• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late Night Wars - Conan's last Tonight Show was TONIGHT a long time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddman

Ferguson's show is the top-rated in its time slot and was regularly beating O'Brien before he took the Tonight Show gig.

So yeah.

i don't see craig getting lettermans job. it could happen but not very likely. letterman wants jon stewart to take his place if that cant happen who knows. it will most likely be in 2012 when letterman steps down. if conan is doing great he might want to take the job but maybe by then he will figure whats the point of being on broadcast as things change.

Sanjuro

You hear about this...

30hphc9.jpg

Oreoleo

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Some woman sprayed some shit in his hair. Apparently it just washes out...but I was hoping he really jumped the shark.

You'd think after spraying that little spot in the very front for the past 15 years she'd have the job down pat!

Ulairi

Banned
goldenticket said:
i don't see craig getting lettermans job. it could happen but not very likely. letterman wants jon stewart to take his place if that cant happen who knows. it will most likely be in 2012 when letterman steps down. if conan is doing great he might want to take the job but maybe by then he will figure whats the point of being on broadcast as things change.

What? You have a link?

maharg

idspispopd
Given that historically these shows seem to stay within the network, it seems unlikely. And I actually think TLS would be a step down for Stewart, who is essentially creating his OWN dynasty on CC.

snesfreak

Banned
Courtney Love on Letterman tomorrow? Really Dave?...And when the hell did Hole get back together?
I'll watch just to see the train wreck. :lol

been super busy with work lately. regarding stewart to take over for dave i dont think anything is set in stone or whatever but if its a job he wants he would be able to have it. you can be sure it has been discussed internally at cbs. before letterman re upped his contract it was going to end in 2010 and stewart wouldnt sign an extension on his comedy central contract beyond 2010 giving him the option to bounce to cbs rather easily. but letterman extended his and since then stewart is signed on until 2013. back in 2008 ferguson said he would back stewart taking over for dave.

craig could get it but its a long shot. in these two years or so until letterman steps down craig will have to keep building momentum if he wants the job. i think he will have to force the hand of cbs. craig has said he will follow dave as long as dave is doing his thing but when dave leaves he might not be down with following someone else and could leave himself. so if in a few years craig continues to improve maybe they will give him the job rather then risk losing both dave and him.

as times change stewart doesnt need as much to go to cbs. at one time cbs was in way more homes then a channel like comedy central and while that still holds true its not a crazy huge margin. i think stewart is making 14 million a year now so its not like he isnt getting paid where he is. it could depend on if stewart wants to do a traditional late night show. like conan really wanted the tonight show but stewart might be happy where he is. even if he doesnt want to move it would be smart of stewart to at least entertain an offer to get a better contract from comedy central

but from what everyone says by the time letterman steps down things will be set in place. cbs doesnt want to mess things up like nbc did.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The limitations imposed by NBC will mean that “60 Minutes” will take some unusual steps to promote this week’s show. Because Mr. OBrien cannot appear on television before Saturday, “60 Minutes” will have to be creative with its on-air promotions this week, Mr. Kroft said. “I think we’ll just show me talking to him and have to blank his face out,” Mr. Kroft said.

Bwahaha :lol

That sounds straight out of a Conan skit.

goldenticket said:
been super busy with work lately. regarding stewart to take over for dave i dont think anything is set in stone or whatever but if its a job he wants he would be able to have it. you can be sure it has been discussed internally at cbs. before letterman re upped his contract it was going to end in 2010 and stewart wouldnt sign an extension on his comedy central contract beyond 2010 giving him the option to bounce to cbs rather easily. but letterman extended his and since then stewart is signed on until 2013. back in 2008 ferguson said he would back stewart taking over for dave.

craig could get it but its a long shot. in these two years or so until letterman steps down craig will have to keep building momentum if he wants the job. i think he will have to force the hand of cbs. craig has said he will follow dave as long as dave is doing his thing but when dave leaves he might not be down with following someone else and could leave himself. so if in a few years craig continues to improve maybe they will give him the job rather then risk losing both dave and him.

as times change stewart doesnt need as much to go to cbs. at one time cbs was in way more homes then a channel like comedy central and while that still holds true its not a crazy huge margin. i think stewart is making 14 million a year now so its not like he isnt getting paid where he is. it could depend on if stewart wants to do a traditional late night show. like conan really wanted the tonight show but stewart might be happy where he is. even if he doesnt want to move it would be smart of stewart to at least entertain an offer to get a better contract from comedy central

but from what everyone says by the time letterman steps down things will be set in place. cbs doesnt want to mess things up like nbc did.

so Craig might get it or might not get it, or Jon Stewar might get it if he wants it or maybe he doesn't want it?

Ninja Scooter said:
so Craig might get it or might not get it, or Jon Stewar might get it if he wants it or maybe he doesn't want it?

i would say stewart could have it if he wants it and its a long shot for craig. just my take on it

mj1108

Ninja Scooter said:

No no no no no no no.....no way Craig would take it. No way, no how. Craig loves that CBS lets him do what he wants at 12:30....a change to 11:30 would absolutely kill all of that.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Anyone watch that A&E special tonight called "The Late Night Wars" or something like that? They just made it and it's supposed to cover everything right up until Conan signed with TBS. But I heard it's more historical than nitty-gritty. Very broad based, too... even goes into Joan Rivers beefin' with Johnny Carson.

However, some guy was on the radio today saying he's got an article coming out in Playboy next month that does get into some behind-the-scenes stuff. Guess it was pretty awesome.

Tim-E

whytemyke said:
Anyone watch that A&E special tonight called "The Late Night Wars" or something like that? They just made it and it's supposed to cover everything right up until Conan signed with TBS. But I heard it's more historical than nitty-gritty. Very broad based, too... even goes into Joan Rivers beefin' with Johnny Carson.

However, some guy was on the radio today saying he's got an article coming out in Playboy next month that does get into some behind-the-scenes stuff. Guess it was pretty awesome.

I caught the last hour, and yes, it was pretty broad and doesn't really focus on any one moment in late night history (I didn't catch the Letterman/Leno stuff at all), but they did talk about Bill Maher, Arsino Hall, Kimmel, Kilborn/Ferguson, Fallon, and ended it with a broad summary of the Conan/Leno stuff.

mj1108 said:
No no no no no no no.....no way Craig would take it. No way, no how. Craig loves that CBS lets him do what he wants at 12:30....a change to 11:30 would absolutely kill all of that.

are you kidding? Craig would suck Dave Letterman's dick if it promised him the 11:30 timeslot once Dave stepped down.

Trurl

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
are you kidding? Craig would suck Dave Letterman's dick if it promised him the 11:30 timeslot once Dave stepped down.
Whatever, Craig is all about keeping it real at 12:30 and sticking it to the man for not giving his show the same production value as the other talk shows.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Trurl said:
Whatever, Craig is all about keeping it real at 12:30 and sticking it to the man for not giving his show the same production value as the other talk shows.
Craig is awesome. I love just putting him on at night when I'm zoning out before bed. I think since Conan's gone off the air I've been watching more of him than the rest combined.

By the way, did you guys see the clips of Dr Phil on Letterman last night? He rehashed the Leno thing and Letterman just teed off on Leno again. It was awesome :lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np7R_9JdE50

Trurl

Banned
whytemyke said:
Craig is awesome. I love just putting him on at night when I'm zoning out before bed. I think since Conan's gone off the air I've been watching more of him than the rest combined.
Oh, I like Craig too. It's just that part of his schtick is complaining about the deficiencies of his show. I doubt that he expects to get the Late Show, but I don't think his show is cheaply produced and on at 12:30 because that's just how he likes it.

Btw, that Letterman clip is pretty great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom