• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Large protests in Ukraine over failure to sign EU trade deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oriel

Very foolish and incredibly provocative action by Yanukovych. The protest movement, who had just began to vacate government buildings and dismantle some of the barricades will see this police action as a slap in the face and only serve to harden their resolve. It's a zero sum game now, where only one side can hope to prevail. Any hope of a negotiated settlement is fading fast.

Kinyou

This can't be good at all.
They better have locked all those guns away

Edit:
Police headquarter in Ternopli (a different one?) set on fire

BgyNx1vIgAAYPRK.jpg

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Finally I can be on-topic in an off-topic thread.

I'm here for business. I'm flying back tomorrow morning and can't stay in my hotel, as the roads will be closed and my company doesn't like me being where it will be hard to go back. :p

Word on the street is that people are very sad. (So much insight.)

Oriel

No, real it is getting in Rivne, where protesters are approaching a military weapons depot...

Good job all those tactical Soviet nukes were transfered out of Ukraine back to Russia in the 1990's, though speculation remains that a few were unnacounted for during the move.

No, real it is getting in Rivne, where protesters are approaching a military weapons depot...

Well that'll be interesting....

So is this heading towards completely revolt/revolution or what? My limited knowledge in this is really a hinderance but it doesn't look good for anybody at this point.

Kinan

So is this heading towards completely revolt/revolution or what? My limited knowledge in this is really a hinderance but it doesn't look good for anybody at this point.

Well, the government is doing everything to destroy every opportunity for a peaceful solution. So yea, its a revolt.

Like 10 pro Molotov tosses at the same time.

CHEEZMO™;101338004 said:
You can take out anything with enough fire.

Fucking hell. Science! Teamwork! o/\o

Oh, man. I hope militsya/berkut don't use that as an excuse to treat all protesters as armed :/
edit: in the square.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
My Twitter feed is full of conflicting reports on fatalities.

9-12 protesters dead
4-6 police dead.

edit:
AJAM Live ‏@ajamlive 2m
Latest on clashes in #Ukraine:

- 13 dead total (seven protesters, six police)
- Two armored personnel carriers moving towards square

Oriel

If it gets worse Russia has vowed to send in the tanks a la Hungary and Czechoslovakia....

"We don't want to use any kind of blackmail. This is a question for the Ukrainian people," said Glazyev. "But legally, signing this agreement about association with EU, the Ukrainian government violates the treaty on strategic partnership and friendship with Russia." When this happened, he said, Russia could no longer guarantee Ukraine's status as a state and could possibly intervene if pro-Russian regions of the country appealed directly to Moscow.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/22/ukraine-european-union-trade-russia

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
A pic from earlier in the day, I think.

BgyRTBdCIAAiSmO.jpg:large

BBC saying officials report the death toll for today to be at least 13

Oriel

CHEEZMO™;101343617 said:
A pic from earlier in the day, I think.

BgyRTBdCIAAiSmO.jpg:large

BBC saying officials report the death toll for today to be at least 13

7 civilians, 6 police officers seems to be the breakdown doing the rounds in the media.

aScaris

Berkut and police gearing up for a fullscale invasion of Maidan.

BgyA39LIgAAHmv2.jpg

This is just wrong.. hope it does not escalate further, but I fear it will. I guess all we can do right now is wishing good luck to those who fight for their rights and freedom and hope that they live to see the result of their efforts..

EDIT: Obviously the oppositional politician Klitschko just arrived at the presidents palace to talk to Janukowitsch

ICKE

Banned
If this keeps up and the situation escalates, the international community might have to step in some way.

There is a chance Russia might make some sort of a play after the Olympics are over.

R.I.P to all those who have died

If this keeps up and the situation escalates, the international community might have to step in some way.

There is a chance Russia might make some sort of a play after the Olympics are over.

R.I.P to all those who have died

LOL, some sort of play?

The Olympics is pretty much the only reason Russia hasn't stepped in and put them down.

Kinyou

This is common sense, violence and murder are unacceptable. The government in ukraine is elected and no dictatorship. Yanukovych must set an example.
And he's not giving a shit about what half the country thinks. Not very democratic

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Wow, I thought that was it for a second but not only did they fight them back, they captured at least one of them. They just hauled him through the crowd.

Enkidu

This is common sense, violence and murder are unacceptable. The government in ukraine is elected and no dictatorship. Yanukovych must set an example.
Everything was peaceful until the police started to get violent, protesters started dying before there were any reported police casualties. Yanukovich did set an example, and that is why the situation has escalated into the mess it is now.

I wish there was an English speaking news outlet covering this like Al Jazzera was covering the Arab Spring stuff. I need more context. The best I get is a bunch of RTs on twitter

I lived in Ukraine for 4 years of my life. I have some pictures of a very young me in front of that statue.

Edit: VVV that just looks like a blurry picture

Nilaul

tGK7Sv4.jpg

Russian involvement?

----

Military forces jumping sides:

Euromaidan PR ‏@EuromaidanPR 3m
In Ternopil military forces moved to the side of Ukrainain nation! |PR News #Euromaidan #Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom