• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You never "have to" fork out money for a product. The option is always there to apply a little self-discipline and upgrade less often. That same life skill will come in really handy elsewhere, trust me.

This is a little condescending. You're making judgements about my purchasing habits and offering me life advice apropos of nothing.

I've had a PS4 for - more or less - 6 months and I feel like this news somewhat undermines my purchase. If I had known that a newer, more powerful machine was going to be available so soon, I would have applied some "really handy" "self-discipline" and waited, much like I did before when I waited to jump gens until some decent games were out.

This is a little condescending. You're making judgements about my purchasing habits and offering me life advice apropos of nothing.

I've had a PS4 for - more or less - 6 months and I feel like this news somewhat undermines my purchase. If I had known that a newer, more powerful machine was going to be available so soon, I would have applied some "really handy" "self-discipline" and waited, much like I did before when I waited to jump gens until some decent games were out.

My and other's sentiments exactly.

Over at Semiaccurate in 2013 an article was predicting Sony might have iterations on the PS4. Sony takes a radically different approach to the PS4 lifecycle

My post in 2013:

1) Notice the design of the PS4 lends it'self to a easy refresh/upgrade. The AMD APU is separate from the Custom second chip which contains the ARM IP, TEE level DRM, IPTV, HDMI 2 and secure boot....This allows a stripped down simple to upgrade AMD GAME APU while the really important stuff, from Sony's viewpoint (UI and social media support, TV RVU, IPTV and 4K media support), is in the second custom chip and it doesn't need to change.

2) Sony appears to be trying to make PS4 to PC GAME porting easier by not using custom anything, relying more on HSA GPGPU than custom hardware accelerators.....Is this for PS4 to PC porting or PS4 to PS4.1 and PS4.2 transitions.

breakdown.png
A major reason for moving the ARM IP from the APU to Southbridge with it's own 256MB of DDR3 was to be able to use GDDR5. Microsoft's XB1 can not use GDDR5 because it would not allow legal Standby power modes. The design also can't use GDDR5X while the PS4 can. This may be why: "There'll be no Xbox One.5 from us,' says Phil Spencer." Microsoft with HBM can support low power standby and high performance games and I think they will wait for that.

A PS5 using HBM can move the ARM IP back into the APU and Southbridge will be a part of the SoC rather than separate. At this point I don't see a need for a semi-CUSTOM chip and the XB2 and PS5 would be using generic parts maybe identical.

As far as a PS4.5 is concerned I am still of two minds, it's possible but I see Sony using efficiencies to reduce the TDP and cost rather than increase performance. Given Microsoft not releasing a XB1.5 I think the latter is more likely. Firmware updating Southbridge and allowing APPs and Games to have access via APIs is going to decrease the size of apps, make them more secure and allow HEVC as well as video chat. Games can use APIs for openVX, Audio and post processing rather than GPU cycles.

Bgamer90

Banned
Once Xbox One becomes fully a Windows 10 device with the Windows store it will support OR in some way I guess but at the same time with MS moving away from Xbox games to UWP games it would mean that the games could also be made to run on Hololens & other Windows devices including other VR/MR headsets.

Other words they don't have to make a VR set for Xbox One they can just add the support for other VR sets to UWP & UWA.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same -- well, not for Xbox One but for the future Xbox console(s).

Not really interested in VR but that much compatibility would be pretty cool.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Over at Semiaccurate in 2013 an article was predicting Sony might have iterations on the PS4. Sony takes a radically different approach to the PS4 lifecycle

My post in 2013:

A major reason for moving the ARM IP from the APU to Southbridge with it's own 256MB of DDR3 was to be able to use GDDR5. Microsoft's XB1 can not use GDDR5 because it would not allow legal Standby power modes. The design also can't use GDDR5X while the PS4 can. This may be why: "There'll be no Xbox One.5 from us,' says Phil Spencer." Microsoft with HBM can support low power standby and high performance games and I think they will wait for that.

A PS5 using HBM can move the ARM IP back into the APU and Southbridge will be a part of the SoC rather than separate. At this point I don't see a need for a semi-CUSTOM chip and the XB2 and PS5 would be using generic parts maybe identical.

As far as a PS4.5 is concerned I am still of two minds, it's possible but I see Sony using efficiencies to reduce the TDP and cost rather than increase performance. Given Microsoft not releasing a XB1.5 I think the latter is more likely. Firmware updating Southbridge and allowing APPs and Games to have access via APIs is going to decrease the size of apps, make them more secure and allow HEVC as well as video chat. Games can use APIs for openVX, Audio and post processing rather than GPU cycles.

This makes way more sense now after reading this.

Still love seeing the gamer's champion words, as if they are doing them a personal favor, when it is really due to their technical decisions with the Xbox One to begin with.

Top Bottom