• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kwame Armah on Black Brit/African American tension, Idris Elba, leaving UK for US

Status
Not open for further replies.
article from earlier this year but interesting read on what he thinks on black brits " stealing" jobs from african americans, frustration on black roles on TV, acting in America & Class in UK:

kwame-portrait-007.jpg

Kwame Kwei - Armah ]enjoys many things about living in Baltimore, but one of the things he enjoys most is the look on people's faces when he opens his mouth. Kwei-Armah, who was brought up in Southall in London, loves to talk and he has a rich and exact British accent. His voice confuses people here.

"You know Americans like to think of their society as classless, but I think class is just as strong here as in Britain," he says, "and sometimes it is conflated more easily with race. A very interesting thing happens to me here in that respect. Just occasionally one gets a sense that a certain kind of white American feels slightly inferior to an RP British accent, but feels slightly superior to the African American. So when I speak they don't know what the fuck to think. They stare at my mouth for a long time. It's funny but almost every black British actor that comes here you hear them speaking just a touch more correctly than they do at home. Not consciously at all. But it becomes a little statement: just know I am slightly different…"

Kwei-Armah, the multi-talented playwright and actor and critic and political activist, came to Baltimore having been invited to become artistic director of the state theatre here, Center Stage, the kind of offer he never received in Britain. We are talking in his office at that theatre, an impressive cultural hub in the heart of Baltimore's midtown just a few blocks from some of the wilder streets familiar to fans of The Wire. He has been here for three years, and in that time he has observed that open-mouthed curiosity about black Brits become something of a phenomenon. Idris Elba had started it, with his scene-stealing portrayal of Stringer Bell, the aspirational drug dealer in The Wire, but lately, with Elba's uncanny portrayal of Nelson Mandela in Long Walk to Freedom, and Steve McQueen's Oscar-tipped 12 Years a Slave starring Chiwetel Ejiofor, the influx is headline news.

"It has got to the point," Kwei-Armah suggests, "where the African American has started to become a little defensive in terms of the black Brit. I'm not sure that until recently they really knew we existed. People here discovered quite late on in The Wire's success that Idris was British. It shocked people, his accent was so good, he was such a superstar. And then they realised there were others: David Oyelowo [star of Jack Reacher and Lincoln and The Butler] coming through and Chiwi [Ejiofor]. It was like they were being invaded."

Kwei-Armah is often canvassed for his opinion on this phenomenon. He has had university cultural studies professors in here asking, "What is it about you guys, do you think you are a cut above or something?" He's heard American black actors and directors imply that the reason Brits are getting jobs is that they are "black other" and not as threatening as African Americans might be to those making decisions (they are also, pertinently, often not bound by quite the same labour laws). Before starting any new rehearsal these days he has become accustomed to cracking a joke: "Listen, don't believe what you've heard: I'm not here to take your jobs and your women." A keen student of racial comedies of manners, Kwei-Armah is amused by the fact that "all the stereotypes that used to attach to the Jewish community here, of culture and education and learning, have suddenly been attached to black Brits. We are given extra respect. It's hilarious really: we still cannot get through glass ceilings to save our lives back at home. But here we are natural Oscar contenders. You feel it when you walk down the street or into a room and start to speak. You have a currency.

much longer read at link:

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2014/feb/02/kwame-kwei-armah-center-stage

FreeMufasa

Still remember when I was in LA in a convenience store, convo went like this.

Clerk: *rings up my shit*
Me: cheers
Her: ...........can u say that again?
Me: cheers?
Her: OMG they have black people in the UK??!!!??

Anyway I waxed bare chicks over in the states cos of the accent. And my American cousins did the same in the UK cos of theirs

Dead Man

Just occasionally one gets a sense that a certain kind of white American feels slightly inferior to an RP British accent, but feels slightly superior to the African American. So when I speak they don't know what the fuck to think.

This pair of sentences has sold me on the guy. Fine rich voice, vocabulary, and pronunciation, and swears as well? Sign me up to his newsletter.

Edit: He makes some interesting points. Never really heard of him before, but thanks for posting this, OP.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Anyway I waxed bare chicks over in the states cos of the accent. And my American cousins did the same in the UK cos of theirs

And this is why the UK wins, we have a concept of the world beyond our noses.

PJV3

I wonder how Chris Eubank went down in the states, a black boxer galavanting around in plus fours etc.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Pfftwahahaa, how did you feel about that?

And this is why the UK wins, we have a concept of the world beyond our noses.

Indeed.

Dead Man

having an accent = keen sense of world awareness

the shit i learn

Please. You know the (incorrect but still amusing to me) point he was making. That an American didn't know there black people in Britain, not that having an accent makes you worldly. Everybody has an accent.

wildfire

Banned
Well it took long enough. British actors have always been ultra popular even before we started importing Canadians and Australians.

It's cool to have biases challenged but this:

Before starting any new rehearsal these days he has become accustomed to cracking a joke: "Listen, don't believe what you've heard: I'm not here to take your jobs and your women."

Gets under my skin because it's just an affirmation that some people in this country shouldn't belong.

Metallix87

So basically I should start speaking with a British accent.

Yeah, is that the point of this? That if black Americans all speak better English than white Americans, that they'll get more respect? I'm honestly not sure what he's getting at, exactly. Maybe he wants to bring about the end of "ebonics"?

I wish she said "OMG they have African Americans in the UK??"

jason10mm

Gold Member
There are plenty of English, Australian, and (if they count for this) Canadian actors taking all sorts of acting gigs in America, I don't think it is particular to the black community. I think the types of folks who get into acting in other countries is just different, the theater (where many start) is viewed differently. Most american actors have a model quality, while other countries produce actors with "interesting" looks. This, at least, was the rationale for all those non-Americans playing american soldiers in Blackhawk Down and I think it holds true.

blakep267

Yeah, is that the point of this? That if black Americans all speak better English than white Americans, that they'll get more respect? I'm honestly not sure what he's getting at, exactly. Maybe he wants to bring about the end of "ebonics"?
I think this is what he's getting at and it's a fairly old observation. People "look" at you different by the way that you speak and present yourselves. We all know this. That's why we gave a formal voice and a normal voice.

But to his other point, if people like to look down on others because of how they speak, then screw them. That's just they're own insecurity.

Gonzalez

Banned
So does this mean that the people that fantasy cast African-Brit Idris Elba in big Hollywood roles, instead of actual struggling to find work African-American actors, are in fact... *Gulp* Sort of racist?

As a (half) black Brit who has spent extended time in the US, he is 100% right. I've seen people's attitudes to me - from work colleagues to servers in a restaurant and the like, change on a dime as soon as I speak. The weird moment of staring-at-your-mouth he describes totally sometimes happens, too.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
No you're right, but it shows a prejudice when we want the one with the classy accent, instead of say Sticky Fingaz. Maybe accentist?

accents are a class indicator though, much like in the UK. If someone can speak using the 'correct' sounds, chances are you'll perceive them as being of middle/upper class. Because the UK accent is so alien to the US I can totally see how it fucks with those class structures.

Pronouncing the letter T is our superpower as a nation.

Ikael

No you're right, but it shows a prejudice when we want the one with the classy accent, instead of say Sticky Fingaz. Maybe accentist?

I have always had the impression that a big part of the discrimination that African Americans suffer comes from classs and education, even moreso than race per se. This kind of shock and change of attitudes when seeing a black man speak with British accent seems to point into that direction, me thinks.

Dali

Hard to keep reading when his first quote is some bs about Americans thinking of themselves as a classless society. Then going on to think he's giving us a little known nugget of truth like many people conflate race and class.

Mesousa

Banned
Hard to keep reading when his first quote is some bs about Americans thinking of themselves as a classless society. Then going on to think he's giving us a little known nugget of truth like many people conflate race and class.

Its true though the average American is always on some BS bootstrap no class shit when people try to bring up the inherent class structure in this country.

wildfire

Banned
There are plenty of English, Australian, and (if they count for this) Canadian actors taking all sorts of acting gigs in America, I don't think it is particular to the black community.

No it isn't specific to that community but this is a very recent event compared to the influx of British actors in the 80s and Aussies in 00s.

As a (half) black Brit who has spent extended time in the US, he is 100% right. I've seen people's attitudes to me - from work colleagues to servers in a restaurant and the like, change on a dime as soon as I speak. The weird moment of staring-at-your-mouth he describes totally sometimes happens, too.

I have also observed the mouth staring with Brits in general regardless of ethnicity but it definitely lasts longer with those who aren't white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom