• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last of Us 2 will NOT HAVE MULTIPLAYER.

brap

Banned
No surprise there. ND really went from being one of my favorite devs to one of my most hated.
Guys the SP is totally gonna be different than the first one!!! No MP means we're getting an 80 hour long game filled with pointless busywork!! Fuck yes!!

Elenchus

Banned
This gaming community is outrageous.

Stadia fans want me to pay $600 over 5 years for a digital console that only allows me streaming access to my games when I could buy a $500 physical console that allows both local and streaming access.

Now Sony fans want me to pay $60 for SP when I previously paid $60 for both SP and MP. This accepting less for the same price or an even higher price...when did we all sign off on this again??

Think I missed the memo.

CyberPanda

Banned
No surprise there. ND really went from being one of my favorite devs to one of my most hated.
Guys the SP is totally gonna be different than the first one!!! No MP means we're getting an 80 hour long game filled with pointless busywork!! Fuck yes!!
Lmao. It’s 20 hours!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Stadia fans want me to pay $600 over 5 years for a digital console that only allows me streaming access to my games when I could buy a $500 physical console that allows both local and streaming access.

Now Sony fans want me to pay $60 for SP when I previously paid $60 for both SP and MP. This accepting less for the same price or an even higher price...when did we all sign off on this again??

Think I missed the memo.

You could always buy the game when it goes on sale. You won't miss out on a multiplayer curve either.

FranXico

Think I missed the memo.
As a "Sony fan", I don't want you to spend a dime on this game. I want you to just go play Gears, stop with that faux outrage, and let me enjoy my games. You do you, I do me. No more judging.
There's your memo.

brap

Banned
Lmao. It’s 20 hours!
And it's probably fucking tedious like UC4 was.

Think I missed the memo.
Because games MUST have state of the art graphics and be made by 500 people.

As a "Sony fan", I don't want you to spend a dime on this game. I want you to just go play Gears, stop with that faux outrage, and let me enjoy my games. You do you, I do me. No more judging.
There's your memo.
As a sony fanboy*

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Think I missed the memo.

Wut. There have been $60 singleplayer games for the last 13 years. The most profitable game of all time, GTAV, launched without multiplayer.

You didn't miss the memo. You were in cryogenic sleep.

Fbh

Sucks, I really liked the MP of the first one, ended up being one of my most played online games on Ps3.
I had already decided not to renew my Ps+ when it runs out in November because I don't play multiplayer that much anymore (and the games I do play online are also on PC where I can do so for free). A solid followup to the TLOU multiplayer might have convinced me to re-subscribe, but I guess that won't be necessary.

Still looking forward to the SP

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Wut. There have been $60 singleplayer games for the last 13 years. The most profitable game of all time, GTAV, launched without multiplayer.

You didn't miss the memo. You were in cryogenic sleep.
People get tons of hours out of a game like GTA. Terrible example to use imo.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Seems like an odd move considering the first games multiplayer was well liked. Or is it one of those things where very few people played it, it just had a vocal community?

I think either way, this is probably a 3-6 month free DLC in order to just get the game out and prevent further delays

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Developers were taking resources away from single-player games to cram some stupid online crsp in games that didn't need them in an attempt to lessen used games sales.

I'm glad to see great single-player experiences such as God of War, Spider-Man and Horizon: Zero Dawn have proven this is unnecessary.

I'll be there with millions others on day one. If anything, this news makes me more excited.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Wow. A big loss for me, TLOU was one of my favourite multiplayer EVER, it was unique.

I guess I can wait for price drop on the game.

Developers were taking resources away from single-player games to cram some stupid online crsp in games that didn't need them in an attempt to lessen used games sales.

I'm glad to see great single-player experiences such as God of War, Spider-Man and Horizon: Zero Dawn have proven this is unnecessary.

I'll be there with millions others on day one. If anything, this news makes me more excited.
That is a problem because a lot of the time they MP modes would suck. Not the case with TLOU.

Last edited:

PSYGN

Fans of Naughty Dog's MP are hurt by this but it isn't a game changing move.

There are many people that enjoyed the multiplayer as much if not more than the campaign, so it is a game changing move as it was part of the overall experience. Okay, so maybe game changing might be too strong of a word but there was a decent community built around the multiplayer for that game (I didn't care for the game myself).

Last edited:
ScornfulDelectableBlackpanther-size_restricted.gif

Nah. Uncharted and TLoU don't require MP. They're worth for their SP experience which is quite cool (and can sometimes be unique).

I support their decision not to have MP.
Why support having half of the content of a studio's past 3 games?

I know it's rumors, but if it's really just a mere 17 hours... how is this game worth $60 without an online component? No Co-Op? What were they thinking?

I can't believe that Microsoft couldn't even achieve 3 player splitscreen for TLoU2 after they did it for Gears 5 on X1.

Is TLoU2 even going to be 60 fps splitscreen on Pro?

MS are letting themselves down.

D

Deleted member 757921

Unconfirmed Member
They’ll probably just add it post launch before or near any single player expansion.

I also wouldn’t be amazed or surprised if ND is holding off on the multiplayer for when the PS5 to launches. It could be any number of things really but I do think there will be a multiplayer at some point for this game.

Tetraeon

Damn. I was really hyped for the return of factions. Still this should mean the SP campaign is way better. Double edged sword and all.

Wwg1wga

"I think for us Ellie has always been a fully realised lesbian character! I guess now we’re just confirming it to people outside. Ellie is a teenager and we really wanted to explore this relationship with Dina. That just naturally comes out for us. It’s never for the controversy to to titivate, it’s just who Ellie is.”
Nonetheless having a homosexual lead character in one of the biggest AAA video games of the year feels like an enormous step forward for diversity and representation in the medium?
"I’ve had people come up to me and tell me what a big deal it is for them, or how Ellie is a character who helped them come out to their parents or loved one,” says Druckmann, "and that’s always inspiring and humbling and encourages us to keep pushing boundaries in that way. And when I say pushing boundaries I mean just exploring different kinds of characters.

Strider7

Well poop. I mean, I'm mainly coming for the story. But I also really enjoyed MP in the first, and was hoping that this time around we would have a PVP vs infected mode.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
"I think for us Ellie has always been a fully realised lesbian character! I guess now we’re just confirming it to people outside. Ellie is a teenager and we really wanted to explore this relationship with Dina. That just naturally comes out for us. It’s never for the controversy to to titivate, it’s just who Ellie is.”
Nonetheless having a homosexual lead character in one of the biggest AAA video games of the year feels like an enormous step forward for diversity and representation in the medium?
"I’ve had people come up to me and tell me what a big deal it is for them, or how Ellie is a character who helped them come out to their parents or loved one,” says Druckmann, "and that’s always inspiring and humbling and encourages us to keep pushing boundaries in that way. And when I say pushing boundaries I mean just exploring different kinds of characters.

Your point? Whats wrong with any of that? (aside from that its barely on topic)

We got gay marriage and somehow western civilization didn't crumble. A lesbian in a AAA game isn't gonna crash the industry either.

If the vice-president at Naughty Dog says that there's no multiplayer in The Last of Us - Part II, then there's no multiplayer. It's that simple. Why else risk a blowback? If the multiplayer component internally is planned to release at a later date, don't you think they would've come out and said that instead of upsetting their fanbase?

Personally I think the single player- and multiplayer components became equally ambitious and they had to scale back. Now that doesn't necessarily mean the multiplayer component got canceled - I mean it could, but I don't think so - what I choose to believe, is that Naughty Dog has decided to make it its own thing, 'a standalone multiplayer game set in the world of The Last of Us', which will release 1-1½ years after The Last of Us - Part II.

2013: The Last of Us
2014: The Last of Us: Left Behind (standalone DLC)

2016: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
2017: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (standalone DLC)
  • "Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is a new adventure in the series starring Chloe Frazer. The game will be offered as both a stand-alone title and as part of the Uncharted 4 season pass---though you only have until December 13th to purchase the season pass or the Digital Deluxe version of the game which comes with the season pass."
    - Forbes
2020: The Last of Us - Part II
2021: Untitled The Last of Us multiplayer game

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
There's your memo.

How am I stopping you from enjoying it exactly?

I'm glad they're focusing on what counts. The Sony first party games of the last few years have mostly been sans multiplayer and as a result sans loot boxes/MTX, they want to make premium campaign experiences and I'm glad that's their goal.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Ppl talk straight shit sometimes. Your talking about top tier devs that have dozens of ppl under them tht do specific things. Having a mp would have not taken resources away except maybe money that they have in abundance, you have specific ppl tasked with things like the mp aspect. Again tlou had a great campaign, as well as a great mp thts what made it special and reviewers definitely mentioned the sublime mp in their reviews. An mp better than most the trash, generic mp's u see lately from established ips that have done nothing with their mp's but made them a little shinier.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Im gonna wait to play the game to really form a proper opinion. Its always worse get less content in a game. One thing for sure, people need to stop that mantra of " good, no multiplayer means a better single player" cause that can't be proved.

"Yeah i assume that they put all the resourses on the campaing equals a better game", guess what, we know shit on what developers gonna use that time. Maybe they debug, maybe they add a shitty section of the game that no one cares only for extend the length. Dont know.

I guess they want to pack a larger more solid single player game without multiplayer. They better no had the nerve of put a fucking 10gb day one patch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom