using a Vita as a second monitor, 3D games, and PS3 releases at 1080p.

Did your sources say anything about the CPU. Since both the Xbox One and PS4 have the CPU and GPU on the same die, I would think that if they are upping the GPU that a beefed up CPU would also be in the cards? CPU's in both consoles are really poor and one of the reasons games don't run as good as they can.

I agree with the bragging. It is in Sony's DNA to do this. They did it with the PS2 and DVD Playback, they did it with the PS3 and Blu Ray playback. What to stop them from adding in HDMI 2.0 and a 4k Blu Ray drive allowing Blu Rays in 4k? By adding a stronger GPU and possibly CPU, they can also have better looking games, albeit not in 4k better, but perhaps games in 1080p/60fps more consistently with better effects and image quality.

Developers do this now with many games. I can take a 4 year old game on my PC that was designed to be played at 1080p and run it at 4k on my rig without issues. Many games are designed to scale, I would not see a developer having a hard time making a PS4 game where if it detects a standard PS4 game is 900p/1080p/30fps. If it detects a PS4k system it runs at 1080p/60fps/better AA, Better shadows etc.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
If the machine is completely backward compatible, I don't get what the fuss is all about, outside of people being mad they can't afford the upgrade path.

If games are developed to scale between both, everyone wins.

Sometimes I think people are incapable of enjoying thing if they know that another persons thing is slightly better.

They call it, "keeping up with the Jones'".

If they do this there probably won't be a PS5. Just PlayStation 2017, PlayStation 2019, etc. Iterative updates to the PlayStation platform.

If you want, buy every other one (or every third one!) and it's just like a console generation.

I would actually be fine with this. No big PS5 down the road, just the current year model.

Damn near every launch PS4 game was on PS3 (though PS3 couldn't handle Knack), and that would be the landscape for perpetuity.

Wouldn't it be possible for pubs to release just the "PlayStation" sku of a game that runs on all the hardware and just scales to what ever console you're playing on? Pubs will support the original PS4 install base for 3-4 more years at least.

Shame that consoles are heading towards the mobile phones way of releasing their new shit. It's why I never buy a new phone unless mine drops dead or nothing works on it anymore. Really not a fan of incremental upgrades but if this is the way of the future of video games then what can I do? Especially since most seem to be ecstatic about it.

Oh so when people been talking about a Xbox One Pro (aka me) and the updated ways of hardware with consoles...some people "laughed". I hope it's true for all consoles. No need to keep these generations that long. This is exactly what a bunch of people speculated (just on the MS side based off of Phil's comments).

Yeah, it's hard to know what posts to attribute to whom (and pointless), but at a glance it does seem as though when MS was rumored to take this approach, many cried foul, but when Sony did it, it's suddenly a brilliant idea.

For the record, I'm ok with both companies doing it.

Will it have a better UI and run all the types of media the PS3 can at launch?

I know I sure as hell won't be an early adopter this time seeing as how it took almost a year for me to have enough software I was interested in to play my PS4 regularly.

ExVicis

I...I don't know Sony. I don't have your back on this. I think if this is what it is I'm out. I'm out Sony. You can do this but you're not doing it with me on-board. I don't have this kinda money or the effort within me to do this.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Do not like the sound of this. But I don't wanna overreact to it just yet. Need more information before I go into rage mode.

Blanquito

I agree that it feels weird right now, but it makes sense with the rest of tech upgrades.

That said, when I talked to devs who weren't aware of it, they just sighed.

The devs who have been briefed by Sony, do they sound excited for it? Or do they share the same outlook as those who haven't been briefed e.g. "sigh"?

If they're excited, I wonder if there's additional details that we don't know that would make a dev be ok for the idea?

Everyone needs to calm the fuck down, lol.
o3bVvx.gif

ZOONAMI

So is this basically going to be the PS4 'slim'?

I honestly don't know how they are going to release anything slimmer than the ps4, especially if we're talking about beefier gpu here which typically would mean more wattage and more heat.

PS4K may very well be the actually name, has a good ring to it, market it it the the high end segment and also has 4k blu ray support. Samsung is selling a stand alone Bluray player from $399. Sony very well might release this at $599.

Sarek

This is stupid. I already have a PC that requires updates every few years. But what do I know, I'm just a 32 year old male, tech savvy, early adopter, with higher than average disposable income.

sigh

Feel the same. For me one of the biggest advantages of consoles was that you didn't need to upgrade every few years. Also I have hard time believing this 4k talk when PS4 struggles even with 1080p/60fps.

SeanTSC

end of the year

Whelp, I guess I was wrong in my initial impression then. In that case, I think a lot of this has been misinterpreted about it being an actual substantial hardware upgrade for 4k gaming and it's more likely just a hardware revision for HDMI 2.0+ and 4k output if it's coming out in 2016.

What if it's just a pure luxury item not targeted at mainstream that costs a grand and just plays PS4 games at 4K and PSVR games at a native 120hz?

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
The devs who have been briefed by Sony, do they sound excited for it? Or do they share the same outlook as those who haven't been briefed e.g. "sigh"?

If they're excited, I wonder if there's additional details that we don't know that would make a dev be ok for the idea?

A mixture of confusion and "well, this is how other tech works." I don't know that there's enough information to understand what this means quite yet. It's a huge shift. Between this and VR, things are weird.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Whelp, I guess I was wrong in my initial impression then. In that case, I think a lot of this has been misinterpreted about it being an actual substantial hardware upgrade for 4k gaming and it's more likely just a hardware revision for HDMI 2.0+ and 4k output if it's coming out in 2016.

Jeff_Rigby redeamed?

Top Bottom