• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light |OT| - Play This GOTY Contender

gdt

I'm on a Tomb Raider kick now, and I'm kicking myself for missing the recent sale on this. I'll get it as soon as it goes down again.

Ellis Kim

Banned
I got this last Tuesday, convinced a friend to buy it too after couch co-oping the first few levels, and I just hundred-percent'd this mofo.

So. Much. Fun.

It really is such a great game. I'll totally buy the sequel at full price. Possibly some of the DLC, too.

border

Is this a good game to play through with a girlfriend? As in, the sort of girl that plays games, likes puzzle-solving stuff like Zelda, but might not be really good with things that require twitch skills or precise platforming?

border said:
Is this a good game to play through with a girlfriend? As in, the sort of girl that plays games, likes puzzle-solving stuff like Zelda, but might not be really good with things that require twitch skills or precise platforming?

Defintely, I played it with my ex (who loves the Tomb Raider games) and we had a blast. There's not a lot of precise platforming and such, there's a couple of times you'll have to react quickly to situations but it's mostly puzzle solving with some easy shooting parts in between.

daffy

Banned
border said:
Yes :)

border

randomlyrossy said:
Defintely, I played it with my ex (who loves the Tomb Raider games) and we had a blast.
I'm not sure how you could love the old TR titles without being pretty good at platforming. Some of those games were like having to perform a ballet at times.

So GoL is mostly just puzzle solving though?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
You and your girlfriend are going to love it. Guaranteed. It's mostly puzzle solving with a little bit of combat. There's platforming in it too, but it's not difficult.

jbttwin

What they said. Really it's a brilliant game and co-op makes it better no matter who you play it with. It's very fun and easy to get the hang of, anyone can pick it up easily.

So I've had this sat on my Steam since whenever this game went on sale (last Summer? Christmas?) and I've been meaning to play it for ages but I was waiting until I got a second 360 pad for my PC so that my girlfriend and I could co-op it. We realised we could just emulate one of our Dualshock 3 pads as a 360 pad today, however, when messing around with a PS2 emulator so we finally started it.

We're probably well over halfway through now, having just
escaped the big man eating fish that chases you
and we're both loving it. The puzzles are well thought out, if not overly challenging, the combat is just varied enough to stay interesting and the platforming feels great. I really can't imagine playing it with the A.I. as it's so fun to interact with each other and plan out what each person needs to do in any given situation. It reminds me a lot of playing Trine with her in that respect, which is high praise indeed.

Honestly, this is the first great Tomb Raider game I've played (well, Lara Croft game, I suppose) and as interested as I am in the reboot coming next year, I just want them to expand upon this series now. It shows far more promise than the "main" TR games which have never clicked with me.

I can't wait to plough on tomorrow and finish it.

Edit: Oh, and I LOVE the challenges on each level. I'm not sure we'll be that great at the sppedrun ones, but we'll definitely go back and do the rest. Very good design.

border

Played with my girlfriend last night -- had a fun time. I do feel like the twin stick aiming/combat is a bit beyond the capabilities of the typical "I like Zelda!" girl. I was having to do most of the killing in combat, and I often notice her shooting in the completely wrong direction. She's pretty enthusiastic about using the bombs though. Platforming can get a bit tricky -- all I can say is that I'm glad the game gives you an infinite number of lives, otherwise the fun would be over pretty quick.

We're enjoying ourselves so far, though I'm sure one of the puzzles is going to get us into a fight sooner or later :)

I'm kinda glad I let her be Lara, as it seems like Totec has the skills and abilities that are a bit more demanding on the player's coordination and familiarity with gaming. I have to wonder if that was a design decision -- assuming that the guys in a given relationship would end up with the male player-character :)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. It never ceases to surprise me just how complicated using both analog sticks concurrently really is when I see people who didn't grow up with playstations struggling with them.

but the aiming in the game is pretty heavily assisted, so once she wraps her brain around it she shouldn't have too much trouble

Number45

I completed this tonight (SP only), with enough of the challenges complete to tempt me to maybe go for 100% - any tips? First observations are that it's going to be annoying with no on-screen timer for the timed challenges, and no easy way of resetting to the last check point for the skill based challenges

Ellis Kim

Banned
Number45 said:
I completed this tonight (SP only), with enough of the challenges complete to tempt me to maybe go for 100% - any tips? First observations are that it's going to be annoying with no on-screen timer for the timed challenges, and no easy way of resetting to the last check point for the skill based challenges
Though unrelated to getting 100%, its worth noting the existence of co-op exclusive cutscenes you don't get playin solo.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I'm trying to play this using Motion Joy and my PS3 controller, but I can't seem to get it to work. Gamepad configuration is still greyed out. Has anyone done it?

Is there anyway to play this local co-op with one player being on a 360 controller and the other on the mouse and keyboard? I keep trying to configure it that was but it will only recognize player one as the game pad and player two I cant configure unless I put in another controller? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Firebrand

GhostRidah said:
Is there anyway to play this local co-op with one player being on a 360 controller and the other on the mouse and keyboard? I keep trying to configure it that was but it will only recognize player one as the game pad and player two I cant configure unless I put in another controller? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just tested it and it worked fine with disabling "Controller 1" on player 1 and enabling it for player 2.

Shepard

I just wanted to add how GOOD this game looks. One thing I hate about current videogames is how the interactive objects look different then the rest of the scene, they kinda stand-out so you know you can interact with it but not in this game. Everything is so organic, it's like you can interact with the whole world, amazing.

Laekon

What is the easiest way to play this game, Kb/m or controller? I bought it on Steam a long time ago and just started it last night for the first time. I only played it for 15 minutes and the keyboard and mouse seemed odd since you always seem to be moving at an angle. Is the controller any better? I don't own one right but I might pick one up for this and Just Cause 2.

KarmaCow

There is some give when it comes to jumping at angles, but not enough. One of the first challenges where you need to jump across 8 spider pots is a huge pain with kb/m. It's better with a controller.

Ken

Are there any other games similar to Guardian of Light? My friend and I really enjoyed coop and want to try other games that play similarly.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Ken said:
Are there any other games similar to Guardian of Light? My friend and I really enjoyed coop and want to try other games that play similarly.
I think its because the cooperative platforming that made GoL such a game of adoration that its what makes it stick out. Any other game that's even remotely "similar" would be any overhead twin stick shooter.

You could always buy the skins and revisit the main missions (new cutscenes, new voices), or buy the challenge maps.

Ken

Ellis Kim said:
I think its because the cooperative platforming that made GoL such a game of adoration that its what makes it stick out. Any other game that's even remotely "similar" would be any overhead twin stick shooter.

You could always buy the skins and revisit the main missions (new cutscenes, new voices), or buy the challenge maps.
What are the new skins? Maybe we'll try replaying it, hmm. Is there no word of a possible sequel yet?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I bought this a few Steam sales ago, and I'm shocked at how good it is...and I'm exclusively going through single-player.

The game gets all of the basics right: the controls are responsive and character movement is quick and fluid, the graphics are excellent, and the levels are well-paced and appropriately peppered with unlockables and incentives.

More importantly, the game has some killer puzzle design. There's no gimmick to this--the various traps and challenge rooms are just insanely clever. This is like Portal-quality stuff.

Anyone else discover this recently?

Montresor

All it took was a skimming of this page (and my friend telling me that there is a big focus on puzzles in the game) for me to decide to get this game! I'm gonna put down the 600 points for it today... as it's the deal of the week.

Ra1den

This game is $3.74 on Steam. I'd rather get it on PS3 to play with somebody else, but if the PC version is technically superior I may pick it up. What is the best version?

Can I play this on PC with a PS3 controller?

Yes but you need to use something like MotioninJoy. You can even emulate an xbox 360 controller with it.

It works quite well, but the software itself does feel a bit wonky sometimes. I personally think the wired xbox 360 controller is superior to the combination of DS3 and MotioninJoy and I have no regrets buying one.

maty

Hi, does anyone have a problem while playing online coop? Everytime I try to play with a friend a message pops up saying "the other player has left" and we are both kicked out to the lobby.

I tried searching on steam forums for a solution, emailed steam support and SE and no one gave me answer.

Such a shame not being able to play coop since I had a great time beating the game in singleplayer.

If anybody knows what could be wrong I'd appreciate your help. Thanks

bozeman

Is there a way to reset this so that I can start from the beginning with all the challenge rooms uncompleted? I got about halfway through this but quit playing for a long time and just fired it up again tonight and I couldn't just start from the beginning. PS3 version.

Just got this on PS+. Downloaded the demo when it first came out and seemed cool, but being able to play the whole game now and it's really good. Can't put it down. Though those stupid skeletons that keep coming back are a pain. Yeah you can blow em to smithereens with a grenade launcher but even still, annoying. I like the score system and trying to find the skulls and other hidden power ups.

Haven't played co-op yet.

Is there a way to reset this so that I can start from the beginning with all the challenge rooms uncompleted? I got about halfway through this but quit playing for a long time and just fired it up again tonight and I couldn't just start from the beginning. PS3 version.

I dunno, delete your save?

This game is rad. Played the first two levels and am pleasantly surprised by...everything? Great level design with pretty diverse art assets, smart and responsive controls, lots of unlockables and optional challenges and, seemingly, a great amount of content. And I got it for free thanks to PS+. I'm very happy with it.
Only the framerate is a little bumpy at times.

Has anyone managed to get a gamepad working with this game on Steam? I've tried both a Wii Classic Controller Pro and a logitech gamepad which the game recognizes as a native Xbox 360 controller.

The wii one doesn't work because it won't recognize 2 of the triggers, and the Xbox controller doesn't work because it binds character movement to the dpad and weapon swaps to the analog stick, instead of vice versa. It's technically playable on the xbox controller, but really fucking aggravating to move around with the dpad since it should obviously be reversed.

Top Bottom