• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Largest Leap Graphics in a Single Generation

Zornica

Banned
the Turok 1 -> 2 leap was pretty amazing imo
It's hard to find good screenshots though

turok 1
40328-Turok_-_Dinosaur_Hunter_Europe-1.png

turok 2
Turok2--article_image.jpg

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

turok 1

turok 2

Very true. This blew me away back in the day. 3 did some cool stuff but stretched the hardware too thin and suffered for it.

Also, kind of stretching the OP a bit but Perfect Dark was always the spiritual successor to Goldeneye. Right down to having the same weapons modes and maps available. So if that were to count at all, it would be a huge leap as well.

Ram pack for the win. "HD" mode in turok 2 and neccecity for PD.

Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2. They're such different games it's quite unbelievable to think that Uncharted 2 was made in less then 2 years.

18-Volt

I'm not sure if they've been said but,

Pokémon Diamond&Pearl -> Pokémon Black&White
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 -> Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (PS2)
SSX 1 -> SSX On Tour
Burnout 1 -> Burnout Revenge
Ratchet & Clank -> Ratchet Deadlocked
Prince of Persia Sands of Time -> Prince of Persia The Two Thornes

Graphical difference between those sequels amazed me. Especially Tony Hawk, since American Wasteland was the first TH game I bought after 4th game.

Glad to see my first thread (despite the grammatical error in the subject line) is still going strong. I'll have to come up with a decent follow up one day.

Has anyone mentioned Darkness > Darkness 2 yet? I still think the first is a better game and there is a huge change in art style between the two, but Darkness 2 really harnesses the power of these consoles a lot more than the first one did.

Pandora Tomorrow to Chaos Theory easily wins this contest. Most insane leap in technology between two games in a single console generation. The fact that chaos Theory is even possible on the original xbox still boggles my mind. Chaos Theory was made a year after Pandora Tomorrow(granted the team that made was working on it since the first title which was 2 and a half years)

I honestly feel the Halo Reach to Halo 4 jump isn't that great. Halo 4 looks graphically impressive overall compared to reach but they sacrificed the absurd amount of High Res textures Reach was capable of and dialed the explosions/particles back by quite a bit to add more post processing effects.

Blood money to Absolution is a good one but it took many years to create that sequel.

Same with Oblivion to Skyrim. Amazing jump but many years since Oblivion. In that time they had many other games to improve their engine with.

Honorable Mentions go to TMNT 3(nes), GTA San Andreas, and Unreal Championship 2 which were all made on the same consoles as their previous titles but had huge leaps in tech and allowed much larger environments and more/better effects. The less compromises made between the sequels the better for me.

Shaneus

I'm not sure if they've been said but,

Pokémon Diamond&Pearl -> Pokémon Black&White
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 -> Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (PS2)
SSX 1 -> SSX On Tour
Burnout 1 -> Burnout Revenge

Ratchet & Clank -> Ratchet Deadlocked
Prince of Persia Sands of Time -> Prince of Persia The Two Thornes

Graphical difference between those sequels amazed me. Especially Tony Hawk, since American Wasteland was the first TH game I bought after 4th game.
I'm not sure about the other titles, but I know the bolded ones probably haven't been said because they don't qualify.

Skipped the OP, I assume?

tygertrip

Compare the jungle stage in DOA4 to DOA5.

Reflective water shader is gone in DOA5.

WTF you must have posted the wrong pics or something. I just stared at the DOA5
one for the last 10 minutes and saw no water anywhere. ;)

Horrible pic to prove your point, no straight male over the age of 12 is gonna bitch about reflective water shaders with that kind of godalmighty perfect, exquisite, bikini modeling going on. ;)

Pandora Tomorrow to Chaos Theory easily wins this contest. Most insane leap in technology between two games in a single console generation. The fact that chaos Theory is even possible on the original xbox still boggles my mind. Chaos Theory was made a year after Pandora Tomorrow(granted the team that made was working on it since the first title which was 2 and a half years)

I honestly feel the Halo Reach to Halo 4 jump isn't that great. Halo 4 looks graphically impressive overall compared to reach but they sacrificed the absurd amount of High Res textures Reach was capable of and dialed the explosions/particles back by quite a bit to add more post processing effects.

Blood money to Absolution is a good one but it took many years to create that sequel.

Same with Oblivion to Skyrim. Amazing jump but many years since Oblivion. In that time they had many other games to improve their engine with.

Honorable Mentions go to TMNT 3(nes), GTA San Andreas, and Unreal Championship 2 which were all made on the same consoles as their previous titles but had huge leaps in tech and allowed much larger environments and more/better effects. The less compromises made between the sequels the better for me.

Yeah I agree with Halo 4. It's gorgeous but a lot of things were sacrificed to get it there.

Tekken 2 -> Tekken 3

100% agree. I remember being blown away when I saw that game after 2.

majik13

Not sequel.
Not the same style of gameplay, graphic style or even goal. Yoshi Island is a Yoshi Island game with Yoshi Story and Yoshi Island DS.
Calling it a Super Mario game would be like calling Wario Land a Mario Game.

but but the box clearly says it is a sequel. and yoshi story games came later anyways iirc.

I think Reach did more techincally but despite it Halo 4 looks better. Halo 4's texture filtering is complete shit though things like 3 inches infront of you are blurred as fuck. I swear if next generation forgoes anisotropic filtering which is dirt cheap in terms of processing power I'll be very disappointed.

That is actually a real life photo of that characters voice actor Ron Pearlman.

Man for a while there I thought I was the only one who saw him in that screenshot.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
VF to VF2 on Saturn. (VF Remix was not a new game)
Uncharted to Uncharted 2.
Tekken 2 to Tekken 3.
Soul Edge/Blade to Soul Calibur (PS based arcade hardware, not talking about Dreamcast version)

I'd say Code Veronica to REMake but pre-rendered backgrounds are an apples/oranges comparison, and there are probably three other shitty RE spinoff games in between those releases that I don't even remember.

It is hard to come up with any UE3 based examples because the god awful texture blur in ruins all of them.

dummydecoy

without a doubt infamous to infamous 2

Just finished my replay of Infamous in preparation for Infamous 2, which I'm currently 5 minutes in, and my jaw is on the floor. That opening sequence... just WOW! It's GOW3 levels of awesome!!!

I hope it maintains this level of graphical fidelity and performance throughout the game.
tmJvy.jpg

HALO Reach --> HALO 4

Full 720p Resolution
30fps 99% of the time unlike Reach
Way better lighting with instant global illumination updates
More polys on screen
Alot more post processing
Incredibly detailed character models
Environment texture detail way more complex

So much makes 4 way ahead of Reach. Going back to Reach shows how bland it really looks. Theres a reason 4 gets graphics of the year while Reach couldnt get nominated its time.

KageMaru

turok 1

turok 2

Agree with this one. I had to do a double take and make sure it was an N64 game I was looking at. Well that was before I started moving and noticed the framerate was rather shit. =p Still looked great though.

The correct answer is the SNES.

From launch titles like F-Zero and Super Tennis to the rendered sprites and backgrounds of Donkey Kong Country the jump was incredible.

When DKC was first shown many thought it was running on the SNES' succesor. Then the platform was revealed and many didn't believe it the jump was so large.

Reiko

Banned
WTF you must have posted the wrong pics or something. I just stared at the DOA5
one for the last 10 minutes and saw no water anywhere. ;)

Horrible pic to prove your point, no straight male over the age of 12 is gonna bitch about reflective water shaders with that kind of godalmighty perfect, exquisite, bikini modeling going on. ;)

Yeah. You're totally missing the point.

And when talking about big breasts, you certainly don't know who I am.

kyo27

Not true.

We'll never come to an agreement it seems, so I'll just leave it like this: DOA5 has higher highs than DOA4 (the character models are stunning), but its lows are much, much lower.

I mean, look at the ground textures in that second video. Look at how bare the stage is in the first video bar the impressive particle and lighting effects.

