• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Sales | Overlooked, non-featured deals & recommendations (ONLY)

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Ugh, this is frustrating. I have too many games to play but I want that badge. So I figured I'd just pick up DLC for pennies.

But I think I may have talked myself up to buying Dungeons Gold. Because...I don't know.

Anyhoo. One of the cheaper options I was pondering was Arx Fatalis, and something I found will be of interest to folks who are similarly pondering or have already purchased: The source code was released awhile back and folks have ported the whole game over to more modern system friendly engines. Called Arx Liberatatis it now apparently runs on modern Windows and Linux. You'll need the original game, or the demo for the assets though.

I don't have any personal experience with it, but I always think fan made updates are cool, so there you go.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So eh, Stranger's Wrath pc version... I read this was a complete disaster when it came out, is it safe to get this now? Has it been patched? Or is the PS3 version the better option?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
So eh, Stranger's Wrath pc version... I read this was a complete disaster when it came out, is it safe to get this now? Has it been patched? Or is the PS3 version the better option?

It sounds like the PC version has been patched to more stable and playable since the initial release, but the Enhanced HD content of the PS3 version hasn't hit the PC yet.

So,

PC: Probably playable, but none of the extras of the PS3 version. But the HD version is about to or already in beta and will probably be out before the end of the year? It'll be a free update to anyone who already has the Steam version.

PS3 Version: Has all the bells and whistles and is already out.

So, if you wanted to play right now, get the PS3 version.

All this is gleaned from the Steam news page and the Steam forums.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2460212

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Fortix 2 is best described as a reverse turret defense game.
I've always hated this description and it put me off of the game until I actually checked it out and discovered it was Qix with a fantasy setting. I fucking love this game and put in over 20 hours.

Anyhoo. One of the cheaper options I was pondering was Arx Fatalis, and something I found will be of interest to folks who are similarly pondering or have already purchased: The source code was released awhile back and folks have ported the whole game over to more modern system friendly engines. Called Arx Liberatatis it now apparently runs on modern Windows and Linux. You'll need the original game, or the demo for the assets though.

I don't have any personal experience with it, but I always think fan made updates are cool, so there you go.

awesome, i just picked Arx up because i have wanted to play it since it came out a decade ago. thanks for the handy link.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't see anything interesting at all in that.

It's a good idea for a thread though.

Puzzle Quest is the best one on there. But I already two copies of the game, both on console. I don't need a third version. :/

demidar

Here are my impressions of Puzzle Quest (1): Fuck that game. I was originally attracted to the game because of the RPG elements and skill system, having your own citadel was cool, and utterly crushing your opponents was awesome. But that drops away 10 hours into the game, simply because the enemies level with you. Congrats devs, you single-handedly killed your game in one move. Fights begin to drag on, which leads to the opponent being psychic and chaining shit from off the boards. The fact that you can only swap two pieces once means that setups are useless because the CPU will just steal it, find something you've overlooked, or fuck it up with their own psychic chain. It's just not active enough, which would be fine if their was some actual strategy to the base gameplay. Then when your walking around the map all these lvl 25 diseased rats/orc/spiders/bats/ogres/skeletons/wights/riders that have 150 health yet provide no challenge, it's so tedious. I eventually found a cheesing strategy
forge equipment that gives damage per full mana pool then just build it up, never using your skills
but then what's the point of playing a strategy/puzzle game then?

Conclusion: Get something else /rant

Jimrpg

Here are my impressions of Puzzle Quest (1): Fuck that game. I was originally attracted to the game because of the RPG elements and skill system, having your own citadel was cool, and utterly crushing your opponents was awesome. But that drops away 10 hours into the game, simply because the enemies level with you. Congrats devs, you single-handedly killed your game in one move. Fights begin to drag on, which leads to the opponent being psychic and chaining shit from off the boards. The fact that you can only swap two pieces once means that setups are useless because the CPU will just steal it, find something you've overlooked, or fuck it up with their own psychic chain. It's just not active enough, which would be fine if their was some actual strategy to the base gameplay. Then when your walking around the map all these lvl 25 diseased rats/orc/spiders/bats/ogres/skeletons/wights/riders that have 150 health yet provide no challenge, it's so tedious. I eventually found a cheesing strategy
forge equipment that gives damage per full mana pool then just build it up, never using your skills
but then what's the point of playing a strategy/puzzle game then?

Conclusion: Get something else /rant

i think its a good game for what it is - u are just 5 years late. no one had seen anything like it then and were willing to put up with its deficiencies. Here in Melbourne I went to one of the dev's talks. Did you know it was only one guy that did the programming? and that he did the gameplay in a couple of hours? When he said that I realised that the game wasn't very deep just very random to keep it different.

I think if there is a rant it is that the warrior is very offensive which reduces the amount of time spent per opponent, whereas i think it was the wizard who was very defensive which meant it was freaking annoying to defeat enemies... that was the biggest issue for me.

I've never played a Puzzle Quest game and the first one is 50% off right now for 4,99, but should I just go for Puzzle Quest 2?

I thought Puzzle Quest 1 was much more engaging than PQ2 but i guess maybe i was bored of the concept by the time PQ2 came around. PQ2 just felt tedious

This is my last pick up of the sale, I purchased Legend of Fae and Analogue: A Hate Story because of thread. In return I'll make two recommendations:

Who's That Flying
$2.03
header_292x136.jpg

I just picked this up today too. Never played on PC but the PS Minis version is great. Its a simple shump with some humor mixed in and a great artstyle.

Mini Ninjas
$8.99
header_292x136.jpg

My pick for game of the generation but I recognize I'm alone in that fact. Kind of pricey given the deals during the sale but if you like cartoony action games this is an excellent game.

Also, I second what everyone has said about Waves but you can not stress how great the soundtrack is.

demidar

i think its a good game for what it is - u are just 5 years late. no one had seen anything like it then and were willing to put up with its deficiencies. Here in Melbourne I went to one of the dev's talks. Did you know it was only one guy that did the programming? and that he did the gameplay in a couple of hours? When he said that I realised that the game wasn't very deep just very random to keep it different.

I think if there is a rant it is that the warrior is very offensive which reduces the amount of time spent per opponent, whereas i think it was the wizard who was very defensive which meant it was freaking annoying to defeat enemies... that was the biggest issue for me.

That's actually might impressive! Is that dude doing anything else? He can stand to have a designer maybe go through the gameplay bits but still impressive. The guy behind Terraria is also a wizard and he made that game in a really short time, I don't remember the actual amount, but he's moved on to other non-game stuff which is a shame really.

OT: Before I read this thread the damage count was $0.

After?
eo47l.png

M4KBE.png

Goddamn you guys.

I demand a better sales pitch for Section 8 : Prejudice in the OP.

"Best known for its "burn in" spawn mechanic, this is an fps with a focus on large maps, control points, deployable vehicles and structures, and dynamic combat missions (DCMs).

If you liked Section 8 or you just fancy a cheap, traditional shooter with a few neat gimmicks thrown in, then Section 8: Prejudice will deliver the goods with efficiency, if not with flair."

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
That's actually might impressive! Is that dude doing anything else? He can stand to have a designer maybe go through the gameplay bits but still impressive. The guy behind Terraria is also a wizard and he made that game in a really short time, I don't remember the actual amount, but he's moved on to other non-game stuff which is a shame really.

After?
eo47l.png

M4KBE.png

Goddamn you guys.

That list is mighty delicious. Good choices.

DenisQc

Its actually really great, in case you want to know why:

The main reason is the variation the puzzles provide. It starts of with some basic rules like the numbers all needing to be represented in a row. Where it truly shines is the addition of more intricate rules that make combining these to get to the end result very rewarding. Here is an example of an easy level:

Even = only even numbers.
6x = all numbers multiplied need to add up to 6
5+ = all numbers need to add up to 5
<,> = Take care of the "needs to be smaller than" or "needs to be higher than rules".

Those are already fun, but the more you play:

.. the more diverse the type of combinatoric puzzles become. This certain double puzzle additionally requires the numbers to be entered on both fields, so the numbers you are looking for need to be consistent with the requirements on both sides.

Fun game and in my opinion way more motivating than a bare collection of Sudoku puzzles since it offers more variety.

i concur :) 300 hours on this game :)

Bradach

I plan on picking up Wings of Prey shortly. It's a WW 2 flight sim. Looks great and is only €3.75. Anyone in here tried it?

Petrie

Banned
1 hour left. Found most things I want. Now I'm looking for cheap suggestions my girl might enjoy. Loves stuff like Puzzle Quest and PvZ. Suggestions?

Danneee

I can recommend Stacked and Hard Reset. Those two games were great.

Great!
Any opions on Dungeons people? So far I´ve onle seen one person recommend it...

edit: Think I´ll skip on Dungeons after reading some of the MC user reviews...

After?
eo47l.png

M4KBE.png

Goddamn you guys.

Those are good games but Lone Survivor and Ys will almost certainly be cheaper in the winter sale if you already have enough games to play.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Sitting with Stacked, Hard Reset and Dungeons TDL in my cart.

What say you GAF? Pull the trigger?

Great!
Any opions on Dungeons people? So far I´ve onle seen one person recommend it...

edit: Think I´ll skip on Dungeons after reading some of the MC user reviews...

If anything, get the first Dungeons since its cheaper and has more content. Yes, there is only one person recommending it, because I am seemingly the only person here who played it :p

Here is the OT
At least, watch this vid and ignore his Dungeon Keeper comments. If you think that looks interesting its worth a buy.

Also, the user reviews are a HORRIBLE indication because people were butthurt it was not the game they were expecting, plus it had a few launch day issues which have now been fixed.

These games are not perfect, but by no means a 65% metacritic.

Gaspode_T

My last splurge this morning included these little gems:

Delve Deeper + Treasures and Tunnels
Divine Divinity
Faerie Solitaire
Broken Sword - Trilogy pack
Nimbus
Diamond Dan
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle
Time Gentlemen, Please!

Toma

My last splurge this morning included these little gems:

Delve Deeper + Treasures and Tunnels
Divine Divinity
Faerie Solitaire
Broken Sword - Trilogy pack
Nimbus
Diamond Dan
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle
Time Gentlemen, Please!

