• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Sales | Overlooked, non-featured deals & recommendations (ONLY)

Okay, I can't resist for the £9.72 the lot costs. Thanks!

I also picked up the Pendulo adventure bundle when it was a daily/flash (I can't remember which) last week, so I'll be adventuring away for many moons thanks to this sale.

Edit: Will look at Post Mortem too.

Yeah, had to edit in a bit more info for you. Anyway, you've got a lot of good ones. Runaway 1 and 2 in particular I really loved, though feelings on those games are mixed from people who have played them.

IrishNinja

Katamari fans be warned! the wonderful end of the world is not good.

debating Lost Horizon for $5, which Ys Origin was about that price. few others on that list look good too.

deejay

Reposted recommendation for Whispered world:

Trailer

http://store.steampowered.com/app/18490/

Okay since these were the last new deals anyway, I might want to get your attention to a game I wasnt even aware of being on Steam. I LOVED it, and here were my original impressions:

I really liked the Tales of Monkey Island and the Sam and Max games as well, but there werent many other "classical" adventure games on par in my opinion. it really pushes the feeling Sierra was going for.

Oh and its beautiful:

awhisperedworld_03.png

Whispered_World_1.jpg

Fair warning, though: The cinematics are not as beautiful as the rest of the game and the voice of the main character might get annoying.

And again: Here is the trailer.
http://www.gamershell.com/tv/25228.html

:)

Thinking about this game makes me feel happy. Its also actually the only game me, my girlfriend and my sister played through. My sister hasnt touched any videogame since Diablo 2 and just for the record: Its about 20 hours long.

I'll be back with some "new" impressions on some other games later if I have the time.

Crap, it's still €20 over here :/
But looks interesting :D

Omikaru

Sequence was made by someone on GAF, correct? I've heard really great things about it.

It's very good. I got around to playing it this weekend (after feep had given it to us all for free all that time ago) and I'm really digging it. Already recommended it to my PC and Xbox 360 pals who like rhythm games and RPGs.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Thanks to this thread, I bought Audiosurf.
An amazing game for that price.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
header_292x136.jpg

SMNC Turbocross Bundle - $3.75

Yes, I'm going to suggest DLC for a F2P game, because I can. Thing is- the game is fun (most of the time), just incredibly hard on new players. They recently changed Turbocross so it's much more casual and more like the original MNC, so now there's an actual way to start to learn the game. And for less than what a single pro usually costs, this gives you six of them. And it's at least one of each class, so you don't have to mess about with the whole pro rotation silliness no matter which role you wind up liking.

Glix

Crap, it's still €20 over here :/
But looks interesting :D

Amazing game, but the main characters voice actually makes the game almost unplayable with sound.

It is incredible how much it drags down an otherwise wonderful game.

Shurayuki

This, i have heard this mentioned a couple times now, is it really only regular Solitaire with fairies or is there a "twist" to it that makes it worth a second look then?

Since it seems there isn't a demo on steam there is a trial version on their homepage. I guess it's a bit hard to explain, they added a few "gamey" elements which really makes it more interesting (missions, raising pets, powers, purchasable upgrades). Wario64's most played game! Check out the trial.

mannerbot

What's so special about Faerie Solitaire?

I know it's got to be disconcerting to see people suggest that you actually pay for a solitaire game, but the game is cheap and it'd be hard not to get your money's worth. I'm not sure exactly why I liked the game so much personally so I apologize if I'm not helping much, but I enjoyed it enough to 100% it with the exception of the last two luck-based achievements that will probably take forever. It's just a well-made solitaire game with achievements.

There's a web demo here of the iOS version if it helps you decide, but the real game is quite different:
http://subsoap.com/games/faerie-solitaire-prismatic/

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I can't decide between World of Goo, Pixeljunk Eden, and Hard Reset. Which one should I get?

Definitely World of Goo if you never played it. Wonderful game.

sixghost

Jamestown 60% off for $4 and its DLC ships are on sale as well.
fCtUp.jpg

Truly fun shoot em up with lots of bonus unlockable content, side missions, and some really cool ships to choose from. It has a weird mashup of colonial america meets mars as its setting. Fuuuuuuuuuun game.

Serious Sam Double D 66% off $2.71
HiiPR.jpg

A crazy over the top metal slug type game set in the Serious Sam universe. You can STACK your guns on top of each other and shoot them all. Its insane. Total blast.

Jamestown is awesome. The soundtrack is fantastic, and there are something like 6 difficulty levels to ease you into the game. I started on the default difficulty, and by the time I was done with that game, I was very comfortable playing on the 2nd highest.

jbueno

Misadventures of PB Winderbotton for $2.50 is a pretty good deal for a nice puzzler-platformers. Can't post pics now because I'm on my phone.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Quick mention for the Dungeons series. Here is the OT I made.

As all my OTs here on GAF, its rather long and wordy, I'll refrain from posting all of it, but this is probably the interesting part.

Click here for a very well done gameplay description youtube vid (Please ignore his Dungeon Keeper comments.)

Alright! So here it goes.

I wouldn't say that this is my favorite game/series ever, but I do think that it is way too overlooked and discriminated against. I went over the reasons for that already, but I really think that taken on its own merits, these games are actually quite unique and with all their inidividual elements coming together, very satisfactory to play.

What it all comes down to, is basically a kind of reverse tower defense. Not only in theme (since you are the badboy slaying the heroes), but also in mechanics. Your placed "towers" exist only to satisfy the needs of the ones you need to kill. Still with me? Alright, that is because the core concept revolves around killing "satisfied" heroes. The more needs of a hero you satisfied, the more "soul energy" he will give you after you killed him, which in turn can be used to use some Dungeon spells or buy items for your dungeon to get even MORE soul energy from those heroes.

Thats more or less how the game works. Heroes come, you satisfy their needs, kill them and use the money and soul energy gained to improve your dungeon. I need to admit that there really could be a bit more variety to that. Like actual (and devious) traps to lure your heroes into etc. However, they still managed to make this a rather fun affair due to some aspects that work together rather splendidly.

First of all, there is an overall levellingsystem of your hero, giving you steady progress and new skills throughout the campaign, that make new campaign maps feel different just by the fact that you now have different skills to use than in the map before:
slOgL.jpg

Additionally, linked to that, there are several integral achievements on each campaign map that will give you skill points if you complete them. Those vary quite a bit between the levels, making the levels feel even more different. After all you will play differently if you need to save up to a certain amount of gold, if you are to never reach a certain amount of gold, or if you are supposed to abstain from using something you would normally use.

These may sound like small things, but actually go a great way of ensuring you never quite feel like doing the exact same thing over and over again. These games are by no means a revelation or the hardcore dungeon simulation people were hoping them to be, but they are definitely fun (after the initial tutorial area) and have a well thought out progression. Lots of diversity and content too, I'd suggest giving the first one a shot. You could do far worse with your 5 bucks. Also: watch the vid in the beginning of the gameplay section, it does a very good job of conveying the game mechanics.

mannerbot

Misadventures of PB Winderbotton for $2.50 is a pretty good deal for a nice puzzler-platformers. Can't post pics now because I'm on my phone.

Yep. If you liked Braid you're almost certainly going to like PB Winterbottom.

On a related note, anyone care to sell me on The Adventures of Shuggy? I want to get one last game this sale and it'll probably be either that or Analogue: A Hate Story. I've read through the OT already, just wondering if anyone reaaaaaaally likes it; if not, I'll probably just opt for Analogue.

Toma

Out of all of the old school style indie RPGs on Steam, which one is the best?

Geneforge series if you can live with the graphics, otherwise go for the updated Avernum.

Toma

Thoughts, GAF? Anything I should remove?

y1TYA.png

I mean they are super cheap, but Inside a star filled sky wears of its novelty VERY fast. Its still a cute idea and I love supporting Rohrer, but its definitely not a "fun" game to play. If you dont care about the time you spend on games that only cost you about 1 buck its still worth a look, though.