DOA4 is much more visually consistent, and remains a feast for the eyes to this day.

absolutely agree with this. I thought the jaggies and textures were so poor in DoA5 compared to DoA4, that It was distracting. I wouldn't even consider it the best looking fighter because of this even though they have the best character models because the stage detail sacrificed so much.

Coolwhip

Banned
Agree with this one. I had to do a double take and make sure it was an N64 game I was looking at. Well that was before I started moving and noticed the framerate was rather shit. =p Still looked great though.

I wonder what the big guy from Acclaim is doing these days.

Dirtbag

Halo 3 -> Halo 4

Halo 3 was also this generation so it should count also right?

Reach to 4 was impressive but 3 to 4 is absolutely jaw dropping

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is the framerate is either Infamous game unlocked? I feel like I remember one of the games running faster than 30 fps. But yeah, I2 is a huge leap.

Nickoten

Neo Member
Thread needs more Street Fighter !

Dreamcast :

Super Street Fighter 2 X

Street fighter 3 New Generations

PS3/360

Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix

Street Fighter 4
RVlnG.jpg

Edit : one more !

GBA :

Super Street Fighter 2 : Turbo Revival

ZL5Fu.jpg

Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper

mZkxW.jpg

(holy shit it is impossible to find good quality images in non native resolution of those 2 games ><)

None of these really work. Dreamcast was the umpteenth system to have an SF2X port by that time - it's not really the same as Virtua Fighter 1 and 2 on Saturn because the game was like 5 years old by then. I wouldn't count it for the same reason I wouldn't count Capcom Classics Collection on PS2. I don't think HD Remix really works either because 1) By the logic of this post, SF3:3S is now available on the console which would invalidate it, 2) It's again a port of an old game, only with some new assets traced over the existing animation, and 3) it's a pretty obvious stylistic difference, though I'd say even SF2:WW looks better than HD Remix.

I think the GBA examples are acceptable, though, because that situation is closest to what's in the other posts in this thread.

My personal example would be SSF2 to Alpha 2 on SNES. The latter wasn't remotely a good port, but its graphics were pretty crazy for the console. Required some advanced graphics compression techniques I believe, which made emulation impossible for a good number of years.

http://www.mobygames.com/images/sho...-snes-screenshot-ryu-uses-his-new-flaming.png

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rL37ApbDF...SsFO27YHk_A/s1600/streetfighteralpha2snes.jpg

Both games look pretty good though.

nOoblet16

HALO Reach --> HALO 4

Full 720p Resolution
30fps 99% of the time unlike Reach
More polys on screen
Incredibly detailed character models

So much makes 4 way ahead of Reach. Going back to Reach shows how bland it really looks. Theres a reason 4 gets graphics of the year while Reach couldnt get nominated its time.

Full 720p Resolution
Actually no.
It's full 720p but it sacrifices Reach's HDR, 720p is no magic number the difference between Reach's resolution and Halo 4 is miniscule and even less significant considering they sacrificed the lightning.

More polys on screen
It's about the same

Reach has way superior lighting engine, the HDR is superior and the lighting is deferred there are way more dynamic lightsources compared to Halo 4. Most of the lights in Halo 4 are actually just glows rather than actual lights, it's more aesthetically pleasing but certainly not superior. Also the GI solution is the same as it's still baked just like Halo 3 and Halo Reach.

Halo 4 is missing post processing effects from Reach like SSAO and motion blur (camera or and per object both !). It's also missing the particle effects seen in Reach also the alpha effects were full resolution in Reach, not in Halo 4.

Textures were superior in Reach and the environments were larger.

Full 720p Resolution
Actually no.
It's full 720p but it sacrifices Reach's HDR, 720p is no magic number the difference between Reach's resolution and Halo 4 is miniscule and even less significant considering they sacrificed the lightning.

More polys on screen
It's about the same

Reach has way superior lighting engine, the HDR is superior and the lighting is deferred there are way more dynamic lightsources compared to Halo 4. Most of the lights in Halo 4 are actually just glows rather than actual lights, it's more aesthetically pleasing but certainly not superior. Also the GI solution is the same as it's still baked just like Halo 3 and Halo Reach.

Halo 4 is missing post processing effects from Reach like SSAO and motion blur (camera or and per object both !). It's also missing the particle effects seen in Reach also the alpha effects were full resolution in Reach, not in Halo 4.

In no imaginable way was HDR reduced lol. The HDR in HALO 4 is superior to Reachs'. Reach barely had any noticable HDR going on. And going from Reachs' 1152x720 to HALO 4's 1280x720p with custom FXAA is a big update and improvement with 100,200 pixels more on screen.

As for polys it is noticeably increased. Just look at the warthog, spartans, marines, etc. Not only that but I dont need to post pics of the environments both inside and out of how they are way more complex in geometry than anything in Reach. Just look at that new map Wreckage and post one pic of Reach that looks anything close to that.

LOL Do you know anything about the engines that these games run on?

Again HALO 4 HDR is superior to Reach's. HALO 4 still uses deffered lighting as it is how it still employs dynamic lights for all plasma shots and more than Reach. Jackal sheilds cast light that was not in Reach. All Promethean weapons cast light on any surface they get near with while you hold them and the Promethean Knights cast light on themselves and anything around them from their glowing body parts. Also Reach had no dynamic shadows while HALO 4 uses them.

Post processing is still better in HALO 4. Yea Reach had HBAO and motion blur, but those things degraded the image quailty thus they were disabled. FXAA is a post processing that is gained from dropping those features and the right choice as Reach was one jaggy, blurry, grainy mess.

Just as you land on Requim you notice the ground is way more complex in texture detail than when you first set food in Reach. No need to post pics if you have the games you can see.

And again learn what you are talking about because Reach is using the same res for alphas as HALO 4 because it is too not at full resolution. Research my friend.

TUROK

As for polys it is noticeably increased. Just look at the warthog, spartans, marines, etc. Not only that but I dont need to post pics of the environments both inside and out of how they are way more complex in geometry than anything in Reach. Just look at that new map Wreckage and post one pic of Reach that looks anything close to that.

halo-reach-20101121090436915-3356464.jpg

Halo-4-Crimson-Wreckage-6.jpg

Also Reach had no dynamic shadows while HALO 4 uses them.

Wat.

Post processing is still better in HALO 4. Yea Reach had HBAO and motion blur, but those things degraded the image quailty thus they were disabled. FXAA is a post processing that is gained from dropping those features and the right choice as Reach was one jaggy, blurry, grainy mess.

Wat.

I always thought Sonic Adventure 1 -> Sonic Adventure 2 was an impressive jump for Dreamcast. Not only did it look better, it ran at twice the framerate.

Is the framerate is either Infamous game unlocked? I feel like I remember one of the games running faster than 30 fps. But yeah, I2 is a huge leap.

Infamous 1 would jump to 60 fps if you looked at a big empty space (like the ocean), but 95% of the time it ran at an unstable 30 fps. Not sure about Infamous 2, as I have not played it.

Synless

I always thought Sonic Adventure 1 -> Sonic Adventure 2 was an impressive jump for Dreamcast. Not only did it look better, it ran at twice the framerate.

Infamous 1 would jump to 60 fps if you looked at a big empty space (like the ocean), but 95% of the time it ran at an unstable 30 fps. Not sure about Infamous 2, as I have not played it.
It's been a long time since I played I2, but I believe it is also unlocked and runs at a variable framerate.

KageMaru

Uncharted 1 > 2
Halo 1 > 2
Turok 1 > 2 (whatever happened to Turok 3?)

Turok 3 was released, but I think it was drowned out by the next gen talk since it launched in 2000.

Actually no.

HDR wasn't sacrificed. The only major change from the bump to 720p was the need for tiling, which Bungie intentionally avoided.

The lighting is still deferred in Halo 4. Just a trade off of a reduced radius of the illumination on some objects but at the same time allow more dynamic lights at once. That's ignoring the other improvements as well.

Yeah the omission of motion blur does suck, but IMO the HBAO used in Reach never really added much to the scenes.

The particle effects are still in effect in 4. Also the alpha effects weren't really full resolution in Reach. They used a bucket system that overlayed full res transparencies on top of additional layers of lower resolution transparencies. Seeing how the alpha transparency effects were the main source of the performance issues in Reach, I think scaling them down a bit was the right call. Most of them still look great, with the ship explosions suffering the most.

Textures were of similar quality. Every game will have patches of low res textures and Reach was no different. It's the difference in filtering that is probably throwing you off. I also don't think there is any big difference in the sizes of the environments.

In no imaginable way was HDR reduced lol. The HDR in HALO 4 is superior to Reachs'. Reach barely had any noticable HDR going on. And going from Reachs' 1152x720 to HALO 4's 1280x720p with custom FXAA is a big update and improvement with 100,200 pixels more on screen.

By noticeable HDR, do you mean in your face bloom? Because that's not what HDR lighting is really. It was noticeable in Reach, just like it is in Halo 4.

Also the bump in resolution is nice, but it's not that big of a deal. Unless it was pointed out to people, I doubt many would know Halo Reach was slightly sub-HD. The bigger additional was the removal of TAA and adding FXAA, but again it's not a huge thing.

It's doubtful you can tell poly counts as easily as you're making it seem. A lot of that could come down to changes in shaders or art. You really don't know and will never know without having access to some wireframes or having a lot of experience working with polys.

Again HALO 4 HDR is superior to Reach's.

How?

Just as you land on Requim you notice the ground is way more complex in texture detail than when you first set food in Reach. No need to post pics if you have the games you can see.

How is the ground way more complex in texture detail exactly?

Edit:

Totally forgot about SA2. I was blown away by how good it looked for a DC game at the time. Between SA2 and Shenmue 2, I thought the good ol' DC had enough performance to last at least another year. Sadly....that wasn't the case. =(

sp3000

LOL Do you know anything about the engines that these games run on?

Again HALO 4 HDR is superior to Reach's. HALO 4 still uses deffered lighting as it is how it still employs dynamic lights for all plasma shots and more than Reach. Jackal sheilds cast light that was not in Reach. All Promethean weapons cast light on any surface they get near with while you hold them and the Promethean Knights cast light on themselves and anything around them from their glowing body parts. Also Reach had no dynamic shadows while HALO 4 uses them.

And again learn what you are talking about because Reach is using the same res for alphas as HALO 4 because it is too not at full resolution. Research my friend.

The amount of faux technical knowledge in this post is pretty high. Just from reading the first line it's obvious you don't know the difference between actual FP16 HDR and LDR with bloom.

And Reach did not use Horizon Based Ambient Occlusion, it was Screen Space.

Also I like how you put a bullshot of Halo 4 and compare it to an in game shot of Reach.

The amount of faux technical knowledge in this post is pretty high. Just from reading the first line it's obvious you don't know the difference between actual FP16 HDR and LDR with bloom.

And Reach did not use Horizon Based Ambient Occlusion, it was Screen Space.

Also I like how you put a bullshot of Halo 4 and compare it to an in game shot of Reach. Your trolling is pretty sad.

Ironic

Reach does not use FP16
Reach does not use screen space but HBAO

I did not use that pic that was turok you moron.

Yeah I agree with Halo 4. It's gorgeous but a lot of things were sacrificed to get it there.

Nothing that stands out.

When I play the game, there is nothing that stands out to me and says "man they had to sacrifice this and that in order to get area looking this good."

All I see is "Holy shit this looks better than any 360 game I've ever seen."

sp3000

I'm glad to see you have resorted to name calling and being wrong at the same time.

Post proof for both of your claims or your still just making stuff up.

Why don't you show me your sources cause I got mine all ready but i want to see where your lowly technical knowledge is based from.

lol sorry but that isn't showing its not HBAO.

Top Bottom