• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's Superannuation: The Elder Scrolls Online has cost $200 million

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's actually amazingly ridiculous that there hasn't been an awesome new Skyrim expansion. It would be so cheap to make compared to this, and would sell really well, and could be ported to next-gen to help the team breakin the next-gen dev a little. Heck, they could release a new super-pack and make a lot of money again.

HariKari

Pricetag wouldn't be so alarming if the game was worthy of it. Doesn't look that way. Hope the parties invested in this don't mind taking a bath on it.

antitrop

It's actually amazingly ridiculous that there hasn't been an awesome new Skyrim expansion. It would be so cheap to make compared to this, and would sell really well, and could be ported to next-gen to help the team breakin the next-gen dev a little. Heck, they could release a new super-pack and make a lot of money again.

PC gamers have been playing free Skyrim expansions for years.

loxosc3les

Neo Member
Wow, that makes me feel very bad for Zenimax. Just, wow. Didn't Skyrim only cost $84M? Without going into detail, I fear that ESO may be the first game to damage the Elder Scrolls brand in a big way. Also, it is a shame they didn't just take 1/2 that and dump it into Fallout 4, a game that is guaranteed to rake in the dough without all the colossal risk of another sub-based MMO....

Biker19

Banned
Major publishers dumping huge amounts of money into MMOs, quite possibly the riskiest genre for profit, just seems like a bad idea every time. They can have high reward but usually the amount of resources going into them is better served just making four other games.

This. Look at what happened to 38 Studios with "Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning."

And other MMORPG's like "Star Wars: The Old Republic." This has disaster written all over it.

syko de4d

a other problem i see for ESO is that i dont think the playerbase on xbox one ar ps4 are big enough at april 2014 to hold a big MMO alive. It will be like 7,5mio PS4 and 5 mio Xbox One at launch and who knows how much console gamers are even interested in a MMO like this.
Servers could die pretty fast there.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
a other problem i see for ESO is that i dont think the playerbase on xbox one ar ps4 are big enough at april 2014 to hold a big MMO alive. It will be like 7,5mio PS4 and 5 mio Xbox One at launch and who knows how much console gamers are even interested in a MMO like this.
Servers could die pretty fast there.

Luckily for them, there are no static servers in the traditional sense. They have some bullshit megaserver (or whatever they're calling it) technology, where you get randomly thrown onto a server. Apparently it takes into consideration who is on your friends list and tries to put you all on the same server when you log in, but you could encounter someone and never see them again after logging out simply because you don't get put in the same server instance as them.

It will definitely help deal with server population declines after launch, but I hate the idea since it will totally kill any kind of server identity or community.

NUMBERS

If they sell 7million (skyrim sold 10 in the first month) units with $45 revenue (consumer paying 60) a pop, they will have made a $115 million profit.

Month two, they make $105 million with no additional work, just on subs.

That's enough.

we-re-up-to-no-good-o.gif

syko de4d

Luckily for them, there are no static servers in the traditional sense. They have some bullshit megaserver (or whatever they're calling it) technology, where you get randomly thrown onto a server. Apparently it takes into consideration who is on your friends list and tries to put you all on the same server when you log in, but you could encounter someone and never see them again after logging out simply because you don't get put in the same server instance as them.

It will definitely help deal with server population declines after launch, but I hate the idea since it will totally kill any kind of server identity or community.

wow, now the game is even worse for me :lol

But maybe it´s a good solution because i dont think there couldn´t be a real server identity or community on a console. With many (edit: or all??) players using a Pad the chat will be dead and Players will rarely visit and use a community website or forum on a console.

Mandoric

Banned
wow, now the game is even worse for me :lol

But maybe it´s a good solution because i dont think there couldn´t be a real server identity or community on a console. With many (edit: or all??) players using a Pad the chat will be dead and Players will rarely visit and use a community website or forum on a console.

Eh, it worked for FF11. If you make group play mandatory from an early level, and don't have a dungeon finder that people can faceroll up to cap with, people will plug in a USB keyboard.

FourMyle

NUMBERS

If they sell 7million (skyrim sold 10 in the first month) units with $45 revenue (consumer paying 60) a pop, they will have made a $115 million profit.

That's enough.

Haha if you think this game is going to sell anywhere near that many.

This. Look at what happened to 38 Studios with "Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning."

And other MMORPG's like "Star Wars: The Old Republic." This has disaster written all over it.

That was Project Copernicus (the MMO) not Reckoning. Reckoning was just a game made by Big Huge Games called Ascension that got turned into KoA:R after 38 bought them. The game was more or less done already all they did was change it over to the Amalur world.

I guess another baseball player is going to get hurt from an MMO in the near future since Cal Ripken Jr. is on the Zenimax board of directors.

NeoGash

Hmmm, if anyone can do it is Bethesda and TES. I hope to god this doesn't fail, as this could impact Fallout and TES6 development which would make me cry.

MMOs aren't my thing, so I'd likely never give this a shot. I have family members who play WoW and while it is fun to watch PvP, the game just looks shit. I played it years ago for maybe a couple hundred hours, which isn't much for an MMO but I don't like it. Just feels like a real cynical shitty game that sucks people dry, plus I don't like Blizzard anymore and Activision are scum IMO.

TES or no, I am not prepared to pay to play a game I paid for. That is just fucked up the monkey-ass, and I will not stand for it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Another mmo I'll play for the duration of the "free" month and then drop (just like Wildstar), I can't help myself :(

A lot of the budget from SWTOR was in the voice acting and I can see why it's cost is so high but as for ESO?? When I tried the beta for this game, it was 100% generic mmo with a skyrim skin and the world was looking not as good as ones you find in the single player game...

Good luck but I think this is going to flop hard from what I've seen. This is one of those games where dev time took too long during the highs of MMO ($$$ in their eyes) and now no one gives a shit.

PC gamers have been playing free Skyrim expansions for years.

And you think that means they wouldn't pay for a new DLC expansion, for some reason?

Companies are going to give up on this MMO dream at some point right? RIGHT?

At this point everyone already gave up on it, they just haven't finished shitting out all the stuff they already started working on beforehand.

antitrop

And you think that means they wouldn't pay for a new DLC expansion, for some reason?

I wasn't implying anything, my post was kind of pointless. :p

I guess I was just trying to say like "Hey, if you want more Skyrim content, there's as much as you can possibly want out there already!".

Zarx

NUMBERS

That's enough.

Guild Wars 2 is apparently the fastest selling MMO (that you have to buy to get into) with 3 million copies in 9 months. And that had far more hype and no monthly sub.

TES Online would be lucky to match that (3 SKUs gives it a chance), and the best case scenario is that a third of the people pay for sub after the first free month.

Darksol

$200 million dollars. That could buy a lot of horse armour.

I'm a fan of the series, but don't see myself biting on this.

Fezan

Aren't all MMO pretty expensive like in 100 of millions. And still the model is sustainable. Look at SOE. They had to cancel The Agency after spending more than 80 million. Dont quote me on this

NeoGash

XBL Gamertag:
ScrotoBaggins22

Presumably within the next few months,
PS Network User ID:
QuanticDrake

LOL I won't be paying a monthly fee for one game. Happy? The cost of entry for a good PC is too high, so is the cost of a PS4 or XB1 at the moment IMO. I do love TES though, so if it offers something truly remarkable (extremely unlikely, I don't like MMOs) then it isn't for me.

(For what it's worth, I don't subscribe to PS+ and I have not paid for XBL Gold in a couple of years. I still have a couple 12 month gold codes I won from a competition that are on my phone....which broke the other day......so when I get the LCD display fixed, I will have 2 more years of gold)

This has "Greatest disaster of the year" potential written all over it.

I'm thinking disaster of the decade. 200 million? I do not particularly care for MMO's mostly because of online only, subscription fees, etc, but is 200 million normal for an MMO? Imo, they were better off with a legitimate ES6 instead.

ramuh

From what I understand the Zenimak Team that build this 200 M Dollar MMO is a seperate team for Bethesda. Of, course using assets, names, location for the ES world. I didn't experience anything more that a bland antother attempt at this genre. I hope they keep subs past 1 month.

Wiktor

MMOs are the most expensive games to make and they're also trying to launch it on multiple platform.

I wonder how much Wild Star is costing. Looks great, but I get the feeling they're much more rational budget wise and won't need millions of subs to stay afloat.

Yamauchi

Banned
I may be a fool (well, I am a fool, but that's beside the point), but I think this game will be a success.

It reminds me of Shadowbane which has/had a dedicated cult following, but this title will have a much larger initial player base.

ramuh

I hope Zenimak knows what they are doing. I would hate for this ESO game to affect future ES games.

Drake

You would think that a company like Bethesda/Zenimax would have the foresight to know that the subscription MMO model is a dying one. Not only that the MMO market in general has become stale and over saturated. Why they would pour $200 million into an MMO when they could just have kept doing what they were doing and making bank is beyond me.

Top Bottom