• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Large crater forms in Siberia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
schoenherr3.jpg

It is probably just earth giving way because of gas mining/fracking. You suck stuff out of the Earth, it will collapse. Nature how does it work.

yep

I am so confused, and intrigued right now :D. A meteor would cause a much wider blast radius for a hole of that depth.

We need better footage of this.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sifting through the bad jokes and now I want to see more. Like take a remote controlled chopper in there. There has to be more than crappy pic and video.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
The giant hole appeared close to a forest some 30 kilometres from Yamal's biggest gas field Bovanenkovo.

It is Russia's main production area for gas and the Bovanenkovo field is of central importance to gas supplies from Siberia to the world.

the hole is a real phenomenon and it is believed to have been formed around two years ago.

The gas field was discovered in 1972 and developed by Gazprom starting production in 2012. The Yamal peninsula is bordered by the Kara Sea - Baydaratskaya Bay - to the west, and the Gulf of Ob on the east. It extends some 700 kilometres over mainly permafrost.

Experts are confident that a scientific explanation will be found

well..
I think it might be Space Mutants!

Az

The bigger mystery is what kind of camera was used to record this. Im sure they do not make those anymore.

CTLance

Looks fucking awesome. Also scary, but that's par for the course for sinkholes.
explosive sinkhole maybe....pressure underground may have been high and so the weakest part of that chamber simple popped
That's the way I see it as well. There is by far not enough ejecta and other signs of destruction for a genuine impact to create a crater of that depth. Must've been comparatively tame, there's not that much stuff lying around. Makes sense, too, given there's a gas field basically directly under it.

PatBot

Does not look like a sinkhole. Sinkholes just collapse downwards without creating an elevated rim around the crater. Looks like material has been ejected, too, so explosion or impact seem more likely.

JDSN

Banned
J̄ͤ̈͌̍u̎̇ͦ̊ͣm̈̾̅ͩͩ̔̾̅̓ͭ̋͐͐͑̊͑pͧͩͤͯ̒ͯ̈́̈́̈͊ͧ͌͊̂ͪͩ̚ ͋ͪ́ͨͥiͮͬͯͧͨͤ̈̍ͫ̂̐̑n͆̀ͣ͐̃ͩͭͧ͌̆͊ͥ.̏͐̈́ͧ̍̑̑͊͒ͪ̓ͮ̍ͤͦ̄͒̏̀

Kurdel

Banned
Does not look like a sinkhole. Sinkholes just collapse downwards without creating an elevated rim around the crater. Looks like material has been ejected, too, so explosion or impact seem more likely.

In the OP it says gas bubbles popping while permafrost is melting.

ReaperXL7

so what are the chances that they will actually send something/someone down into this hole to get a peek from the inside? I would have to imagine they will want to do that at some point for research purposes?

Chichikov

Da fuck is going on with my browser?
It's not your browser, i̡̟̘̞̙̤̳t̖̦́'s̷ y̨͇̟̞̳̣o̧̢͓̹̬͖͎͖u̷͙̟̮̘̜͇͇͚͠r͓̦͔̭͚̞ s̸̸̢̡̡̱̹͉̯̱ơ̡̢͍̭͎̲͚͇͕̞͙̹̭̺͖̖̣̖̕͝ͅͅͅu̴̸̩͉̹̻̱̫͓̗̦̺̬͍̩͉̫̲̘͔͞l̷͈̯͔̼͙̜̺. H̬͖͍̬̳̝͙͈̻̺͙̩͈̠̗̉̈́́́ͥ̈́̓͂ͦ̿͌̃ͤ͠͠ͅͅĒ̷̴̸̱͇̠͇͚̺̣͔͓ͦ̈́͗ͪ̽͆ ̴̨͎̻̰̞̬̗̓̾̔ͭ̾̄ͥ̎̓̇͋̿̿̓̊̒C̢͍̱̟̬̟̱̜͔̝̳̼̦͙̫̣̠̜ͫ͌̇̂̈̀͢͡͝Ơ̧̬̭͚̼͔̤͕̼̣̟̋̊ͩ͋ͧͦͮ̽̉̉̀͢͞ͅM͛̒ͫͧͯ̏̾̃ͮ̓̈́̄͆̐̀ͨ̍̎͟͏͍̲̥͍͈͈̠͘Ë̶̢̛͇͙͙̳́̿ͧ͟͠Ṡ̛͙̩̹̭̮͈̮͎͙͕̠̦̥̬̐͐̿̈́ͦ͗͋́̂͢͞

Psxphile

Siberia must smell like a fart that never goes away.

If scientists want to get more people excited about this methane release explanation, maybe they should call it sandworm flatulence.
Ha.

So as far as mysterious holes opening up and swallowing whole towns, this is only really an issue for the 'frozen' North, right? Meanwhile the rest of us are going to have to deal with the fallout of mass quantities of methane wrecking havoc on the climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom