• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Sales | Overlooked, non-featured deals & recommendations (ONLY)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
TomaAlex Recommends Strategy games, realizes its the 3 that he got me to buy.

+ For CivRome. I suck at it, but it was fun.

Yep, fun game and fun thread. I'd love to revisit the thread with a focus on another city builder but cant find the time to set this up atm. Who knows, maybe when one of them gets a weekend/midweek deal.

mannerbot

Ugh, I can't believe how much I want to buy stupid SquareLogic when I passed on it before because I thought $1.25 was too much for some stinky sudoku puzzles. lol

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
I've always wanted to play Drakensang: River of Time, and it does appear to be discounted. Anyone here played it? Some of the discussion in the Steam forums suggests they stopped applying patches to the Steam version of the game?

Ryu

Alriiiight. I need to admit that the demo doesnt give you access to much, and apparently there is also a career mode and a championship mode to check out. Bullet points:
- 9 tracks with 40 some variations (Alterations of the track layout)
- Split screen MP
- 20 cars split across 4 categories

Hm. I'd love to say that I am sort of lukewarm on this game as I only experienced a demo, but... I dont think this game is appealing at all. The art style is a matter of taste of course:

..but I think my main problem was the core gameplay. Something with the handling, acceleration, speed and camera was just off. Might be the cars I got to use in the demo for some of these concerns, but it was too slow for my taste. Here is a gameplay video of Bang Bang Racing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT3DUOC9yBI and as comparison another one of Motorstorm RC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovmbmhfvHvY&feature=related

I am also a bit concerned about longevity since my biggest motivation to play through Motorstorm RC were leaderboards and unlocking 200 cars + different color options. From my initial impressions, this seems like a subpar rendition of a game in the RC racing "subgenre". Unfortunately, there arent many games like that out there, so its not like you have a huge choice. I guess its decent enough if you absolutely crave for an RC game. If you have a PS3/Vita, get Motorstorm instead though :-o

Thank you for being so thorough. I appreciate that. :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ugh, I can't believe how much I want to buy stupid SquareLogic when I passed on it before because I thought $1.25 was too much for some stinky sudoku puzzles. lol

Its actually really great, in case you want to know why:

The main reason is the variation the puzzles provide. It starts of with some basic rules like the numbers all needing to be represented in a row. Where it truly shines is the addition of more intricate rules that make combining these to get to the end result very rewarding. Here is an example of an easy level:

5214195156_2d7521a4b6_o.jpg

Even = only even numbers.
6x = all numbers multiplied need to add up to 6
5+ = all numbers need to add up to 5
<,> = Take care of the "needs to be smaller than" or "needs to be higher than rules".

Those are already fun, but the more you play:
.. the more diverse the type of combinatoric puzzles become. This certain double puzzle additionally requires the numbers to be entered on both fields, so the numbers you are looking for need to be consistent with the requirements on both sides.

Fun game and in my opinion way more motivating than a bare collection of Sudoku puzzles since it offers more variety.

Toma

Just picked up Scratches and Dark Fall: Lost Souls. Want to stay up now...

You just bought 2 adventures, but maybe you'll survive a recommendation for a third one barely costing over 1 buck. Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals. I havent played enough of it yet to feel comfortable with writing a big recommendation post, but the beginning had me hooked and I REALLY liked the dystopian Paris setting and style the puzzles were presented in.

Here is a good IGN review, but seriously, try it for 1 buck. Most of the reviews I stumbled upon werent too fond of it, but I really liked my first impressions. Looking forward to give it another try at one point.

mannerbot

The main reason is the variation the puzzles provide. It starts of with some basic rules like the numbers all needing to be represented in a row. Where it truly shines is the addition of more intricate rules that make combining these to get to the end result very rewarding. Here is an example of an easy level:

Even = only even numbers.
6x = all numbers multiplied need to add up to 6
5+ = all numbers need to add up to 5
<,> = Take care of the "needs to be smaller than" or "needs to be higher than rules".

Those are already fun, but the more you play:

.. the more diverse the type of combinatoric puzzles become. This certain double puzzle additionally requires the numbers to be entered on both fields, so the numbers you are looking for need to be consistent with the requirements on both sides.

Fun game and in my opinion way more motivating than a bare collection of Sudoku puzzles since it offers more variety.

Yeah, will definitely be picking it up next sale. How did you hear about it getting put back on Steam, by the way? I actually went to the dev's website trying to figure out why it wasn't on Steam anymore about a month ago.

Toma

Giving Freedom Force double pack serious thought.

Never played any of the games? Pick it up if you like what you see, VERY fun and hilarious games. My memory might be a bit hazy since its 10 years since I played the first one, but I think they are still very much enjoyable today. Be warned though that playing one game might be enough over the top craziness, so you might not touch the 2nd for a while. Good games, both of them, though.

Toma

Yeah, will definitely be picking it up next sale. How did you hear about it getting put back on Steam, by the way? I actually went to the dev's website trying to figure out why it wasn't on Steam anymore about a month ago.

The power of google:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2776324
KHarward(developer of EG:SL) said:
The distribution rights for SquareLogic have reverted back to us, TrueThought, the independent developers who created the game. It was previously distributed on Steam by MumboJumbo.

We are hoping Valve gives us the opportunity to continue to sell and update SquareLogic on Steam. We're waiting to hear from them. We very much want to continue to use Steam as our primary distribution platform for SquareLogic.

Ken

Gamejunky

See, gamejunky? I told you to run, now its too late :mad:
He played CivRev, so he should be fine with the core mechanics of the series. In the end Civ 4 is simply the better game if you want to go a step up and learn a few more intricate aspects of what this genre offers. Civ 5 is sort of the step in between, but if you think you are able to learn a bit to enjoy a game, get 4 instead.

Edit: Also considering the change in price between 4 (including all addons) to 5 (even without addons, but the addon itself will cost an additional 25 bucks)

Thanks for the replies, so is 3 worth getting too? Only asking because it's 2.49 so seems like a good deal. Oh and I just added Nikopol to my cart pretty fast, thanks Toma

Fredescu

It was the game I wanted to recommend for the community badge. It was then that I realised it was no longer on Steam. They won't let you recommend a game that isn't on Steam anymore. I put 122 hours into it.

MachoSuave

Neo Member
Thank you for being so thorough. I appreciate that. :)

If you haven't already made your mind up I'd like to throw my opinion on the game into the ring if I may: I love it.

The demo is really not a good way to sample the speed and handling of all the cars in this game as it only contains tier 1 of the 4 racing tiers available, a very short-sighted decision by the dev team I would add.

This video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdmR-09ihiY
Is the only one I can find that shows footage of the later tiers, he starts with tier 2 and changes to 3 at about 4:40. As you can see it gets a whole lot faster as you progress through the game, handling increases as cars get slicker and environments vary greatly between levels with desert/snow/fiesta/cherry blossom themes and so on.

On the topic of longevity, you're buying into a single-player experience here, which is put simply: annoying as hell, as I'd have loved to play this thing online for as long as I did similar titles like Skydrift and Hydro Thunder. Despite this I still hold that the experience I had was plenty deserving of the 10 bucks I paid.

If a complete stranger on the internet's recommendation means anything to you, you have it.

Toma

If you haven't already made your mind up I'd like to throw my opinion on the game into the ring if I may: I love it.

The demo is really not a good way to sample the speed and handling of all the cars in this game as it only contains tier 1 of the 4 racing tiers available, a very short-sighted decision by the dev team I would add.

Thanks for the actual hands on impressions! Glad some people liked it, but yeah, they really did a bad job with the demo. Just curious, but did you play Motorstorm RC?

Blizzard

Banned
Get only 4 instead, best game of the series, which makes the other entries before obsolete and shames the one that came after. Now run away before someone tells you differently.
I think I found 4 really dull/confusing. But, the startup/menu music is nice. Civ 5 was pretty awesome, and I actually finished an entire game with it.

I've read that this is the best one- but is it better to play the earlier games for the sake of the story? And is the story engaging?

Honestly I've never been too into the story with them. The core tactical gameplay is excellent, but the story was always just generic fantasy filler to me. I'd go ahead and just jump straight to Shadow Magic.

Toma

Thanks for the replies, so is 3 worth getting too? Only asking because it's 2.49 so seems like a good deal. Oh and I just added Nikopol to my cart pretty fast, thanks Toma

Its a good game too, I just cant see myself going back to 3 after playing 4 except for nostalgic reasons (I still love the graphics of 3). In all honesty, the other guys are right though. If you really feel like wanting to take one step at a time and be eased into a game, Civ 5 IS more friendly (because, among other reasons, it omitted many features compared to 4).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
What's GAF's opinion on NightSky, Cargo and Capsized? I won't be able to pick up all 3 unless I add more funds to my wallet (which I may end up doing, btw).

Dingotech

Seriously considering the following but still haven't pulled the trigger.

Tobe's Vertical Adventure
Toki Tori
Shatter
Ys: Oath in Felghana

$10 total.... if it was me out and needing some lunch I wouldn't hesitate to spend the $$. I don't know why I get so worked up about spending a few bucks on my favourite hobby. >_<

MachoSuave

Neo Member
Thanks for the actual hands on impressions! Glad some people liked it, but yeah, they really did a bad job with the demo. Just curious, but did you play Motorstorm RC?

