• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady Slaughterpunch The Guttinator (the pet praying mantis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davedough

When you put Lady Slaughterpunch the Guttinator into her domicile, did you have her facing forward? I hear that can create a cruel, stressful and terrifying experience.

thespot84

Davedough said:
When you put Lady Slaughterpunch the Guttinator into her domicile, did you have her facing forward? I hear that can create a cruel, stressful and terrifying experience.

LOL Fucking love you GAF, never change

notsol337

marked forever
Well, I hate to say it, but the cat is much bigger than said mantis. However, the spirit of Captain Badass will imbue her with unearthly power, and Lady Slaughterpunch should be springing back any time now.

shaowebb

sigh...
Mantis died...I think I got trolled by life on this one. I so wanted another mantis and to do this again for everyone.

Now I mourn 2 mantids (manti).

*goes to sulk and leaves thread filled with disappointment*

yencid

shaowebb said:
sigh...
Mantis died...I think I got trolled by life on this one. I so wanted another mantis and to do this again for everyone.

subV4.jpg

Roche

shaowebb said:
sigh...

You have my deepest condolences, Lady Slaughterpunch The Guttinator was far too badass for this world.

R.I.P. :(

If you are serious about mantids, I suggest you buy a badass giant indian mantis at a reptile fair or something like that. Females live 6-8 months as adults, and you can keep them on a potted plant in your room, they won't move away.
I miss mine...enthroned on a ficus tree, it used to be the guardian of my domicile :(
hierodulaaufhand.jpg

(Not mine, but the same species)

shaowebb

I am now going online to find where I can buy a mantis. It really sucks that she died 2 days after I found her and I'm tired of not having a mantis.

Anyone who supports the idea of me getting a mantis feel free to post links to sites I can order from that'll ship to America. Be them basic or exotic mantis I care not. I will carry on the legacy of the Captain as a keeper of mantids for your enjoyment GAF.

daw840

scar tissue said:
R.I.P. :(

If you are serious about mantids, I suggest you buy a badass giant indian mantis at a reptile fair or something like that. Females live 6-8 months as adults, and you can keep them on a potted plant in your room, they won't move away.
I miss mine...enthroned on a ficus tree, it used to be the guardian of my domicile :(
hierodulaaufhand.jpg

(Not mine, but the same species)

That's awesome. How do you feed it? I wouldn't want to put crickets on a potted plant in my house

shaowebb

Update:

I found a seller of every mantis ever

I mourn for the Lady of Slaughtery Punchinatins. Her guttinating ways will forever frighten felines of WV.

However, the army is about to grow. I will be buying a mantis from that site and if you have links to other sellers of other variants I'll check them out as well. It'd be great if I can afford a Idolomantis diabolica because that thing looks like it wants to fuck something up immediately. I'd have to learn to cultivate blue bottle flies to feed it though, but I would then be able to film a mantis killing airborne prey.

I will return with a mantis GAF. I'm just sorry Lady Slaughterpunch The Guttinator was beyond saving when I found her.

shaowebb said:
Update:

I found a seller of every mantis ever

I mourn for the Lady of Slaughtery Punchinatins. Her guttinating ways will forever frighten felines of WV.

However, the army is about to grow. I will be buying a mantis from that site and if you have links to other sellers of other variants I'll check them out as well. It'd be great if I can afford a Idolomantis diabolica because that thing looks like it wants to fuck something up immediately. I'd have to learn to cultivate blue bottle flies to feed it though, but I would then be able to film a mantis killing airborne prey.

I will return with a mantis GAF. I'm just sorry Lady Slaughterpunch The Guttinator was beyond saving when I found her.
I think it time to at least consider the possibility that the Cap put a clutch of eggs in your brian and as planted you as a sleeper agent against humanity. Think about it. Plus side, Planet of the Manti could be fun.

shaowebb

PaddyOCanager said:
You must get that mantis. That thing is unholy.

i_diabolica200.jpg

I know. I really want to, but its $45 plus shipping and flies. I may be forced into buying something else due to my funds.

shuri

Banned
You interrupted her fight to the death with the cat. In the world of mantis, this is a terrible shame upon her and her lineage. She was not wounded in combat, but she decided to stop to go on a hunger strike until death to amend for the failure of the cat fight.

