• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

CeeSaw

So, I had some kind of issue with my UK KS7000/US8000. I couldn't identify it, so I decided to have it picked up and get a return.

Well, the return came in and the problem was still there. I realised I cocked up and asked the technician if they somehow kept track of returned TVs, so I could swap back to the one had (if that makes sense). He said that wasn't possible, so I was stuck with a replacement TV with more problems than the old one.

Then I woke up and it was all a dream.

I'm not joking. I literally woke up with a start earlier today, realising that I did not swap my TV for some unknown technical reason. It's still upstairs and I'd had some kind of lightmare (not quite a nightmare).

I hope this post is OK, but seriously folks, as many issues as the TV has with plastic separation, DSE and banding and light bleed, if you have a set that you can live with, a set where you can get into a show or a game and forget about the niggles, keep it.

If you can find HDR settings that work for you, whatever combination of backlight, brightness and contrast the may be, stick with them.

Because I've just run an unwanted simulation of what it's like to get rid of a slightly flawed TV for a worse one, and it's enough to give you lightmares.
I was so worried about the problems I read in this thread but I eventually found a great deal on one and pulled the trigger. For the first week or so I was constantly fiddling with the settings and questioning the quality of the picture. But after tweaking the settings a bit I have fallen in love with the tv. 4K and HDR look great (other than NBA 2k17, which I have noticed is the only HDR game I have that doesn't have an HDR slider in game) and my only issue is one corner of my back panel is kind of popped out. Other than that one issue I have no regrets and am glad GAF helped me find this tv.

Melubas

Ok, so I've learned that I should never shine a flashlight on this TV. So many tiny smudges and stuff that drives me crazy but are completely invisible in any other condition. The thing is, my TV came with some smudges and stuff on it out of the box. I managed to clean most of them off but it still has some microscratches and edge smudges that can be seen in direct Sunlight. How are your TV:s when you shine a flashlight on it? Can you also see smudges and microscratches or did I get a bad panel? I don't really have a problem with it since it can't be seen under normal conditions, it just annoys me knowing it's there.

How are your TV:s when you shine a flashlight on it?

No thanks. I don't want to do this because I am happy not knowing about the smudges and microscratches. Besides, I know my Doberman has put his wet nose against the screen a couple times. I've cleaned it off with Monster cleaner and it looks great in normal viewing but I'm sure shining the flashlight on it would be like shining a blacklight in a hotel room. I'm better off not knowing in the end.

Has anyone else problems with his PS4 Pro? Sometimes my TV is showing randomly a black screen, turns back on, again black and so on until I restart the PS4 or drop the HDMI cable out and in again. Any ideas? I tested out a different HDMI cable, but it didn't help.

Has anyone else problems with his PS4 Pro? Sometimes my TV is showing randomly a black screen, turns back on, again black and so on until I restart the PS4 or drop the HDMI cable out and in again. Any ideas? I tested out a different HDMI cable, but it didn't help.
I'm having this exact same problem, and it's relatively new.

I'm not sure if it's something with the new firmware, or if it's because I recently started running my PS4 through the PSVR breakout box, but it'll happen when playing Nier Automata (not HDR) or the dashboard about a minute in, then again six minutes later, then it's pretty stable from that point forward.

I should probably test to see if it's happening without routing through the PSVR and the extra cable.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

I'm not sure if it's something with the new firmware, or if it's because I recently started running my PS4 through the PSVR breakout box, but it'll happen when playing Nier Automata (not HDR) or the dashboard about a minute in, then again six minutes later, then it's pretty stable from that point forward.

I should probably test to see if it's happening without routing through the PSVR and the extra cable.

I get this on my KS8000, but it this is usually once per play session for each game when the set, after several minute of play, decides it is playing in HDR mode.

I get this on my KS8000, but it this is usually once per play session for each game when the set, after several minute of play, decides it is playing in HDR mode.

I had it also before the newest FW. It doesn't matter if it runs through the PSVR breakout box or not. Sometimes it's only once per playout session, but sometimes it's just constantly going on and off. For example I played today FIFA 17 with my brother and everything was fine. But then suddenly it started and I had to restart, because it was unplayable.

Currently I'm not sure if it is a problem with the PS4 or the TV, but I suspect the TV. Because I also have a 4k receiver and sometimes when I switch to the running receiver it doesn't display anything. Only a restart of the receiver helps.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
I just picked up the 60" and it looks great with any signal that is 1080p or higher.

My main issue I'm having is with sub 1080 pictures like BBC iPlayer. Everything just looks blurry. I don't expect absolute crispness but it looks worse than my old 1080p TV.

Not sure if I'm missing a setting somewhere that might improve this a bit. Any thoughts?

Just got my 60" and I was worried after hearing the 60's are a Sharp EA01 Panel. All worries were put to bed when I fired up The Grand Tour and some YouTube in 4k/HDR, my fiancé and were mind blown! I can't wait to start Horizon on this!

ponziacs

Banned
I just picked up the 60" and it looks great with any signal that is 1080p or higher.

My main issue I'm having is with sub 1080 pictures like BBC iPlayer. Everything just looks blurry. I don't expect absolute crispness but it looks worse than my old 1080p TV.

Not sure if I'm missing a setting somewhere that might improve this a bit. Any thoughts?
One of the reasons I sold my ks8000 was the quality of the upscaling was just not good. Even 1080p content looked worse than my 1080p TV.

Mine was the 55"

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Anyone here know the truth about the 8500 series TV when it comes to glare on the screen? Is it true that it can be hard to see what's on the TV when it comes to some outside and indoor lighting reflecting on the screen?

Is it really that bad?

So, anyone figure out good Switch settings? And why I need sharpness up to 25 for it to not look blurry?

two answers:

1) if you're in PC RGB mode, neutral is 50 sharpness
2) if you're in normal mode, the system's OS only runs at 720p and Zelda only runs at 900p, so it's not going to look very sharp. Personally, I wouldn't sharpen it further, will just make the aliasing look worse in that game.

Aske

I had it also before the newest FW. It doesn't matter if it runs through the PSVR breakout box or not. Sometimes it's only once per playout session, but sometimes it's just constantly going on and off. For example I played today FIFA 17 with my brother and everything was fine. But then suddenly it started and I had to restart, because it was unplayable.

Currently I'm not sure if it is a problem with the PS4 or the TV, but I suspect the TV. Because I also have a 4k receiver and sometimes when I switch to the running receiver it doesn't display anything. Only a restart of the receiver helps.

My experience with this issue:

No problems with my Pro until I introduced the PSVR breakout box. I swapped out one of Sony's official HDMI cables for a different one, and the issue completely went away. Removing the breakout box also solved the issue.

My guess is that I was lucky, and was able to both identify and replace one bad cable that was causing handshake issues very easily. I'd bet that those of you who can't fix this with a new cable either have multiple iffy cables that need to be replaced, or the new cable you introduced also suffers from the same problem.

I used a Monoprice certified premium cable.

I sort of hate the subtitles font on this tv and the customization options aren't great either. Are there any alternatives? (another app? I think I tried the PS4 player and had to used the "closed caption" option which wasn't ideal). I think they're too large even in the smaller size, would prefer a smaller, bolder font.

KalBalboa

Banned
Can anyone confirm whether or not the KS8000 supports 480i over HDMI?

I'm about to buy myself an HDMI converter for my PS2 and can't find any concrete information on the supported resolutions of the TV. There are people on Amazon claiming they got their PS2s playing over HDMI on the KS8000 using these type of cheap dongles but there's no specific mentions of KS8000s, just "my name Samsung TV."

conpfreak

Can anyone confirm whether or not the KS8000 supports 480i over HDMI?

I'm about to buy myself an HDMI converter for my PS2 and can't find any concrete information on the supported resolutions of the TV. There are people on Amazon claiming they got their PS2s playing over HDMI on the KS8000 using these type of cheap dongles but there's no specific mentions of KS8000s, just "my name Samsung TV."

I have one of those HDMI adapters for the Wii and it works. Looks absolutely horrible, but it works.

I got a UE49KS7000 (KS8000 for USA) for about a week and I am using the original PlayStation 4. Not PlayStation 4 Pro or the slim.

I followed Digital Foundry's video about setting up HDR for gaming and my PlayStation 4 Video Output Settings are all set to Automatic. The video output information is:

Code:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 - 60 Hz
Colour Format: RGB
HDR on Your TV: Supported

I played Final Fantasy XV as I heard it has the best HDR implementation. To be honest, I was very disappointed with it as it barely made any difference. It does not look amazing. It looks as if I was playing with HDR disabled.

Did I miss anything or setup incorrectly? Is there a video of someone playing Final Fantasy XV in HDR? So I can see what I am missing.

I also realised that my PlayStation 4 only does 8 bit HDR whereas the Pro does 10 bit HDR. So how much difference is HDR on 8 bit and 10 bit?

I also tried to watching a few videos on The HDR Channel on the TV's YouTube app and it does not look amazing. I checked that the video was playing on 1080p resolution instead of 4K resolution. I do not know how to force it to display at 4K resolution. Personally, I do not think the resolution matter that much.

The TV is a 10 bit panel and I believe HDR is supposed to look amazing as I read positive impressions on the Internet about HDR.

Is there a demo I could download to watch native 4K 10 bit HDR video to see the actual thing?

I really do not want to buy a 4k Blu-ray player.

I would also like to see the a comparison video between non HDR content vs 8 bit HDR vs 10 bit HDR. So that I know what is what. Right now, I cannot see any significant difference and I think I may have setup incorrectly or missing something essential.

Is there a demo I could download to watch native 4K 10 bit HDR video to see the actual thing?

You can download any of the demos here and put on an external storage device and hook it up to the one connect box HDD USB port.

The Youtube app should switch to 4K automatically and there should be 4K and HDR boxes showing up when you have the youtube controls visible.

8-bit or 10-bit isn't going to make a big difference, mostly just smoother gradients.

hemtaro

Neo Member
Sure but the price on QLED is ridiculous. The KS8000 was the best TV of 2016 as far as price/performance goes. QLED is priced like OLED so at that point, just get an OLED.
Just got my 55" for 800 and yes i think its best bang for your buck 4k tv. I just wished i knew about that epp fiasco where people hot their set for 700 :(

I had the same problem for months.

change your res from automatic to 4k YUV420. FIXED!

not sure on what impact that does to image quality but everything has ran great so far.

Sephzilla

Just curious, has anyone experienced the issue where the RGB signal "desyncs" for a moment in game mode before fixing itself? Did a little research on it and apparently its a software bug in the firmware

Anyone used one of these sets (or ks7000) with a PC on a game that has HDR?

Moving house and going to run a HDMI cable through the wall from my PC for some big screen 4k gaming. With some games already supporting HDR on PC (Shadow Warrior 2, maybe BF1 but not sure) like the upcoming Mass Effect I was wondering how it looks. Appreciate this isn't the most common set up but any feedback is appreciated.

Belker

I've noticed that several times lately, as well as a kind of super-tearing where the top or bottom half of the screen will freeze for ~half a second. I thought my Switch was defective.

Carnby

Ok, so I've learned that I should never shine a flashlight on this TV. So many tiny smudges and stuff that drives me crazy but are completely invisible in any other condition. The thing is, my TV came with some smudges and stuff on it out of the box. I managed to clean most of them off but it still has some microscratches and edge smudges that can be seen in direct Sunlight. How are your TV:s when you shine a flashlight on it? Can you also see smudges and microscratches or did I get a bad panel? I don't really have a problem with it since it can't be seen under normal conditions, it just annoys me knowing it's there.

Sounds normal. I bet your 1080p tv was the same.

philm87

I think I've found the perfect settings for me for Horizon Zero Dawn (and probably other HDR games), looks the best it has, and looks great in all areas:

HZD in-game brightness = 60%

TV Settings:
(Game Mode)
Backlight = 20
Brightness = 40
Contrast = 100
Sharpness = 0
Colour = 60
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Colour Tone = Standard
Colour Space (Auto)
Gamma = 0

The moonlight on this game takes my breath away more than anything else I think, closely followed by the bright sunshine and sparks from machines. I don't mind dying over and over trying to kill a Stormbird, cos it looks so damn good to look at as it attacks!

Feel a lot more settled on these settings than I do with settings for non-HDR.

Aske

I think I've found the perfect settings for me for Horizon Zero Dawn (and probably other HDR games), looks the best it has, and looks great in all areas:

HZD in-game brightness = 60%

TV Settings:
(Game Mode)
Backlight = 20
Brightness = 40
Contrast = 100
Sharpness = 0
Colour = 60
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Colour Tone = Standard
Colour Space (Auto)
Gamma = 0

The moonlight on this game takes my breath away more than anything else I think, closely followed by the bright sunshine and sparks from machines. I don't mind dying over and over trying to kill a Stormbird, cos it looks so damn good to look at as it attacks!

Feel a lot more settled on these settings than I do with settings for non-HDR.

I actually went back to default in-game brightness for Horizon: 50. I completely agree that it's absolutely stunning.

For fun, these are my settings, which are exactly the same as those I use for SDR aside from the backlight.

Backlight: 20
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 93
Sharpness: 0
Colour: 50
Smart LED: High
DC: Off
Colour Tone: Warm 1
Gamma: 0
Colour Space: Auto.

SDR backlight is 6.

Sbone and Pro are identical settings; game mode on for games and off for movies.

Apple TV is identical, but brightness is 43.

TV's apps are identical, but Netflix HDR has gamma at 3.

Zero complaints, everything looks phenomenal. No Pro glitches. The only thing I'm open to changing or unsure about is whatever the deal is with Netflix HDR. I'm thinking it's a Netflix problem rather than an issue with the TV, but leaving the gamma up solves it. No need for Dynamic Contrast on anything.

Is there nothing I can do about the Nintendo Switch "Switching" to HDMI 4(Which is where I have my Switch connected to) when in sleep mode..every few minutes I will be watching TV and the TV will "Switch" to HDMI 4 and of course say no signal is found since obviously Im not playing anything..then I have to take the remote and go back to TV its super annoying..after the newest Samsung TV update it didnt do it for a few days now its back, its already done it four times today(Once in a span of 2 minutes apart) who knows, its probably doing it right now as I type this..so is there no fix for this..or do I just have to turn the console off completely to prevent this

ReitStuff

Is there nothing I can do about the Nintendo Switch "Switching" to HDMI 4(Which is where I have my Switch connected to) when in sleep mode..every few minutes I will be watching TV and the TV will "Switch" to HDMI 4 and of course say no signal is found since obviously Im not playing anything..then I have to take the remote and go back to TV its super annoying..after the newest Samsung TV update it didnt do it for a few days now its back, its already done it four times today(Once in a span of 2 minutes apart) who knows, its probably doing it right now as I type this..so is there no fix for this..or do I just have to turn the console off completely to prevent this

This happens to me too and I have not read anywhere that there is a solution. I just undock the Switch when I'm not using it now. It sucks but I don't know what else to do.

Have you changed the HDMI CEC settings on the Switch? I believe it's under TV Settings and says "Match TV Power State" or something like that. I switched mine to OFF last night and haven't been having the issue anymore. Hopefully that holds up.

philm87

This happens to me too and I have not read anywhere that there is a solution. I just undock the Switch when I'm not using it now. It sucks but I don't know what else to do.

On the tv go to system, expert settings, and turn Anynet+ off. Think that should work, worth a go anyway.

Have you changed the HDMI CEC settings on the Switch? I believe it's under TV Settings and says "Match TV Power State" or something like that. I switched mine to OFF last night and haven't been having the issue anymore. Hopefully that holds up.

Yeah it did it..AGAIN..worst thing is if you are not in the room when it switches after a few minutes the TV actually turns off completely I noticed that when I went back in the room the TV was off

Heel

RE: Switch

I was listening to the Bombcast recently, and Jeff Gerstmann mentioned something about how his LG OLED was giving him alerts to switch to the Switch input.

Sounds like it might be something Nintendo needs to sort out in the long term?

hesido

How do I know if HDR in game mode is working properly for me? Is there some sort of HDR check where I can manually disable HDR and re-check after enabling?

I've got the KS8500 with the latest firmware and a PS4Pro. I've heard something like setting reset thing problem, what exactly is that? If I don't have my backlight at 20, is HDR effect lessened or disabled completely??

For example, I get an "HDR video playing" notice between going back to the main menu on uncharted multiplayer, after images of heroes are shown. Can that rather distracting thing be turned off?

Please advise!

Btw, the uhd hdr demo website downloads at a whopping 70KB's a second. Would be glad if there's torrent of said demos (legally distributed of course :) )

Rbk_3

SO with the 2017 TVs releasing, I take it we are not going to get an HDR Game Mode patch. That is really unfathomable :(

Belker

How do I know if HDR in game mode is working properly for me? Is there some sort of HDR check where I can manually disable HDR and re-check after enabling?

I've got the KS8500 with the latest firmware and a PS4Pro. I've heard something like setting reset thing problem, what exactly is that? If I don't have my backlight at 20, is HDR effect lessened or disabled completely??

For example, I get an "HDR video playing" notice between going back to the main menu on uncharted multiplayer, after images of heroes are shown. Can that rather distracting thing be turned off?

Please advise!

Btw, the uhd hdr demo website downloads at a whopping 70KB's a second. Would be glad if there's torrent of said demos (legally distributed of course :) )

The first time I saw the real difference between HDR and not, was in Uncharted 4 in a level where you're walking around a cave and there are explosive skeletons. Try turning HDR on and off in that setting, if you can. You'll see that the cave looks weirdly bright and 'flat' with HDR off and somehow better illuminated, though darker, with more subtle detail with it on.

I don't think you *have* to have the backlight at max to get HDR in some form, but I think you *should* have it there to really maximise the brightest parts of the image. Why reduce the effect of the technology you're paying for?

hesido

The first time I saw the real difference between HDR and not, was in Uncharted 4 in a level where you're walking around a cave and there are explosive skeletons. Try turning HDR on and off in that setting, if you can. You'll see that the cave looks weirdly bright and 'flat' with HDR off and somehow better illuminated, though darker, with more subtle detail with it on.

I don't think you *have* to have the backlight at max to get HDR in some form, but I think you *should* have it there to really maximise the brightest parts of the image. Why reduce the effect of the technology you're paying for?

I'll definitely try that part.

I was asking about the backlight amount because I thought there may be bugs which might disable or diminish the effect to the point of no-hdr if it wasn't specifically 20 :)

SO with the 2017 TVs releasing, I take it we are not going to get an HDR Game Mode patch. That is really unfathomable :(
What would this patch do? Do you mean patch for latency? I think KS8x00 did receive such a patch reducing the latency, no? Please do correct me if I'm wrong. I'm used to laggy TV's so much that I may not tell a laggy input :)

MazeHaze

Banned
I played Final Fantasy XV as I heard it has the best HDR implementation. To be honest, I was very disappointed with it as it barely made any difference. It does not look amazing. It looks as if I was playing with HDR disabled.

Did I miss anything or setup incorrectly? Is there a video of someone playing Final Fantasy XV in HDR? So I can see what I am missing.

I also realised that my PlayStation 4 only does 8 bit HDR whereas the Pro does 10 bit HDR. So how much difference is HDR on 8 bit and 10 bit?

The TV is a 10 bit panel and I believe HDR is supposed to look amazing as I read positive impressions on the Internet about HDR.

The ps4 and the ps4 pro are both 8bit hdr.

In ffxv, run around a grassy area on a sunny day in game for a minute. Then go into the menu ffxv menu and turn hdr off. The game looks very bland without HDR. You will see the difference

Anyone used one of these sets (or ks7000) with a PC on a game that has HDR?

Moving house and going to run a HDMI cable through the wall from my PC for some big screen 4k gaming. With some games already supporting HDR on PC (Shadow Warrior 2, maybe BF1 but not sure) like the upcoming Mass Effect I was wondering how it looks. Appreciate this isn't the most common set up but any feedback is appreciated.

I have played Shadow Warrior 2, Resident Evil 7 and Hitman on PC in HDR on this TV and they all look fantastic. It's nice cuz you can run them at 1440p which is indistinguishable from 4k at couch distance imo.

I also have a HDR on PC question. A couple, actually.

Can you leave your desktop as 8-bit RGB, and HDR-enabled games will just switch to 4:2:0 10-bit HDR? I assume you have to run the games in full screen mode.

Also, will you get the HDR popup notification on the KS8000 in this case?

hesido

More questions:

KS8500, according to rtings.com, has the lowest input latency ar 4K HDR in non 4:4:4 mode:
4k @ 60Hz + HDR : 19.2 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR : 33.2 ms

to force non-4:4:4 HDR, do I force YUV mode in PS4 display output instead of RGB?

What would this patch do? Do you mean patch for latency? I think KS8x00 did receive such a patch reducing the latency, no? Please do correct me if I'm wrong. I'm used to laggy TV's so much that I may not tell a laggy input :)

I believe he/she is referring to the glitch that prevents the automatic backlight settings to set to "HDR" when you are in Game Mode and playing a game that is in HDR. It reportedly does it for the other modes except in game mode so anytime you are playing an HDR game, you must manually set the backlight to 20. I was reading that someone got a hold of a Samsung Engineer and they said they would look into it...unsure the status.

Heel

More questions:

KS8500, according to rtings.com, has the lowest input latency ar 4K HDR in non 4:4:4 mode:

to force non-4:4:4 HDR, do I force YUV mode in PS4 display output instead of RGB?

You're not going to get 4:4:4 in HDR on PS4 Pro, it switches to YUV when outputting HDR.

I don't even know how or why they're testing it, as it's not possible with the current HDMI standard at 60hz in 10bit.

0safeH7.png

MazeHaze

Banned
I also have a HDR on PC question. A couple, actually.

Can you leave your desktop as 8-bit RGB, and HDR-enabled games will just switch to 4:2:0 10-bit HDR? I assume you have to run the games in full screen mode.

Also, will you get the HDR popup notification on the KS8000 in this case?

I am not 100 percent sure, but as far as I know, the game switches everything to the correct settings when HDR is enabled. I keep my desktop at 8 bit RGB and HDR looks great when I boot up games. Games do have to be ran in exclusive full screen for HDR, and yes the TV does give an HDR notification when the game boots.

More questions:

This is a bit of a misconception. The input lag is higher for 4:4:4 on rtings because 4:4:4 is only properly displayed when you have the TV in PC mode, which has a slightly higher input lag than game mode. If you have the TV in game mode, no matter what the lag will be as low as possible, it just converts a 4:4:4 signal to 4:2:2

EDIT: and for the post above mine, the PS4 only outputs an 8 bit HDR signal.

bubumiao

Anyone seen an MU8000 out in the wild yet? Particularly the UN65MU8000FXZA model. I was gonna get the 65" KS8000, but I'm figuring these will be comparable with a few more bells and whistles and not much more expensive.

Top Bottom