• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Sources: Destiny 2 coming to PC [UPDATE: Loads of extra info]

benzopil

They made old weapons and gear irrelevant with each expansion. I'm fully expecting to not be able to bring anything over. Or I will and my end-game exotics from Destiny 1 will just be outclassed by some weapon I pick up immediately, or will require some sort of material grind to upgrade. Wouldn't mind a totally fresh start.

In RoI people use their TTK weapons and armor without any problems.

Gator86

I'm still holding hope for some Dev thing or teaser at PSX........Since TTK, Destiny has been a fantastic experience.

This could easily work.....bounties are more near the locations and are picked up at towns along the way. You come back turn quests in and move on. Sometimes you have to visit old places you already traveled too and yadada. It really sounds like they want to make it feel like more of an mmo then ever before. Which for the gameplay it has is fucking awesome.

I'm hoping, friend. The gameplay has always been stellar with the rest of the game some level of cobbled together mess. Once again, D2 sounds like what I thought D1 would be. I hope they deliver this time. D1 is still my biggest disappointment in gaming overall.

Dargor

As someone who played Destiny on both consoles, it was definitely a bit disheartening to know the main console I played on didn't have all the content. I like your perfect world, but I don't think Activision would pass up the opportunity to align with one side or the other.

Past and recent history suggests that Activision is all-in with Sony right now, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that continue. As a long-time Bungie fan and someone who uses Xbox for online games, I'd just personally like to see Xbox fans get something special this time around.

As a guy that played exclusively on the ps4, I hope that this time around, Bungie/Activision stay away from any sort of deal.

I personally don't think that two wrongs makes a right.

I think the Sony/Activision deal on Destiny covered the entirety of the franchise. Andrew House called it a long term partnership.

That's what I thought inititally, but I think that rumor spread when people were talking about Destiny as a 10-year game akin to WoW. If Sony convinced Activision to give them marketing for the franchise indefinitely, that's a huge get on Sony's part.

I'm guessing Destiny 2 starts with The Darkness attacking the tower, the traveler runs away, and our guardian ends up on some unknown planet far away.

Blam

There is concept art of this out there but they were supposedly scrapped ideas. I'm going to see if i can find it.

EDIT: found
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...t-leaks-alleged-destiny-2-concept-boards.aspx
Destiny2_5F00_6.jpg

Destiny2_5F00_5.jpg

Destiny2_5F00_4.jpg

Destiny2_5F00_3.jpg

Destiny2_5F00_2.jpg

Uh from what I remember that wasn't a concept board those were stills posted on his site, and on his behance.

Played a bit of the first one on Xbox and didn't like it. Might check it out if it reviews well on PC though. Although I thought I was done with MMO's!

If destiny 2 comes out on PC I may just sell my consoles. Destiny 1 was all I played for almost a year.

I'm totally with you unless that means I can't play with all the great people I have met playing Destiny on PS4. I am sure Sony knows this, but I would have a hard time leaving the console if I couldn't have access to the 20 or so folks I play with in my Clan.

I hope there is a solution for this.

Gator86

Bungie have had three opportunities to make a great Destiny 1. I don't know what makes people think that Destiny v.4 will be any better.

Enh, once 1 was out, their hands were kind of tied. They could only do so much with the engine and framework they had, especially lugging around last gen consoles. I'll be first in line to criticize Bungie for D1's mistakes, but I'm not sure they've had 3 full chances. Even something like ROI, which is a big step back, isn't necessarily indicative of where Bungie is now because it was made with the least effort possible so people could focus on 2.

elohel

Hopefully we'll able to import the character and class. Not the gear, not the level or the abilities, all I want is the most threadbare continuity with my old avatar. Ax chop all the rest of that shit. Deliver on the vision of Destiny we were promised in 2013.

what was the promise again? genuinely asking cuz I'm like the only person on the planet that avoided destiny hype talk

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Hopefully we'll able to import the character and class. Not the gear, not the level or the abilities, all I want is the most threadbare continuity with my old avatar. Ax chop all the rest of that shit. Deliver on the vision of Destiny we were promised in 2013.

Said this and was met with much resistance and condescension.

Be wary, Guardian

But what if, like Diablo 2, the sequel has an all new set of classes? What if the vision for the sequel involves such a major shake-up to the game universe that we would be playing whole new breeds of Guardians? Is that possibility just totally off of the table for folks who feel strongly about wanting to continue with the same character?

I just can't be in favor of something that places a strict limit on the possibilities for the next game. It's a sequel, not an expansion. Everything should be on the table.

Are we expecting a september release date or later? Is D2 still 2017?

That would throw a lot of the lore out of the window. Titans, Hunters and Warlocks are embedded into the lore/Destiny universe. New subclasses make sense... A complete set of new classes? not so much

I wouldn't mind new classes being introduced as a result of some event ingame

duhmetree

But what if, like Diablo 2, the sequel has an all new set of classes? What if the vision for the sequel involves such a major shake-up to the game universe that we would be playing whole new breeds of Guardians? Is that possibility just totally off of the table for folks who feel strongly about wanting to continue with the same character?

I just can't be in favor of something that places a strict limit on the possibilities for the next game. It's a sequel, not an expansion. Everything should be on the table.

That would throw a lot of the lore out of the window. Titans, Hunters and Warlocks are embedded into the lore/Destiny universe. New subclasses make sense... A complete set of new classes? not so much

I love destiny and I say burn the tower down. You wake up at night and escape with just your pajamas. The vault, postmaster, and gear gone. Even the gally you keep under your bed.

Am_I_Evil

what would be nice is if you're playing a certain race and you're getting a mission or something from said race that that's acknowledged somehow (or just small differences in the way people treat/talk to you to differentiate playing different races story wise)

it was kind of weird playing as an Awoken and then when you start doing the Queen missions and stuff it's never acknowledged that you are one of their people...

Kibbles

Cool, I'll check it out. I can't stand 30fps fp games anymore so I never bought Destiny 1 but I'll definitely this out on PC

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Gonna have to disagree with this pretty strongly. It seems incredibly easy to me for Bungie to be able to write some event happening that impacts either the traveler itself or how guardians connect to it/the light that would result in new powers manifesting in the form of new classes. The base-level lore around the Traveler and the light is still bare/open enough that they could take it in just about any direction without actually contradicting anything that already exists.

Cheezus

I guess I'm not big into character customization because I'm not really going to miss my characters from Destiny 1 if they start from scratch. I'm really excited about all of the things I'm hearing about this, it sounds like Bungie have learned from their mistakes with the original release and making a more substantial, more interesting game.

Keep the originals gameplay and add interesting story, less loading times, more frequent updates, and more variety and you'll have one amazing FPS

Bold One

I love destiny and I say burn the tower down. You wake up at night and escape with just your pajamas. The vault, postmaster, and gear gone. Even the gally you keep under your bed.

I don't think Guardians sleep, although, the thought of my Female titan in her jammies has me rather confused.

The Tower is clearly a military installation (with no canteen) with guns at the ready, it would have to be a devastating attack. Watching Rahool bite it would be grand, I've only known Tyra Karn a few hours and she's infinitely more likeable.

The Hobo

it was kind of weird playing as an Awoken and then when you start doing the Queen missions and stuff it's never acknowledged that you are one of their people...

Earth Awoken are shunned by the Reef Awoken, if I remember right. The Queen doesn't acknowledge you as one of her people.

Gator86

No one knows the lore outside of a few people who took the time to read it online. It would be absurd for Bungie to tie their hands over something so trivial. Even in that case, they could easily just keep the names and dramatically differentiate and evolve the classes into new, more interesting classes.

Bold One

Its in the lore that the Queen is rather uppity about Earth-Awoken,

but the entire scene with my Awoken character was like

36212_original.jpg

They'll show Sparrow Racing League Season 2. I don't think we should expect Destiny 2.

I don't think we should expect it, but if it is shown before the end of the year, it makes sense for that to be the place. Plus E3 seems like too close to release to reveal it if it is as major an overhaul as it seems. You want a whole lot of lead time to send the message of "this is not Destiny 1 and it is not just an expansion".

duhmetree

I have never been as hyped for a game a I am for Destiny 2.

having to wait until September 2017 will be excruciating.. having to deal with another Y2 scenario will be just as bad. This content drought might actually be worse than Y2.

FelipeMGM

Yup, if it's releasing next year then it should be shown at PSX E3 2017 would be what 2 months away from release? That's too close imo.

Not really. They can reveal prior to E3 with a trailer or a livestream and then do a big blowout at E3 and Gamescom. Thats what Call Of Duty been doing.

Not sure they will be able to hit september anyway, Im sure they will try

duhmetree

No one knows the lore outside of a few people who took the time to read it online. It would be absurd for Bungie to tie their hands over something so trivial. Even in that case, they could easily just keep the names and dramatically differentiate and evolve the classes into new, more interesting classes.

yeah... that's not changing classes but making new sub-classes.

duhmetree

Not really. They can reveal prior to E3 with a trailer or a livestream and then do a big blowout at E3 and Gamescom. Thats what Call Of Duty been doing.

I cannot comprehend this. I know programming isn't child's play but they have a small army working on this game.. with multiple studios chipping in..

I'm fine with starting fresh in Destiny 2 and not importing my D1 characters if Bungie continues to support Destiny 1 for years to come.

Call of Duty is established. It sells every year. You basically know what you are getting within reason when expecting a CoD game. With Destiny 2, the whole idea seems to be a complete revamp. I would think you would want as much lead time as possible to bang into the heads of the public that this is not Destiny 1 and there are many, many changes being made.

Top Bottom