What have you done?

shuri said:
You interrupted her fight to the death with the cat. In the world of mantis, this is a terrible shame upon her and her lineage. She was not wounded in combat, but she decided to stop to go on a hunger strike until death to amend for the failure of the cat fight.

What have you done?

OMFG!!! She commits honorable suicide =(

shaowebb

shuri said:

What have you done?

My GOD you're right...what have I done! O_O

Also, as much as I want to buy the Devil's Flower Mantis I realize that for the sake of the mantis I need to be able to spend the time needed on the upkeep. Unfortunately the rearing of fly maggots is actually a pain and the temperature regulation needs and moisture regulation needs of the species are quite tricky and easily incur fungal infection.

This WILL happen eventually Gaf, but not on my next mantis. I will gain more experience first with Mantids before I attempt a mantis with heavy maintenance restrictions on climate and food prep, but when this guy happens all hell will be unleashed.

For now I'm deciding between the Grizzled Mantis, the Thistle mantis, another Chinese or European Mantis, the Budwing Mantis, the Polyspillota aeruginosa, the Ghost Mantis or the African mantis.

So many to choose from...Hurray!

shaowebb said:
My GOD you're right...what have I done! O_O

Also, as much as I want to buy the Devil's Flower Mantis I realize that for the sake of the mantis I need to be able to spend the time needed on the upkeep. Unfortunately the rearing of fly maggots is actually a pain and the temperature regulation needs and moisture regulation needs of the species are quite tricky and easily incur fungal infection.

This WILL happen eventually Gaf, but not on my next mantis. I will gain more experience first with Mantids before I attempt a mantis with heavy maintenance restrictions on climate and food prep, but when this guy happens all hell will be unleashed.

For now I'm deciding between the Grizzled Mantis, the Thistle mantis, another Chinese or European Mantis, the Budwing Mantis, the Polyspillota aeruginosa, the Ghost Mantis or the African mantis.

So many to choose from...Hurray!

Ghost Mantis looks awesome!

shaowebb

Okay, after much reading and research my quest came down to 3 choices.

The Ghost Mantis (for being easy to feed and looking awesome at camo)
The Budwing Mantis (for being aggressive as fuck)
The Giant Hierodula multispina [ for being voracious (will eat anything ) and huge ]

After much debate and searching we have a winner.

sphrodomantisCentralis.jpg

Hierodula multispina!

Details: A nice size mantis from Africa and Asia, at almost 3".Sometimes referred to as the "Giant Asian Mantis" or "Giant African Mantis" while actually not being either (though a close relative to the Giant Asian Mantis) They are a green to molted brown. They are fun to watch and when scared will sway from side to side very quickly. They are a hungry bunch and eat very well.

This guy sounds large, vicious, and overall very active and fun to watch so it sounds great. The only reason I didn't settle upon Ghost Mantis though was its size is only 3-4cm. Same with the vicious Budwing.

So there you have it. I'll update as it ships and arrives and as I COMPLETELY REMODEL the Terrorium.

Video of the species
and another

shaowebb

yencid said:
will this one carry on the name?

Sadly no. I must again figure out another name that conveys the very essence of the mantis I receive. It sucks that this name didn't last very long, but honorable suicide is something you can't really argue with (story and stickin to it).

I'll come up with a new name and a new customized home and a name for it as well. Terrorium belonged to Captain Badass and served as a burial ground for Lady Slaughterpunch The Guttinator. It is time to create a new kingdom for the next generation.

I'll update the link to the new thread for each mantis by bumping the previous threads to aid those who subscribed to them.

Lady Slaughterpunch The Guttinator we knew ye for such a brief time, we did not know of your honorable ways but you have gone to valhalla to feast and wait for the Mantid Ragnarok. I raise my nalgene to you!

Also I'm considering getting a mantid now, they are just so fucking badass and I've been wanting a terriaum based pet.

shaowebb

Megalodactyl said:
Lady Slaughterpunch The Guttinator we knew ye for such a brief time, we did not know of your honorable ways but you have gone to valhalla to feast and wait for the Mantid Ragnarok. I raise my nalgene to you!

Also I'm considering getting a mantid now, they are just so fucking badass and I've been wanting a terriaum based pet.

DO IT.
DO IT.

Also, guess who found $65 on the ground the other day? ME! It is like a gift from the Gods or something. I already bought the giant multispina so "no" I wont be getting the Diabolica Idolomantis of awesomeness with it.

Instead I found a bitchin' sale and I got a 1080p HD Webcam (logitch C910!) with it to film the new mantis as it devours crickets in Glorious HD! Now if I can just get the thing to install without the computer I was putting it on continuously crashing all we be ready for the new mantis whose name I have already picked out and will reveal upon its arrival.

Get ready for livestreams on occasion GAF. Things are about to get cuddly.

shaowebb

Lactose_Intolerant said:
Get one of these instead
Mantis Shrimp

A thumb splitter? Sorry, but I'd rather not have something capable of clawing at the speed of a bullet that is somehow none of the species its name implies (neither a peacock, a mantis, or a shrimp).

I find creatures of the deep unwholesome and evil creatures spawned from the depths of hell itself. Stupid angler fish...

Its bizarre. I can feel deep affection when seeing a mantis slaughter a cat, but if you show me a deep ocean dweller my only thought is to grab a harpoon and gut it. I think I have the same hatred/fear of the deep that HP Lovecraft had or something.

On second thought I would If I could. That thing is way more fun to watch than I remembered. And smart.

shaowebb

DonMigs85 said:
I've heard those shrimp can actually destroy aquarium glass. Not for the faint of heart nor the house proud.

They can. You can hear this one from a FPS view hit the glass.

yencid said:
I say we name this MantidGaf

Sorry, but I have already picked the name of the new mantis. I am wanting to keep it a surprise for the next day or so until it arrives since its kind of a "wow" moment when you hear it. I don't want to deflate the lil dude by spoiling his name before the intro vid I do.

Rest assured, it is every bit as well thought out and appropriate as the names "Captain Badass" and "Lady Slaughterpunch The Guttinator" were.

yencid

haha no i mean the group. For example the people that go into the victorious thread/frequent it are called creepyGaf (points at avatar) the mantid ones should be CreepyGaf, or hispaniGaf for the old hispanic/latin thread

shaowebb

yencid said:
haha no i mean the group. For example the people that go into the victorious thread/frequent it are called creepyGaf (points at avatar) the mantid ones should be CreepyGaf, or hispaniGaf for the old hispanic/latin thread

CaptainGaf should work.

Also, I got a notice that my package is at the post office. I went and they said it was still on the truck and that the new mantis will be here at sometime between 3 and 5 TODAY.
I'll be home for lunch a little after 6 tonight. Unless this is the package for something I ordered for the tank expect vids TONIGHT and a new thread link to pop up here.

Is your body ready CaptainGaf?

shaowebb

UPDATE:

OH SHIT!!!!
Got home and shit is not as I expected Gaf! I've been busy my whole time here trying to settle things. Lets just say shit went DOWN.

My door is busted and all I can say is the mantis is here...and he brought reinforcements!!!!!

I gotta go back to work and I'm running late. I hope I don't get robbed or something while I'm gone, but the wife is working on getting someone here to fix the damage. New thread coming tonight with more info.

shaowebb said:
UPDATE:

OH SHIT!!!!
Got home and shit is not as I expected Gaf! I've been busy my whole time here trying to settle things. Lets just say shit went DOWN.

My door is busted and all I can say is the mantis is here...and he brought reinforcements!!!!!

I gotta go back to work and I'm running late. I hope I don't get robbed or something while I'm gone, but the wife is working on getting someone here to fix the damage. New thread coming tonight with more info.

Oh man, I can't wait. Sounds like a lot happened.

shaowebb

LINK TO THREAD

I'm posting the rest of this tale and all future tales back in the old Captain Badass thread now. A mod has been called to modify the thread title to make this known. Enjoy. I'm now gonna go and try to get rid of the shakes from today.

GOD...the shit I've been through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom