• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last of Us 2 will NOT HAVE MULTIPLAYER.

The best and most innovative MP last gen and nothing in the sequel?

WTF?

They want to kill the franchise?

Yeah, everyone buys this for the MP /S. Are you for real??? They moved all their resources so they can make the best SP possible. Who gives a shit about MP in this game that its more important than SP.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Why is it a big deal (serious question)?
Was the multiplayer (which is actually PvP?) of the 1st that good that people wanted something similar in the 2nd one (yes never touched it)?

I personnally am waiting for it as a single player freaking awesome experience, but that's about it (which is already a lot).
It was the best and most innovative MP releases last gen... so it was that great.

Plus it was on MP that the superb gameplay mechanics shines... that is why TLOU is considered one of the best TPS gameplay in the market.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nah its fine for games not to have MP.
Who the hell played deathmatch in doom 2016 ? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I have bought that game on ps4 xbox one x pc and switch
And i think i played about 6 matches in total.

Thabass

A little bummed, but if it makes the story even better, then I'm not complaining.

Last edited:
Pathetic. I was going to pre-order this game with the sole purpose that it'd be a full game with SP and MP but now that's out of the question entirely.

Not sure how ND could screw up this bad but meh. I hope everyone else enjoys it though.

It's not good. A SP game does not have enough content to warrant $60. In MP you can customize quite a few things, level up, etc. This is inexcusable.

Last edited:
Nah its fine for games not to have MP.
Who the hell played deathmatch in doom 2016 ? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I have bought that game on ps4 xbox one x pc and switch
And i think i played about 6 matches in total.
No one is saying we should revert to last gen where every game had half-baked multiplayer components.

What we're saying is that the TLOU MP was exceptional, and completely throwing it in the trash rather than building upon it is a major disappointment.

ethomaz

Banned
No. That would be Rocket League's predecessor.

Last edited:

Furozen

140.gif

Tiamat2san

I don’t Care for mp, I play for the story.
More money for the story if there’s only one mode.

but it’s a shame for those who care.

Last edited:

dan76

Gutted. I still play the multiplayer regularly. It's one of the few online games I've got into, I love it because it's slower paced than most online shooters. I hope they add one at some point. I'll still get the game but not day one now. I'll wait for the sale.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm no longer a big multiplayer guy, but this is one game where I was really excited for it. The first one's multiplayer was so good and was such a great execution of a new formula. I'm really damn shocked they aren't doing it again.

Eyeron

Pretty disappointed. Factions was great until they added a bunch of pay-to-win shit. The tension was through the roof when your team was wiped out and you had multiple human enemies hunting you down. Best untraditional multiplayer since Spies Vs Mercs. Might wait for a sale or PS5 remaster.

Last edited:
:lollipop_fire: No problemo, I have no issues with MP games being MP only and SP games being SP focused. :lollipop_fire:

Obviously it's a disappointment when it's something that would otherwise interest you.

That's too bad, I really enjoyed the original's multiplayer... it created some really tense moments unlike any other that I've experienced in any other multiplayer.

NickFire

They should have announced this a long time ago. Releasing a single player only is not bad. But with the first one having MP, they knew most people would reasonably assume this was SP and MP for a long time. Definitely should have announced this well before peak hype started, The fall hurts a lot more the higher up you go.

UH

WHAT THE FUCK LOL

God bless them for this decision
Multiplayer very often make the single player quality drop, even if that happen to be 0.1% less, so glad to see this

Look at Gta V lol, obviously the most extreme example, but still

The first tlou I suppose didn't lose anything in favour of multiplayer, but knowing the opus magna tlou2 will be, good to know all the force they have in ND is on the single player

This game will set new standards

I liked the first game mp a lot, though I played it a little, I admit it was pretty good
Maybe They'll develop separately post launch?

Last edited:

Shifty

Well on the one hand, that's a wonderful sign that we're finally out of the age of tacked-on multiplayer.

On the other, damn y'all seem to really like that TLoU multiplayer.

NickFire

Yeah, because this is clearly a budget title, right?
I don't consider it a budget title, but hearing that its SP only makes me very confident that it's not worth paying $60 for at launch. This is not a dig at the game in any respect. It just seems to me that SP only games have really fast sales or price drops. So when I saw the news about no MP, one of my first thoughts was might as well wait a couple extra weeks.

ZiriusOne

Probably the worst gaming news of 2019 for me. Did the developers even understand how special of a MP part they made for the first game? It's one of the most unique MP experiences that you can have and there is a reason it's still being played. There are many MP games out there but almost none as intense and satisfying to play as this.
9P1LNCn.jpg

Made the game from a day1 purchase to a "get it on sale" purchase, sadly.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
I honestly never once touched the multiplayer for TLOU, and from the gameplay videos i've seen of it, don't really care for it. But this sucks to any fan of the franchise who was looking forward to it. Maybe they can release it separately a month or two down the road like rockstar does.

93xfan

Banned
When is Sony going to get serious about MP?

shutting down servers and ignoring your Socom fan base for decades is not a good look. Now they’re removing MP from sequels?

Last edited:
This is the only explanation that makes sense. No way they would scrap all the multiplayer work they already did.

Its hopefully a GTAV/RDR2 situation.
Wouldn't be bad, they maybe want the players to get used to the new mechanics, get good in sp, then go into mp

But I've read some journalists saying there isn't multi because of the new mechanics, is this true in your opinion?

emmerrei

Didn't they answered to a rumor some time ago confirming that the multiplayer mode was present and not cancelled? Now? Cancelled again?
To those who never played the one on the first game, you missed one of the best multiplayer games of that era. Yeah, the game was goty and even the multiplayer.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Pathetic. I was going to pre-order this game with the sole purpose that it'd be a full game with SP and MP but now that's out of the question entirely.

Not sure how ND could screw up this bad but meh. I hope everyone else enjoys it though.

It's not good. A SP game does not have enough content to warrant $60. In MP you can customize quite a few things, level up, etc. This is inexcusable.
Nah. Uncharted and TLoU don't require MP. They're worth for their SP experience which is quite cool (and can sometimes be unique).

I support their decision not to have MP.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Wouldn't be bad, they maybe want the players to get used to the new mechanics, get good in sp, then go into mp

But I've read some journalists saying there isn't multi because of the new mechanics, is this true in your opinion?

I'd say that sort of thing is rationale doesn't fly since mechanics for multiplayer get adjusted anyway.

It seems they just wanted to shift resources (hopefully temporarily) to make the SP be the best most polished experience it can be.

Quezacolt

I personally don't mind MP not being included, since i wouldnt play it anyway, i just find it funny how people say it's not worth 60 dollars anymore just because it's lacking that aspect. I guess most of you never buy SP only games then.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Maybe they're holding MP back to launch with the PS5 version.

I really don't think we will be seeing devs resell the same game on PS5 like we did on PS4. Not out of the goodness of their hearts but because it will be hard to justify putting out a whole new version to buy and not just issue a remaster patch.

We kind of see this dynamic already with Steam versions of Dark Souls and Bioshock, for example, where owners of the original either got the remaster for free or they could buy the remaster at a discount.

Can't wait for the articles and threads when a big game charges for a remaster patch on console. ENHANCE YOUR PS4 COPY TODAY FOR ONLY 10 DOLLARS.

NickFire

I really don't think we will be seeing devs resell the same game on PS5 like we did on PS4. Not out of the goodness of their hearts but because it will be hard to justify putting out a whole new version to buy and not just issue a remaster patch.

We kind of see this dynamic already with Steam versions of Dark Souls and Bioshock, for example, where owners of the original either got the remaster for free or they could buy the remaster at a discount.

Can't wait for the articles and threads when a big game charges for a remaster patch on console. ENHANCE YOUR PS4 COPY TODAY FOR ONLY 10 DOLLARS.
I hope you're right about getting it for free. But I suspect they will treat the PS4 version (of any game they sell as a PS5 game) as a PS4 game, with perhaps boost mode making them smoother but no actual software side updates given to them if played as a backwards compatibility game. Basically, I don't think they will let bc cut into additional possible sales more than necessary from their standpoint, to encourage remasters or upgrade charges.

An upgrade charge is very likely. But I fully believe remasters will still exist until such time as the market rejects them.

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
Played a lot of it on the PS3, but after 6 months of playing it regularly, I can that I didn't really care about the multiplayer that much. The whole thing about having a survivor camp or being with the fireflies was cool but nothing to write home about.

Some challenges were almost impossible to complete and you'd lose a lot of your survivors for diseases, starvation or invasions. The endgame was some masks and other cosmetic items. Some perks were really broken and the DLC weapons were obviously better than the vanilla ones. The only thing that I really liked was that you would upgrade your gear during matches.

Last edited:

RSB

Banned
The Last of Us MP was fantastic. They fucked it up later with paid DLC weapons, but before that I loved it. Interrogation is probably the most fun I've had this gen with a competitive MP mode.

Last edited:

OldManNoob

Neo Member
This is disappointing news. Looks like I'll be buying it physical and trade it in after I finish the game. I still jump into the Multiplayer -- The match making is still surprising fast and still has a active community.

Fox Mulder

That blows.

I didn’t like having to grind 40 hours just in factions mode to get the platinum trophy because everyone was so good by the time I played it. It had pay to win dlc stuff too.

I would have been interested playing closer to release though.

Top Bottom