• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Rindain said:
Why isn't there more outrage in this thread? Doesn't anyone realize how much this sucks?

Honestly, who really thinks that developers will take advantage of a hard drive that in all likelyhood only a small percentage of the user-base will own?

We are currently in the phase

denial.gif

with some transitioning

anger.gif

Edit:
Actually, i'm not sure we will see any transitioning into Acceptance.. for a while at least

Mupepe

Banned
Bebpo said:
Pretty much.

But then again we should've expected this since they were telling developers that the games had to run even if there was no hard drive inserted.
But that's mincing words because everyone took that as, "well, it's a detachable hard drive, of course it's not always going to be there" They really jumbled their message with this.

p.s. is jumbled a word? i'm so pissed

Ironclad

Bebpo said:
Pretty much.

But then again we should've expected this since they were telling developers that the games had to run even if there was no hard drive inserted.
I was expecting them to remove the harddrive from the package a little later in the 360's life, but it seems they did it right off the bat. Bad move, very bad move IMO.

Ceb

ManaByte said:
Uh, no. The PS2 didn't, but that didn't stop import places marking it up to $800-$1000.

That's right, the PS2 retailed for 39,800 yen. You're suggesting that the PS3 would reach price levels that are 100% higher.

_Angelus_

Banned
AniHawk...so what will a used PSP get me through store credit at GameStop? $160 And do they buy San Disk Pro Duo memory cards used? I have no use for it now.

Borys

Banned
+1 for Juice, YTMND!
wait make that +1000 :lol

Next-gen = expensive. PS3 will retail for $399 easily. Then MS drops the price of the HDD-pack to $349 (not $299) and THEN hilarity ensues.

Way to splinter the market MS, way to go. Xbox pioneered lots of things and this is like taking a step backwards. Taking step backwards = Nintendo's route.

PS3 is still on target for Total World Domination.

element

Rindain said:
Honestly, who really thinks that developers will take advantage of a hard drive that in all likelyhood only a small percentage of the user-base will own?
People I've talked too say they are doing certain things with the HDD, just not building their game around it. Offloading, precache, and other stuff.

Bebpo

Banned
Rhindle said:
Heh, if people are upset about this, I can't wait till PS3 pricing is announced.

Except that with all Kutaragi's "it'll be expensive" and articles saying "it'll be $500", when it comes out at $400 everyone will be going "OMG it's so much cheaper than we expected, Sony is awesome!".

MS's problem is that they led everyone to believe they would be releasing the system at a great price with all the goodies included so of course the truth isn't as sweet.

Ceb

thorns said:
$300 for xbox 360, even without HDD and wireless stuff is a great price. You all bought PS2s without HDD, wireless etc. for $300 too 5 years ago and xbox 360 offers more than the PS2, without taking into account inflation etc. With Xbox you got a hdd for $300 but that was an extreme situation unlikely ever to happen in the industry.

Myself I was expecting $350-400 with HDD and that to be the only SKU. It's cool that they're having a barebones pack as well.

I would be very surprised if PS3 launches at $300 in ANY form.

Nice spin. The PS2 at least offered an "luxury" extra in the form of DVD playback. Standard pack of X360 gives us... what?

Note: It's not that I think any of the price points are unaffordable, but I think MS could've included some more "value" in both packages.

pilonv1

Rhindle said:
Heh, if people are upset about this, I can't wait till PS3 pricing is announced.

But Sony loves gamers and will give them hard drives, ethernet cables, wireless controllers and a carton of Pocky for $299. How dare you say such a thing.

This generation has proved that people will pay for things regardless of price. All they're doing now is artificially increasing the percieved value of the console, no different from the PSP launch.

thorns

Banned
Seriously, anyone expected them to release at $300 WITH HDD, wireless, remote etc?
I can't believe anyone was naive enough to believe that.

Nice spin. The PS2 at least offered an "luxury" extra in the form of DVD playback. Standard pack of X360 gives us... what?

Note: It's not that I think any of the price points are unaffordable, but I think MS could've included some more "value" in both packages.

You can play media off any usb device, stream off stuff from media center, music visualizer, online play out of the box(ps2 didn't have that, remember?) etc. I don't know if x360 will play dvds without the remote.

B'z-chan

Banned
Better have some content on that damn HDD MS. I want demos or Halo 2 or some shit. Or how about a full hdd with a game and a bunch of demos and movies and crap. really blow the shit out of just giving us a damn HDD. I will pay the 400 bucks as long as the HDD comes with stuff on it.

That was the mistake with Sony and MS this gen. They both had HDD's yet they didnt use it very well. They both should have come with demos and crap.

Now bring on the REV and PS3 please next gen me cants wait.

Rhindle

Borys said:
+1 for Juice, YTMND!
wait make that +1000 :lol

Next-gen = expensive. PS3 will retail for $399 easily. Then MS drops the price of the HDD-pack to $349 (not $299) and THEN hilarity ensues.

Way to splinter the market MS, way to go. Xbox pioneered lots of things and this is like taking a step backwards. Taking step backwards = Nintendo's route.

PS3 is still on target for Total World Domination.
Eh, the $299 package will exist for a limited time, and in small quantities. It's there just to be able to say that the console was priced at $299.

dorio

Banned
thorns said:
$300 for xbox 360, even without HDD and wireless stuff is a great price. You all bought PS2s without HDD, wireless etc. for $300 too 5 years ago and xbox 360 offers more than the PS2, without taking into account inflation etc. With Xbox you got a hdd for $300 but that was an extreme situation unlikely ever to happen in the industry.

Myself I was expecting $350-400 with HDD and that to be the only SKU. It's cool that they're having a barebones pack as well.

I would be very surprised if PS3 launches at $300 in ANY form.
Good logic there, but I disagree that it's good to have that barebones one. I would much preferred them have the lowest sku include a hardrive for $360. Maybe they are saying screw old xbox owners, let's go after the ps2 owners who expect less for more.

_Angelus_

Banned
Theres this 90 year old lady that stares at me when I come back from my daily jog. I suppose Microsoft has put me in a compromising position now. How the hell am I ever going to put up with the smell of of Ben Gay and moth balls:/

Ironclad

thorns said:
Seriously, anyone expected them to release at $300 WITH HDD, wireless, remote etc?
Nope, just expecting the console with HDD and wireless controller for $300. I hd my doubts to begin with but this would have been an ideal package. Especially if they're bragging about the wireless controllers.

Andvary

thorns said:

most xbots expected that.

KingJ2002

here's hoping microsoft cuts a deal with xbox live... ya know... sign up for 2 years with xbox live gold... get 100 dollars off or something.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ceb said:

They should have included at least the headset in the standard package. It still comes with the free Silver Live right? Or the HDD omission means you dont get that either? You'll be probably able to save your profile on a Memory Card right? And what about the out of the box backwards compatibility?

Izzy

Banned
thorns said:

Barnimal said:
you guys and your stupid conspiracy theories make my head hurt. its been OFFICIALLY (j allard)stated numerous times that MS only plans to launch 1 configuration of the xbox and theres already a SKU...1 SKU mind you for the 360 at retailers. Why is it so hard to understand that theres only 1 at launch when all the facts are already there? geez. 360 with hard drive and all the crap you need to run the damn thing for ~299. thats it. theres no 200 gig drive, no HD DVD at launch no insane bundle for $100 more, no 360 WITHOUT an HDD.

There are more ... :lol

argon

I hope this isn't true. I was really looking forward to getting an X360 but theres no way i'd buy one at $399 at launch. The most i'll go is $300 with the HDD included.

With both Microsoft and Sony in a pricy console tech war, I really feel like they are pricing themselves out of that casual market which they so prize.. It just seems like casuals will think twice before dropping $400 on a console + $50-$60 for a game, no matter how cool it is.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
pilonv1 said:
But Sony loves gamers and will give them hard drives, ethernet cables, wireless controllers and a carton of Pocky for $299. How dare you say such a thing.

Nope, the 299.99 package will contain just the PS3, in fact it may very well be 349.99 (but I don't expect 399.99, not without something else)

Simple logic made this apparent a long time ago, people just expected MS to continue to bleed cash cause they have so much, and did it with the xbox.

TTP said:
They should have included at least the headset in the standard package. It still comes with the free Silver Live right? Or the HDD omission means you dont get that either? You'll be probably able to save your profile on a Memory Card right? And what about the out of the box backwards compatibility?

It was confirmed awhile ago that your profile can be saved on the memory card

seanoff

I'm now expecting the PS3 to launch at $350 with the normal PS pack. 1 blue tooth controller, console. Same as the PS2 pack basically. BR/DVD/CD controlled from the controller. Everything else optional accessory.

Gives Sony wiggle room they may not have been expecting.

Of course i could be completely wrong one way or the other.

Note for Aussie members. 400 Euro will give a price of $650AUD (OUCH)

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Sale -1. I'll just let one of my roommates pick it up and be bent over by this dual-SKU business.

Bad move.

_Angelus_

Banned
I was expecting $330 to be honest. $70 more isn't that bad I guess,its just disapointing is all,I'll certainly buy one. Its just another means of gauging from our favorite entertainments,still sucks the big one,ALOT.

Bebpo

Banned
KingJ2002 said:

here's hoping microsoft cuts a deal with xbox live... ya know... sign up for 2 years with xbox live gold... get 100 dollars off or something.

X360 good package $399
2nd wireless controller $30-35
Xbox live gold $50?

after tax that's gonna go over $500 before you even buy a single game. They better have some kind of special deal on live at that price. Heck, the $399 version should give a full year of live IMO.

demi

Angelus said:
Theres this 90 year old lady that stares at me when I come back from my daily jog. I suppose Microsoft has put me in a compromising position now. How the hell am I ever going to put up with the smell of of Ben Gay and moth balls:/

CLOSE YOUR EYES AND JUST GO FOR IT

Who knows, maybe she'll die! Life insurance!

sangreal

thorns said:

I didn't expect (though I did hope for) $300, but there are many values between $300 and $400. Throw in a year (or some months atleast) of XBL gold and maybe we'll talk.

Suikoguy

Idioteque said:
Over at ign everyone is claiming this to be fake.

Like I said at the top of this page, phase one

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
So does the $399 come with a wireless adapter or not? its not in the picture. If it just comes with an ethernet cable that's fucking weak, unless it's like 200ft long or something.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Idioteque said:
Over at ign everyone is claiming this to be fake.

This is not fake, it's absolutely true:

- 2 SKUs
- One aggressively priced without HDD - 299e
- One expensive with HDD and some extra stuff - 399e

I didn't hear an exact list of the extra stuff, but seems to be the headset at least. Wired controller in basic set was a big surprise to me.

dorio

Banned
How will that pos look without a harddrive on top? Will it have some type of filler unit that doesn't have hd inside?

Suikoguy

Demigod Mac said:
Could you install a HDD into the $299 version? Add-on perhaps?

Yes, the HDD will be sold seperatly, although no price has been annouced.

Ceb

Suikoguy said:
Nope, the 299.99 package will contain just the PS3, in fact it may very well be 349.99 (but I don't expect 399.99, not without something else)

I think the standard pack will be $399 (with Blu-ray, one wireless controller, backward compability).

pilonv1

That's my point. Sony proved this generation people will pay for accessories. Memory cards, hard drives, network adapters, Eye Toys, Singstarse etc... Microsoft would be stupid not to jump in on it. The market has shown it is willing to pay for these items and the free ride is over. This will be a great thread to revist for the PS3 price launch.

Top Bottom