• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaro Uchikoshi (999, Virtue's Last Reward) says he's working on "You-Know-What"

Also keep in mind, these are the first week sales for VLR in Japan.

13. (__) [3DS] Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV: Zennin Shibou Death (Chunsoft) - 7,686 / 7,686
-
15. (__) [PSV] Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV: Zennin Shibou Death (Chunsoft) - 6,007 / 6,007

It's safe to say crowdfunding would probably not be coming locally and then you need to build the game with localization costs in mind. Add in the things that they, as game creators, probably don't want to walk back on (like the voice acting) and it starts getting expensive.

I don't think a small development budget is necessarily likely.

GHound

Played 999 and VLR back to back a couple of years ago and have not had quite as good of an experience with any of the games I've played since.

If it happens it happens, but I'll only get my hopes up when it's actually confirmed after all of the disappointing news the franchise has had the past year or so.
My feels can't take anymore false starts.

Durante

Let me preface this by saying that I absolutely love the game.

But if you look at VLR realistically from a production view, it comprises 10 PS2-quality character models, some low-detail 3D environments, a relatively small set of 2D art assets and a lot of voice acting. The strength of the game is the storytelling, and good writing isn't that much of a cost.

I really don't see how you could spend 5 million+ on that without literally throwing money out of the window. Divinity: Original Sin had a budget of around that size, and it's a complex 75 hour coop RPG with hundreds of unique animated character and enemy models, 4 massive overworld maps, dozens of dungeons and hundreds of items and quests.

redhood56

Banned

But if you look at VLR realistically from a production view, it comprises 10 PS2-quality character models, some low-detail 3D environments, a relatively small set of 2D art assets and a lot of voice acting. The strength of the game is the storytelling, and good writing isn't that much of a cost.

I really don't see how you could spend 5 million+ on that without literally throwing money out of the window. Divinity: Original Sin had a budget of around that size, and it's a complex 75 hour coop RPG with hundreds of unique animated character and enemy models, 4 massive overworld maps, dozens of dungeons and hundreds of items and quests.
Did VLR use a custom engine? I am trying to find out if it did, but that would add onto dev cost.

Rektash

Voice acting alone should be quite expensive for a game like VLR. The game had voice acting for two languages and quite a few big names on board for that. Releasing on two platforms probably didn't make the game any cheaper either. While I agree the 5+ million number is probably too high I wouldn't be suprised if it ended up costing quite a bit more than 500k.

VLR had 10 voiced characters, meaning you need to pay 20 voice actors (2 languages) for a couple days (?) and a studio fee. The amout of text directly correlates to how much you spend on voice actors.

Localization cost in general should be noticable as well. Popular VN Kickstarters asked for 100k+ (Clannad) though admittedly that game has more text than VLR.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Original Sin, beeing a PC game, is probably quite a bit cheaper to develop than a Vita/3DS closed platform game.

convo

Voice acting alone should be quite expensive for a game like VLR. The game had voice acting for two languages and quite a few big names on board for that. Releasing on two platforms probably didn't make the game any cheaper either. While I agree the 5+ million number is probably too high I wouldn't be suprised if it ended up costing quite a bit more than 500k.

VLR had 10 voiced characters, meaning you need to pay 20 voice actors (2 languages) for a couple days (?) and a studio fee. The amout of text directly correlates to how much you spend on voice actors.

Localization cost in general should be noticable as well. Popular VN Kickstarters asked for 100k+ (Clannad) though admittedly that game has more text than VLR.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Original Sin, beeing a PC game, is probably quite a bit cheaper to develop than a Vita/3DS closed platform game.

I think the short ova thing they did and the marketing should cost too, did they do those nifty armbands for VLR or 999? Maybe making physical copies contributes too. I was surprised we got them in europe.

cbq

Z8hbhna.gif

It has to be ZE3. There is no other way!

999 is my favourite game of all time. I have to see how the story ends.

grim-tales

I hope that (if this IS ZE3) he can make the game he wants to make, I remember a long time ago Uchikoshi said something that hinted he wanted to combine the horror/tension of 999 with the exploring of VLR.

I just hope it's something more inspired than VLR, which recycled so many ideas from other works (especially Uchikoshi's own past VNs) that it felt really unoriginal.

grim-tales

I just hope it's something more inspired than VLR, which recycled so many ideas from other works (especially Uchikoshi's own past VNs) that it felt really unoriginal.

Yeah I know what you mean, VLR was good but I felt I could guess what was coming at times since
I'd played 999 and then Ever 17

Guys...I can't stop thinking about this thread. This is by far the best news of the whole year - I really do think it's going to get revealed this year.

I can't see it being any other game. It's not like Uchikoshi to troll us. Reading the Zero Escape 3 Wiki (999/VLR spoilers) is giving me a boner!

grim-tales

It's interesting that we haven't heard anything from Uchikoshi. I wonder how long we have to wait till we get more info?

Maybe he wants to wait and until he gets the OK from the suits. I'm friends with him on FB but wouldnt mention that directly to him.
I thought too that that magazine quote about what he wanted from this year is telling "Everything I've built up over the years" implies something he's been working on for a while, and "Be let out into the world in one fell swoop"
possible reference to VLR's ending?

grim-tales

Well, hopefully the Danganronpa team is giving them a hand so they can fix the janky-ass UI.

What does UI mean?
Even if it is ZE3, we need to trust in Uchikoshi that it will be quality and not watered down (comparitively) like VLR. Language and some imagery aside, I didnt find VLR as strong an M/16 game as 999 for some reason.

What does UI mean?
Even if it is ZE3, we need to trust in Uchikoshi that it will be quality and not watered down (comparitively) like VLR. Language and some imagery aside, I didnt find VLR as strong an M/16 game as 999 for some reason.

UI means "User Interface". Menus, inventory screen, settings and such.

About VLR, I didn't find it as scary or grim as 999 either, which I think is a weak point of the game. (VLR spoilers)
Not a single person got killed by betrayal. All murders are either singular stabs or bracelet kills. Way too tame Uchikoshi, way too tame for a game of murder and backstabbing.

However, IIRC that was because the Japanese fans complained about 999 being "too scary" for some reason. Spike Chunsoft listened to them and made VLR the way it is.

That worked out so fucking well for them, didn't it?

Love the Zero Escape series, and really hope this pans out. I even bought the ios version of the game, and love it. But I'm not getting my hopes up until I see the official announcement. Really hope it pans out someday though.

JGLS

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I have been curious about this franchise and I have a few questions:

1 - Do I need to play 999 in order to understand Virtue's story?

2 - I remember people talking about a game-breaking bug in Virtue's on the 3DS, was it ever fixed?

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I have been curious about this franchise and I have a few questions:

Yes
2 - I remember people talking about a game-breaking bug in Virtue's on the 3DS, was it ever fixed?
Nope, it was never fixed.

1- You do not *have* to, but if you don't, you definitely won't get the full experience. Some moments in VLR are mind-blowing if you go in with 999's knowledge, but near meaningless if you go in blind. Also VLR spoils a lot about 999, so keep that in consideration.

2- The Eshop version makes you unable to save in a particular place where the glitch is most common. Not sure about retail version.

grim-tales

UI means "User Interface". Menus, inventory screen, settings and such.

About VLR, I didn't find it as scary or grim as 999 either, which I think is a weak point of the game. (VLR spoilers)
Not a single person got killed by betrayal. All murders are either singular stabs or bracelet kills. Way too tame Uchikoshi, way too tame for a game of murder and backstabbing.

Thank you ^^ I agree the tension and horror is an important part of the game, VLR had a few 'jumpy' (ha) moments but thats it, not as scary as 999, imo.

However, IIRC that was because the Japanese fans complained about 999 being "too scary" for some reason. Spike Chunsoft listened to them and made VLR the way it is.

That worked out so fucking well for them, didn't it?

Who's to say they wont ask him to water it down even further until its a T rated game or something? :x So sad.

Thank you ^^ I agree the tension and horror is an important part of the game, VLR had a few 'jumpy' (ha) moments but thats it, not as scary as 999, imo.

Who's to say they wont ask him to water it down even further until its a T rated game or something? :x So sad.

Well it seems that SC giving two shits is a one-sided feeling compared to the Japanese ZE fans.

I cannot believe how much I enjoyed the storyline of the first two titles.

I love mystery/twister kinds of plotlines and these two were magnificent.

Top Bottom