I was considering making a recommendation post about Delve Deeper too, but I didnt have a clue how to even start recommending it. Fun little game though, especially in local MP.

Gaspode_T

Argh damn I forgot to buy the old Robin Hood game I wanted to get...hmm....maybe it will go on sale some other times

In terms of indie games my favorites so far are:

Wizorb
VVVVV
Tiny and Big
Serious Sam Double D
Hack, Slash, Loot
Jamestown

If you don't own Sequence you should too...

Extra shout out to the games that aren't even on Steam that deserve your attention: Escape Goat, Cute Things Dying Violently, La Mulana

Eternia

Another recommendation for Waves. Definitely far more varied and interesting than Geometry Wars 1.

Most of the modes are very similar to the ones found in Geometry Wars 2. Basic set time attack, survival, pacifist, challenges but there are some unique modes as well. The controls are a little stiff with how your sphere moves, takes some time getting used to it. Outside of your main gun (haven't noticed any upgrades to it though), you have slow-mo ability and bombs at your disposal. Different enemies are coloured and shaped differently (of course!) and follow their own patterns. Certain enemies can only be killed by bombs.

A nice little package for $3, worth it to me!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
To those of you who picked up Arx Fatalis, this is worth checking out: http://arx-libertatis.org/
Arkane made the game open source so now people have fiddled with the engine to eliminate bugs and make it work on modern systems and operating systems, including Linux and stuff. Pretty dope!

Edit: Just tried it out myself, fixes the framerate issues when a lot of text is displayed and odd graphical glitches like flickering textures near torches. They're gonna add more later, like pixel shaders and other goodies :D

Edit #2: About the game itself, voice acting aside, it's very moody, lot's of creepy ambience, combat is like Morrowind unfortunately, but landing hits doesn't seem to be as random.

Schlomo

To those of you who picked up Arx Fatalis, this is worth checking out: http://arx-libertatis.org/
Arkane made the game open source so now people have fiddled with the engine to eliminate bugs and make it work on modern systems and operating systems, including Linux and stuff. Pretty dope!

It really runs a lot better, but it seems to be incomplete, for example the sounds for the runes are missing. I hope they continue working on it.

Gaspode_T

Nevermind, Robin Hood be mine...along with Hard Reset, Waves and a couple other games :| Valve please end this thing now, oh the wallet humanity

Paprikka

One of my favorite parts of the sale, I picked up several great games thanks to the thread from the last sale. I just wish I would've started looking around at games earlier, had to cut it short and buy before the sale ended.

Still picked up:

Analogue: A Hate Story
Gundemonium Collection
Pixeljunk Eden
Noitu Love 2 Devolution

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It really runs a lot better, but it seems to be incomplete, for example the sounds for the runes are missing. I hope they continue working on it.

Well, 1.0 was released 3 months ago, 1.0.2 was released only last month, so they're most likely working on it still :).

Edit: You can choose the audio backend (Think you might have to restart for it to take effect) in the Audio settings, maybe that'll help you with your missing sound. That or just updating OpenAL. I don't find it mentioned anywhere else.

--
http://arx.parpg.net/Mission_statement

God I hope they finish, all that sounds marvelous :). Added shaders and retexturing and new models and my my! Let's hope there are people who want to create that content when (and if) it's easy to implement.

Schlomo

Well, 1.0 was released 3 months ago, 1.0.2 was released only last month, so they're most likely working on it still :).

Edit: You can choose the audio backend (Think you might have to restart for it to take effect) in the Audio settings, maybe that'll help you with your missing sound. That or just updating OpenAL. I don't find it mentioned anywhere else.

Thank you, it seems to work now. I had changed the sound options around in order to get surround sound, and that seems to have caused the glitch. Or it just randomly happens, who knows.

ksdixon

I walked away from this STEAM Sale with it being my most successful Steam Sale.

I recently read a Hitman 2 debate thread here on NeoGAF which pin-pointed Hitman: Blood Money as the apex of the classic Hitman engine. After rushing to my brother's house I found out he only had Hitman 2 on PS2, which I already knew I didn't like for it's fiddly controls. Picked it up for only a couple of quid. So far could tolerate the PC controls, but hoping it works with controller too when I try it with that.

After not being incredibly impressed with Super Meat Boy around the time of it's release when people were raving about it, I decided to give it a shot for the low sale price. Perfectly pleasant game, happy to play it for what I paid for it, was probably having a bad night whenever I tried it out previously.

Just grabbed the £2.50 Jade Empire. Hoping it's from that old Jade something or other game series I first heard about on the PS2; where you capture and train monsters to fight - sorta like Pokemon I guess. Always wanted to try out one of those games in the past but never found one.

Finally: I came for Binary Domain and I left with Binary Domain for £10.something. Very happy with this purchase specifically, and all-in-all I don't think I went over £20. Very pleased.

It turns out that if I hadn't have jumped-on BulletStorm for £3.45 and Sonic Generations for £6.99 during the last Winter Sale it would have been OK, because both sales were repeated/bettered in this Summer Sale.

Top Bottom