• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Largest Leap Graphics in a Single Generation

Omni

Halo 3 to Halo 4.

Halo 3 almost looked like an upresed (slightly, to 640p) original Xbox game at times, some great lighting helped it out. But then compared to Halo 4 it looks like they run on different hardware.

Halo 4 is (dare I say it) a step back from even Reach though. The inclusion of real time shadows and native 720p screwed over everything else - Water is a 2D image, Skyboxes are crappy .jpgs and the lighting is shallow... plus textures and rendering distance leave a lot of be desired.

The jump from 3 to Reach was bigger.

I went in with really low expectations.... based on being seriously underwhelmed by Halo: Reach and Halo 3: ODST (technically, anyway).... however Halo 4 has blown me away on every level on 360.

I seriously didn't think the old girl had this in her.

I'm sure there's lots of trade offs and a lot of slight of hand going on to achieve what Halo 4 is pushing around... but the whole thing gels into something truly spectacular.... no doubt this is aided by the amazing art style as much as the tech - but regardless of the reason nothing else on any format has amazed me quite so much this year. That it's running of graphics tech from circa 2004 only adds to the achievement.

So basically any of the following?

Halo 3 -> Halo 4

Halo 3: ODST -> Halo 4

Halo: Reach -> Halo 4

i-Lo

Halo 4 is (dare I say it) a step back from even Reach though. The inclusion of real time shadows and native 720p screwed over everything else - Water is a 2D image, Skyboxes are crappy .jpgs and the lighting is shallow... plus textures and rendering distance leave a lot of be desired.

Well yea, there needs to be trade offs in a system with finite processing power. Personally, my biggest gripe was 2D backgrounds for far off horizon, which was a massive distraction given the rest of the visuals. I think in the next generation, we may never them resorting to this kind of trade off.

I went in with really low expectations.... based on being seriously underwhelmed by Halo: Reach and Halo 3: ODST (technically, anyway).... however Halo 4 has blown me away on every level on 360.

I seriously didn't think the old girl had this in her.

I'm sure there's lots of trade offs and a lot of slight of hand going on to achieve what Halo 4 is pushing around... but the whole thing gels into something truly spectacular.... no doubt this is aided by the amazing art style as much as the tech - but regardless of the reason nothing else on any format has amazed me quite so much this year. That it's running of graphics tech from circa 2004 only adds to the achievement.

So basically any of the following?

Halo 3 -> Halo 4 Invalid

Halo 3: ODST -> Halo 4 Invalid

Halo: Reach -> Halo 4

Done.

There are individual high points to reach.... and specific things that each veraion of the engine seems to work through slightly differently, but on the whole, halo 4 seems to look lots better on my TV.

FyreWulff

Well yea, there needs to be trade offs in a system with finite processing power. Personally, my biggest gripe was 2D backgrounds for far off horizon, which was a massive distraction given the rest of the visuals. I think in the next generation, we may never them resorting to this kind of trade off.

Done.

They didn't gain anything performance wise from dropping 3D skyboxes except having cheaper skyboxes in terms of wage paid on man hours and less test cases. 3D skyboxes are so low detail, two people spawning holograms probably adds more polys into the scene.

i-Lo

They didn't gain anything performance wise from dropping 3D skyboxes except having cheaper skyboxes in terms of wage paid on man hours and less test cases. 3D skyboxes are so low detail, two people spawning holograms probably adds more polys into the scene.

LOL!

I have to say if what you say is true then it makes that pseudo-sacrifice all the more depressing. I remember both Halo 3 and ODST have much better skyboxes. Halo Reach was the first one where I saw 2D images in the sky (during the night mission). After Skyrim, it's very difficult to go back to any 2D skybox that isn't uniformly blue.

Koralsky

ODDWORLD: MUNCH’S ODDYSEE (Xbox)

image1991.jpg

ODDWORLD: STRANGER’S WRATH (Xbox)

stranger_1.jpg

i-Lo

actually you reminded me even though I did do what the OP asked for....

Indeed you did when you mentioned from Reach to H4.

The reminder is not meant to insult or offend anyone. It's to ensure the people conform with the rules of this thread that make it unique compared to other comparison threads.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Halo 3

Halo 4

I'll just post this again to drive the point home..

I mean really? I think Halo 4 looks amazing just as many people do, but posting two screenshots of close ups of in game models that are just standing there, and comparing them to a cinematically lit and posed cutscene from Halo 4 is just hyperbowl.

Yes Halo 4 has amazing facial models and awesome JJA like lense flares and much better IQ.

That said, texture resolution is lower, skyboxes are significanly worse, water doesn't hold a candle, scale is much smaller, lighting is worse in many ways, (though better in specific areas), draw distance is paired down, etc etc

Halo 3 to Halo 4.

Halo 3 looked not too much better than Halo 2.

Reach looked much better than Halo 3.

You must have forgotten that Halo 3 was from this gen not the last. Common mistake.

Halo 3 to Halo 4.

Halo 3 almost looked like an upresed (slightly, to 640p) original Xbox game at times, some great lighting helped it out. But then compared to Halo 4 it looks like they run on different hardware.

What kind of goggles are you people looking at Halo 3 through?

The game was and is a great game graphically aside from 2 issues. IQ, and Human Facial Models.

Although aside from that, it had amazing lighting, excellent detailed textures, breathtaking skyboxes, battles of unmatched scale, still the best water physics on the 360, great particle effects, tons of on screen enemies, etc etc etc..

But somehow because it was rendered at 640p without some AA and Hood looks like shit, it is suddenly an Xbox 1 game? Come the fuck on.

Halo 4 is a great achievement for certain, but it came with a ton of compromise, and owes a lot to art direction. Not to mention Halo 3 is 5 years older than Halo 4, and Reach came in between, which closes the gap even more, especially in regards to facial models.

I just can't take anyone seriously that treats Halo 4s graphics like the second coming and says Halo 3 looks like an Xbox game in the same breath. It's nonsense.

Indeed you did when you mentioned from Reach to H4.

The reminder is not meant to insult or offend anyone. It's to ensure the people conform with the rules of this thread that make it unique compared to other comparison threads.

its just a discussion forum... let the moderators do their job - it's for them to police threads.

for experience the most interesting points come from free discussion, not when people are forced to channel their thinking to suit arbitrary 'rules'

The op really just wants to know where the biggest jumps have been - things other than what was asked for specifically do add flavour and context to the debate... and hence should be encouraged.

IMO!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
That may be, but the OP did sate and clearly bolded the rules of the thread.

People not reading the OP and just playing by their own rule so makes comparisons invalid (in a comparison thread non the less) and is quite frankly annoying as shit. Not to mention its a bannable offense to blatantly not read the OP

i-Lo

its just a discussion forum... let the moderators do their job - it's for them to police threads.

for experience the most interesting points come from free discussion, not when people are forced to channel their thinking to suit arbitrary 'rules'

The op really just wants to know where the biggest jumps have been - things other than what was asked for specifically do add flavour and context to the debate... and hence should be encouraged.

IMO!

I respectfully disagree. There are a multitude of topics on this board and each one is based on a specific subject. It's also why going off topic is also considered spamming sometimes. I don't follow your idea of causation that adhering to the parameters of this topic would somehow erode free thinking or negates the possibility of free discussion. If you want to create your own thread where everything goes, then do so when you become a "member".

As for policing, it's a shame if the mods have to do something that we can all do ourselves, provided we could just stick to the key points of the topic.

EDIT:

Just to reiterate the key point in OP:

What was the largest improvement in graphics between two consecutive games of the same franchise within a single console generation?

I'm not talking about the difference between Fifa 07 to Fifa 13, but rather Fifa 08 to Fifa 09. Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2 counts, but Mass Effect to Mass Effect 3 doesn't.

Xav

Too bad the gameplay was such a huge step back

:( I really miss Burnout 2

Yup, I prefer the racing of Burnout 2 to the car combat approach the series took in the sequels. Every Burnout is good in it's own way but 2 is still my favourite plus it had the best crash mode.

That's not what some of us want to see. Make your own thread if you don't want to play by the OP's rules.

Or just use this thread? It's the OP's fault that the thread has these ridiculous and arbitrary limitations that couldn't be summed up by the title. Every time there's anything more complicated than "post your favorite game" it's filled with whiners like i-Lo shitting up the thread with content-less policing, instead of actual content.

For the record, I followed the rules of the thread. I had discussions. And now I want more, instead of YOU'RE NOT DOING WHAT I SAID.

i-Lo

Or just use this thread? It's the OP's fault that the thread has these ridiculous and arbitrary limitations that couldn't be summed up by the title. Every time there's anything more complicated than "post your favorite game" it's filled with whiners like i-Lo shitting up the thread with content-less policing, instead of actual content.

For the record, I followed the rules of the thread. I had discussions. And now I want more, instead of YOU'RE NOT DOING WHAT I SAID.

It's the arbitrary parameter that makes the thread different. How difficult is this to understand? That is the topic. Every thread has that has a topic, restricts all posts to that topic including its "arbitrary" limits. Otherwise, making a topic would be irrelevant. It doesn't take rocket scientist to figure that out.And you are blaming the OP for creating his own topic because it doesn't fit with your agenda? That's just sad.

You want more? If you want to talk about or present pictures showing games depicting the largest gap in visuals in a franchise in a given generation or whatever it is that tickles your fancy then make your own thread.

It's disgusting to be vilified for following the protocols of a forum and sticking to the topic.

NeOak

Halo 3 Multiplayer Retail -> Halo 3 Multiplayer BETA.

Beta has better graphics, physics and sounds.

OmegaZero

Played Wrath when it came out, very Underrated and one of the better exclusives the Xbox had. With that said, i don't remember that scene in the game.

It's the area leading to
New Yolk City
Also, why are people comparing Halo 3 to 4? The OP was pretty clear in asking for consecutive games in a series, not two random games in a series.

Anyway, PGR1 compared to PGR2 was a noticeable leap for me.
I'd look for pics, but finding in-game screens of PGR1 is difficult for me.

EDIT: Ah, Shaneus beat me.
And found some pics too.

Thank you. The weird animation that is used in Black and White is just a pixelated mess.
UxIxc.gif
ZxCD8.gif
JVr5X.gif

At least if it's going to animate as such they should give the option to toggle idle animations off like they do with battle animations. Also, the camera is tilted all over the place in towns, stretching/scaling the character's sprite in the process. I'd rather they go full 3D or full 2D myself.

I actually meant the Pokemon you yourself control. In early Pokemon games, since the sprite is larger (because it's closer to the camera), they were done at a much lower resolution to save space. In newer games (even Gameboy Color ones!) they actually went to the effort to draw them at the same resolution of the rest of the game.

That's why it was so incredibly jarring to see that crap AGAIN, and to boot, in a game being defended for its graphical superiority! Just look at the battle screens posted earlier, and look at the Pokemon you are controlling. The difference is staggering.

I see that thanks to the obnoxious zooming they managed to pixelate BOTH controlled and enemy Pokemon this time, ugh. Kind of makes me happy not to have played a Pokemon game since the Gameboy Color. They're incredibly stagnant anyway.

The pixelation resulting from "marionette-like" animation is kind of unavoidable in a console that has neither the resolution nor the antialiasing power to hide when sprites are rotated. Same thing happened with Scribblenauts, actually. While I notice it and it's certainly not pretty, I consider it a sort of lesser, unavoidable evil.

Platy

Thread needs more Street Fighter !

Dreamcast :

Super Street Fighter 2 X

Street fighter 3 New Generations

PS3/360

Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix

Street Fighter 4
RVlnG.jpg

Edit : one more !

GBA :

Super Street Fighter 2 : Turbo Revival

ZL5Fu.jpg

Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper

mZkxW.jpg

(holy shit it is impossible to find good quality images in non native resolution of those 2 games ><)

Reiko

Banned
Marvel Super Heroes Sega Saturn

t-1215g_21sega-saturnylkwz.jpg

X-men Vs. Street Fighter Sega Saturn

54639-x-men_vs_streetb0fgo.jpg

The first, Arcade Perfect Capcom port.

daninthemix

Much as I despise what COD has become, the leap from COD3 to COD4 was pretty substantial. But since then it's barely even iterative.

Xav

I don't mean to sound rude but I really don't think most of you even understand what this thread is about.

Thread needs more Street Fighter !

Dreamcast :
Super Street Fighter 2 X
Street fighter 3 New Generations
PS3/360
Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix
Street Fighter 4
Edit : one more !
GBA :
Super Street Fighter 2 : Turbo Revival
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper

At least two of those examples are invalid, as the first game in each (which is, indeed, the same game in all three) is a port or remake from an earlier system. If that is valid, then so is, say, Super Mario Bros 3 on the Wii's Virtual Console to Super Mario Galaxy, released one week later.

SSF2 HD might be a borderline case, being a remake rather than a straight port, but it still is against the spirit of the thread.

Platy

At least two of those examples are invalid, as the first game in each (which is, indeed, the same game in all three) is a port or remake from an earlier system. If that is valid, then so is, say, Super Mario Bros 3 on the Wii's Virtual Console to Super Mario Galaxy, released one week later.

SSF2 HD might be a borderline case, being a remake rather than a straight port, but it still is against the spirit of the thread.

Everyone is talking about Virtua Fighter ...
Makes sense .. even if the GBA Super Street Fighter has new mechaniscs and stuff and Dreamcast Super Street Fighter 2 X has exclusive features

So can it be

Arcade :
Street Fighter 1 - Street Fighter 2 - Street Fighter 3 -> Street Fighter 4

?

They are ALL insane leaps ... specialy because of the time that took between each

But it is complicated to call "a generation" in arcades

arit

Everyone is talking about Virtua Fighter ...
Makes sense .. even if the GBA Super Street Fighter has new mechaniscs and stuff and Dreamcast Super Street Fighter 2 X has exclusive features

So can it be

Arcade :
Street Fighter 1 - Street Fighter 2 - Street Fighter 3 -> Street Fighter 4

?

They are ALL insane leaps ... specialy because of the time that took between each

But it is complicated to call "a generation" in arcades

(CPSI('88) ->) CPSII('93) -> CPSIII('97). At least with the few not-upgradable cart/cd based systems it is not that hard, though sometimes there are even upgraded ports to different arcade systems without real reasons besides availability(eg. alpha3/a3upper or ggxxac/ac-R).

statham

I played UC2 then UC1 then UC3.. UC1 is not a good looking game, UC3 I felt I was being forced in my movements, UC2 was perfect.

linko9

This one's easy for me:

DQ5

dragon_quest_v_tenkuu_no_hanayome.png

DQ6

screen03.png

Even more drastic in motion. DQ5 looks like a really nice NES game, and DQ6 looks like it was pulled off on a playstation or saturn.

FyreWulff

Halo 3 Multiplayer Retail -> Halo 3 Multiplayer BETA.

Beta has better graphics, physics and sounds.

The beta was missing effects, had the same Havok physics, and all that changed in the sound was they changed the distance you could hear "distant" sound generators (ala mongooses far away) for balance reasons.

Sky Chief

If Kojima is being truthful when he says that what we have seen of Ground Zeroes and the Phantom Pain is really running on PS360 level hardware then I think that MGS4 > MGSNext will be fantastic candidates for this.

Top Bottom