• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku UK Rumor: Xbox One, Windows 10, Halo 5, & Minecraft notably below expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zophar

Didn't it also just double it sales since they bought it? There was some flakey PR about it the other day.

Possibly, but they comedically over-valued Minecraft in that purchase. It was pulling in something like around $200 million annual revenue at Mojang's peak - this is a deal that could take a decade or more to see an ROI on.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Good that we recently got the Scorpio stuff, even though not yet official because otherwise you'd almost think MS was gonna quit Xbox.

Probably a bit hyperbole.....

It's too bad because I really enjoy my Xbox One. I find it a great system, many cool features, it's just that they didn't have power in mind back then. Which is unfortunate.

If people think more power is going to reverse all their fortunes in one fell swoop, they are delusional though. That was never the sole issue why Xbox One faltered sales-wise, it's a whole host of separate factors that contributed to that fact.

The only way it's going to improve upon the current situation is if they do something highly disruptive and extremely consumer friendly, while not fucking up on price or message.

It's a very tall order.

If they have the best performing console at a good price + continue doing what they're doing it will eventually turn around. May take a few years like w/ Sony.

Fuchsdh

If people think more power is going to reverse all their fortunes in one fell swoop, they are delusional though. That was never the sole issue why Xbox One faltered sales-wise, it's a whole host of separate factors that contributed to that fact.

True, but there's no accounting for how much damage the initial fumbles with always-on PR disasters and then a more expensive, weaker box with the peripheral the hardcore gamers weren't all that enamored with did. Starting fresh and blowing whatever Sony has out of the water graphics-wise is a much stronger starting position.

This just makes me believe there's no way MS can afford to not talk about Scorpio at E3. Are they really going to just completely ignore it while Sony talks about Neo??

I personally disagree. I don't mind it in regards to weapon balance, but I 100% feel that the maps feel too sterile and suffered because of it.

Look at the Pit in Halo 3, it's aesthetically a very bland and boring map and it's design matches the philosophy of maps in Halo 5. It's a very straightforward symmetric map. It happens to be the most popular maps in Halo 3. It gets away with the boring aesthetics because it's one of the few industrial/bland human maps. While Halo 5 has many human industrial maps. Yet, maps like Truth, Fathom, Coliseum, Stasis, Eden, etc are all well designed. Its shortcoming are due to aesthetic variety, but the actual design and layout are for the most part fine. The assymmetic maps can be bad (Overgrowth, Riptide) far too many hallways, but those are just two bad maps compared to quite a few in 3, and Reach's entire map pool...

maeh2k

It's a month old graph from Hexus but considering win 10 has been free for a year I wasn't that impressed. Win8 and 8.1 nearly match win10.

SAI7XrU.jpg

OS upgrades have never played a huge role in OS market share on PCs. The new OS is usually sold with a new PC.

Regardless, a graphically intensive video game is not targeted at all PC users --- it's made for gamers. The adoption of Windows 10 among gamers is far beyond what the global adoption rate might suggest. It has recently passed Windows 7 on Steam: http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/01/windows-10-adoption-passes-windows-7-on-steam/. ~40% of Steam users is nothing to scoff at.

Trogdor1123

If they have the best performing console at a good price + continue doing what they're doing it will eventually turn around. May take a few years like w/ Sony.
But they don't have the best console, what they are doing isn't being accepted by the market, and its not turning around... price isn't better either. Good luck to them I guess.

Well if the rumors are true the new Xbox will be more powerful than Neo so that's already a 1-up for MS.

More power is not going to turn the tide for MS, expecially if they are launching later which the rumours suggest. Europe and Worldwide it won't make a difference. Power is not MS biggest issue. More power <> better product either.

Unknown?

They're going to have to do more than just doing what they're doing. They need games! Every year it has been a wasteland until a few exclusives at the end of the year. Plus Sony is getting a ton more support from PC devs. Games that typically are PC are getting simultaneous releases on PS4 more than XO.

J_Viper

The problem is that rumors says they will be a year late.

In terms of sales Year head start > More powerful machine.

It's crazy how MS is letting Sony best them to market for a second time. I can't imagine how they spring back after giving the PS4Keanu a whole year all to itself.

Scorpio should have been targeted for this year, not a damn slim model

The problem is that rumors says they will be a year late.

In terms of sales Year head start > More powerful machine.

The rumors point to a Spring 2017 release, only one points to fall 2017 IIRC.

And there were rumors about Ms going to refresh all their device lineup in spring 2017 even before they started talking about scorpio.

DesertFox

Yeah, their terrible messaging and initial attitude towards the complaints (we have a product for people without Internet, the Xbox 360. smh) are more likely why the Xbox One is doing poorly. I don't think the average consumer cares much about 900p vs 1080p, or let alone point out the difference with any degree of accuracy.

But they do care about lacking features, or consumer-unfriendly product requirements.

MS needs to distance itself from the Xbox One brand, for the health of the product going forward.

Sydle

It's crazy how MS is letting Sony best them to market for a second time. I can't imagine how they spring back after giving the PS4Keanu a whole year all to itself.

