• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the hate party: God of War

Bebpo

Banned
I know there'd been a lot of GoW bashing here at GAF, but for the most part I had ignored all of it as I wanted to go into the game with an open mind. So today I finally sat down and played through all of God of War and I'm not quite sure I want to join the hate parade for the game, but there are definitely a few 'issues' that I thought stuck out about the title which I will illustrate through bad unfunny drawings of stick Kratos.

godsad.jpg

Random thoughts:

+Nice scenery. The architecture was nicely modeled and the scope was top-notch.
-No free camera. For the most part the camera was fine during action scenes and all enemies were able to stay in view. But 3d platforming should not have LOCKED CAMERA VIEWS. This is especially bad when backtracking or going from a direction that the camera doesn't expect and you end up staring at the screen not being able to see ANYTHING in front of you.
+Hurray for trying to be a platformer
-Boo for having the most frustrating, terrible platforming this generation due to a bad camera.
-I think they should make a sequel to GoW and call it Plank Walker 2: Revenge of the Planks. Obviously it will sell in millions since look at how well this plank walking game did ;) j/k. The walking itself wasn't 'that' bad (it sure wasn't good) but there was seriously waaaay too much plank walking in the damn game. wtf.
+60fps, yay.
-Most screen tearing I've ever seen in a game. Seemed much worse in 480p so I stuck to 480i. It's kinda wierd because you expect screen tearing in games where the users have the camera and sometimes they point at too many objects and the game tears rather than dropping framerate. Yet since all the camera angles are locked and the developers knew exactly what would be on-screen there really shouldn't have been tearing like every 30 seconds.
+Good amount of moves. yay.
-no lock-on. This really kept the battle system from ever feeling tightly knitted and deep allowing intense one on one battles. Instead the battle system feels more like crowd-control aka. Dynasty Warriors where you do non-precise large scale rolling and wide attacks to take out multiple enemies.
+Nice FMV. The 2d cut-outs type FMV scene was really neat and the transition between the 2d art and 3d people was excellent.
+Story was alright. Good background setting, but Kratos's story was not very existant.
-Kratos was a pretty terrible lead character. I like his design, but actual personality was basic non-existant and he just screamed of generic rage. It's possible to have anti-heros that the audience still likes and enjoys watching, but that's not Kratos. He just comes off as an ass that you'd like to see get killed.
+Main temple area was great. It had story, it had personality, it had interesting locations, it had the metriodvania returning to old areas with new abilities and gradually seeing the entire map.
-Starting section with Hydras and pre-desert was pretty boring. Lots of plank walking, drab and dark locations and nothing that stood out.
+Enemies were pretty fun, though it would've been nice if there were more.
-Everything has too much life in the game. Instead of going with tough enemies that have good AI, GoW goes with simple stupid AI that has tons of life and takes a crapload of hits to die.
-In addition rooms full of respawning enemies that all have tons of AI artificially lengthen the game and share the same problem of boredom that the Prince of Persia 3d battles have. Make it hard! Don't just make it long.

Yeah I dunno. I enjoyed it as I would a popcorn b-movie matinee. You go in for a few hours, watch a movie that's decent but has almost enough bad as it does good and you walk out and say "meh, I guess it was worth 2 hours and $7". To me, it seemed like it was Prince of Persia SoT in reverse. Whereas SoT had wonderful platforming mixed with repetitive terrible action. GoW has enjoyable action with terrible platforming and block pushing puzzles. If GoW2 comes out I'd probably give it a chance, but I wouldn't buy it at full price unless they give the user control of the camera.

Oh well, Oni4 import is out in a day or two and while the battle system might not be as flashy and the locations surely won't be as good looking. At least the game has a lock-on button, a fully controllable camera, and solid fundementals for its base battle system. Plus it's 30-40 hours long with 5 playable characters and 100 different weapons. Yay.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
About the kick crate thing...you know you could charge up your kick, right? It made crate pushing a bit speedier. But wtf is crate pushing doing in a game like this? :|

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
C'mon Bebpo, unleash your hate. You know you want to.

God of War stinks. Generic rage, button-mashing, and so on. *yawn*

Bebpo

Banned
Wario64 said:
About the kick crate thing...you know you could charge up your kick, right? It made crate pushing a bit speedier. But wtf is crate pushing doing in a game like this? :|

Yeah I know but on the heavy crates they still barely moved even at full kick. That goddamn spike room was annoying because the crate moved SO SLOW even when kicking at max.

Belfast

Wario64 said:

All ancient temples of death have crates, that's why. I mean, if you really want Pandora's box, you're gonna have to go through all kinds of shit.

i think you guys are pussies. Im fuckin weaksauce and i made it through Hades and the blades and shit without having to retry anything more than once or twice.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Hate from vocal minority as always, actually ranked around 4th overall for 2005 for top game poll here.

We are sorry we cant be average generic corporate trash eaters like yourself.

Gattsu25

Banned
Ryudo said:
We are sorry we cant be average generic corporate trash eaters like yourself.
For an action adventure game, GOW wasn't average at all...the game only really begins to look bad when compared to NG or DMC3

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
HomerSimpson-Man said:
What is your problem? I addressed the so called "hate party". What do you want after a lot of people's choices here?

Do you like want to fight me or something ?

Ryudo said:
Do you like want to fight me or something ?

Seriously, what is your problem? Have I offended a game of yours to call me average generic corporate trash eaters? If I did, I can't really see when, I don't really join hate tirades against people's favorites. People actually like this game a lot even here and Bebpo was talking about the bashing it gets, but doesn't really except from the same old few like C-.

Matlock

Banned
Re: your "review"

Kratos was one of the most tragic characters ever, and worked hard to get to his goal. He didn't get there because gods gave him power, he got there because he FUCKING WANTED TO. Pure willpower. So badass.

As for the camera and platforming/plankwalking--get over it, and work on not sucking at it. :p

edit: HAHAHAHA YOU INVOKED THE BLADE TOWER. That was so easy if you weren't a blithering retard. Seriously, jeez.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Seriously, what is your problem? Have I offended a game of yours to call me average generic corporate trash eaters? If I did, I can't really see when, I don't really join hate tirades against people's favorites. People actually like this game a lot even here and Bebpo was talking about the bashing it gets, but doesn't really except from the same old few like C-.

I took exception to your remark about it being popular somehow equating to it being the best. Popular almost never = the best as people are like sheep. I have no problem with you at all my last comment was supposed to be a joke.

Having played GOW, i hated it. It was generic apart from the technically great cg and i wouldnt put it in the same league as something like DMC3 or NG. I am fascinated how this game won any awards, but thats just me.

Wakune said:
I know you weren't talking to me, so I'm not going to respond.

Your fine, i actually agree with you for the most part.

ninja scooter said:
I'll fight you.

:) That made my arvo.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Quite possibly the most overrated games of 2005, one of the few games I honestly regret having purchased for full price.

Or actually, having purchased at all. Anyone wanna buy my copy?

I think it was slightly overrated. But only slightly. I felt there were a lot of really remarkably great moments, but it did seem like it kind of went a bit limp after the opening stage.

Bebpo

Banned
Just watched the bonus movie stuff. That was actually really cool and a great inclusion. The 2d artists for the backgrounds and characters/monsters are really awesome. Though I think most of the monsters lost something in their transition to 3d.

Wakune said:
For an action adventure game, GOW wasn't average at all...the game only really begins to look bad when compared to NG or DMC3

The game feels closest to Rygar IMO. It's like Rygar with better graphics, a better battle system, and a slightly longer adventure.

demi

I paid half price for the game, it's good for a single playthrough, but going through it more than once? Bleeeeugh

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
wow, i had a few issues with two specific points in GOW, but other than that, i thought it was fantastic.

Much more fun that DMC and NG.

I class myself as "THE SUCK" on action games too and i had no trouble rushing through it.

Aaaah, lets get this party started, CRAZY! Wahooo!

-First, Kratos is a little pussy bitch. He was about to die fair and square, but at the last minute sucked Ares cock and was given super powers. He didn't earn much of anything.

-He then, kills his family. With his own hands, in clear site. AND THEN HAS THE NERVE to blame Ares...the hell did he do? Kratos was the one that killed em'--he was tricked my ass.

-ARRRGGGGH

-The camera system for the action isn't that great either. It's like ant versus ant. It might not have as many 'off-screen' attacks as DMC3 or Ninja Gaiden persay, but at least in those games the camera is nice and close, allowing you to perform some kickass chains and witness the action head on.

-Genre breakers. Genre breakers, and more genre breakers. You go through a button mash fest of enemies and blood's all flying over the place, and then we have a push crate puzzle....a fuckin, 'push the crate' puzzle. Then we have some more Shenmue mini-game moments, and then we have a "find handle use handle" puzzle...

-No carry over stats. Oh, you know those red orbs you've collected the whole game to build up your weapons and magic, yeah...that! Well, you can't use them because when you start a new game +, wait, oh wait, there IS NO new game +

Having said all that, God of War is amazing game with a character with some nice free-form moves, graphics, art design and sound, I give it a 9.9/10. Okay not really, I do feel Onimusha 4 will be a better adventure title as Bebpo said (since it's more straight foward action), but God of War's a cool game, I just don't see eye to eye as why it's the second coming of christ.

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:
I class myself as "THE SUCK" on action games too and i had no trouble rushing through it.

Doesn't really matter where you stand on action games since the action portions were so damn easy. I think I died once in battle but like 50 times throughout at random plank/platforming/swimming/blading stuff and I classify myself as "pretty decent" when it comes to my jumping skills, but then I also tend to have a camera I can position to see the next platform as well. Not to mention there were a couple of parts where it wasn't very obvious where to go next so I kept leaping offscreen figuring there was some platform I just wasn't seeing. If I could've just turned the camera and looked where to go next it would've saved some time.

but God of War's a cool game, I just don't see eye to eye as why it's the second coming of christ.

Yeah, I don't hate it at all. I'd say it's around an 8/10. Enjoyable kick-back and slash 7 hour game with a few really annoying spots due to bad design (camera) issues.

EDIT:

And I think I do have a grasp on GoW's story. If I'm not mistaken. Kratos was leading his army against the Vikings or some shit, he got his ass whooped, he was about to get stabbed, and then begged last minute to get super duper powers from some God and killed the Viking who should have won by exploiting some godly like power.

yeah, Kratos is a real badass, argh...n' stuff.

Matlock

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Aaaah, lets get this party started, CRAZY! Wahooo!

-First, Kratos is a little pussy bitch. He was about to die fair and square, but at the last minute sucked Ares cock and was given super powers. He didn't earn much of anything.

-He then, kills his family. With his own hands, in clear site. AND THEN HAS THE NERVE to blame Ares...the hell did he do? Kratos was the one that killed em'--he was tricked my ass.

Way to ignore 90% of the storyline.

Also, Bepbo, surely you know that if you hit X you hop back onto planks if you trip?

C- Warrior said:
Oh you're just weaksauce ;p -- admit it bitch, or I'll get 1up to steal your identity or something. Plus DMC started production in like 1998, all Mikami had as influence was Spyro the fuckin Dragon.

DMC1 and 2 were stiff as hell and rather repetitive. I'm going to try DMC3 when the SUPERIOR VERSION comes out.

Bebpo said:
Doesn't really matter where you stand on action games since the action portions were so damn easy. I think I died once in battle but like 50 times throughout at random plank/platforming/swimming/blading stuff and I classify myself as "pretty decent" when it comes to my jumping skills, but then I also tend to have a camera I can position to see the next platform as well. Not too mention there were a couple of parts where it wasn't very obvious where to go next so I kept leaping offscreen figuring there was some platform I just wasn't seeing. If I could've just turned the camera and looked where to go next it would've saved some time.

Yeah, I don't hate it at all. I'd say it's around an 8/10. Enjoyable kick-back and slash 7 hour game with a few really annoying spots due to bad design (camera) issues.

if you died 50 times on the random plank/platforming/swimming/blades stuff, you might want to reclassify yourself.

Bebpo

Banned
Matlock said:
Also, Bepbo, surely you know that if you hit X you hop back onto planks if you trip?

I know that but it's glitchy as hell. I'd say 9/10 times if I fell on a plan he wouldn't grab the ledge and instead woud just fall directly and die. Note that I'd normally fall when two planks connected at a T section since the camera would love to swing around and change up my controls.

Matlock

Banned
Bebpo said:
I know that but it's glitchy as hell. I'd say 9/10 times if I fell on a plan he wouldn't grab the ledge and instead woud just fall directly and die. Note that I'd normally fall when two planks connected at a T section since the camera would love to swing around and change up my controls.
Yeah, I'm not going to believe you here. I've played through it more than you have, slipped about a thousand times on my first playthrough, and I've NEVER had it glitch out like you're describing. :p

Kevtones

Mejilan said:
Quite possibly the most overrated games of 2005

Agreed. Also, fuck that box kicking at the start of the game. Some of the worst level/game design in recent memory. Seriously awful. WTF were they thinking?

DCharlie

I know that but it's glitchy as hell. I'd say 9/10 times if I fell on a plan he wouldn't grab the ledge and instead woud just fall directly and die.

..... huh?!

Bebpo

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
if you died 50 times on the random plank/platforming/swimming/blades stuff, you might want to reclassify yourself.

Right. Anyways, there's a difference between challenging platforming that requires skill and broken platforming that just requires you to go slow and take your time (I speed everything, so I run planks at full speed, leap up walls non-stop. I'm always running).

Maximo 1 is good example of challenging platforming that requires skill. You can run everything at full speed and if you have a good eye for distance and timing you'll make all your jumps without every having to worry about anything (especially since the camera is good).

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:
..... huh?!

MAYBE MY GAME IS BROKEN.

Honestly, I don't know how to explain it other than when he fell and was supposed to grab he hits some other object (like the connecting plank on an intersection and bounces off it instead of grabbing the ledge.) IT HAPPENED A LOT >_<

Matlock said:
DMC1 [was] stiff as hell and rather repetitive.

DMC1's combat mechanics were vastly superior to God of War's. 500 hit mash combo's doesn't make a game have better combat mechanics. Enemies that block/counter/ and have multiple attacks is what makes it superior in that regard. Like, as I'm sure you've guessed it, DMC. Whereas God of War's bosses (all...2 of them) had 2 or 3 attacks, and most of which could be countered via a simple "press and hold L1 like a little tard for however long" DMC's bosses had multiple pattern routines, new attacks per difficulty, and they each matured and changed their tactics as you fought them throughout the game. Maybe not so much Phantom, but definantly Vergil and Nightmare.

Therefore, I'm assuming you are saying DMC1 is repetative because it lacks "find handle use handle" puzzles and "button pressing mini-games" aaah, got ya.

Now, there is a possibility you played DMC1 on easy automatic, a mode where the game does the combo's for you, and 50% of the harder enemies are flat out removed from the game...hm.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree. And save the pointless upcoming banter.

Maximo is more of a jump and runner, think Super Mario World, where you can just haul ass and time all your jumps. GoW is an action game. Like, say, Castlevania 4. You can't play it the same way but it doesn't make it an inferior game, its different.

Bebpo

Banned
One thing I did like was having the roll on the right analogue. But then again I would have liked a camera there even more....hmm...

Ninja Scooter said:
Maximo is more of a jump and runner, think Super Mario World, where you can just haul ass and time all your jumps. GoW is an action game. Like, say, Castlevania 4. You can't play it the same way but it doesn't make it an inferior game, its different.

Well I guess it's like C- Warrior is saying where the pacing just feels uneven. You have these fast fast action sections and then suddenly you're tip-toeing over some planks. It's just not a smooth ride.

DCharlie

MAYBE MY GAME IS BROKEN.

seriously, it might be your pad - remember the timed section when you had to kick the box around to the area with the spikes that come out of the floor?

i couldn't grab onto the ledge...

after 20 tries, my white PS2 pad went for a fly across the room.

Plugged in a new controller and did it first time, the L1 on the other one was busted. I couldn't do it because Kratos wasn't getting the "HANG ON" instruction.

...but rolling was pointless.

Since blocking (aka turtling) via L1 saved the day 99.9% of the time. And for that 0.1%, jumping would suffice. Ninja Gaiden (which also has a block mechanic) avoided this problem by having enemies that throw your ass for massive damage for displaying such stupidity on the battlefield.

So a moveable camera in exchange would be much better function for right analog stick.

But to agree with Matlock, the only 'platforming' trouble I had was Hades. My gripe is the fact that the game has 'platforming' in the first place (to such degree) but I never thought the platforming mechanics was poorly implemented, again, save for the Hades portion.

Bebpo

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Yeah something like 50 times a just a bit much for any decent gamer skill.

Note that the game doesn't count your deaths, so I'm just guessing that number since it took me like all day to play through the entire game though my game clock was only like 7 hours.

Top Bottom