• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ku Klux Klan smaller, 'fractured,' still dangerous, Anti-Defamation League report

Slayven

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/06/21/report-ku-klux-klan-smaller-hit-infighting/103088960/

https://www.adl.org/news/press-rele...orious-hate-movement-kkk-remains-active-in-33

A report due to be released by the Anti-Defamation League on Thursday morning and shared exclusively with USA TODAY says that the Ku Klux Klan appears to be weighed down by infighting and that activities are dwindling.

The 10-page report, "Despite Internal Turmoil, Klan Groups Persist," says the Klan's primary activity seems to be distributing hate literature.

"The distribution of racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic and Islamophobic fliers remains the most consistent Klan activity," the report said. But such activity is down from 86 incidents in 2015 to 78 in 2016 to 39 so far in 2017.

The report also says that while 42 affiliated groups have staged activities in 33 states for the last 18 months, most groups have less than 25 members.

The report found that social media posts reflect a fractured Klan in which leaders come and go and members do not trust one another. Today's Klan, according to the report, is chiefly preoccupied with perceived threats such as Black Lives Matter, Islam, the LGBT community and transgender restrooms, immigration and removal of Confederate symbols from public places.

”The Ku Klux Klan movement is small and fractured, but still poses a threat to society," ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt said in a statement. "These hardened racists and bigots are looking to spread fear, and if they grow dissatisfied with the Klan, they move on to other groups on the extreme far right. There's lots of instability and unpredictability in the Klan movement."

The report indicated that monitoring of Klan-related conversations on social media reflected instability among leaders and distrust between members. A Pennsylvania Klan member identified as Joe Mulligan is quoted in the report as writing a Facebook post that read: "This is no disrespect to any true IWs (imperial wizards), but there is more Imperial Wizards on Facebook then there is at Hogwart's Academy."

klan-report-2017-map-activity-800w.jpg

Hot take, no new blood are taking up the robes. They just doing the dirt openly on the internet. Or joining the GOP

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The Klan like vinyl records will start coming back into fashion in a few decades.

Let's be honest: Many were already part of the GOP anyway. Invading politics and law enforcement is how they continue to persist in general.

Even on the extreme right I think the amount of people who take these clowns seriously is rapidly dwindling. They're just a laughing stock of cliches and even if prospective member wanted to join, the suggestion that they're riddled with FBI informants would put people off, so its no wonder there's so much talk of distrust.

I think its one of the less highlighted aspects of the whole Alt-Right thing... they're growing as the KKK fades into antiquated irrelevance

NandoGip

I love how transgender restrooms is such an inciteful topic for bigots

Like, it's just a place where people shit lol.

These dudes love to hate.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I love how transgender restrooms is such an inciteful topic for bigots

Like, it's just a place where people shit lol.

These dudes love to hate.

Well they can't go on about gay marriage like they used to so they have to find something else to piss and moan about

Fuchsdh

Even on the extreme right I think the amount of people who take these clowns seriously is rapidly dwindling. They're just a laughing stock of cliches and even if prospective member wanted to join, the suggestion that they're riddled with FBI informants would put people off, so its no wonder there's so much talk of distrust.

I think its one of the less highlighted aspects of the whole Alt-Right thing... they're growing as the KKK fades into antiquated irrelevance

Well, the history of the Klan has overall been one of long irrelevant periods with short revivals. They've never been a consistent, maintained decades-long force. As others have pointed out, there are plenty of other white supremacist or nativist options now, many of which don't carry the same social stigma as of yet.

Karkador

Banned
The klan is alive and well, they just exchanged their robes for online anonymity.

I think nowadays they just run for office or join lobby groups like the NRA. At the end of the day, it's about intimidating people of color with violence. There's no need for robes and masks anymore.

But yule becume jus as bad as they r!!

Smack whoever needs it

If Blues Brothers taught me anything, it's that the klan/nazis cannot be tolerated in my state. Bad enough we're broke, but this is just deplorable.

I know what I have to do.

64de9eda2c877101903287672efebc3f.gif

And then I'll get the band back together.

Top Bottom