• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late Night Wars - Conan's last Tonight Show was TONIGHT a long time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Himuro said:
Why is Conan going to TBS rather than Fox?

This is STUPID. :lol

Not really. He'll be able to do the show he wants with no network nonsense possibly getting in the way, and far lower expectations performance-wise. He'll likely do far better than Lopez Tonight (the show he's bumping to midnight), gets the half-hour headstart on the other late night shows, and down the line, could possibly move back to network if that's what he wants.

Ceres

Banned
I assume that means Lopez is out? Because I can't imagine them needing two talkshows on TBS.

Edit: Nevermind, read that article. I'm kind of surprised they'd keep two talkshows.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
What the double fuck? If he's going to cable, why 11? Now not only does he have a smaller audience, but he's competing directly with both the Daily Show and Colbert. Conan is setting himself up for failure this time, it's not NBC's fault this go round. (edit: And his show is only four nights a week, so he doesn't even get an unopposed night on Friday without dealing with TDS and Colbert...yeah, this sounds like a wonderful plan...)

Plus, he's going to have to say "Stay tuned for George Lopez"? That's more soul-crushing than moving back to midnight ever could have been.

Tim-E

mj1108 said:
Just 4 days a week and not 5?

It's not uncommon for nightly talk shows to do this. I'm pretty sure Late Night did this when Conan was on there, and shows like The Colbert Report and Daily Show do it.

numble

Tim-E said:
It's not uncommon for nightly talk shows to do this. I'm pretty sure Late Night did this when Conan was on there, and shows like The Colbert Report and Daily Show do it.
Yeah, the general idea behind late night shows are that they are low budget and relatively lower ratings (compared to prime time). And so Fridays have even lower ratings because people aren't watching TV, so why spend the money on that?

ATF487

:(

No sir, I don't like it. Best case scenario, he does well here with some freedom and then FOX comes to their senses in a few years.

numble

The only scenario I can see is that TBS offered him the most money. TBS is practically the worst cable network on TV, even VH1, truTV or the History Channel runs more original programming.

NomarTyme

I pretty sure the show will be on hulu, guys w/o cable...

The good thing about this is for us West Coast guys! I can watch this in HD and 8:00 pm instead of 11:00 pm

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Archaix said:
What the double fuck? If he's going to cable, why 11? Now not only does he have a smaller audience, but he's competing directly with both the Daily Show and Colbert. Conan is setting himself up for failure this time, it's not NBC's fault this go round. (edit: And his show is only four nights a week, so he doesn't even get an unopposed night on Friday without dealing with TDS and Colbert...yeah, this sounds like a wonderful plan...)

Plus, he's going to have to say "Stay tuned for George Lopez"? That's more soul-crushing than moving back to midnight ever could have been.

F the TDS and Colbert!

rezuth

numble said:
The only scenario I can see is that TBS offered him the most money. TBS is practically the worst cable network on TV, even VH1, truTV or the History Channel runs more original programming.
Maybe they want to change that?

Slacker

danootz said:
I wonder if politics had anything to do with it.
It didn't. If Rupert was convinced that a liberal news network would make him one more dollar than what Fox News is generating now, he'd fire everyone involved with the network and switch it over within 24 hours.

I'm guessing Fox dropped the ball big time on this, and Conan is going to TBS for the time being, I see him taking over Late Show when Leterman retires in a few years

Ceres

Banned
numble said:

You may not like its original programming but it averages the second highest 18-49 market of all the cable channels.

btrick

GodfatherX said:
I'm guessing Fox dropped the ball big time on this, and Conan is going to TBS for the time being, I see him taking over Late Show when Leterman retires in a few years

i hope this happens and that TBS is only temporary

NomarTyme

GodfatherX said:
Sounds good. He got more money and he is going to CBS in the future.

Teddman

Fox probably didn't have the sway over their affiliates that they were publicly claiming to have... Most of them would've passed on a Conan show because they actually make more off of Seinfeld re-runs at 11PM. They get to keep a greater amount of advertising during syndicated programming and Fox can't require them to carry anything outside of prime time.

Can't believe how far Conan fell... From the Tonight Show to George Lopez's lead-in on TBS in nine months.

numble said:

Yes... A whole lot of money and a deal he couldn't refuse or so I suppose.

http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/shocker-conan-headed-back-tv-tbs-not-fox-16200

thewrap.com said:
The comedy-focused TBS, by contrast, made it clear that it really, really wanted O'Brien -- and was willing to step up with a monster deal to land him. His new pact with the network will allow O'Brien to own his own show, a la David Letterman, while also giving him an eight-figure compensation package described as "bigger than any other deal he's ever had," one person familiar with the agreement said.

Guevara

Teddman said:
Fox probably didn't have the sway over their affiliates that they were publicly claiming to have... Most of them would've passed on a Conan show because they actually make more off of Seinfeld re-runs at 11PM. They get to keep a greater amount of advertising during syndicated programming and Fox can't require them to carry anything outside of prime time.

Can't believe how far Conan fell... From the Tonight Show to George Lopez's lead-in on TBS in nine months.

If Conan is on at 11PM and Lopez is on at 12 Conan's not really a lead-in. 11PM is the better time slot.

NomarTyme said:
Sounds good. He got more money and he is going to CBS in the future.
Honestly this might work out better then a Fox deal, the Fox deal would have been long term with uncertain affiliates on a network that has time and again failed at late night

I see no other replacement for Dave, I like Ferguson but he is where he needs to be. Plus shortly after Conan would hypothetically take over Late Night NBC will also be looking to replace a permanately retired Jay Leno and if Fallon is there answer Conan will have no problem winning that ratings war

Teddman

Guevara said:
If Conan is on at 11PM and Lopez is on at 12 Conan's not really a lead-in. 11PM is the better time slot.
“I can’t think of anything better than doing my show with Conan as my lead-in,” Lopez said. “It’s the beginning of a new era in late-night comedy.”
Turner Entertainment Networks president Steve Koonin called O'Brien "the comedic voice for a generation."
http://weblogs.variety.com/on_the_air/2010/04/breaking-conan-obrien-goes-to-tbs.html

M.Bluth

GodfatherX said:
That's not gonna happen. Ferguson might pretend he doesn't want the job on his show, but he did say he wanted it in his book.

And I doubt CBS would want to spend a lot of money on Conan later on when they can get Craig to do it for much less.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
GodfatherX said:
2e3o0v4.jpg

I don't think so!

agrajag

Banned
Teddman said:

The lead-in show in late night talk shows is always bigger than the following show. Letterman leads in to Ferguson, Leno leads in to Fallon. Stewart leads in to Colbert, but I guess those two are about equal now.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
mj1108 said:
Nope. Craig doesn't want to....especially because if he did, he wouldn't be able to get away with 90% of what he does.

He doesn't have a budget! He doesn't even have a band!

mj1108 said:
Nope. Craig doesn't want to....especially because if he did, he wouldn't be able to get away with 90% of what he does.

Also, the biggest impediment for Craig to take over Letterman's timeslot unfortunately is his accent, sad, but true.

I'm really surprised by some of you - so what if you don't like what TBS airs the other 23 hours of the day? You think Conan lost or something? Sounds like he got a great deal for himself, in a much better situation than what he was looking at on Fox, with the deck possibly stacked against him.

Kronotech

I could see this being really good for Conan. I bet he won't get near the ratings he would if he were on Fox but TBS could be good. While I do wish he was on a bigger network (Fox), I'll take Conan any way I can get him.

Schlep

Keep in mind that a lot of times, cable networks are approaching and sometimes even surpassing the broadcast networks in viewership. That's a lot of the reasoning behind the broadcast networks trying to blackmail the cable companies into having to pay retransmission fees.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Conan pulled some really competitive numbers for the time slot.

M.Bluth said:
That's not gonna happen. Ferguson might pretend he doesn't want the job on his show, but he did say he wanted it in his book.

And I doubt CBS would want to spend a lot of money on Conan later on when they can get Craig to do it for much less.

Good. He deserves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom