• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last of Us 2 will NOT HAVE MULTIPLAYER.

Phase

No way they're not charging for them separately. It's yet another example of creativity for more cash.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And nowhere have any of these "MP is coming after all gamers" posts mentioned it's free.

So for any of you TLoU gamers, be prepared to pay for MP.

This might be the first game I can remember (at least for a big name franchise) that MP will be an added on paid mode.

Enjoyable multiplayer games tend to last a lot longer in our libraries/game rotation, so I can totally imagine those that like both weighing the time factor into their purchase and thinking "I can wait on it and purchase it at a discount". Those that enjoy multiplayer want to be in on it on day 1 for obvious reasons of not wanting to get left behind the meta and mechanics. Story? Eh, depends on the person but I can wait on it.

Edit: Case in point above my post... lol!

Not me, God of War, Spider-Man and other recent Sony exclusives have had huge launches without the multiplayer hook. The demand is there for buying games day 1 that don't have MP.

Yeah very disappointing. 2 discs for only single player feels like a waste.

See RDR 2 got 2 discs and it got awesome single AND multiplayer!

RDR 2's multiplayer launched later and only in a beta form. It did not launch with multiplayer.

And nowhere have any of these "MP is coming after all gamers" posts mentioned it's free.

So for any of you TLoU gamers, be prepared to pay for MP.

This might be the first game I can remember (at least for a big name franchise) that MP will be an added on paid mode.
Fortnite/Apex have changed the MP landscape. It's gonna be F2P and you're gonna like it.

Geki-D

Banned
ffxv_comrades_keyart-2060x1159.jpg

Looks like they will have MP, they're just not willing to commit to details or dates. Maybe have it ready for PS5 launch and relaunch of The Last of Us II on PS5.

I'm hoping for this to happen as it would be an easy wait for me for PS5 Nov arrival alongside TLOU2 relaunch.

Elenchus

Banned
No way they're not charging for them separately. It's yet another example of creativity for more cash.

I am not happy to say it but I think you may be right. People are getting caught up on the idea that this is a SP vs MP debate.

It isn’t. It’s a value debate.

When COD launches with fewer maps or modes people raise the same concerns. 🤷‍♂️

I am not happy to say it but I think you may be right. People are getting caught up on the idea that this is a SP vs MP debate.

It isn’t. It’s a value debate.

When COD launches with fewer maps or modes people raise the same concerns. 🤷‍♂️

BLOPS III didn't suffer in sales for lack of single player. Heck, the reason they called it IIII instead of IV is because each I was a gameplay mode.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Last edited:

quickwhips

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
MP was fantastic until ND butchered it with pay to win DLC and a disgusting amount of micro transactions. Had it been anyone not in the Sony stable of studios doing it, there would have been big uproar.

On the one hand I’m glad they can dedicate fully to the MP. On the other hand I’m not holding my breath for it to not be chock full of questionable monetization.

Business

MP was fantastic until ND butchered it with pay to win DLC and a disgusting amount of micro transactions. Had it been anyone not in the Sony stable of studios doing it, there would have been big uproar.

On the one hand I’m glad they can dedicate fully to the MP. On the other hand I’m not holding my breath for it to not be chock full of questionable monetization.

This is factually incorrect. The semi auto the rifle and the bow were always free and were also the best weapons people used in top tier matches. I think anyone who has played extensively can agree there were no overpowered / pay to win guns in the game.

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
This is factually incorrect. The semi auto the rifle and the bow were always free and were also the best weapons people used in top tier matches. I think anyone who has played extensively can agree there were no overpowered / pay to win guns in the game.

It’s been forever since I played but when I played the crossbow, tac, and semi auto were available in load outs you can use but not customize. Buying them allows you to actually use the weapons in load outs you want. They were all broken.

But worse are the DLC perks and loadout options. It changed the meta of the game from slow paced tactical game to everyone playing like Rambo and running around with shivs and smoke bombs.

Disgusting. In its prime it was as good as SOCOM II. But I’m not going to waste time arguing with someone who is going to defend LoU micro transactions, so enjoy the last word.

