• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Largest Leap Graphics in a Single Generation

Halo 3

halo-4-comparison-oxcgn-47.jpg

halo-4-comparison-oxcgn-51.jpg

Halo 4

DjRoomba

Banned
Uncharted 1 > Uncharted 2 is the only correct answer

natedrake.jpg

Ugly, standard-looking early Ps3

3113.Uncharted-2-Graphics.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

Game changer that still has, along with the (similar looking) 3, the best console graphics

Kokonoe

Banned
I have to second that it is ridiculous to call that high-end PSX visuals. And yes, "because of sprites". Sprites take next to no time to render in a 3D engine, so remove all those (extremely pixelated) sprites and you're left with a scene that would make release PSX games barf.

Also, the battle scenes look vastly INFERIOR. Your pokemon is pixelated whereas it wasn't before.

Thank you. The weird animation that is used in Black and White is just a pixelated mess.
UxIxc.gif
ZxCD8.gif
JVr5X.gif

At least if it's going to animate as such they should give the option to toggle idle animations off like they do with battle animations. Also, the camera is tilted all over the place in towns, stretching/scaling the character's sprite in the process. I'd rather they go full 3D or full 2D myself.

Uncharted 1 > Uncharted 2 is the only correct answer

natedrake.jpg

Ugly, standard-looking early Ps3

3113.Uncharted-2-Graphics.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

Game changer that still has, along with the (similar looking) 3, the best console graphics

I was TORN apart for saying that Uncharted wasn't all that impressive graphically when it was first revealed. Lol, I remember pre-demodded Amirox sifting through my post history to try to invalidate my opinion. Good times.

Uncharted 2 was truly a generation defining moment though. What a beautiful game.

Helscream

Banned
I really think Motorstorm jumping to Motorstorm Apocalypse is a honorable mention. Dont have any screenshots to show it : X

I like this to show the jump across generations, even though MGS was two generations after MG2.

Metal Gear 2

to Metal Gear Solid

to Metal Gear Solid 2

God damn it, is it really that tough to read the OP before posting in a thread like this? It takes all of, what, 30 seconds? People will take time to look up and link screenshots, but not make sure that they're posting what the OP asked for?!

/Rant

zoukka

I love how people find the most horrendous images to support their claims :b

Like the Halo 4 cutscene models lol. 4 looks awesome, but even more so because Halo 3 had ps2 level cutscene assets.

Pre

God damn it, is it really that tough to read the OP before posting in a thread like this? It takes all of, what, 30 seconds? People will take time to look up and link screenshots, but not make sure that they're posting what the OP asked for?!

/Rant

I read the OP; It was a tangential post. Sorry if that offends you.

EDIT: There, removed it. It was a bad idea.

NeOak

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
ibcn4VDhnBONLQ.png

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
ibyXd4l6DoipNI.jpg

I kid, I kid, thats on Dolphin. Real Wii screenshot is:

ibcfsIZ2tSfIMc.jpg

Binabik15

Uncharted's best textures are much better than Uncharted 2's, though, with reflections and shit (fake ones, but beautiful nonetheless). Also, dat one rock.

I agree that the sequel looks better, but there were cutbacks in areas to focus on flashy stuff that makes more people say wow.

Shaneus

Rallisport to Rallisport 2
I think you're overestimating just how bad RSC1 looked:
44WHH.jpg

QfgaQ.jpg

v1AEp.jpg

I mean, RSC2 definitely looks better, but I never thought it was the graphical leap that many other franchises out on Xbox experienced:
QstMs.jpg

y4GT4.jpg

BLzsN.jpg

Good lord. How the hell did this get ok'd?
It looks like they scaled down his eyeballs by about 50% what they were intended to be, based on the eye sockets.
I had to have a second look, but I was sure for a good few minutes that it was just an image mirrored on itself, like in that mirrored game covers thread. But then I saw that the background wasn't a mirror image.

Lol, you skipped over Reach and ODST.

Halo Reach to Halo 4 is a ridiculously small leap.

It's not ridiculously small, it's significant, but Halo 3/ODST to Reach was probably bigger.

That said, I think even Halo 3 was a good looking game for the most part, with some jarring lows and some great looking moments.

DCharlie

Banned
oh and biggest generational leap i've seen is going from games that looked like this :

SabreWulf2.jpg

to this

Knight+Lore+2.jpg

(SaberWulf to KnightLore - ZX Spectrum - yes, i would have used Underwurlde but if the folklore is true then KnightLore was completed before Underwurlde but held back - either way the jump is still the same)

FyreWulff

Halo 3 to Reach. Reach to Halo 4 isn't that big of a jump. It looks better in some areas, but lacks in others. Most notably low res .jpg'd 2D skyboxes compared to Reach's full 3D ones

Banjo Kazooie to Banjo Tooie for N64 (There wasn't a lot of N64 games that had sequels in the same franchise... otherwise I'd count GE -> PD)

SNES, on a technical level, Mario World to Yoshi's Island. Art style is up to opinion, but the stuff it was actually DOING was beyond what World could even think of doing.

NES, definitely SMB2 to SMB3.

GameCube, Rogue Leader to Rebel Strike. To the point that they showed off by upgrading the entire original Rogue Leader graphically, then only letting you play it in co-op splitscreen. Showoffs.

rakka

Lol, you skipped over Reach and ODST.

Halo Reach to Halo 4 is a ridiculously small leap.

and in many ways a leap backwards.

it's hilarious how people post the worst possible screens of halo 3 for comparison and on top of that ignore reach like it never existed.

DCharlie

Banned
SNES, on a technical level, Mario World to Yoshi's Island. Art style is up to opinion, but the stuff it was actually DOING was beyond what World could even think of doing.

Well, it is packing a Super FX 2 which obviously gave it tricks that SMW -couldn't- do but still, that's the advantage of carts, and - yeah - Yoshi's Island looks gorgeous.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
oh and biggest generational leap i've seen is going from games that looked like this :
SabreWulf2.jpg

to this
Knight+Lore+2.jpg
Yea Knight Lore pretty much defied belief when it came out, it looked like a generational jump from any game available on the platform(hell, even other platforms).

DCharlie

Banned
Yea Knight Lore pretty much defied belief when it came out, it looked like a generational jump from any game available on the platform(hell, even other platforms).

I remember as a kid going to the local game store and just a mass of people looking at the tv running it in utter disbelief at what they were seeing.

like you say, it was so far ahead of anything on the platform it was like a "what is this magic from the future?!"

tha_devil

I got you all beat.
Notice my answer clearly adheres to the rules in the OP :p
What was the largest improvement in graphics between two consecutive games of the same franchise within a single console generation?

Zelda Four Swords Adventures (GC, 2004)
zelda-four-swords-adventures-b.jpg

Zelda Twilight Princess (GC, 2006)
zelda_tp3.jpg

I think you reversed the screenshots, since ZFSA, looks much better imho.

i-Lo

I was thinking about this while playing Halo 4 and noticing just how much better it looked than Halo: Reach.

The question I'm posing is; What was the largest improvement in graphics between two consecutive games of the same franchise within a single console generation?

I'm not talking about the difference between Fifa 07 to Fifa 13, but rather Fifa 08 to Fifa 09. Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2 counts, but Mass Effect to Mass Effect 3 doesn't.

Make sense?

Obviously this question can't apply to PC games. *dodges tomatoes*

Read the damn OP before posting people.

Subaru

I like DoA5, but the backgrounds (and the soundtrack) are truly disappointing. Not because AA or resolutions and this stuff, because they're boring. For me, DoA is the only fighting series that really heave good backgrounds...

Samusupi 1 -> 2 -> 3

samurai-shodown-earthquake.jpg

ss2screen2.jpg

samurai_shodown_3_cd.jpg

KAL2006

Banned
The NeoGeo did this so many times

Samurai Shodown 2 to 3
RBFF2 to Garou MOTW
Sengoku 2 to Sengoku 3
Art of Fighting 2 to 3

Top Bottom