• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotick: EA Is Suffocating Studios

Draft

EA VP Jeff Brown and Activision CEO Bobby Kotick both confirmed much funnier than Tim Schafer, a so-called comic game developer.

ArjanN

Ken Masters said:
I love how in 2010 we now act like EA is the up and coming indy developer who is run by people who just simply make all there decisions based on their love for games and gamers

That's because unlike Activision, EA have been stepping up their game a lot in the last 2 years.

ArjanN said:
That's because unlike Activision, EA have been stepping up their game a lot in the last 2 years.
Not only that, but in direct correlation with the quote in question, EA has been working on that too in the past few years. Look at Bioware, bought up by EA and left for the most part to do what they do best. I honestly think that for whatever reason, Kotick is trying to get everyone to hate him.

Gomu Gomu

Man, you read Kotic's words, and then review his actions for the past ~ 3 years, and you see the basic definition of contradiction.

YourMaster

ArjanN said:

I don't care up how many of their games EA steps, I will never forgive them for the suffocating of some of the best game studios.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Gomu Gomu said:
Man, you read Kotic's words, and then review his actions for the past ~ 3 years, and you see the basic definition of contradiction.
As the saying goes, the loudest one in the room is oftentimes the weakest.

Wallach

Draft said:
EA VP Jeff Brown and Activision CEO Bobby Kotick both confirmed much funnier than Tim Schafer, a so-called comic game developer.

Tim kind of sounds like a whiny douche in the whole exchange.

Draft

Wallach said:
Tim kind of sounds like a whiny douche in the whole exchange.
Yeah, he sounds like someone who was ground into soul patch dust by Bobby Kotick's vicious straight talk.

troushers

Galactic ruler Supreme Emperor Bobby Palpatine, believes that the Empire's success is due to allowing planetary systems to retain their autonomy and personalities, rather than creating hidden bases like the Rebel Alliance. Speaking during an exclusive interview in issue 220 of Edge (available from UK newsagents tomorrow), Palpatine says that the Rebel Alliance is struggling to attract the best people due to unattractive working practices.

"The core principle of how we run the Empire is the exact opposite of the Rebels," he says. "The Rebels will start a colony and then it will become ‘Rebel Base Hoth’, ‘Rebel Base Yavin IV’, whatever. We always looked and said, 'You know what? What we like about a subjugated planet is that they have a culture, they have an independent vision and that’s what makes them so successful.' We don’t have an Empire anything - it’s Coruscant, Alderaan, Naboo.

I obviously missed something. Kotick mentioned using company assets for person things when he was describing what happened with IF. What's he refering to?

Zeliard

EA's response from Gamasutra:

Jeff Brown said:
Kotick’s relationship with studio talent is well-documented in litigation.

Jeff Brown said:
His company is based on three game franchises – one is a fantastic persistent world he had nothing to do with; one is in steep decline; and the third is in the process of being destroyed by Kotick’s own hubris.

:lol

Rather succinct.

YourMaster said:
I don't care up how many of their games EA steps, I will never forgive them for the suffocating of some of the best game studios.
Then have fun living in the past and blaming current guys in charge for the sins of previous management, I guess.

Safe Bet

Banned
Gomu Gomu said:
Rule thorough deceit and manipulation is the way of the
false-
Sith.

Afrikan

Sheep_eating.gif

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Zeliard said:
EA's response from Gamasutra:

:lol

Rather succinct.

:lol It's a game publisher rap battle.

Shame EA is 1) trying to get any piece of Call of Duty's sales with Medal of Honor (which will end in failure), 2) putting all of Bioware's chips in the pot against World of Warcraft and 3) doing just as much milking with Rock Band IP.

ultron87

I think Kotick and Activision are just mad that Microsoft grabbed the "Official NeoGAF Villain" belt from them for a few weeks so they are just firing back with all cylinders.

Kittonwy said:
So basically Activision has three IPs that EA desperately wants. Didn't Activsion steal Scofield from EA last year?

Humm? EA has EA Sports games, and most of them don't show any decline at all from year to year.

Then they have The Sims, Harry Potter, Mass Effect and Dragon Age (soon The Old Republic), Battlefield, Need For Speed.

Yeah, I don't think they envy Activision THAT much, Kittonwy... how does it go again? Ah, yeah :
Indifferent2.gif

CamHostage

The Bookerman said:
Isn't EA renaming their studios with new and original Names ? Visceral and Danger Close games are exemples of that. Since 2008, EA at least tried to create new brands like Mirror's edge and Dead space. What about Activision. Same shit year after year.

That's the funny thing that few have noticed: Bobby is talking about the WRONG company.

2K Games renames companies all the time, as do Ubi and THQ, but how many studios has EA renamed? Not many by my account (and most of them change their brand name from Phenomic to EA Phenomic, with the press and other referencers still often referring to the company openly by its "nickname".) I can think of a few names in history that EA in a final sign of assimilation changed, but those rebrandings have largely been after the studio culture had ended up collapsing and the studio was in need of absorption/rebranding (there was no reason to embarrass the Westwood name as fell to its death, for example, and once Wil Wright stopped shepherding The Sims it had to be that the team came out from under the Maxis umbrella.) In fact, EA has recently gone the opposite direction - when a floor team at EA Redwood started to make waves with Dead Space and Dante, EA spun them off as Visceral Games in order to give them that autonomous identity! Love EA or hate 'em, but what Kotick is saying doesn't seem to be backed up by fact.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
troushers said:
Galactic ruler Supreme Emperor Bobby Palpatine, believes that the Empire's success is due to allowing planetary systems to retain their autonomy and personalities, rather than creating hidden bases like the Rebel Alliance. Speaking during an exclusive interview in issue 220 of Edge (available from UK newsagents tomorrow), Palpatine says that the Rebel Alliance is struggling to attract the best people due to unattractive working practices.

"The core principle of how we run the Empire is the exact opposite of the Rebels," he says. "The Rebels will start a colony and then it will become ‘Rebel Base Hoth’, ‘Rebel Base Yavin IV’, whatever. We always looked and said, 'You know what? What we like about a subjugated planet is that they have a culture, they have an independent vision and that’s what makes them so successful.' We don’t have an Empire anything - it’s Coruscant, Alderaan, Naboo.

'And when they've served their purpose, after we sucked their resources dry, we Death Star their asses.'

I love Kotick. And I love Kotick vs EA. Just fantastic entertainment while I'm waiting for the 3DS.

Publisher wars > System Wars

Quasar

Heh. Pot. Meet Kettle.

That said I do think they are mis managing some studios. Like DICE.

And I must admit its interesting that Bungie went to Activision not EA, and the leaders of Visceral games fled EA for Activision.

Jintor

I can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing we got Brutal Legend or not. I'm erring on the side of good, but all the shit-talk Bobby is saying is still sorta true. The thing is the game that Tim made probably never would have sold without the infinite money EA poured into singleplayer, even if that singleplayer was kinda janky.

Damn Brutal Legend was a good experience though.

Jintor said:
I can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing we got Brutal Legend or not.

No Brütal Legend -> No more Double Fine -> The five games they are doing now would not be made.

Jintor said:
Damn Brutal Legend was a good experience though.

Indeed it was. I can´t understand that some people hate it so much. It was 8/10 for me. I don´t normally like hack&slash games, but I beat this and I want to replay it.

CecilRousso said:
No Brütal Legend -> No more Double Fine -> The five games they are doing now would not be made.

Indeed it was. I can´t understand that some people hate it so much. It was 8/10 for me. I don´t normally like hack&slash games, but I beat this and I want to replay it.

I'm sorry everybody but as much as I adore Tim's work (I have almost all the games he worked on) I think I'm with Bobby Satan on this one. Just look at it from a business perspective: did EA make any money on this project? Production and PR costs were incredibly high for such a, let's call it an AA title. The Activision suits were worried and I can understand that. I won't justify their dick move with suing Double Fine and such but still, Brutal Legend was a commercial failure, despite the marketing efforts (which were lacking in Tim's other CRITICAL success, ironically). Reviews were all over the place due to some lack of quality (I also think a lot of people expected the game to be something else, judging from the demo and commercials). Multiplayer was fucked from day 1 as well. I ADORED the setting but it made me realise that even Schafer can't produce gold everytime.

I don't agree with Bobby on a lot of levels, but I do on the Tim Schafer stance. Am I a cultist now? haha

StevePharma said:
I'm sorry everybody but as much as I adore Tim's work (I have almost all the games he worked on) I think I'm with Bobby Satan on this one. Just look at it from a business perspective: did EA make any money on this project? Production and PR costs were incredibly high for such a, let's call it an AA title. The Activision suits were worried and I can understand that. I won't justify their dick move with suing Double Fine and such but still, Brutal Legend was a commercial failure, despite the marketing efforts (which were lacking in Tim's other CRITICAL success, ironically). Reviews were all over the place due to some lack of quality (I also think a lot of people expected the game to be something else, judging from the demo and commercials). Multiplayer was fucked from day 1 as well. I ADORED the setting but it made me realise that even Schafer can't produce gold everytime.

I don't agree with Bobby on a lot of levels, but I do on the Tim Schafer stance. Am I a cultist now? haha

Three things:

1. If you look at it from Koticks view and just focus on the financial aspects, yeah it does sound reasonable.
2. But from a consumer perspective, I it´s hard to support big companies like this that refuses to take risks. EA certainly didn´t make a fortune on it, but thanks to them taking that risk, we now have an additional five Double Fine games to look forward to, one being produced by Ron Gilbert.
3. Activision was never this reasonable at the time. They dropped the title cause they said that they couldn´t see it being exploited annually for the next ten years, and then tried to sue when EA stepped in.

So from my viewpoint as a consumer, Kotick is the enemy. My interest lies in getting fun and interesting games to play, now the financial issues at Activision who are one the richest companies in the industry.

HungryHorace

Neo Member
CecilRousso said:
and then tried to sue when EA stepped in.
Yep, to drop a title is fine but to then try to prevent it's release, knowing that if you're successful - the developer will go bust, is wrong, morally if not legally. It's Kotick's sleight of hand not to acknowledge that part & to represent it as a simple matter of the game's commercial viability. Sadly, his trick seems to be working.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
CecilRousso said:
2. But from a consumer perspective, I it´s hard to support big companies like this that refuses to take risks. EA certainly didn´t make a fortune on it, but thanks to them taking that risk, we now have an additional five Double Fine games to look forward to, one being produced by Ron Gilbert.

EA took the risk on Brutal Legend, but they aren't reaping any of that in the new downloadable games. From what's been announced so far, it's THQ that signed that contract with Double Fine. Maybe EA has a proper retail release in the works with Double Fine, but that hasn't been revealed as of now.

I'm sure their balance sheet didn't come out of BL smelling like roses.

HungryHorace

Neo Member
El_TigroX said:
EA took the risk on Brutal Legend, but they aren't reaping any of that in the new downloadable games. From what's been announced so far, it's THQ that signed that contract with Double Fine. Maybe EA has a proper retail release in the works with Double Fine, but that hasn't been revealed as of now.

I'm sure their balance sheet didn't come out of BL smelling like roses.

Schafer was angry because Activision tried to sue when EA picked up BL. Not because they thought it wouldn't be successful. If BL lost EA money then that actually makes Activision's actions more dubious. Shouldn't you be pleased that your rival is making a bad investment? The only reason to sue is that you're scared the title may actually be a success & therefore bring your judgement into question.

Top Bottom