Last edited:

dan76

It’s been forever since I played but when I played the crossbow, tac, and semi auto were available in load outs you can use but not customize. Buying them allows you to actually use the weapons in load outs you want. They were all broken.

But worse are the DLC perks and loadout options. It changed the meta of the game from slow paced tactical game to everyone playing like Rambo and running around with shivs and smoke bombs.

Disgusting. In its prime it was as good as SOCOM II. But I’m not going to waste time arguing with someone who is going to defend LoU micro transactions, so enjoy the last word.
None of the weapons are overpowered. It's one of the best balanced multiplayer games there is. You've obviously not played it much or when you did play it you got in a few bad matches. Anyone running around like Rambo will get wrecked unless they know exactly what they're doing. This occasionally happens, a high skilled player will dominate but almost all the games are slow paced and highly tactical.

As for the dlc weapons, sure they have some advantages that other weapons don't, but they also have their drawbacks. I never use the shotgun because I'm useless with it. No weapon will make you win. It's a myth. I was chatting to a random whilst we were playing and he was running around like an idiot getting killed and blaming it on the"dlc, pay to win" guff. He just wasn't very good.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
That’s a common thing defenders say when valid critique is given.

“Oh you were playing it wrong”
“You probably just had some bad matches”
“I bet you barely played the game”

I didnt play the PS4 version a ton because it was overflowing with shitty micro transactions and pay to win weapons/perks. I played the hell out of it on PS3, back when it was balanced and good 👍 Not a fan of smoke bomb shiv fests so PS4 version got deleted.

Shin

Banned
It will have nudity though, making it the first? ND game to do so.

img_1726.jpg

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I am okay with this, but I though that the delay was due to the MP. Guess not...

xrnzaaas

It will have nudity though, making it the first? ND game to do so.

img_1726.jpg
I don't know if I want to see nudity considering how unattractive the characters are. ;)

I salute the studio for going with the vision they want to put forth and doubling down on that vision. This is the kind of boldness that should be celebrated instead of cursed.
Naughty Dog are one of the best when it comes to single player narratives and in this case I hope they knock it out the park.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned

A third person camera? I'm so confused. The template appears to be making a wide variety of games that make lots of money.

Anyone comparing God of War to Days Gone really isn't too credible, imo, if that is the intent? Next thing I am going to see is Bloodborne is virtually the same as Ratchet and Clank. I suggest you actually go play all those games and the rest of their games before making further comment. I mean Killzone Shadowfall is the same as The Last of Us because they both have guns.:messenger_tears_of_joy: If you are playing Horizon Zero Dawn and you think it plays like The Last of Us, I suggest you recheck which disc you have in your PS4... because you are definitely doing something wrong.

I would appreciate it if you come back and explain your post.

Last edited:
Getting the Platinum trophy required you to play the multiplayer in TLOU. I'm glad it did. It was a great surprise. Sad to hear there won't be any Part II multiplayer :(

DanielsM

Banned
So they make games with trees in them. WHOA! You sure figured them out.
Its fucking uncanny how much Tearaway plays like Days Gone, I mean its really just one zombie away from being the same game... they both have trees. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bend Studio used Tearaway as the foundation of Days Gone.

☑ Trees
☑ Third person camera

screen_00551__2_.png

Last edited:
Good. Never liked Uncharted MP. When a heavily narrative-driven cinematic game adds MP it stinks of marketing dictating to development "you need to have this box checked too!".
Dude that's totally wrong. Uncharted mp is nowhere near close to this mp. Tlou mp is one of the best ever made for me. Small teams cqb lots of teamwork and extreme violence.

yurinka

I think it's good to see they focus on where they shine: the single player campaign. Their MP game modes were good, but there are already a ton of other MP games. I prefer them to focus on make the best story possible, that is what makes them special.

And then, once they shipped it, if they want they can release a MP game mode as a post-launch DLC or as a separate game. Or just to get rid of MP and jump to their next game.

Top Bottom