• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Times: Raven And Sledgehammer Helping Finish Modern Warfare 3 For Fall Release

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The L.A. Times has put up a report stating that Raven and Sledgehammer are helping to finish Modern Warfare 3 in time for a Fall 2011 release.

They also say that this has delayed the spin-off Sledgehammer was originally working on.

This would explain why Sledgehammer's game seemingly changed from an action adventure to a first person shooter.

L.A. Times said:
Activision calls in reinforcements for next Call of Duty game
January 20, 2011 | 11:34 am

When the heads of Infinity Ward, the game development studio that created the hit Call of Duty series, were fired last March and most of their top talent quit soon after, publisher Activision Blizzard, said it didn't expect the turmoil to affect operations.

However, Infinity Ward's operations apparently have been affected enough that it has called in reinforcements to make the next Call of Duty military game. The studio was able to pull off prior games without aid, as it did with 2008's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and 2006's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

Activision has quietly tapped Sledgehammer Games, a Northern California studio, to help out with the making of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, according to people familiar with the situation. The game has not been officially announced by Activision. But the title is well into production and is expected to come out in November, the same month that the publisher has annually released a new Call of Duty installment, people with knowledge of situation said. Modern Warfare 3 will be the first game Infinity Ward has produced since the departure of of company co-founders Jason West and Vince Zampella.

People close to the matter said Infinity Ward is working closely with Sledgehammer, which is led by a team recruited away from Activision's rival Electronic Arts Inc. The two studios are equally sharing duties of producing the single-player portion of the game, the sources said.

Activision has also brought in Wisconsin-based Raven Software, which is working on the online multi-player elements for Modern Warfare 3, sources said.

The decision to seek outside help is a departure for Activision, which in the past has left Infinity Ward alone to develop the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare games. The approach paid off, as the last two Modern Warfare games sold 13 million and 20 million units, respectively.

But pulling in the Sledgehammer team to help out on Modern Warfare 3 is creating a domino effect by forcing Activision to delay the start of production on a new Call of Duty spin-off game that the studio had begun working on before the upheaval at Infinity Ward, the people said.

This isn't just war games, as it were. Producing Call of Duty games on an annual schedule is critical to Activision. It's one of two franchises -- along with World of Warcraft -- upon which the video game giant is dependent for most of its revenue. So missing a release date or rushing out a game before it's ready could upset the company's projected revenue.

Call of Duty: Black Ops, produced by Activision studio Treyarch in 2010, was the best-selling video game in the U.S. last year, as was Modern Warfare 2 in 2009.

A spokesman for Activision declined to comment.
Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ent...newsandbuzz+(News+&+Buzz)&utm_content=Twitter

Mr_Brit

Banned
DOA.

COD players aren't as braindead as Activision would like to believe. Most Black Ops players know that it was made by the B studio and they'll know that MW3 is being made by some no name company this year. You can expect sales to be nowhere near Black Ops/MW2 levels.

eso76

i hope it sells a grand total of 12 copies and activision goes bankrupt.

i hope Bizarre then buys activision and fires kotick.
then hires him back with the sole purpose of firing him again. 16 times.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
heringer said:
I enjoyed Black Ops, but I think I'm done with Call of Duty for at least 3 years.
Same here. There needs to be some time for the new devs to acclimate plus, this year especially, there are a ton of other shooters coming out. I hope that Treyarch doesn't get too burned out on CoD either.

spats

eso76 said:
i hope it sells a grand total of 12 copies and activision goes bankrupt.

i hope Bizarre then buys activision and fires kotick.
then hire him back with the sole purpose of firing him again. 16 times.

Watch it sell 12 million... on one platform.

Traded in Black Ops yesterday. I swear I am done buying Call of Duty titles until the next-gen kicks in and until there is a massive change in the game. Black Ops was good, by the way. Modern Warfare 2 isn't, and from the sounds of it it will be Modern Warfare 2.1459

Hellshadow said:
Bioshock 2 turned out fine with multiple devs.

So did Medal of Honor. [/sarc]

Ramirez

Mr_Brit said:
DOA.

COD players aren't as braindead as Activision would like to believe. Most Black Ops players know that it was made by the B studio and they'll know that MW3 is being made by some no name company this year. You can expect sales to be nowhere near Black Ops/MW2 levels.

Odd that a "B" studio out did the "A" studio in pretty much every facet of the MP.

KAP151

heringer said:
I enjoyed Black Ops, but I think I'm done with Call of Duty for at least 3 years.

Yep, unless there are some new and exciting additions, COD is about wrapped up for me.

Darklord

Banned
heringer said:

People think CoD is unstoppable but I really think MW3 will be it's last super hit. After that and it's lack of Infinity Ward polish, and it most likely being identical to the last 15 CoD games people will get sick of it.

You know when you look at it, Actvision are fucking awful at business. They don't give a shit about their IP's or developers. They milk it dry and toss it away assuming they'll get another big hit. So far...no new big hit. They got lucky and that's it. Aside from CoD and WoW they pump out bombs and end up shutting developers down. And in my opinion CoD has 3 years left at most before being in the same slump as Tony Hawk.

Grisby

Hellshadow said:
Bioshock 2 turned out fine with multiple devs.

Yeah, I don't think multiple devs are a problem as long as it can stay cohesive. The only game I can think of right now where things were so different was Medal of Honor, what with the multi being done by DICE and on a different engine no less.

But I'm done with COD for a while as well. I played the MP very little and have gotten tired of the SP after Blops.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Ramirez said:
Odd that a "B" studio out did the "A" studio in pretty much every facet of the MP.

That's like...... your opinion man.

Your opinion is wrong.

Mr_Brit said:
DOA.

That's a lot of wishful thinking. If we're being honest then it's pretty clear that CoD is showing no signs of slowing down, and Black Ops was the best example of that. It was a game from the B studio, but fans didn't give a shit. Treyarch said all the right things leading up to launch and Activision marketed the hell out of it. That's all that was needed. Expect the launch of this to be no different.

Call of Duty: Black Ops, produced by Activision studio Treyarch in 2010, was the best-selling video game in the U.S. last year, as was Modern Warfare 2 in 2009.

And it will probably be the same this year

Lets be honest, how poor would this game need to be at release to not be the highest selling game this year? Unless New Super Mario Brothers hits this summer the three devs could poop it out and it will sell millions.

Nice to see that Raven is still around I suppose. Better than map packs or closure...

This is going to be fun to watch. Remains of once a great team getting help from 2 C-class teams! Sounds like it's gonna end up great.

Mr_Brit said:
DOA.

I don't know about that. The average COD player I've encountered (in real life and not on enthusiast message boards, mind you) neither knows nor cares which studio made what game and with what kind of drama behind it.

I'm not sure they even care how good the game is.

Mr_Brit said:
DOA.

Then why did Black Ops sell so much? Especially since all the COD players aren't braindead, they must have known after WaW that Treyarch is shit right? COD will continue to sell regardless of who is developing it.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I didn't enjoy Black Ops, and this game is going to have to do a lot to win me over. That's probably not going to happen. Multiple developers can be fine when rehashing an existing formula; they're not as good at pushing things forward.

Massa

Mr_Brit said:
Man I wish we still had the laughing smiley.

You'd be misusing it (trying to ridicule a post with a "lol" instead of posting an intelligent argument). That's exactly why we don't have it anymore.

Lots of games are worked on by multiple teams. If you don't like the Bioshock 2 example you can take Assassin's Creed or several other Ubisoft games, some games from Rockstar, etc.

Enosh

akilshohen said:
Modern Warfare 2 was 2009.
and modern warfare 1 was 2007 and call of duty 2 was 2005, try to gues the year of call of duty 1 release

so your point being?

rezuth

Mr_Brit said:
DOA.

It will sell better than Black Ops on the name alone.

Also, Raven in my COD? BRING IT! :)

AAK

Kotick hard at work

rg-cartoon-1c.png

I'll still be a bit interested in seeing what they do with it, but I think I'm finally done with Call of Duty. Black Ops was okay but didn't keep my interest for very long.

WJD

Mr_Brit said:
DOA.

I think you severely overestimate the intelligence and knowledge of your average COD player.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Darkshier said:
Then why did Black Ops sell so much? Especially since all the COD players aren't braindead, they must have known after WaW that Treyarch is shit right? COD will continue to sell regardless of who is developing it.

Serious?

WaW and Black Ops were both miles better than the clusterfuck that was MW2.

Top Bottom