Not sure how they could have made that work if the rumored Oculus Rift compatibility is true. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that kind of power is available just yet in console form, but might be next year.

Ah, that's interesting. Thanks for the link!

You are welcome!

Not to say that they migh be behind targets (though that's hard to imagine with those sales), but at least they said they never expected to recover the whole 2.5 billion in a short amount of time.

DieH@rd

Banned
I can believe Windows 10 STORE as being a gigantic miss.

When I installed Win10, I fired up store so that I could download Minesweeper [it is not part of a standard win installation ~_~]. After several failed attempts and two restarts, I finally managed to get the game to freaking download... only to find out that they turned traditional Minesweeper into over-produced piece of garbage. I never started windows store again, and I don't have a need to do so ever again.

[to everyone who wants to play traditional minesweeper on win10, download WinmineXP].

J_Viper

Not sure how they could have made that work if the rumored Oculus Rift compatibility is true. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that kind of power is available just yet in console form, but might be next year.
I guess the question then is if VR support is really worth being late to the market.

What if PSVR were to crash and burn? MS would end up waiting a year for an accessory the casual audience couldn't care less about.

Not much they could do. The plan to support iterative consoles comes from uwp being used for games. Uwp in it's current state will be limited on xbone, you can't use all the features.

They will fix that by Redstone 2 update for windows 10, but the update itself got delayed to spring 2017, as opposed to this fall as was expected.

Sony doesn't have this issue because they are keeping the same development platform with neo. It allows them to counter measure Scorpio and buys them time to create a device agnostic platform on their own.

dalin80

Banned
They forced the install of win10 onto peoples computers without consent so they will probably end up doing the same for Fable and claiming it a sales success.

Three

"Microsoft expects the acquisition to be break-even in FY15 on a GAAP basis."
So this was their expectation for Minecraft. Does anybody have a good estimate of whether they reached this goal or not? Sales may be high but minecraft doesn't sell for much. I expect most of their dollars to come from DLC.

They forced the install of win10 onto peoples computers without consent so they will probably end up doing the same for Fable and claiming it a sales success.

Fable has been cancelled. Or was that the joke?

cilonen

In the context of the article I thought it was pretty clear they are talking about the Windows 10 store version of Minecraft.

“The Windows Store is a giant disaster. It’s on fire. 98% of PC copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider, a flagship Windows 10 game, were bought on Steam. The same is true for Minecraft

Sydle

I guess the question then is if VR support is really worth being late to the market.

What if PSVR were to crash and burn? MS would end up waiting a year for an accessory the casual audience couldn't care less about.

That's a great question. There's a bunch of market research suggesting that AR/VR is a big growth market over the next few years, reaching $100+ billion over the next 4 years, but it may not pan out.

In the context of the article I thought it was pretty clear they are talking about the Windows 10 store version of Minecraft.

Good catch. That makes sense.

CoG

I think the Xbox division once Spencer took over has done the best it can to win fans over and try to get dump over the hump that they were in. But the shit hole Mattrick put them in maybe to deep to climb out of.

Winning over the fans is not enough. That's Spencer's shortcoming. He's trying to cater to the hardcore Xbox fans and not the general audience. He doesn't really have much of a vision other than to turn the Xbox One into a PS4 clone which was in turn a 360 clone.

Three

That wasn't the context of the minecraft quote

this is

&#8220;I reckon [Phil Spencer] feels bad about Lionhead, but I think for him, he has to run all of Microsoft Studios as a business,&#8221; they say. &#8220;First-party studios isn&#8217;t doing so well. Halo 5 is a big miss, versus projections. Minecraft is a big miss, versus projections. Compared to either one of those, Lionhead is practically a rounding error. But I think if your division is under-performing, you have to go to your boss with something on the altar.&#8221;

I would say that is an overall projection since it refers to axing studios and mentions Halo 5 which isn't even on the store.

Winning over the fans is not enough. That's Spencer's shortcoming. He's trying to cater to the hardcore Xbox fans and not the general audience. He doesn't really have much of a vision other than to turn the Xbox One into a PS4 clone which was in turn a 360 clone.

Ps4 is not a 360 clone...PS4 has World wide appeal, it really is just sony getting back to not what playstation always has been.

pixelation

They're getting ready for that scorpion sting.
I honestly don't think that the Scorpio will do much better than the XBO, specially if it launches at a higher cost than the PS4K and with those rumored specs its looking pretty likely that it will end up being the most expensive "new" box out of the two.

mcrommert

Banned
250-300m install base still not enough? That's like 8 times PS4 install base.

Calling complete bullshit on this. Sure there are less xbox one's than they wanted...but i don't think by a lot (even ps4's sales has taken playstation by suprise) and on the windows 10 installs...they are almost exactly in line with what they wanted by this point.

This whole rumor is fantasy garbage

Interesting quotes, curious on the source although it reads likely enough.

Halo 5 under performing, Xbox One under performing seem pretty definite.

Windows 10 and Minecraft under performing only really make sense to me in that they mean the adoption/utilization of the Win 10 store by gamers with reasonable hardware is under performing and that sales of Minecraft since MS bought Mojang is not hitting very specific expectations after a $2.5B acquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom