• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kratos confirmed for MK and 10 more characters

Stumpokapow said:
I liked Mortal Kombat. I liked Mortal Kombat 2. I liked Mortal Kombat 3 a little less. I didn't like any game after that. MK 2011 was supposed to be a recognition that there are many people out there like me--people who want them to remove all of the content, get back to basics, and make those basics enjoyable and well presented. Or at least that's how I read it.

Without getting in to which specific characters I like or don't like, in general, announcements about how "tons of old stuff is back" concern me. I'd be happier if they announced 10 characters that weren't in the game as a way of proving the point that they're moving away from character roster and bought-into-their-own-bullshit canon garbage.
Deadly Alliance series was good though. If you missed out on those, definitely check out Deception which I think is the best one of the lot.

Axiom

Ruas said:
Actually I was just subtly trying to prove a point about how stupid it is to purposely misspell sonic colors as "sonic colours". Yes,I know its an alternate spelling of the word, regardless, that spelling wasnt chosen by the developers.So therein lies my analogy by misspelling mortal kombat as "mortal combat" .
500x500.jpg

Kratos is a pretty damn good fit and aside from the mentioned KI characters I wonder what 360 could possibly use

RustyNails said:
Deadly Alliance series was good though. If you missed out on those, definitely check out Deception which I think is the best one of the lot.
Haven't played Deception/ Deadly Alliance was the last MK game that I played before I said "WTF?". I didn't like MK vs DC cause it wasn't as friendlier as other titles to get into with shitload of Tekken-style combos.

Lost Fragment said:
Why would people want Sheeva when Goro's been confirmed. Goro is the same thing, but better.
Goro is a mini-boss. Him as a playable character is too much unless they tone-down his moves to the level of Sheeva.

.la1n

Quan Chi is a waste of a character slot unless he gets a major design overhaul. Other than that great lineup, i'm impressed. So nice to see a great lineup when MvC3 was such huge let down.

Barrage

Fuuuuuuuuuuck Ermac's quote is so hype.

Haters need to stop jocking Quan Chi's albino dick. Dude has the best Fatality in MK history, and in canon dummied everyone short of the Dragon King. I will main him, there will be tears.

shagg_187 said:
Haven't played Deception/ Deadly Alliance was the last MK game that I played before I said "WTF?". I didn't like MK vs DC cause it wasn't as friendlier as other titles to get into with shitload of Tekken-style combos.

Goro is a mini-boss. Him as a playable character is too much unless they tone-down his moves to the level of Sheeva.
Deception & Shaolin Monks are definitely worth a play.

.la1n

Barrage said:
Fuuuuuuuuuuck Ermac's quote is so hype.

Haters need to stop jocking Quan Chi's albino dick. Dude has the best Fatality in MK history, and in canon dummied everyone short of the Dragon King. I will main him, there will be tears.

Best fatality in history? He removes their leg and beats them with it, might gather some laughter if I was 5 years old. Any old MK fan is going to prefer the old school burtal fatalities, not the mockery the game became later on and Quan Chi is part of that. He also stands as the beginning of crappy character designs from the MK team.

I'm so glad that sindel is in

Did they mention cyrax at all? I remember seeing sektor but I can't remember if cyrax was in?

I apologize for the spelling if they're wrong (its been awhile mk)

Also: if there is an xbox exclusive character, them fitting in the mk lore doesn't seem like a requirement. I think (if they are going to do console exclusive characters) that it would have to be someone who brutally murders people in games already (Marcus Fenix from Gears of War series come to mind).

Then again, who knows?

.la1n said:
Best fatality in history? He removes their leg and beats them with it, might gather some laughter if I was 5 years old. Any old MK fan is going to prefer the old school burtal fatalities, not the mockery the game became later on and Quan Chi is part of that. He also stands as the beginning of crappy character designs from the MK team.
His fatality in DA games is even worse. He simply pulls his enemy's necks so they end up looking like a giraffe :lol

Barrage

.la1n said:

1.When we're talking about a series where the most iconic characters are PALLETTE SWAPS, bad character designs come with the territory.

2. Check the prescription on your nostalgia glasses. Your average Flash game is more brutal then MK1/2. MK3's Fatalities suck balls.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
shagg_187 said:

So...why can't they do just that?

I wasn't aware that anybody cared about Sheeva until recently, 'cause nobody played her in UMK3 back in the day. And it was because she's boring, not because she sucks. Lots of people still played Classic Subzero and Cyrax and shit.

Deadstar

Foil said:
The main theme is a big let down. MK and MK2 had great stuff, this sounds like everything else now a days.

Agreed. This needs two more ingredients in order to be awesome. Techno and MORTAL KOMMMBAAAAATTT!! Where is the energy in this song? Mortal Kombat is supposed to get your blood pumping.

Struct09

I'm so hyped for this game, especially after playing it at PAX.

If the 360 version gets an exclusive character I'll probably double dip (buy one version at launch, but the other after a price plummet)

quickwhips

John McClane for 360 version he fires off guns while yell profanity and his finishing move is a chain wrapped around your next has he throws you off a bridge?

quickwhips said:
John McClane for 360 version he fires off guns while yell profanity and his finishing move is a chain wrapped around your next has he throws you off a bridge?
It wouldn't work. McClane is unkillable. He'd break the game.

Manus

So glad Ermac is in this. He was so broken in UMK3, yet he was my favorite character to play as. His mind power body slam better be back in this!

.la1n

Barrage said:
1.When we're talking about a series where the most iconic characters are PALLETTE SWAPS, bad character designs come with the territory.

Ah yes the Pallette swap characters, still had more personality then Quan Chi. Mortal Kombat really didn't have completely appalling character designs until MK3 onward.

Barrage said:
2. Check the prescription on your nostalgia glasses. Your average Flash game is more brutal then MK1/2. MK3's Fatalities suck balls.

I don't have to check the prescription on my nostalgia glasses, I have MK2 arcade sitting on my PS3 that's played quite regularly as well as both the original, 2, and UMK3 playable from my arcade box. Maybe you should just admit that some fans like the old designs and palette swaps opposed to getting characters from the latest games (the worst in the series) shoehorned in.

Also, FIX REPTILE FOR FUCK SAKE.

.la1n

For the 360 the only reason answer is to have someone from Gears. Master Chief has had his turn in a fighting game.

Kratos is a perfect fit for the series, as he appeals to the exact same sensibilities as Mortal Kombat does. This news would be the greatest thing ever if I was still 12 years old.

Leatherface

I gotta say. Kratos is a great fit for this game. I can see this working well.

Also, this is the first time in a VERY LONG time that I'm actually looking forward to an MK game. :rawk

Songbird

Prodigal Son
People suggest Fulgore for 360 MK but how about...

acpqe.jpg

Sabrewulf! Fight on.

A lot of the cast would fit actually, like Black Orchid.

SquirrelNuckle said:
If their putting in anybody from Killer Instinct it needs to be Spinal.
Isn't the skeleton quota already filled by Scorpion?

I would like some new sub boss or boss. Like a 6 armed double headed dragon or something :lol. The one character that I enjoyed in the new MK games was Blind Kenshi. I hope they add him. He fits in well with the classic cast.

.la1n

_dementia said:
not Master Chief.

Haha that is correct, it was never Master Chief. My Fault. Either way, someone who closely resembles master chielf has been in a fighting game so let's give someone else a chance.

.la1n

Bleepey said:
10892-jago_large.gif

Needs to return

Jago, yessss. Still have my Killer Instincts Killer Cuts CD lmao.

If rare refuses to do anthing with the IP but tease us year after year then why not let them use one if not more of the characters or just sell them to WB/Namco/Capcom,Arksys outright and let someone competent use them for a fighting game reboot.

I think Kratos will fare better as a Guest Kombatant here than he did for SC. They should've went with Nariko for that. She would've flowed way better with the way SC works. But Kratos is gonna fuck somebody's shit up. With all the weapons he's had at his disposal from GoW it should be no issue getting him a great moveset together. Those Fatalities will be fucking vicious. And Nicole was a monster in DOA4. Plasma Grenade Stick is the shit.

Anyanka said:
Liu Kang, Kano, Baraka, Sheeva, Jade. Rain(sort of). Kintaro & Motaro.

Why the sort of on Rain, been shown in a cameo or something (I haven't been following the game until I saw this thread)? Also, what about Chameleon & Khameleon, weren't they in MKT and missing from MK 2011?

Lost Fragment said:
I wasn't aware that anybody cared about Sheeva until recently, 'cause nobody played her in UMK3 back in the day. And it was because she's boring, not because she sucks.

Rage fuels through my veins!!

Sheeva was an awesome intimidating character. Her size and her melee/stomping abilities, if mastered, can be a wrecking machine. She is the T-hawk of MK. Sure, there are shit loads of Ken and Ryu players but T-hawk players are few and they are fearless!

quickwhips said:
Isn't Stryker suppose to be a John McClane for MK?

Thnikkaman said:
People suggest Fulgore for 360 MK but how about...

acpqe.jpg

Sabrewulf! Fight on.
Nightwolf will conflict with Sabrewulf, especially with the (non-existing) animality.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
shagg_187 said:
Nightwolf will conflict with Sabrewulf, especially with the (non-existing) animality.
"I'm not saying friendships and animalities aren't included but..." :D

shagg_187 said:
What what? Don't you fuck around with me! I loved animalities and want them back! :mad:
There's a quote from Ed Boon neither confirming nor denying crazy secrets like that. Those two were mentioned by name I think.

strideramc said:
If the Kratos rumors prove true, which all signs so far point to the fact that it is the case, I will grab the PS3 version of this game instead of the 360 copy I was planning to snag.

And therefore Sony's deal will have paid off. My gut says that the PS3 version will be the only one with a "bonus" and history has shown that these kinds of "bonuses" usually help one platform sell better than the other. If Sony is the only one that has a bonus character, then the PS3 version will sell better as all the multi-console owners immediately pick that version (barring technical problems, which is unlikely). This has happened somewhat recently (Batman: AA, Dante's Inferno, etc.).

Top Bottom