• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the 9.9: Jade Empire

Speevy

Banned
I'm interesting in reading how you like this when you're done. For me, it's a very well-presented game that's the very definition of "going through the motions". It's also very shallow.

Best part of the game: John Cleese

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Speevy said:
the very definition of "going through the motions".

Yeah, that is the best way to describe it. Does everything well or acceptable, but nothing great.

Flynn

I was impressed that it was a game that for all intents and purposes improved on Knights of the Old Republic, but in doing so, made the whole affair as turgid and joyless and possible. My greatest fear for Mass Effect is that they repeat this.

Speevy

Banned
Himuro said:
The battle system truly is tedious and boring ass shit.

Here's the bad news. It doesn't get better. Certain moves kill pretty much anything, and to give it "depth" you have to put together needless combos, which don't make the game any easier than it already is.

Speevy

Banned
Flynn said:
I was impressed that it was a game that for all intents and purposes improved on Knights of the Old Republic, but in doing so, made the whole affair as turgid and joyless and possible. My greatest fear for Mass Effect is that they repeat this.

Jade Empire may not crash on you, but KOTOR stomps it into the ground. Heck, I'd venture to say that there's probably more fun found in KOTOR 2 (Obsidian's game).

Flynn

Speevy said:
Jade Empire may not crash on you, but KOTOR stomps it into the ground. Heck, I'd venture to say that there's probably more fun found in KOTOR 2 (Obsidian's game).

Agreed. They expanded gameplay and near-bugless code, but the game was literally bereft of fun. I think part of the problem is that both we the gamer and they the designer had no trouble finding fun in the world of Star Wars, but as soon as they were given the responsablity of creating their own universe, they balked and made a dull, listless one rather than one bristling with character.

I hope its a lesson Bioware learned well.

Stench

Banned
lol9mf.jpg

AHAAUAHUAYHAHAUAHYHAUHYAHAUA

ahahHAYAhAUAHAUH

I was not impressed, but Mass Effect more than makes up for it.

Flynn

Stench said:
lol9mf.jpg

AHAAUAHUAYHAHAUAHYHAUHYAHAUA

ahahHAYAhAUAHAUH

I was not impressed, but Mass Effect more than makes up for it.

Where's the proof that Mass Effect isn't more of the same? I reserving judgement until I actually play the game.

Speevy

Banned
The score isn't what's so funny. They describe the combat as having a limitless amount of depth, and say the score should be higher. :lol

Stench

Banned
Himuro said:
Why was this given 9.9?
istockphoto_503155_dollar_u_1000.jpg

bowler_hat.jpg

Flynn said:
Where's the proof that Mass Effect isn't more of the same? I reserving judgement until I actually play the game.
'Cuz it's in OUTER SPACE.

Outer space makes everything better. And in the game you can, like, talk and shit.

Aaron

I didn't have a problem with the combat in Jade Empire, especially when I found the right set of four styles I ended up using through the whole game. It was nice to mix and match on the fly, and a huge step up from KOTOR's pure tedium it claimed as combat. Aside from the visuals, everything else was pretty much bleh.

Choosing it over Phantom Dust though should be a crime punishable in at least 12 states.

Speevy

Banned
Mass Effect isn't trying to be a great shooter, or to pay homage to science fiction. That's the difference between it and Jade Empire. It goes back to Bioware's strengths, which involve character interaction.

Hunter D

The best thing about Jade Empire was the art style. The story was kind of flat. I don't know why bioware went for a martial arts movie style plot.

Flynn

Speevy said:
Mass Effect isn't trying to be a great shooter, or to pay homage to science fiction. That's the difference between it and Jade Empire. It goes back to catering to Bioware's strengths, which involve character interaction.

Thing is, I think it does pay homage to sci-fi. The backgrounds in the game looks like they're swiped right out of a Syd Mead concept book. And the music is total Vangelis. And the tank deal that they drive around in looks straight out of Damnation Alley.

If anything this is where they're getting things right.

I'm worried that they can't handle the finer points of story and character without a good pre-fab outline.

Stench

Banned
If it's worth anything...

wow4ri.jpg

That image alone completely sells me on the game. The combat system could be garbage for all I care, if the game is full of awesome moments like that, I'm all over it.

Flynn

Stench said:
If it's worth anything...

wow4ri.jpg

That image alone completely sells me on the game. The combat system could be garbage for all I care, if the game is full of awesome moments like that, I'm all over it.

That's what I'm saying! Syd Mead up and down! This shit rocks. But games aren't ALL about scenery.

Joe Molotov

7.9 would have been closer to reality. Although they also gave Fable a 9.3, so I guess compared to that, 9.9 for Jade Empire makes sense.

temp

posting on contract only
You're past the best part of the game; Lao the Lesser's voice is hypnotizing. I need to watch Serenity again sometime to listen to that guy talk.

Dr. Strangelove said:
The battle system is horrible. I found the game to be very underwhelming as a whole.

My exact thoughts.

Even the buggy as hell KOTOR 2 was far, far more entertaning than this.

Solo

Easily the worst game BioWare ever made. Biggest disappointment of the year. Pure garbage. I cannot find anything redeeming about the game.

Flatbread

why is it that everything is so black and white with gaf?

Jade Empire was very similar in structure to KOTR 1 and 2. The story wasnt up to par with KOTR but then again what is? Still it wasnt bad either, I liked your master ending up being the betrayer. The story on the whole was much better than your average video game.

The puzzles/quests were very similar to what you do in KOTR, and the graphics were also very good. The battle system is simple, with lots of choices. The big problem is none of the enemies you face require you to change tactics. Its a problem that many video games make, They give you 80 combat moves but you only need 1 to complete the game. It makes combat tedious, repetitive, and too easy.

I believe the design choice to let players choose from a number of combat styles can hinder game play variety. The designer has to make sure that each style will be able to complete the game, in doing so its tougher to make opponents that require a specific strategy/action/weapon to defeat.

I think Jade Empire is an above average game, of the rpgs ive played on the xbox i would rank them like this

1. KOTR
2. Fable
3. Jade Empire
4. KOTR 2
5. Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance
6. Gladius

kotr i consider excellent, 2-4 are above average and 5-6 are average. I dont consider any of these games bad. After reading the above posts you would think Jade empire was as bad as gauntlet dark legacy. Some people need to gain perspective

Diggler

Say what you will about the combat (it's no Ninja Gaiden) but for me it beats the snot out of the archaic Final Fantasy turned-based rubbish. At least this (tries to) get across the more high speed feel of real time martial arts.

Ranger X

This is sadly the most overrated peace of shit i've tried since i got my Xbox.

I've found the battle system to be really boring and badly done, the story started really annoying, the presentation was "meh" and wasn't immersing me in the game and finally the graphics weren't all that hot and with extreme use of bloom lighting.
Honestly, that's a chance i only did rent that game...

Flatbread! Spoiler that shit! I don't think Himuro has finished the game yet.

Weird seeing this thread, I just finished Jade Empire last night. I enjoyed it up to the fourth chapter. It seems like Bioware finished the third chapter and realized, "Oh shit, we have to finish this game by next week." The first three chapters took me about 12 hours to finish, the rest of the game after that only took about two hours. I enjoyed the sidequests much more than the main story and there are essentially no sidequests after the third chapter.

I also agree with everyone who says that combat sucks. Especially fighting spirits. I feel into a pattern of using my sword against everyone to get through the fights as quickly as possible. Spirits, of course, are immune to the weapons and every fight with them was the same. Mash 'A' to remove some health. They block. Hit 'X' to break the block. Mash 'A' again. Repeat if necessary. The height of tedium. Especially in the graveyard with the respawning ghosts.

It seemed by the end of the game that Bioware now has essentially one plot that they keep rewriting into different settings. Someone is
not who they seem
and that changes everything! Dun dun dun.

I think Jade Empire is one of the best RPGs I've ever played, yes, I enjoyed it a little more than KOTOR (even though the combat system sucks).

Ranger X

scorpian007 said:
I think Jade Empire is one of the best RPGs I've ever played, yes, I enjoyed it a little more than KOTOR (even though the combat system sucks).

eww...
Good for you i suppose.

I didn't enjoy KOTOR either personally.

Fewr

Aaron said:
I didn't have a problem with the combat in Jade Empire, especially when I found the right set of four styles I ended up using through the whole game. It was nice to mix and match on the fly, and a huge step up from KOTOR's pure tedium it claimed as combat. Aside from the visuals, everything else was pretty much bleh.
QFT
I thought it was alright, they rushed everything in the end but it was enjoyable. I didn't like the endings though.

ohamsie

Is there any news on a KOTOR 3? I loved the first one, and the second one was still pretty good, up until the end portions.

h1nch

I love Jade Empire. The 9.9 was ****ing ridiculous, but if I were to score it, I'd probably give it an 8.0. The battle system is pretty shallow (I would have preferred Dynasty Warriors style beat em up action to the paper rock scissors system JE has), but as a few others have said, it actually gets better later on, especially when you do the arena matches. The later ones force you to mix up styles and manage your chi/health and whatnot. The story starts out lame as ****, but by the end of the game, I really loved the twists it took. The endings are pretty much lame, but that didn't bother me too much as I didn't put any emotional investment into the story (which is maybe why I liked it so much).

To me JE is a fairly above avg action adventure game with some rpg elements thrown in. Nice graphics, nice music, wicked character designs. Overall not too shabby. Of course the hype made it easy for the game to fall flat in the eyes of most, so I never really argue when someone trashes it, cuz it could easily be seen as a massive disappointment, and I've certainly trashed other games in similar situations.

Oh Himu, make sure you flirt with your party members. I played as a girl my first time thru and hooked up with Silk Fox :D

GreekWolf

Just goes to show how personal tastes vary across the board. Bioware has always been one of my favorite devs, due to the insane amount of detail and atmosphere that goes into each one of their RPGs. Of course, that doesn't mean that I actually *like* all of their work... some of it simply doesn't appeal to me, though I can certainly acknowledge that a game may be fantastic, even if it doesn't do anything for me personally.

IMO, the Baldur's Gate series will always be the pinnacle of RPGs. When it comes to content, atmosphere, story and character interaction, it really has no equal. To this day, I still consider BG2 to be Bioware's crowning achievement in their short history.

On the other hand, a game like Jade Empire has been given the highest accolades by a lot of magazines, but unfortunately, I just couldn't get into the Far East setting and martial arts battle system. Obviously, it's a great game and there's quite a few people out there who love it, but its Eastern style just didn't appeal to me. Even so, I can admire the game on its own merits, which is an attempt to do something new and unique, which sets it apart from the plethora of FF clones.

Diablos

Himuro said:
I can't stand game stories that start off with "you are special", "you're the chosen one", "you have some amazing power but we don't know what the **** it is yet.", and everyone licks your boots because you apparently have some unfulfilled destiny,
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Speevy

Banned
Himuro said:
Pretty cool game. :)

I'm in Heaven right now, helping out the Fox spirit. The whole forest quest is pretty awesome. Heaven is beautiful, the graphics in this part of the game look better than most 360 game's. :lol

Yeah, the art for that particular segment of the game is jaw-dropping.

Kittonwy

Banned
Himuro said:
Got Jade Empire for 5 dollars. I said I'd go and replay VP after beating Shenmue II a second time but honestly, noone else is playing that now so I'll wait on that.

Nice graphics. Clunky battle system and controls, yet it's fun. Good dialouge yet often overly drawn out. Nice music. Annoying story.

I can't stand game stories that start off with "you are special", "you're the chosen one", "you have some amazing power but we don't know what the **** it is yet.", and everyone licks your boots because you apparently have some unfulfilled destiny, with some old guy trailing behind who knows it but refuses to tell.

I made my character a girl because I liked the way she looked. She's the balanced character named Wu.

I have it but I can't seem to get into it, the character creation options are just so ugly, why can't I make my character to be good-looking? And why are the characters either grossly generic second generation Chinese from Alberta-lookalikes or completely typical stereotypes? There are genuinely good-looking and cool-looking Chinese people. That's one of the things I can't get past. I enjoyed KOTOR and KOTOR2 but without the Star Wars mythology and the jedi coolness it's hard to get into a Bioware title, for me anyway.

oracrest

jade empire was on the verge on enjoyable for a while, until I got to some angel character who had been assigned to watch over me, and kept complaining about how much paper work and red tape that i had caused him for killing so many people. I immediately turned the game off, and never played it again. hey game developers, lets keep office space humor at least within a setting where "offices" exist. Not ancient china (japan, whatever, does it even matter for this game?)

I used to consider Bioware one of the best companies out there, until I realized they just keep making Baldur's Gate clones in different clothes. mix an overused mechanic with bad dialogue and research, and they've lost a fan in me.

Im sure this game is very enjoyable to a lot of people, but that sort of stuff really bothers me.

On a side note, while a completely different game, Ganji's environments, especially teh "heaven" level completely blew jade empire out of the water.

temp

posting on contract only
oracrest said:
jade empire was on the verge on enjoyable for a while, until I got to some angel character who had been assigned to watch over me, and kept complaining about how much paper work and red tape that i had caused him for killing so many people. I immediately turned the game off, and never played it again. hey game developers, lets keep office space humor at least within a setting where "offices" exist. Not ancient china (japan, whatever, does it even matter for this game?)
Oh yeah, let me tell you that small joke COMPLETELY ruined the game for me.

P.S. I'm dumb.

Top Bottom