• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady Gaga - Super Bowl LI Half-Time Performer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaga's gonna kill it live with her Whitney-esque vocals.
image.php

The only thing Whitney-esque about Gaga is the extensive drug use.
Ouch...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As someone who has only vaguely brushed against "PopGAF", I have to say that it's amusing that a thread announcing an event can't even go one page without a devolution into infighting. I mean, far be it from me to judge passionate fans, but the clique you belong to doesn't present itself well to outsiders when you trip over yourselves to argue about how wrong you all are. Granted, that's hardly a unique attribute -- but, in my experience, it does seem far more common among discussions relating to pop music than even the hot topic of the moment over in Gaming Side Land. Again, though, I don't mean to cast aspersions; just making an observation.

(Gaga is talented, though. ;))

As someone who has only vaguely brushed against "PopGAF", I have to say that it's amusing that a thread announcing an event can't even go one page without a devolution into infighting. I mean, far be it from me to judge passionate fans, but the clique you belong to doesn't present itself well to outsiders when you trip over yourselves to argue about how wrong you all are. Granted, that's hardly a unique attribute -- but, in my experience, it does seem far more common among discussions relating to pop music than even the hot topic of the moment over in Gaming Side Land. Again, though, I don't mean to cast aspersions; just making an observation.

(Gaga is talented, though. ;))

It's sort of a running inside joke for POPGAF to routinely shit on pop stars mentioned in the OT that they don't love. It's in jest but it's also annoying as fuck.

Gaga's talent is honestly second only to Beyonce in the pop world (even though, unlike Beyonce, she writes all her own shit and actually composes) so she's gonna kill it.

I wouldn't be surprised if she brought along KISS or Iron Maiden or something to balance out her inevitable queerness so that straight dudes don't tune out.

border

I wouldn't be surprised if she brought along KISS or Iron Maiden or something to balance out her inevitable queerness so that straight dudes don't tune out.

Hasn't she given up on all the theatrics, costumes, and gender-bending weirdness and just become a normal pop star now? The video for Perfect Illusion looks really generic. I feel like the Superbowl appearance is just part of a campaign to make her seem more normal and everyday.

Hasn't she given up on all the theatrics, costumes, and gender-bending weirdness and just become a normal pop star now? The video for Perfect Illusion looks really generic. I feel like the Superbowl appearance is just part of a campaign to make her seem more normal and everyday.

Right now the mask is off, but she shuffles aesthetics so often that I wouldn't be surprised if she incorporates her classic styles on stage. I think she needed a buffer by going normal-core for a bit so that audiences don't immediately default to "oh this again."

.JayZii

Banned
She can put on a show, so this seems like a good fit.

Maybe they were testing the waters of public reaction by having her do the national anthem.

Madness

If you ever want to break into the industry, hire Lady Gaga's managers and PR reps. Her 15 minutes of fame were long up but they pushed and pushed her into random tributes for Julie Andrews at the Oscars (she got more screen time than Oscar nominated artists that year), Kirsten Dunst demolished her in acting for the golden globe but everyone knew Gaga would win, etc.

Are you honestly telling me, with her hits and relevance as of 2017, she deserves the Super Bowl Halftime performance?

border

Are you honestly telling me, with her hits and relevance as of 2017, she deserves the Super Bowl Halftime performance?

When has relevance ever really been a barometer for halftime performers? They have always booked popular artists who were well past their prime. Coldplay in 2016, Bruno Mars in 2014, Madonna in 2012, Black-Eyed Peas in 2011, The Who in 2010, Bruce Springsteen in 2009, Tom Petty in 2008. The entire criteria for the booking is basically "Were you popular a long time ago, but haven't had a hit in 5 years or more?"

SURGEdude

If you ever want to break into the industry, hire Lady Gaga's managers and PR reps. Her 15 minutes of fame were long up but they pushed and pushed her into random tributes for Julie Andrews at the Oscars (she got more screen time than Oscar nominated artists that year), Kirsten Dunst demolished her in acting for the golden globe but everyone knew Gaga would win, etc.

Well the Goldfarbs are gonna be pissed. They've had her booked to perform at their son's bar-mitzvah since she was still selling out middle-school sock hop dances way back.

Meowster

There have been far less deserving performers.

What kind of thinly veiled misogynistic fucking attitude is this? None of her success and relevance has to do with her own talent or work ethic right? Thank God she has her managers and PR team to keep her afloat
because she can't possibly be resilient or successful 8 years into the game based on her own merits. This attitude just comes off as cruel to me.

She earned this gig because she's a pop culture icon and has a killer catalogue to match. Why go out of your way to downplay her accomplishments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom