• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Largest Leap Graphics in a Single Generation

JordanN

Banned
Let me spell this out for you since you seem to be a bit slow.

you showed a screen with about 15 sprites that are about 2 polygons, max, plus the environment. let's be generous and call it 10 per character.
My argument was never about the sprites themselves, it was having the sprites turned into 3D (not flat polygons) and having a complex environment. That's it.

If you could show the two happening, that's it you won. I'm not interested in how complex the cars. What I would be interested in is if the environments are just as good as the cars (which I doubt).

My argument was never about the sprites themselves, it was having the sprites turned into 3D (not flat polygons) and having a complex environment. That's it.

If you could show the two happening, that's it you won. I'm not interested in how complex the cars. What I would be interested in is if the environments are just as good as the cars (which I doubt).

Do you...do you have brain damage? this is literally the dumbest argument I've ever had on GAF, and I've been here for 6 years.

Have you never actually seen Gt2? Have you ever seen any racing game at all? Did you miss the animated GIF of Ridge Racer: Type 4 on this very page of this very thread, showing complex as hell environments with dynamic lighting? there are more polygons in a single track of Ridge Racer type 4 than there are in the entirety of pokemon black and white, period..

Lijik

Your argument is nonsensical and doesn't even prove B/W looks like a high end game.

The jump from Pokemon on DS was pretty big

Diamond/Pearl (looked like high res GBA visuals)
evYtu.jpg

A25Ke.jpg

to Black/White (high end PS1 visuals)
Cexb8.jpg

xTvuw.jpg

I have to second that it is ridiculous to call that high-end PSX visuals. And yes, "because of sprites". Sprites take next to no time to render in a 3D engine, so remove all those (extremely pixelated) sprites and you're left with a scene that would make release PSX games barf.

Also, the battle scenes look vastly INFERIOR. Your pokemon is pixelated whereas it wasn't before.

For me the real winners are:

Streets of Rage 1 -> Streets of Rage 2

Panzer Dragoon -> Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Monkey Island 1 -> Monkey Island 2 LeChucks revenge (if Curse of Monkey Island didnt come out 7 years later it would be in the running for the clear winner of this thread).

However..
Virtua Fighter 1 -> Virtua Fighter 2 -> Virtua Fighter 3 wins this thread HANDILY.
In 3 years time these three games came out and blew everyones tech out the water.

Shaneus

Project Gotham Racing:
Fg4j0.jpg

Project Gotham Racing 2:
8LTLb.jpg

I know it's not the greatest leap compared to some others in this thread, I just wanted to throw it's hat into the ring :)

PS. it is RIDICULOUSLY hard to find pictures from PGR1 in-game.

DonMigs85

I think Metroid Prime 2 had noticeable improvements over its predecessor (better texture quality, lighting and slightly higher polygon count leading to less angular environments) but the framerate was more prone to hitching.

to Black/White (high end PS1 visuals)
Cexb8.jpg

xTvuw.jpg
Hahaha!

Maybe high-end SNES visuals. I'm actually pretty sure you could do that on the SNES using Mode 7. Well, the background elements would all have to be sprites, but seriously? High-end PS1 visuals?

If you MUST use PS1 as a comparison point, it'd be low-end PS1 visuals at best.

ss_lemonade

What about Resident Evil 3 to Code Veronica on the Dreamcast? I was blown away by the graphics on Code Veronica when I first played a friend's copy.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Sorry, the changes were just too subtle for me to consider it anywhere near as large or obvious as the leaps between other games listed in here (particularly the Halo series).

Improved lighting, superior character models, less painted on muscle textures...

Hahaha!

Maybe high-end SNES visuals. I'm actually pretty sure you could do that on the SNES using Mode 7. Well, the background elements would all have to be sprites, but seriously? High-end PS1 visuals?

I somewhat agree with your assessment on the PS1 side (I would say low to mid-level), strongly disagree that the graphics in this game could have been accomplished with Mode 7. If you play the game you'll see that it's fully rendered in 3D and would require some sort of SFX chip on steroids to accomplish it.

JordanN

Banned
Hahaha!

Naw, because when I think low end PS1, it's very primitive levels with little to no textures.

Anyways, having just replayed Pokemon Black, I think my comparisons should be made to high end PS1 games in the same genre.

Hahaha!

It's not even on high-end SNES level of visuals, Streets of Rage looked much better than that game ever hope imo:

tumblr_lsblgqoFFH1qgzjxr.jpg

sleepykyo

I was thinking about this while playing Halo 4 and noticing just how much better it looked than Halo: Reach.

The question I'm posing is; What was the largest improvement in graphics between two consecutive games of the same franchise within a single console generation?

I'm not talking about the difference between Fifa 07 to Fifa 13, but rather Fifa 08 to Fifa 09. Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2 counts, but Mass Effect to Mass Effect 3 doesn't.

Make sense?

Obviously this question can't apply to PC games. *dodges tomatoes*

Should have just specified the biggest improvement on the same hardware. Cutting pc games didn't prevent individuals choosing the weakest hardware of a console generation for the predecessor and then the sequel on the most powerful console of the same generation.

sleepykyo

Mortal Kombat Vs. DC

MK_vs_DC_360_005.jpg.jpg

MK_vs_DC_360_003.jpg.jpg

Mortal Kombat 9

360_027.bmp.jpg

360_023.jpg.jpg

Native 720p @ 60fps on Unreal Engine 3 on console. A technical achievement in itself.

Went from an arena to a bridge though. Although it was worth it given, how little the arena benefited MKvDC's combat.

edit: The VF - VF2 leap does look pretty big.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Halo 3 to Halo 4.

Halo 3 almost looked like an upresed (slightly, to 640p) original Xbox game at times, some great lighting helped it out. But then compared to Halo 4 it looks like they run on different hardware.

i-Lo

Halo 3 to Halo 4.

Halo 3 almost looked like an upresed (slightly, to 640p) original Xbox game at times, some great lighting helped it out. But then compared to Halo 4 it looks like they run on different hardware.

I wish people would read the OP.

bobeth

Project Gotham Racing:
Fg4j0.jpg

Project Gotham Racing 2:
8LTLb.jpg

I know it's not the greatest leap compared to some others in this thread, I just wanted to throw it's hat into the ring :)

PS. it is RIDICULOUSLY hard to find pictures from PGR1 in-game.
Oh man, PGR2 was soooo good. I agree the game looks better in screenshots, but the framerate was halved for PGR2..

Shaneus

Oh man, PGR2 was soooo good. I agree the game looks better in screenshots, but the framerate was halved for PGR2..
Oh definitely, I was more thinking of in terms of graphical fidelity as opposed to technical ability. That may or may not be splitting hairs, but I think to go from a game that barely looked better than a Dreamcast title to what PGR2 was, complete with photo-accurate streets of places like Sydney was insane, even if it did have to sacrifice some fluidity in the process.

ShdwDrake

Banned
The battle scenes are better but how does the overall world compare? If it's like that scene from the beginning it's not much different (or maybe worse).

The overworld uses the same graphics just no 3d monsters but the towns etc are 3d (map can rotate) the sprites are the same quality.

And not much different?... ok.

DR2K

Banned
Not true.

We'll never come to an agreement it seems, so I'll just leave it like this: DOA5 has higher highs than DOA4 (the character models are stunning), but its lows are much, much lower.

I mean, look at the ground textures in that second video. Look at how bare the stage is in the first video bar the impressive particle and lighting effects.

DOA4 is much more visually consistent, and remains a feast for the eyes to this day.

OK, what is the resolution? And where is the pixel counter? Because it does not look sub-hd to me at all.

Eh, we really didn't play the same DOA4.

Most of DOA4 stages were very bare, had little to nothing going on the background, and were much less interactive.

I always thought MGS2 --> MGS3. Such an improvement.

Aside from the lower framerate, I have to agree. I went from MGS2 to the Subsistence version in my first series play-through and that camera really emphasizes how beautiful those environments were.

Breath of Fire 4 shits on it. Its a Turned based RPG with 3d environments?

Hell, Breath of Fire 3 looks better, even. Pokemon B/W has a good frame rate and good sprite work going for it, as does the DS hardware, but the PS1's high notes are on a different level.

Naw, because when I think low end PS1, it's very primitive levels with little to no textures.

Anyways, having just replayed Pokemon Black, I think my comparisons should be made to high end PS1 games in the same genre.

so..you don't realize vagrant story is an RPG? I thought you owned it?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I think Metroid Prime 2 had noticeable improvements over its predecessor (better texture quality, lighting and slightly higher polygon count leading to less angular environments) but the framerate was more prone to hitching.
Actually, according to Retro Metroid Prime 2 had double the polygon count of the first game.

Also, one more troll-post.
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (PS1, 1996)
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (PS1, 1999)

VanWinkle

My first instinct was to say Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2, and that's still true that it's a huge leap, but there's a lot of GREAT choices in here. Particularly Burnout 2 to 3 was insane. I remember thinking "how is this on the same console?" In fact I put the game in on my 360 a while back and it still looked really nice!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The jump from Pokemon on DS was pretty big

Diamond/Pearl (looked like high res GBA visuals)
evYtu.jpg

A25Ke.jpg

to Black/White (high end PS1 visuals in the same genre)
Cexb8.jpg

xTvuw.jpg

There's a big difference in effect due to the camera positioning but the graphics are essentially the same. HG/SS look better than B/W, even. But that's because the new angles make too many jaggies.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Halo 3 to Halo 4.

Halo 3 looked not too much better than Halo 2.

Reach looked much better than Halo 3.

You must have forgotten that Halo 3 was from this gen not the last. Common mistake.

Halo 3 to Halo 4.

What kind of goggles are you people looking at Halo 3 through?

The game was and is a great game graphically aside from 2 issues. IQ, and Human Facial Models.

Although aside from that, it had amazing lighting, excellent detailed textures, breathtaking skyboxes, battles of unmatched scale, still the best water physics on the 360, great particle effects, tons of on screen enemies, etc etc etc..

But somehow because it was rendered at 640p without some AA and Hood looks like shit, it is suddenly an Xbox 1 game? Come the fuck on.

xJavonta

Banned
What kind of goggles are you people looking at Halo 3 through?

The game was and is a great game graphically aside from 2 issues. IQ, and Human Facial Models.

Although aside from that, it had amazing lighting, excellent detailed textures, breathtaking skyboxes, battles of unmatched scale, still the best water physics on the 360, great particle effects, tons of on screen enemies, etc etc etc..

But somehow because it was rendered at 640p without some AA and Hood looks like shit, it is suddenly an Xbox 1 game? Come the fuck on.

640 is eww but I think most people were rocking SD TVs so they remember it looking like shit on those. I played it in upscaled 720p not too long ago and it didn't look too bad for a game it's age. Halo Reach shat on it in terms of visuals though. ODST wasn't bad looking either.

Top Bottom