I have not, so can't draw any comparisons, but your post above comparing it to BBR has put in to the top of my to-check-out list. If it's basically BBR with a boaload more content then I'm sold already.

Gamejunky

Its a good game too, I just cant see myself going back to 3 after playing 4 except for nostalgic reasons (I still love the graphics of 3). In all honesty, the other guys are right though. If you really feel like wanting to take one step at a time and be eased into a game, Civ 5 IS more friendly (because, among other reasons, it omitted many features compared to 4).

Apprieciate the advice and i'm gonna do Civ III just so I can experience it before eventually going on to 4 and 5 (Steam sale be damned) my last batch of games:

TtA02.jpg

Toma

What's GAF's opinion on NightSky, Cargo and Capsized? I won't be able to pick up all 3 unless I add more funds to my wallet (which I may end up doing, btw).

They are all not "Bad" and have people who like them. My opinion on Cargo:
Cargo has another issue entirely. Its very rough around the edges, often reminding me more of a crude mod than a polished full fledged game, HOWEVER it still manages to weave several ideas into something strangely appealing and fun. If you need polish in your games, avoid it though.

Seriously considering the following but still haven't pulled the trigger.

Tobe's Vertical Adventure
Toki Tori
Shatter
Ys: Oath in Felghana

$10 total.... if it was me out and needing some lunch I wouldn't hesitate to spend the $$. I don't know why I get so worked up about spending a few bucks on my favourite hobby. >_<

Tobe has a demo and apparently some control issues, but I really like the depth and challenge of the core gameplay.

Toki Tori is a fun puzzle platformer which can get VERY hard since its not only about finding the perfect path, but also executing it timeley, and I know I will never touch it again if there is no summer sale achievement attached to it.

Shatter is a fun and modern breakout variant, though not the best Breakout game I ever played.

Ys is on my to buy list too.

Sounds like a great shopping list for 10 bucks. Maybe I'd omit Toki Tori if you were expecting a platformer based on thinking only, but the others are def. worth playing.

Artofwar420

Okay! Last stop for me during this sale. Any of these are totally misses? Anything I might be forgetting? I have about 20 dollars left, so I could add a 2 dollar game. Thanks everyone!

Edit: That's what I finally went with. Awesome sale.

Toma

Apprieciate the advice and i'm gonna do Civ III just so I can experience it before eventually going on to 4 and 5 (Steam sale be damned) my last batch of games:

Now that is a great idea. Going through the Civs chronologically! Smart. You might actually be able to get Civ V and expansion at a decent price then ;)

Toma

Okay! Last stop for me during this sale. Any of these are totally misses? Anything I might be forgetting? I have about 20 dollars left, so I could add a 2 dollar game. Thanks everyone!

Looks good, random 2$ recommendations:

A Freedom Force game
Wizorb
Broken Sword 1
Scratches

Dingotech

Tobe has a demo and apparently some control issues, but I really like the depth and challenge of the core gameplay.

Toki Tori is a fun puzzle platformer which can get VERY hard since its not only about finding the perfect path, but also executing it timley, and I know I will never touch it again if there is no summer sale achievement attached to it.

Shatter is a fun and modern breakout variant, though not the best Breakout game I every played.

Ys is on my to buy list too.

Sounds like a great shopping list for 10 bucks. Maybe I'd omit Toki Tori, but the others are def. worth playing.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I wish I was at home so I could play some of the demos, stuck at work though and an early night tonight.... I might try and squeeze some demo play it before bed though!

Toki Tori always seems to be talked about and comes up as an achievement game, hence looking at it. But it sounds like one I could skip.

Shatter seems to get raved about on GAF so I thought I should give it a shot. The sound track does sound really good on the trailer video.

jgminto

Posted it in the review thread but I'll repeat it here. Analogue A Hate Story is amazing and definitely worth $4.99. Try it even if you aren't into that genre.
screenshot0002-e1335881585541.png

Analogue: A Hate Story Time played: 4 hours
Analogue is a visual novel. That will probably scare most people away but don't go just yet because it's absolutely fantastic.

It opens with you the player being sent to investigate the Mugunghwa, a Korean colonisation spaceship that was lost many years ago. Your objective is to retrieve the logs from the ship and return them to your organisation. But when you are greeted by the AI *Hyun-ae you open the door to an isolated world of male-dominated society and monarchy politics.

Gameplay involves the player interfacing with the system through both a command-driven interface to interact with the ship's primary systems and a menu and yes/no decision interface when viewing files with an AI. While the gameplay does offer a few puzzles a some points, it's definitely not the main draw of Analogue.

As *Hyun-ae, and later another AI *Mute guide you through what transpired on the Mugunghwa you will delve into the sad tales of many of the former residents. And this is something Analogue does brilliantly. As you search for files and query them with the AIs you are reading into the diaries and private conversations of the high society of the ship, and viewing their skewed society's view in issues like gender equality, homosexuality, our own perceived worth and being a "true gentleman". And Christine Love deals with these issues superbly. These issues aren't taken lightly and as a result it can become quite a harrowing tale.

Another thing that Love does well is sexual content. Analogue has none of it, in the usual sense anyway. You are delving into the lives of the passengers of this ship and for some, that includes their sexual lives. But this never becomes an erotic story and that is something that really benefits it.

Overall it is a fantastic visual novel with a genuinely moving story with characters you will become attached to. Even for those unfamiliar with the genre it is a definite recommend for its engrossing narrative.

5 Stars

Note: For those that enjoyed or are interested in Analogue, I recommend playing "don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story". While Love's previous work doesn't keep the far futuristic setting, it does include the intriguing story and issues. You are a new teacher in a near future high school who has access to the social media accounts of your students allowing you a constant view into their thoughts. A unique mechanic that leads to some really interesting results. And it's free so you have no excuse.

Aaron

Blades of Time is the best deal I've gotten in this sale. I've put four hours into it so far and it's been mostly excellent. Well polished and great variety in enemies, abilities, and environments. The only weak link is the story, which is more or less gibberish, but can be skipped.

Toma

Holy crap that's high. So from what I gather the third one is not as great? Which would make the triple pack not recommended? But yeah, I think I'll go with BS1.

Avoid it like the plague. After playing 1+2 you'll join us in ignoring that a third game has ever been released.

megalowho

I pulled the trigger on Myst V for 50% off ($5). Lost the thread on the Myst series a few games in but had read that they'd done a good job with the final entry. So far it seems like it could be worth spending some time with for likeminded lapsed fans, don't think it ever hit 75% so this is the lowest it's gonna go for now.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Blades of Time is the best deal I've gotten in this sale. I've put four hours into it so far and it's been mostly excellent. Well polished and great variety in enemies, abilities, and environments. The only weak link is the story, which is more or less gibberish, but can be skipped.

Loved the demo and now I'm really considering buying it and Ys Oath over say Arma 2.

The first game is on Steam but it's not on sale. Strange.

Ah , damn. Meant to check this out for a while now. Turned out good? Or just "better than 3"?

It's not as good as the first two but I prefer it over three and four. Not by much and honestly a large part of that is because it remained in 2D as opposed to the unpleasant look of three/four, plus it explains more about what happened between two and three.

Jintor

All you Analogue lovers coming out of the woodwork, where were you when the official thread was still going huh? D:

Dingotech

Should I buy Torchlight if I just bought Oblivion GOTY? Both are RPG's and I'm not sure if dungeon crawlers are my thing.

Very different games.

Torchlight is a loot driven game, have you ever liked that aspect of a game? Do you enjoy games like Borderlands, or Dead Island?

Very different games.

Torchlight is a loot driven game, have you ever liked that aspect of a game? Do you enjoy games like Borderlands, or Dead Island?

I enjoyed Borderlands yes. Tried Dead Island a few times and did not enjoy it yet. Gonna keep trying over time. Can't be buying games I won't play now...(looks at other games yet to play)

Toma

Should I buy Torchlight if I just bought Oblivion GOTY? Both are RPG's and I'm not sure if dungeon crawlers are my thing.

Oblivion will keep you plenty busy, and Torchlight is the very definition of a dungeon crawler since the game consists of nothing but a single big dungeon. From the looks of it, Torchlight 2 will become miles better than 1, so I'd probably get that instead when that goes on its first sale in a year or something. On the other hand, getting Torchlight 1 now would be a cheap way to check whether you can actually handle the genre, but I am sure there MUST be some free games out there to check that out instead of wasting money on a game you wont like.

I enjoyed Borderlands yes. Tried Dead Island a few times and did not enjoy it yet. Gonna keep trying over time. Can't be buying games I won't play now...(looks at other games yet to play)

Er.. you just bought Oblivion, I guess you are fine without buying Torchlight for the moment :p

mrwilt

header_292x136.jpg

Only $3.75

Great old-schoolish Sci-Fi shooter, features a transforming gun. It was just updated with new free content too.

Just downloaded the demo. Had a blast so went ahead and purchased it. Can't beat it at that price.

Top Bottom