Cargo has another issue entirely. Its very rough around the edges, often reminding me more of a crude mod than a polished full fledged game, HOWEVER it still manages to weave several ideas into something strangely appealing and fun. If you need polish in your games, avoid it though.

Rest seems good.

PaulLFC

I mean they are super cheap, but Inside a star filled sky wears of its novelty VERY fast. Its still a cute idea and I love supporting Rohrer, but its definitely not a "fun" game to play. If you dont care about the time you spend on games that only cost you about 1 buck its still worth a look, though.

Cargo has another issue entirely. Its very rough around the edges, often reminding me more of a crude mod than a polished full fledged game, HOWEVER it still manages to weave several ideas into something strangely appealing and fun. If you need polish in your games, avoid it though.

Rest seems good.
Thanks for the tips! Think I'll get rid of Inside, I added it as it sounded really cool, but it sounds like the concept itself was much better than the actual game.

May still keep Cargo as it's as I've been interested to try it for a while, it's as cheap as I've seen it and even if it gets cheaper I'd be saving like 50p-£1.

Toma

Thanks for the tips! Think I'll get rid of Inside, I added it as it sounded really cool, but it sounds like the concept itself was much better than the actual game.

May still keep Cargo as it's as I've been interested to try it for a while, it's as cheap as I've seen it and even if it gets cheaper I'd be saving like 50p-£1.

Sure sure. It was fun to play anyway, just thought I'd mention the polish aspect, because some stiff animations and glitching issues can easily put off some people :)

Toma

Yeah, that series in particular seems to be rather rough visually. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, I REALLY hope the guy puts out a visually updated Geneforge game. Easily one of the best RPGs I played (Still tailing behind Torment and BG2, but eh. Hard to top)

Toma

Alriiiight, got a bit of time. Now crosschecking which games havent been mentioned in the OP + didnt get daily deals and still need some LOVE.

*stretches fingers*

mannerbot

Alriiiight, got a bit of time. Now crosschecking which games havent been mentioned in the OP + didnt get daily deals and still need some LOVE.

*stretches fingers*

Ugh, Toma recommendations... And here I thought I was done with this sale.

:D

Yeah, I REALLY hope the guy puts out a visually updated Geneforge game. Easily one of the best RPGs I played (Still tailing behind Torment and BG2, but eh. Hard to top)
I'm still on the fence about these, mostly because of how they look and the probable time sink they would be. I'd probably have gone for them if they had a deeper discount.

Toma

Splice
splice.png

50% off for 5 bucks

This game is an utterly amazing package. Considering it hasnt been on a deep single deal yet, I am sort of surprised 18/200 of my friends on my Steam list already own it. But hey, the ratio is still super bad, so here it goes:

This game is a puzzle game. You start out with the chromosomes somewhat randomly split in the level and need to drag them into position to make the chromosome showed with the outlines. When I first saw the concept, I was rather skeptical, since watching someone playing this looks incredibly boring, like "Ah, well, he just dragged it there and wooo, level solved". The game has actually rather simple rules but manages to change the ways in how chromosomes (are these chromosomes?) react by using different "extra" chromosomes as in the picture above. Those are the ones that make it really interesting. Like a chromosome that will split all the other chromosomes hanging onto it in two for example. It just feels like a very, very polished toy about cause and effect. The game also does a very good job of easing you into its mechanics with a "try and play around" approach that doesnt punish you for trying and manages to overcome the need for any big tutorial while still getting surprisingly deep (though of course not to SpaceChem levels)

While we are at polish, the visual ingame effects, style, animations and music are an ABSOLUTE treat. If you value polish in your games, this game wont disappoint. There are in about 75 levels, which is decent value for 5 bucks in my opinion. As soon as this game goes down to a 75% off, more people will buy it and the outcry about this amazing and amazingly well made game will be quite a bit louder.

Fan made trailer to watch.

Edit: Forgot to mention, there is a DEMO. Check it out.

Toma

Can anyone give me impressions of Audiosurf? I don't have time to play the demo right now.

Yes, no, what. If you love playing your own music, it doesnt get much better than Audiosurf and/or Beat Hazard atm. I consider Audiosurf the more involved game that needs more "skill" to be properly played and well worth the 2,50 bucks. If you watched a gameplay vid and this looked fun to you, using your own songs WILL make you like it.

Audiosurf still has some easy modes to just enjoy riding through your music, which are still fun and enjoyable visualizers.

ledman

Yes, no, what. If you love playing your own music, it doesnt get much better than Audiosurf and/or Beat Hazard atm. I consider Audiosurf the more involved game that needs more "skill" to be properly played and well worth the 2,50 bucks. If you watched a gameplay vid and this looked fun to you, using your own songs WILL make you like it.

Audiosurf still has some easy modes to just enjoy riding through your music, which are still fun and enjoyable visualizers.

Sounds good to me, using my own songs was the feature I was looking for, I gonna buy it now, thanks.

Shurayuki

Okay, pretty much the same deal like last time, only that for these I have only played the beginning of Blackwell Legacy, but here goes!

blackwell-bundle-titlu9jn4.jpg

More old school adventure goodness from the creator of Gemini Rue, this time bringing you a whole series spanning 4 games (so far?).
In a city so full of life, who has time for the dead?

When Rosa Blackwell’s only relative dies after twenty years in a coma, she thinks the worst is over. This all changes when Joey Mallone, a sardonic ghost from the 1930s, blows into her life and tells her that she is a medium. Whether they like it or not, it is up to them to cure the supernatural ills of New York in this critically-acclaimed series of point-and-click adventure games.

The Blackwell Legacy - 2.49$ on Steam
The duo's first case will involve a series of suicides at a local university. Something unnatural has forced these students to kill themselves, and nobody knows why. Rosangela, who is just coming to terms with her new status as a medium, finds herself cast as the unwilling detective in this gruesome mystery.
While Steam doesn't seem to have them demo, you can download it from the official site.

The Blackwell Bundle - 9.99$ on Steam
Includes The Blackwell Legacy, Blackwell Unbound, Blackwell Convergence and Blackwell Deception.

Some blurbs about the games:

Gamezebo - Legacy:
The Blackwell Legacy is also not a game for people who are uncomfortable around the topics of death or the supernatural. The story explores themes of ghosts, suicide, murder, alcoholism and mental illness, though not in ways that are overly graphic or scary. However, if you can accept the subject matter, you'll find a thought-provoking and detailed plot.

Gameboomers - Unbound
Blackwell Unbound provided me a pleasant afternoon’s gaming. The story, while fairly predictable, revealed itself in such a manner as to keep me playing. The dialogue has its funny moments. The graphics, while primitive, are adequate to the task of giving background to the story. The voice acting is good, and the background music enhances the atmosphere.
This could be a good introductory game to a novice adventurer, or just the game to play upon finding yourself with a few unscheduled hours.

RPS - Convergence:
While pricey, this is a shining example of what can be done with the AGS engine, and provides an interesting dramatic counterpoint to Zombie Cow’s comedy TGP. It’s a touching, smart game, with gentle, rewarding puzzles and yet another interesting angle on ghost stories.

RPS - Deception
Deception’s biggest successes though are in story and writing. On the script side specifically, Gilbert has two particular talents that have stood out since the start of the series – a very empathetic writing style, and a knack for minimalism. Even most of his secondary characters feel rounded and believable regardless of how few lines of dialogue they get, with the lost spirits especially getting their sad stories across without the need for long conversations full of infodumping. It’s a trick that works particularly well with this set due to an added psychological level to their deaths, and a cynical cruelty underpinning it.

conv_shot91zofl.jpg
bd_shot4ddro6.jpg

Top Bottom