• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the 9.9: Jade Empire

Aaron

Himuro said:
How the hell do you become a lesbian?
You're not far enough yet to worry about it. Wait for Silk's sub-plot to start to kick in, and whenever some conflict comes up, always side with her. Oddly, I found the kinky girl on girl relationship to be one of the better written bits in the game. Sweet and naughty at the same time. :D

Speevy

Banned
I wasn't a huge fan of Jade Empire, but I thought its presentation was quite nice. If they had just put some engaging combat behind that, it would have been a great game.

Symytry

I tried to play this many times, but I just could not get into it. Same thing happened with Kotor. Bioware needs to figure out how to start games off in an interesting way instead of bombarding players with a friggin bore-fest for 2 hours.

oracrest

Himuro said:
This is the lamest complaint I've ever seen. He just SELLS you things. I thought that bit was funny.

It's not even in ancient China. It's a made up world that uses influence from Chinese culture. Whoever thinks Jade is actually in China must be pretty ignorant/sheltered/stupid people.

And furthermore, the paper work thing was, as I said, funny. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously yet you seem offended that they dare put humor into mythical background of the game.

Heh, youve offered me to engage in an arguement about taste, but please accept my decline.
Im a hard liner, ill be the first to admit it. My point wasn't so much much concentrated on this game per se... but more of an overriding belief that games in general dont take themselves seriously enough.

Im a firm believer that you are only as strong as your weakest link.. and something like this can simply ruin a game for me. Its no different in my eyes then when they play 80's metal in the movie Knight's tale. Sure, it may be funny, but to me also completely undermines any other serious immersion the designers try to convey. Im not trying to argue about it, but simply, If I inquired about a game on this forum, I would want people to point things out like this. My issue is one of context, not application. You shouldnt get mad at ignorant, stupid, and sheltered people anyway :)

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Based on Himuro's thoughts, I might actually purchase this game.

He's also a reliable source because he hates EGM. Right there with you buddy.

White Man

I found the game to be a noble failure. I had a good time playing it, but sometimes it took work to look past that battle system. It's presented as well as KOTOR without being burdened by the snorey setting.

golem

oracrest said:
jade empire was on the verge on enjoyable for a while, until I got to some angel character who had been assigned to watch over me, and kept complaining about how much paper work and red tape that i had caused him for killing so many people. I immediately turned the game off, and never played it again. hey game developers, lets keep office space humor at least within a setting where "offices" exist. Not ancient china (japan, whatever, does it even matter for this game?)
i guess you dont realize that chinese religions had extensive bureaucracies...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestial_bureaucracy
http://www.godchecker.com/pantheon/chinese-mythology.php?deity=JADE-EMPEROR&ds=N

Joe Molotov

golem said:

CHENG-HUANG: Protective Town Gods in charge of Buildings and Bureaucracy. Every district has its own CHENG-HUANG to guard against earthquakes, cracked paving and other disasters.

A sort of building surveyor God, your local CHENG-HUANG probably has a desk at the Town or City Hall, but can only be contacted if your phone has a star key. In case of emergency, the TU-DI Repairs Team are standing by - waiting for someone to hand them the correct form.

As representatives of the JADE-EMPEROR, they may seem unreachable and aloof, but they're doing their best. It's not easy keeping track of collapsed chimneys, abandoned bicycles, busted street lamps and potholes in the road. Especially at the weekend.

Like most Public Servant Gods in China, the CHENG-HUANG are sticklers for paperwork. All complaints and damage reports must be submitted on the correct form. Even departing souls are required to fill out a form before their journey to Heaven is expidited.

I think oracrest should be forced to play the game twice now as penance. :lol

Coincidence: I'm playing this game right now too.

I like it a lot, I don't get this hate. The battle system's refreshing, even if it doesn't evolve much, it's still fun. Story's good, dungeons are good, and...it's simply just pretty fun. Some nice area's + scenery too.

Right now, in the middle of chapter 3.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Himuro said:
I don't hate EGM...haha

Anyways, I'm in the Imperial City now. Holy crap this place is big. :D Tons of people too. I am getting Shenmue II flashbacks now. I have to impress a judge at the arena so I can sneak into the enemies ranks and own them up...just like in Shenmue II! Fun!

I am attempting to persuade Silk Fox that women > men and that she should go for my character. Mwahaha.

I'm definitely enjoying the characters. When I got to the city I spoke to Wild Flower and she went insane. The two demons inside of her starting fighting and it was quite awesome, I must admit. Black Whirlwind told me of a story where he had to take care of rats; he doused the pool where they drink water with wine, and before they got there he helped himself, getting wasted and eventually blacking out. When he came to, the rats exploded the monastary where he was doing his work. Apparently they were covered in the wine and got caught in some fire...OOPS!:lol

Ahhh, the Imperial City and the Arena... the exact point where this game went from pretty good to absolutely horrible... wait till you deal with the Arena load times!

Fewr

Himuro said:
This game is hilarious. God, if there's one thing I like about Bioware, their game dialouge is often, at the very least, chuckle worthy (in a good way).

"I'm feeling healthy. Two testicles please."

:lol
My favourite part is when
you meet an Englishman in the big city
. The dialogue would have been lame in other circumstances, but since it was unexpected, it amused me.

EDIT: Dunno if that should be taken as a spoiler. (reckon not)

Gorey

One of the first Bioware games I couldn't bring myself to finish. It just got...boring. The combat=clunky criticisms are on the mark.

That said it was fun to look at. The dialogue was humorous at times. I still feel guilty for not getting to the end, being a Bioware fan and so on.

It's listed as being 360 compatible..maybe I'll try to finish it. Again.

oracrest

Himuro said:
Yeah man, I mean. Damn. Have you not atleast seen Dragonball Z? Yu Yu Hakusho? Anything based off of SOME Chinese religion? Heaven having officials and being set up like a government is old ass news.

My issue was with the specific mention of the term red tape in the context of ancient chinese myth. Again, im not trying to argue any of the stuff you guys are trying to prove to me.

And my use of the term "office" was as it relates to a modern business office, with staplers, fax machines, "red tape", and telephones. Hope that clears up any confusion.

And also that minute detail was what broke the camel's back for me, on top of a redundant baldur's gate style game system and uninspiring dialogue.

Azih

oracrest said:
jade empire was on the verge on enjoyable for a while, until I got to some angel character who had been assigned to watch over me, and kept complaining about how much paper work and red tape that i had caused him for killing so many people. I immediately turned the game off, and never played it again. hey game developers, lets keep office space humor at least within a setting where "offices" exist. Not ancient china (japan, whatever, does it even matter for this game?)
He was from the Celestial Heaven, the ancient chinese concept of heaven was extremely, get this, BEUREAUCRATIC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestial_bureaucracy

Idot.

oracrest said:
bad... research
HAH!

firex

jade empire is so bad it makes me sad I paid $30 for it over a year ago. I'm by no means an expert or anything on Chinese culture, but a lot of the names and pronunciation were done to the point you could tell the voice actors and writers had no idea how to pronounce a lot of names. and I mean, I learned that in Chinese 101, you'd think they'd have someone to check that with the dialogue. I did have a fun time with the last fight, though:
I used the paralyzing palm technique, and managed to paralyze him just as he went into focus mode, so I could keep him stunned and he couldn't deactivate it... so eventually he just ran out of focus and I beat him easily.

Story and plot twists were horrible, and the game felt like it was maybe 40% done. I'm not a big Bioware fan, but their other games are all good even if I'm not interested in the content that much (Baldur's Gate comes to mind). Jade Empire is just disappointing and mediocre/below-average on the whole.

temjin

Banned
I really enjoyed the game and it's story which I thought progressed at a very weird pace sometimes. However, I can'y bring myself to play through it again.

temp

posting on contract only
Himuro said:
I'm on Chapter 4 on Jade now.

Chapter 3 was awesome.
Chapter 3 was the peak of the game, if I remember right. Don't get your hopes up for an overly-long game.

temp

posting on contract only
Himuro said:
I'm not getting my hopes up at all. If you do the quests, and take your time, Jade is long enough. You guys seem to be complaining just to be complaining.

Anyways, um...holy shit? I didn't expect that. o_O Actually, I kinda expected that,
but not that you die
I'm not talking about that; I just mean the chapters get a lot shorter. It's misleading.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Most annoying thing about JE for me was the ****ing gormless main characters you had to choose from, they all have a confused look on their faces for the WHOLE GAME. Thank god Mass Effect will mark the start of Bioware using proper digital acting, should make those long (long) conversations a bit easier to sit through.

That battle system was annoying too, and most people would have played the entire game without using its coolest feature, which was combining the special powers to make some ultra-gorey instand death moves that looked awesome.

Really though, it all would have been forgivable (as so many flaws in Biowares past efforts are) if they got the RPG element right, but they didnt, it was closer to DMC than KOTOR..actually it was probably wasnt even as deep as DMC.

At the time i thought it was ok, looking back i think it was probably Biowares worst game.

John Cleese blowing the living shit out of 'natives' was hilarious though.

Top Bottom