• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaro Uchikoshi (999, Virtue's Last Reward) says he's working on "You-Know-What"

Rektash

This is great news if it turns out to be true :). My platform of choice would be Vita since the definitive version of VLR is already on there but quite frankly, this is a series I would support on most platforms. 3DS just doesn't lend itself to text heavy games imo. Hell I just finished Bravely Default on my 3DS XL and thought reading a lot of text on that tiny screen was an absolute chore. Admittedly Bravely Default's terrible font was part of the problem though.

Korigama

What was wrong with the 3d models? I quite liked them
They were rather stiff and nowhere near as expressive as the sprites in 999 were, and otherwise just looked awkward (particularly Clover, who looked like she was always smiling with how she was modeled). They were a far cry from the models used for AA5, which was also on 3DS and transitioned much better.

Not done harping on the iOS 999 yet: even escapes from the rooms aren't free from getting cut down (door 8, the scene where
Junpei is wailing about Science Boy after the lab catches fire and Lotus asks him what the hell he's on about while they hurry out with Clover? Completely gone. In fact, the room doesn't even catch fire at all, as Clover does nothing to help them in freeing her from the other side of the room she had been locked behind and subsequently work to help everyone escape, resulting in making her useless there and depriving the player of hijinks all at once.
).

grim-tales

I saw "You Know What" too.
I WANT TO BELIEVE. Then again it might be something else like a remaster of E17 (but that doesnt make sense since he listed E17 among his works..)

Bricky

*Wakes up, browses GAF*

Holy shit.

HOLY SHIT.

image.jpg

Going to try and keep myself from getting to excited before it turns out to be something else entirely, my day is made nonetheless.

You what will help get this funded, porting 999/to Vita. Just saying. :).

Honestly I hope this really is about VLR3 and I hope it releases on something I own.

hao chi

I'm trying my best not to get excited over this (and only somewhat succeeding). I couldn't handle getting hyped for this only for it to turn out he's not working on ZE3.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Kotaro Uchikoshi, the director of the Zero Escape series, has just updated his profile on Facebook with the list of his works:

DMXeMfv.png

https://www.facebook.com/notes/kotaro-uchikoshi/profile/924348697584912

While this doesn't necessarily mean that "You-Know-What" is Zero Escape 3, the majority of the people who are friends with Uchikoshi-san on Facebook are Western fans who constantly show their support for the Zero Escape series. So he may or may not be directly trying to send a message to those people here.

In the past year, Uchikoshi-san has been very active at communicating with his Western fans, especially after the news that Zero Escape 3 was having problems with funding. Recently, he was quoted as saying "It’s looking like 2015 will be the year where everything I’ve built up over the years will come together and be let out into the world in one fell swoop."

So here's hoping!

Warn my past self via the morphogenetic field if old.
Yessssss.

I look forward to another major plot twist hidden right under my nose

BowieZ

Banned
What is the best or likeliest way the final Zero Escape's plot can be arranged? I mean, surely it'll involve some form of Nonary Game, right? Supposedly heavily featuring Phi? I'm not sure how they can get away with doing the exact same thing though; of mostly new naive characters solving puzzles and ultimately one of them figures out the purpose behind it all is to induce morphic time jumping?

It's been a long time since I played either of the first two games, so forgive me if I am not making sense.

73V3N

Banned
What is the best or likeliest way the final Zero Escape's plot can be arranged? I mean, surely it'll involve some form of Nonary Game, right? Supposedly heavily featuring Phi? I'm not sure how they can get away with doing the exact same thing though; of mostly new naive characters solving puzzles and ultimately one of them figures out the purpose behind it all is to induce morphic time jumping?

It's been a long time since I played either of the first two games, so forgive me if I am not making sense.

18 characters

matmanx1

Well, I guess I can give myself permission to actually play and finish VLR. 999 is up there among my favorite game experiences EVER.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Well, I guess I can give myself permission to actually play and finish VLR. 999 is up there among my favorite game experiences EVER.

I like the plot twists, characters, and music in 999 more, but VLR is so much more polished in terms of gameplay and structure.

Best character in the franchise is Seven

it did moderately well in the West, iirc. but it bombed big time in Japan so the pubs were reluctant about a sequel.

From my knowledge, Japanese publishers don't care about WW sales all that much. It seems to me that JPN sales account for like 80% of their decision making even if it's only 50% of their sales.

LiK

From my knowledge, Japanese publishers don't care about WW sales all that much. It seems to me that JPN sales account for like 80% of their decision making even if it's only 50% of their sales.

this is true. they only cared about the domestic market more than the West.

Lusankya

Wasn't this already pretty clear, based on the ending in VLR?

I don't want to post spoilers and don't want to start a black bar festival, but in the end there was a clear goal and it was paired with
some kind of experiment/game on the mars test site.

Camwi

I wonder how the game would do on Kickstarter. The series has a rabid fanbase, but I know it's still a niche series.

It'd do very well. We already have even more niche VNs raising 500k+ on kickstarter.

I think the problem is the game he wants to make is not a 500k+ game.

It's likely a 5 million+ game.

Which, you know, that's fine. It's easy to say "You should just make it for cheaper by paring down these things," but ultimately, if that's not the game he wants to make for the sake of getting the story out there, then what really can any of us say?

I also imagine the failure of the Project Scissors kickstarter is indicating to some Japanese developers that "It will be fine if you just put it out on Steam" is not a magic bullet for killing all production cost-related concerns.

Durante

5 million+? Really?

I'm just guesstimating here obviously, but VLR looks a lot closer to a 500k game than a 5 million+ game.

5 million does sound insane... but possible. Stuff costs a lot these days.

My guess on why this is happening is the success of the DanganRonpa series over here.

5 million+? Really?

I'm just guesstimating here obviously, but VLR looks a lot closer to a 500k game than a 5 million+ game.

I'm spitballing but he's mentioned Kickstarter before and said the idea isn't persuasive enough to get the budget he needs. There's precedence for pretty high kickstarter tallies, including from Japanese games, so it's pretty logical to expect he needs more.

Development could be expensive from a lot of angles, really. They might pay their staff fairly well, there could be opportunity costs from doing a VN in this series versus a VN in a more popular series, etc.

LiK

5 million does sound insane... but possible. Stuff costs a lot these days.

My guess on why this is happening is the success of the DanganRonpa series over here.

hopefully DR1/2 is doing well enough that they take a look at the Western market and give ZE3 a chance.

Top Bottom