• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kylie Jenner's Kylie Cosmetics Is on It's Way to Becoming a Billion Dollar Brand

lenovox1

(Source, People Magazine)

kylie-cosmetics-fb.jpg

While Kylie Jenner may have admitted on her new reality show The Life of Kylie that life in the spotlight makes her feel “insane,” she’s also clearly using it to her own professional advantage, founding an extremely lucrative cosmetics empire despite being only 19-years-old. And as Women’s Wear Daily reported on Wednesday, it seems Kylie Cosmetics isn’t just profitable, it’s pace-setting, blowing past other competitive beauty brands in the industry to rake in $420 million over the course of the last 18 months alone.

To give that astronomical figure just a little more context, according to WWD, comparable brands managed by major cosmetic companies like the Estée Lauder owned Tom Ford is said to have reached revenues of $500 million after a decade, and it’s considered to be one of the makeup conglomerate’s most successful brands. Likewise, Bobbi Brown, a brand with household name recognition that’s also owned by Lauder, took 25 years before hitting the one billion dollar milestone in just 2016. And even L’Oréal’s Lancôme took 80 years to make that amount by 2015.

Kris Jenner shared these astronomical figures with WWD during an exclusive interview, providing the publication with documentation and explaining that since there was a three-month lag between the first drop in November 2015 and the second in February 2016 they technically don’t count that time in between as there was no product to sell while they developed their production partnership with Seed Beauty. Since the first official drop of products with Seed in February 2016, however, the brand has gone from creating a limited test run of only 15,000 units, to 500,000 units of all six shades three months later, to a staggering 300,000 units of each individual product.

[...]

Based on their last product launch, they may even be on track to beat those estimates.

Kris Jenner is a mother fucking genius.

(Image source, Teen Vogue)

studyguy

There's a contract cosmetics factory next to where I work, talked to the plant manager of the place and they basically run exclusively on her product contracts. Massive operation just packing blushes alone, must move since that guy has expanded operations past year and runs 24/7 now to keep up.

I mean I don't know how you gauge production vs return but it must be moving hard. Surprised more of them didn't launch full cosmetic brands.

Nerokis

I know of a teenage girl in Colombia who started crying because her mom refused to buy her one of Kylie's lip products, as she felt like she'd stand out among her friends if she didn't use it.

This news doesn't really surprise me.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
So is it because of her exposure? What kind of marketing is she Kris doing that her cosmetics are so popular?

OCD Guy

Respect the hustle.

I remember when I thought they would disappear like Paris did.

Paris was in the spot light for a long time. Everyone drops off at some point.

Anyway it's good that they're making their own money, but my god did she have it all on a plate.

It's not as though Kylie started from nothing...

Pachimari

I'm happy for her and their entire family. Congratulation!

Everything they do around their businesses is incredible work.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Fucking millennials.

Kenai

I'm not gonna dispute how good or bad the product itself is, but that cover art would be right at home in a horror setting.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
It's apparently absolute garbage quality product. The power of a name when you've gotten millions of naive children to worship you.

jmdajr

Cosmetic surgeons are grateful. There has probbaly never been so many booty implants in the history of our species.

The “Mother!” crew knew how to keep Lawrence’s spirits up, and they assembled a “Kardashian tent” where she could unwind and immerse herself in the world of reality TV.

“It was a tent that had pictures of the Kardashians and ‘Keeping Up with the Kardashians’ playing on a loop—and gumballs,” Lawrence said. “My happy place.”

Jennifer Lawrence gets through life idolizing these people...just in case people think it's only young dumb pre-teens

Good for her but low key I want Rihanna's brand to smash this. Kind of tired of the I want to be black without being black madness this family has exploited.

I guess the Jenner side of the family still remain the only ones who have actually done or created something to justify their own fame

This family, with their reality show, and the scandals, and all their money and fame, as well as their skill at exploiting black people and blackness for their own gain is a perfect microcosm of American culture.

Kisaya

I admittedly own several of her lipsticks, it took me a while to jump into the bandwagon but I caved after the Reign metal lipstick came out. I was into the mattes for a while but then transitioned into the velvet formula. Really like the nudes colors, specifically Ginger and Commando from the Vacation Edition set.

Top Bottom