• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaro Uchikoshi (999, Virtue's Last Reward) says he's working on "You-Know-What"

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The IOS version is pretty solid. It might actually be the best way to play it for some people, depending on how much the poor pacing and repetition of the DS version would bother you.

Haha, crazy talk. There are a lot more people recommending 999 on the DS over VLR.

Verger

Banned
I loved 999 and how it led you to believe that you were just a pawn in a sick game at the start. Though by the ending that kind of fell flat because everything that happened was all "Part of the plan".

But VLR was a bit too "out there" for me. I mean, they took the idea presented at the end of 999 and just ran with it beyond the realm of absurdity. I also didn't care for the fact that the story was all about "that person" again being at the center of it all.

Zero III was an awesome but sorely underutilized character though.

I dunno how they'll do a third entry and manage to tie all "that" up.

Tagg9

Awwwwwwww yeahhhhhhhh

image.php

AniHawk

I dunno how they'll do a third entry and manage to tie all "that" up.

my running theory is that someone is playing the looooong game and at the end everything is undone so the two kids junpei and akane can grow up together without ever having gone through the nonary games.

Vorpal

God yes. I was so heartbroken at the "can't get funding" news last year. I really hope there's some substance to this tease.

GSR

2 years until release, then 2 again to maybe localize it, my body is quietly entering ready mode.

VLR actually had a pretty quick dev and localization turnaround time. It was announced in August 2011, released in Japan February 2012, released in NA October 2012 and Europe/Australia November 2012.

Anyway, here's hoping this was a ZE3 tease, but I'd rather not count any chickens before they hatch.

gdt

I loved 999 so much but haven't been able to play VLR cause I don't want the current handhelds (or any at all really). I hope it comes to pc or consoles man.

Korigama

VLR did so tremendously bad in Japan... It certainly would be something to finally see ZE3 announced.
And after everything done to neuter the experience going from 999 to VLR to appease consumers there who didn't buy the former at that, with the latter selling worse than it did even between two platforms vs. 999's one with DS (which already didn't set the charts on fire in Japan and was only a success because of the North American market, which made no difference to Spike Chunsoft in respect to decisions made regarding watering down the tension and horror in VLR). Language aside, VLR was rather tame even compared to the likes of AA5 as Ace Attorney's first M-rated installment.

Hoping that ZE3 is a significant improvement over what VLR was by recalling more of what made 999 special.
my running theory is that someone is playing the looooong game and at the end everything is undone so the two kids junpei and akane can grow up together without ever having gone through the nonary games.
That would make the most sense.

Dr. Buni

Nice! VLR was so good and 999 is the GOAT. Although I am not a fan of what we should expect from Zero Escape 3, I am still excited for it.

Please let it be Zero Escape 3.
I loved 999 and VLR, even imported 999 just so I can play it. (It wasn't released here in Europe, sadly)

I really wanna see the story come to closure, especially after that huge fucking cliffhanger at the end of VLR.

Korigama

Is this how fans of The Last Guardian feel?
More like how fans of Shenmue feel.
It's not directly "bad", but they removed the pouzzles and present the story entirely as a visual novel.
However it is clear that the way the puzzles work, they're really enhancing the experience, especially in the end.
Losing out on commentary from exploring the rooms and the dialogue between the characters (a significant part of what made the game so enjoyable) that comes about while doing so is also a problem.

Lusankya

More like how fans of Shenmue feel.

Losing out on commentary from exploring the rooms and the dialogue between the characters (a significant part of what made the game so enjoyable) that comes about while doing so is also a problem.

How many dialogues were cut? There are still many dialogues in the puzzle rooms in the iOS version.

Korigama

How many dialogues were cut? There are still many dialogues in the puzzle rooms in the iOS version.
Would likely depend on just how meticulous the player is (i.e., clicking on everything in sight when exploring a room, and doing so multiple times for every potential interaction/comment; same for examining items).

EDIT: Actually, that's still giving it too much credit: basically, assume that anything fun or otherwise diversionary from the original game is omitted in favor of only including conversations that advance the story. In short, a lot (it would be like if the iOS ports of the Ace Attorney games had eliminated investigations and all of the interactions resulting from the environmental and object examinations that occur during them). It's so painfully, boringly straightforward that even someone who doesn't examine every little thing with the utmost care and persistence would still get more out of the DS version.

It would be as much of a disservice to the game itself as it would be to new players if any potential Steam version isn't based on the original DS version.

It removes puzzles and exploration of the environment. The majority of the puzzles were really well done and had a right balance of difficulty imo. Also during exploration there are alot dialouge that happens between characters that add some nice humor and personality to characters. No animated sprites either.

Also the game was made for the dual screen setup of the DS. Don't really want to go too into it but yeah, people that have played the game know what i'm talking about.

Yes...Yes.

Neat.

OMGGGGGGGGGGG! Give it to me! Give me one of the greatest gaming trilogies of all time!

Nothing else will matter. I need this so badly it hurrrrrrts. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Korigama

Forgot one other gripe I usually bring up when criticizing the iOS "port": getting rid of all of the original DS 999's wonderful sprite work completely. Which also reminds me of how concerned I am about whether the ZE team learned anything from other developers (such as Capcom with AA5 and Arc with GGXrd) about how to do a proper transition from sprites to 3D models after how terrible the 3D models in VLR turned out.

aravuus

Forgot one other gripe I usually bring up when criticizing the iOS "port": getting rid of all of the original DS 999's wonderful sprite work completely. Which also reminds me of how concerned I am about whether the ZE team learned anything from other developers (such as Capcom with AA5 and Arc with GGXrd) about how to do a proper transition from sprites to 3D models after how terrible the 3D models in VLR turned out.

What was wrong with the 3d models? I quite liked them

Top Bottom