• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kristin Cavallari, anti-vaxxer, featured on the cover of American Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rösti;188710358 said:
I first read anti-waxxer and imagined this very hairy woman. :p

As for anti-vaccination I can understand that some parents may have worries, but I think one shouldn't so easily disregard the benefits of stable, proven vaccinations like that of anthrax, rabies and mumps for example.

One shouldn't pretend to be a pediatrician either.

Worries without knowing the facts is reasonable.

Worries after knowing the facts (or choosing not to know) is not.

Pretty sure most people know shit when they have a baby - I know I won't. That's why you have books with information and listen to doctors. Why are people like this given a podium like their bullshit is somehow valid? This is literally putting your child and the children of non-crazy people in danger.

andthebeatgoeson

Pretty sure most people know shit when they have a baby - I know I won't. That's why you have books with information and listen to doctors. Why are people like this given a podium like their bullshit is somehow valid? This is literally putting your child and the children of non-crazy people in danger.
It's basically an image thing. She looks like the people they want to read their mag. She's showing leg, looking 'fabulous', as people are known to say.

They want to project an image. They never show an overweight lady on the cover. The symbolism is she has it together. And it plays on pregnant women's emotions. A lot of pregnant women would moan about how she looks and maybe aspire to it. The crazy talk is secondary. Her being C list is further down the scale. It's kind of fucked up

“You should accept advice. It’s helpful to listen to other moms’ experiences just for peace of mind. But ultimately no one knows what your baby needs better than you.”
I've only been a parent for 3 years so are there people here with older kids that know if this sort of "parent empowerment" bullshit is a new thing, or just on the rise. Sure, my wife and I were the best at handling our daughter's needs when she was a baby because we knew what she was trying to communicate. However, for actual medical stuff we knew jack shit and took advice from our doctors who actaully DO know shit about medical stuff. This notion that love and bond with your baby gives you medical knowledge regarding them is fucking dangerous.

I think all sincerely held beliefs need to be respected. Anti anti vaxers are just so rude and just as bad as the anti vaxers they make fun of.

In this case, I would ask what does respect entail? Vaccines are not really a contentious issue. There isn't an other side, there is quackery that claims vaccines cause harm.

Garlador

I think all sincerely held beliefs need to be respected. Anti anti vaxers are just so rude and just as bad as the anti vaxers they make fun of.

Demonstrably, scientifically proven wrong beliefs don't warrant any respect...
ESPECIALLY when those beliefs have led to hundreds upon thousands of preventable deaths.

Infografia_vacunas.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom